ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee at Jacksonville State Game Thread

Jordan Thompson over-runs what would've been a HUGE sack on 3rd down in Blue Raider territory. Huff scrambles to pick up the first and get in the red zone

2-YARD RUSHING TOUCHDOWN BY TYLER HUFF

Jacksonville State makes Middle Tennessee pay for the missed sack and extends the lead.

Middle Tennessee: 13
Jacksonville State: 28
5:34 3Q

We're just bad. Team has no identity or strengths. Throwing it up to Holden Willis and Kelly is flashy but isn't enough to win games. Not even close actually. We need a bigger QB like theirs who can run with some authority. That's what is winning them this game. They're averaging 8.3 YPC to our 3.7. Same story, different day.

Also cannot trade FG's for TD's with a team like this. Should have been going for it on 4th down. Too late now, oh well. It is so painful being a fan of this school

We're just bad. Team has no identity or strengths. Throwing it up to Holden Willis and Kelly is flashy but isn't enough to win games. Not even close actually. We need a bigger QB like theirs who can run with some authority. That's what is winning them this game. They're averaging 8.3 YPC to our 3.7. Same story, different day.

Also cannot trade FG's for TD's with a team like this. Should have been going for it on 4th down. Too late now, oh well. It is so painful being a fan of this school

We absolutely, 100% must have a dual threat QB. NV can move a little bit around the pocket and evade a rush, but is ineffective as a running threat.

Personally, I think Jax has the right offense for a school at our level. If you build a high level passing game, the portal will pick it apart. Get yourself a running QB and run the read/option - there's tons of those kids in high schools.

The defense needs more and better players. I am not going to call out #'s, but there have been times where guys are positioned perfectly to make a play, and just can't do it. The strength of the D is the line, and they're just gassed at this point - they don't have 4th quarter depth.

4-YARD RECEIVING TOUCHDOWN BY MYLES BUTLER

Vattiato finds Alabama native Butler on 4th and 3 from the 4 for six. Rankin XP good.

Middle Tennessee: 20
Jacksonville State: 35
11:33 4Q

Based on the graphic they just showed, we are going to give up 400+ yds rushing. Unacceptable!

JSU averaging 8.5 YPC.....

Tre Stewart 210 yards on 21 carries for 10 YPC average.....

They've only completed 10 passes all night... Was there ever a thought to load the box and make them beat us throwing the ball? Put 8 in the box and dare them. There is nothing more maddening than letting a team run wild on you, which unfortunately was quite predictable with this bunch. I really do believe it takes effort to be this bad. Football is not rocket science.

And this coach wants to run a 3-4 base? Boy. We are going to be looking for a new coach in 2-3 years, assuming McPhee doesn't give him a 5 year extension this off season........

Last edited:
I mean seriously did these guys not tackle in high school to get a college footbal offer because they damn sure don’t display a single fundamental of tackling. It’s like they hope to trip the guy with the ball.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Nice to watch a game without silly turnovers and crazy penalties. Didn't beat ourselves, but man, that was the worst display of tackling I have ever seen at any level. It was awful!

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT