ADVERTISEMENT

California has effectively ruined NCAA sports and amateur athletics....

Autographs are valued by what the "fan" is willing to pay. If someone tells me they're my fan and will give me $10,000 for MY autographed glossy right now, I'm not arguing the value of my autograph. How in the world that be rationally regulated?

Wiley brings up a good point. What if Texas Tech sold Patrick Mahomes jersey without his name on the back?

If you buy that jersey today, who gets the money - Patrick Mahomes or the current #5? If it doesn’t have his name, how could you know? Schools could use that as a recruiting tool - you can have his old number, see how his jersey is still selling? You can get that $$$. OR #15 at Florida for Tebow or any Notre Dame or Penn State jersey. It just goes on and on how to manipulate this.

Reactions: mtfblue
Autographs are valued by what the "fan" is willing to pay. If someone tells me they're my fan and will give me $10,000 for MY autographed glossy right now, I'm not arguing the value of my autograph. How in the world that be rationally regulated?
Not if the NCAA caps the amount that can be charged for an autograph or determines that a player was paid too much and looks into it. If someone offers to pay $100k for Donovan Sims autograph and there are not strings attached that is fine by me. It is not difficult to determine a market value. Sure it is usually what someone is willing to pay, but if you offer $100k for an autograph if that player attends your school then you are not just paying for the autograph. If a player wants to do a commercial what is the going rate for a similarly known person/player? You all are saying that this would not be how the new laws are. That is why I said get out in front of it. Negotiate a compromise. If the NCAA does nothing or thinks like you all the exact things you are worried about will happen. How things should be and how things are going to be are two different things.

NCAA needs to start negotiating things such as certain percentages of jersey sales go to the players, getting paid for their likeness in video games, etc. Keep them happy with things they can have some control over.

I think the problem is the NCAA waited too long. The O’Bannon case was decided then they did nothing. Being reactive rather than proactive is never the answer. Now they want to complain but don’t have any answers.

Not if the NCAA caps the amount that can be charged for an autograph or determines that a player was paid too much and looks into it. If someone offers to pay $100k for Donovan Sims autograph and there are not strings attached that is fine by me. It is not difficult to determine a market value. Sure it is usually what someone is willing to pay, but if you offer $100k for an autograph if that player attends your school then you are not just paying for the autograph. If a player wants to do a commercial what is the going rate for a similarly known person/player? You all are saying that this would not be how the new laws are. That is why I said get out in front of it. Negotiate a compromise. If the NCAA does nothing or thinks like you all the exact things you are worried about will happen. How things should be and how things are going to be are two different things.

NCAA needs to start negotiating things such as certain percentages of jersey sales go to the players, getting paid for their likeness in video games, etc. Keep them happy with things they can have some control over.
True, but I think the argument is always going to be the same. "Why are you trying to limit what I can make? It's not fair." I get where you're coming from and think it makes sense, it's just that everybody seems to wants the wild west.

You really think the NCAA will be able to regulate this? They can't even regulate their own rules right now. Market value will be well established by Alabama, Texas, Georgia, etc. with their boosters paying their recruits millions of dollars in likeness and image deals. "Market value" is whatever people are willing to pay. If multiple dealerships are offering millions of dollars....then guess what...that is the market value.

This is going to be a disaster and those of you supporting it.....Remember this day.

Here's another one (and it's what I would do)

5 star high school recruit autographs football. High school recruit places football with his autograph on eBay. High school player creates a clever auction description that basically infers he will go to whichever university the winning bidder desires.

Florida booster Billy Bob wins the auction @ $1.5 million total, 5 star high school recruit signs with Florida.

18 months later, that same 5 star high school player has now won the heisman trophy as a true freshman, but unfortunately he has run out of money and he isn't liking the offers he is getting at Florida plus he's at odds with his head coach. He places another football on eBay with the same inference. Big John Billy Bob from Texas, an Oil Tycoon, wins the bid $5 million so the player then transfer to Texas.......

Do you see how stupid and crazy this can possibly get? And there's nothing the NCAA will be able to do about it as long as the kids are not breaking any local/state/federal laws. It's going to be the Wild, Wild, WILD, West. And any time a school like MT has a good player....you can kiss him goodbye to the highest bidder.

I do not see how any rational fan could support this. It will be the death of college athletics.

The NCAA needs to stand its ground. Warn all California universities right now that they will be banned if a single penny is paid in likeness, image, etc. deals. Furthermore, if coaches are currently using the upcoming January 1st, 2023 date as a recruiting tool, they will receive HARSH sanctions. The NCAA sends to send a message here. It's the only play it has. If it allows state-by-state laws to be passed that allow students to receive 3rd party $$$ it will be the end of the NCAA sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Blue_H
NCAA has already told the Cali schools they would be ineligible and all scheduled NCAA events will be pulled from California

Reactions: SpaceRaider
You really think the NCAA will be able to regulate this? They can't even regulate their own rules right now. Market value will be well established by Alabama, Texas, Georgia, etc. with their boosters paying their recruits millions of dollars in likeness and image deals. "Market value" is whatever people are willing to pay. If multiple dealerships are offering millions of dollars....then guess what...that is the market value.

This is going to be a disaster and those of you supporting it.....Remember this day.
I really do get it. I have the same concerns. Just trying to think of solutions for when the inevitable happens. I agree it should not happen. Also market value is that and other things. It is like with wages. A person’s market value is what someone is willing to pay, but they usually do not pay more than the going rate for a person that brings whatever value to an organization. Does one player really bring millions in value to a college? Maybe LeBron, but that is rare. I think it impacts basketball more than football.

Here's another one (and it's what I would do)

5 star high school recruit autographs football. High school recruit places football with his autograph on eBay. High school player creates a clever auction description that basically infers he will go to whichever university the winning bidder desires.

Florida booster Billy Bob wins the auction @ $1.5 million total, 5 star high school recruit signs with Florida.

18 months later, that same 5 star high school player has now won the heisman trophy as a true freshman, but unfortunately he has run out of money and he isn't liking the offers he is getting at Florida plus he's at odds with his head coach. He places another football on eBay with the same inference. Big John Billy Bob from Texas, an Oil Tycoon, wins the bid $5 million so the player then transfer to Texas.......

Do you see how stupid and crazy this can possibly get? And there's nothing the NCAA will be able to do about it as long as the kids are not breaking any local/state/federal laws. It's going to be the Wild, Wild, WILD, West. And any time a school like MT has a good player....you can kiss him goodbye to the highest bidder.

I do not see how any rational fan could support this. It will be the death of college athletics.

The NCAA needs to stand its ground. Warn all California universities right now that they will be banned if a single penny is paid in likeness, image, etc. deals. Furthermore, if coaches are currently using the upcoming January 1st, 2023 date as a recruiting tool, they will receive HARSH sanctions. The NCAA sends to send a message here. It's the only play it has. If it allows state-by-state laws to be passed that allow students to receive 3rd party $$$ it will be the end of the NCAA sooner rather than later.
That would be against the rules as I described them.

I’m all for paying the players.

I’ve always thought that the millions of dollars made by people on the backs of students under the umbrella of “university” was unfair.

That would be against the rules as I described them.

Well you won't be the one making the rules. There will be no rules against players selling autographed memorabilia. Recruiting is literally just going to be "who will pay me the most"

And we all know how broke MT is.

ADVERTISEMENT