ADVERTISEMENT

BB RECRUITING Womens’ Transfer Portal Opens

jakeboldenbrp

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2024
Shelbyville, TN

Some intriguing names already hitting the portal. Not certain the Lady Raiders' are in "need" of anything losing 2 starters. Albeit, CUSA POY Wheeler and Future MT HOF Courtney Whitson are big losses, but I'd feel good adding another stretch-4 and high volume scorer.

I'd anticipate redshirt-freshman Jada Harrison and Class of '24 signee Savannah Davis to pick up scoring duties at the guards and Jada Grannum will see an uptick in minutes at the 5 if/when Boldyreva and Grabovskaia get in foul trouble/need rest.

I think the ideal pick-up would either be a young 4/5 with a physical presence that compliments Boldyreva's, or a veteran scoring guard that seems to be the pick-up every two years, Wheeler and Saar being the most recent.

The portal season is still young and the Lady Raiders are still kicking it. This list will grow as the P5's begin to be eliminated. Without further banter, back to the topic at hand -- some names I like:

Gracie Merkle, 6'6" Redshirt-Freshman C (Hometown: Mt. Washington, KY) - Bellarmine
- Sat out '23-'24 season due to injury
- '23 Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year averaging 15.1 points/game (on 70% shooting), 11 rebounds/game, 2.3 blocks/game
- '22 Miss Kentucky Basketball and Gatorade POY for Kentucky her senior season at Bullitt East HS
- Large presence down low, very physical. Similar game to Boldyreva (minus 3-point shooting threat), is similar in body-type to Graboskaia

Carter McCray, 6'1" Freshman C (Hometown: Oberlin, OH) - Northern Kentucky
- Started in 22 games at NKU and averaged 17.1 points/game (on 59% shooting), 11.7 rebounds/game, 1.6 assists/game
- One of the best rebounders in the portal. 8th nationally in off. rebounds/game, 12th in total rebounds, 13th in rebounds/game, and 19th in double-doubles.
- '24 Horizon League Freshman of the Year
- Athletic Frame that lives down low. Not a deep ball threat (no attempts from 3).
- Scored 9 points, 11 rebounds against MT on 12/20

Laniah Randle, 5'11" Junior F (Hometown: Wichita, KS) - Southern Illinois
- Missouri Valley Conference First-Team, Most Improved Player
- Led the MVC with 4 30+ point games including a career-high 36 vs. Indiana State
- Averaged 18.7 points/game, 8.8 rebounds/game (Top 3 in MVC in both categories)
- Great scorer off the bounce, the Salukis ran their offense through her. It's tough to say how that style will transition to MT, but it worked for Wheeler from Marshall. Randle is not a threat from deep.

Izzy Higginbottom, 5'7" Junior G (Hometown: Batesville, AR) - Arkansas State
- '24 All-Sun Belt First Team after leading the SBC with 22.2 points/game (8th nationally) on 46.2% shooting
- Is the closest replacement you will find to Savannah Wheeler. Three-level scorer (37% 3-point shooting), gets to the free throw line (2nd nationally in FTM, 7th nationally in FTA), 7 30-point games.
- Has P5-landing written all over her, but proximity to Murfreesboro may help MT on the recruiting trail

Terren Ward, 5'11" Senior G (Jesup, GA) - Georgia Southern
- '24 All-Sun Belt First Team after ranking 10th nationally with 22.1 points/game (on 40% shooting) and led SBC with 9.1 rebounds/games.
- She shoots... ALOT... over 20 attempts/game... ALOT... I don't know how that would look in a balanced offense that Insell likes to run, but she is a lengthy guard that has similarities to Scott, and has the ability to guard the block (Top 10 in SBC in steals/game).

Ivy League Graduate transfers:
The Ivy League doesn't allow graduate players to play so these are some graduate transfers that are proven scorers that fit the rental/proven scorer archetype I alluded to earlier.

-Kyla Jones, 5’9 Senior G (Hometown: Chicago, IL) - Brown (17.1 points/game)
-Jordan Obi, 6'1" Senior F (Hometown: Hartford, CT) - Penn (14.8 points/game, 7.7 rebounds/game)
-Kaitlyn Chen, 5'9" Senior G (Hometown: San Marino, CA) - Princeton (15.1 points/game, 4.2 assists/game)

Reactions: Tomorrow299
Here's to hoping we don't lose anyone in the portal. Scared of losing Scott and/or Boldyreva.
I agree. My judgement is based on those that are eligible to stay, will. I do feel good about that. In regards to Scott, Matt Insell would appear to be very confident in her return.

They've done a good job with continuity on all fronts. I thought the team would blow up after the lose to Colorado in Durham last year. Ending your season in games like that can be detrimental in the portal era.

Would be great to get Chen - maybe the influence of playing us earlier this year will help with that a la Savannah Wheeler. Having a solid PG option to replace her for one year would be awesome since Jada may not be full speed ahead just yet, or might need a balancing act.

Reactions: MTFAN61 and Hop45
I thought Chen was really good when we played them earlier this year. Would be a nice get.

Chen is heavily rumored to be headed to UCONN? …and just saw where Higginbottom is headed to Arkansas. Maddie Scherr out of Kentucky is a Insell type of player, and Ajae Petty is a beast in the post (also out of Kentucky), but we don’t really need her.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakeboldenbrp
Chen can play for any team in the country. She is legit. Agree, that a one year point guard would be a good insurance policy. I think we may have one or two sleepers on our bench that will make some noise next season.

Reactions: subkyle
MT is a top 40-50 program, so the only transfers you'd might see is to a blue blood type, but we've seen several times that if you ball out at Middle and have the right look, your going to get drafted.

Being from outside the country, I get a feeling transferring to a P4 program doesn't have the same kind of allure as it does with girls from here. If it did, she'd have been gone by now. Only way I see one this year is if they pull a Courtney Blakely and get nervous about being replaced by the talent coming in.

With a potential lineup of Harrison-Gregory-Scott-Nas-Grabo, I'd want to see them add a 3 level scorer they can bring off the bench so there's not any pressure on Savannah to be that from the get go. Could see us legit going 10 deep if CRI would ever allow it

It is confirmed that Clarksville's Imari Berry has reopened her recruitment. She will no longer be a Clemson Tiger.
From the article I read it appears her interests are still primarily the power schools.
Matt is such an excellent recruiter will be interesting to see if he decides to reach out to her.

It is confirmed that Clarksville's Imari Berry has reopened her recruitment. She will no longer be a Clemson Tiger.
From the article I read it appears her interests are still primarily the power schools.
Matt is such an excellent recruiter will be interesting to see if he decides to reach out to her.
From what I have seen when I watched them play I much prefer Harrison and new Savannah to Berry. But would still try to get her.

For me, I'd rather that time being spent trying to get a commitment out of Blair Baugus or Macie Phifer, who was just named POY in Mississippi. Berry is gonna go to the highest bidder

Everybody keeps saying how good Jada is, and I'm sure she is. Do we know for sure she will be healthy? Seems like she has been in that boot an awful long time! Even so, risk for re-injury? Need solid back up plan, just in case.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
For me, I'd rather that time being spent trying to get a commitment out of Blair Baugus or Macie Phifer, who was just named POY in Mississippi. Berry is gonna go to the highest bidder
Phifer would be a great get, and we've also offered her a while ago. I'm sure the coaches are going after her pretty forcefully!

Everybody keeps saying how good Jada is, and I'm sure she is. Do we know for sure she will be healthy? Seems like she has been in that boot an awful long time! Even so, risk for re-injury? Need solid back up plan, just in case.
My understanding is she played her whole senior year of high school on the bad foot and had the resources to get surgery on it entering college. I’d agree she’s been in a boot longer than I’d expect. If you played a whole season on a bad foot I’m sure there will be repercussions versus getting it treated immediately upon injury.

Phifer would be a great get, and we've also offered her a while ago. I'm sure the coaches are going after her pretty forcefully!
I've been following her since Middle offered last season. Best I can tell MT is the best offer she has, crossing my fingers that the P4 schools don't pay attention till she's signed. I love that we gotten bigger in the front court, now we need to get bigger in the backcourt

I've been following her since Middle offered last season. Best I can tell MT is the best offer she has, crossing my fingers that the P4 schools don't pay attention till she's signed. I love that we gotten bigger in the front court, now we need to get bigger in the backcourt
Need some additional size to go with Ta'Mia for sure. Sifa is 5'11" and will play a bigger role next year as well, but that's two out of... a bunch!

Need some additional size to go with Ta'Mia for sure. Sifa is 5'11" and will play a bigger role next year as well, but that's two out of... a bunch!
Phifer is a 5'11 G/F so signing her would def give us some size in the backcourt. Multi sport star as well

My understanding is she played her whole senior year of high school on the bad foot and had the resources to get surgery on it entering college. I’d agree she’s been in a boot longer than I’d expect. If you played a whole season on a bad foot I’m sure there will be repercussions versus getting it treated immediately upon injury.
I believe I heard CRI say during an interview a few weeks back that he doesn't plan to work her without the boot until around August. So sounds like definitely taking time to let it heal.

Would be something to see Matt go after Bellarmine's Gracie Merkle at 6' 6". Freshman of the year in '22 at 15 ppg/11 rpg. Was out due to injury last year. She's extremely talented. Our strength & conditioning coach could do wonders for her. To have 3 talented centers between 6' 5" & 6' 6" would be a terror on the floor.
We could basically play 2 players 6' 5" or taller practically the whole game if desired.

Would be something to see Matt go after Bellarmine's Gracie Merkle at 6' 6". Freshman of the year in '22 at 15 ppg/11 rpg. Was out due to injury last year. She's extremely talented. Our strength & conditioning coach could do wonders for her. To have 3 talented centers between 6' 5" & 6' 6" would be a terror on the floor.
We could basically play 2 players 6' 5" or taller practically the whole game if desired.
Would also be telling of how they view Mason. To play 2 bigs like that, at least 1 of them needs to a threat on the perimeter so the lack of spacing doesn't hurt the offense

Would also be telling of how they view Mason. To play 2 bigs like that, at least 1 of them needs to a threat on the perimeter so the lack of spacing doesn't hurt the offense
In the coaches' shows this year, CRI has said several times how she's one of the most improved -- if not THE most improved -- on the team. She'll be able to fill a great spot as a role player next year in her R-SO season, hoping she sticks around.

In the coaches' shows this year, CRI has said several times how she's one of the most improved -- if not THE most improved -- on the team. She'll be able to fill a great spot as a role player next year in her R-SO season, hoping she sticks around.
Full disclosure I dont listen to the coaches show, but I'm glad that she's made progress, trying to guess how a C's game will translate to college is always tough to tell. I figured Grannum would always be the best candidate to transfer among the post players.

Even if Mason doesn't hang around, I always want to see local kids do well

Trying to remember something. Who took the redshirt this year that CRI said has developed great passing skills, & thinks will have a major impact next year?

I saw a post on their board that six latech wbb players have entered the portal.
Ayen Angoi, 6’0, F, Soph. (0.8 ppg)
-averaged 10 minutes over 16 appearances

Amaya Brannon, 5’11, G, Jr. (4.7 ppg)
-started 4 games, averaged 16 minutes

Anja Bukvic, 5’10, G, Soph. (4.7 ppg)
-started 3 games, averaged 15 minutes

Silvia Nativi, 6’0, G, Jr. (5.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg)
-started all 33 games, averaged 27 minutes

Paris Guillory, 5’7, G, Fr. (6.1 ppg)
-played in 22 games, averaged 13 minutes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT