ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL CUSA Championship Game: Middle Tennessee vs Marshall (CBSSN), 7:30 PM, Saturday, 3/11/2017

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
Tip-Off: 7:30 p.m. CT
Legacy Arena at the BJCC

TV: CBS Sports Network
Comcast: Channel 1721
DirecTV: Channel 221
Dish: Channel 158
AT&T U-verse: Channel 1643

Radio: 1450 AM, 94.9 FM, 95.1 FM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM

warren nolan live rpi: MT #36 / Marshall #110

Live-RPI.com: MT #35 / Marshall #106

Sagarin: MT #62 / Marshall #160

Pomeroy: MT #48 / Marshall #148

KPI: MT #32 / Marshall #147

ESPN BPI: MT #52 / Marshall #161

Last edited:
Tip-Off: 7:30 p.m. CT
Legacy Arena at the BJCC

TV: CBS Sports Network
Comcast: Channel 1721
DirecTV: Channel 221
Dish: Channel 158
AT&T U-verse: Channel 1643

Radio: 1450 AM, 94.9 FM, 95.1 FM, 100.5 FM, 101.9 FM

warren nolan live rpi: MT #36 / Marshall #110

Live-RPI.com: MT #35 / Marshall #106

Sagarin: MT #62 / Marshall #160

Pomeroy: MT #48 / Marshall #148

KPI: MT #32 / Marshall #147

ESPN BPI: MT #52 / Marshall #161

Official NCAA RPI (as of March 9th) MT #36 / Marshall #122

MT is the favorite at -9.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
excerpt:

...We have the Conference-USA Championship on Saturday evening, as the top-seeded Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders take on the #6 seed Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Marshall Thundering Herd reached the final with wins over FAU, Old Dominion and in their last outing, the #2 seed Louisiana Tech by a final score of 93-77. Jon Elmore led the team with 21 points on 7 of 14 shooting from the floor with all 7 makes coming from behind the arc. Ryan Taylor came 2nd with 19 points on 7 of 11 shooting with 11 rebounds for the double-double, while Dtevie Browning and Austin Loop came right behind with 18 points apiece. Browning went 6 of 16 from the floor with a pair of threes, 6 rebounds, a pair of steals and a team-high 7 assists, while Loop, like Elmore, did all of his scoring from behind the arc hitting 6 of his 8 3-point attempts in the win. C.J. Burks added 11 points with a pair of threes and 3 assists going 4 of 5 off of the bench. Elmore leads the team with an average of 19.9 points and 6 assists per game while Taylor leads the team in rebounding with 8.4 rebounds per game this season. As a team, Marshall is scoring the 6th-most points per game in the country with 86 per game on 45.6% shooting from the field, 36.5% from behind the arc and 73.5% from the foul line this season.

The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders reached the final with wins over UTSA and in their last outing, UTEP, by a final score of 82-56. Reggie Upshaw led the team with 18 points on 6 of 11 shooting from the field with 3 triples and a team-high 8 rebounds. Giddy Potts came 2nd with 14 points on 5 of 9 shooting with 7 boards and a whopping 5 steals, while JaCorey Williams came right behing with 13 points and 6 rebounds. Antwain Johnson added 11 points with a pair of threes in 17 minutes off of the bench, while Tyrik Dixon went just 1 of 7 from the floor, but made up for it by grabbing 7 rebounds and dishing out a team-high 5 assists in the win. Williams leads the team by averaging 17.3 points and 7.4 rebounds per game while Dixon is the team’s leading assist man, dishing out 3.2 assists per game this season. As a team, Middle Tennessee is scoring 74.8 points per game on 48.8% shooting from the field, 37% from behind the arc and 69.8% from the foul line this season.

Marshall is 5-2-1 ATS in their last 8 neutral site games and 9-4 ATS in their last 13 games following a win while the over is 17-5 in their last 22 games as an underdog. Middle Tennessee is 9-2 ATS in their last 11 neutral site games and 13-3 ATS in their last 16 games against a team with a winning record while the over is 4-0 in their last 4 games overall. The favorite has covered the spread in each of the last 6 meetings between these two teams.

Marshall making the final is a great story but that doesn’t change the fact that the Herd barely play a lick of defense at times, something that’s not good against a Middle Tennessee team that is looking like a serious dark horse if they make the tournament.....

Didn't really expect to see Marshall in the finals. I would generally view that as a favorable matchup for the Blue Raiders. That said, a barrage of 3 pointers from start to finish is about the one thing Marshall could do that would cause me concern. It was crazy watching Marshall bomb 3s vs LaTech. What did they end up with? 19 or 20 made 3s?! Their 3pt% was dang good also. The upside to all that, it is difficult and unlikely that a team would shoot lights out from downtown in back to back games.

If the Blue Raiders come out and play with the energy, intensity, and focus against Marshall that they played with vs UTEP, then I would really like the Blue Raiders chances. It seems the Blue Raiders got some payback for that loss out at UTEP in the middle of the season.

I just hope the Blue Raiders keep up that energy and motivation. Just maybe seeing all those 3s by Marshall will be a reminder to the Blue Raiders that they can't slack any in the finals game.

We are at the Marshall hotel. Thought once or twice about pulling the alarm last night! They've put up green and black streamers and a good luck Herd sign in the lobby. Ugh.

I like this matchup for us much better than La Tech.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
excerpt:

...Midway through the second half of Marshall's 93-77 win over the Bulldogs in the Conference USA Tournament semifinals at Legacy Arena, the Herd's third-year coach went to his small lineup.

D'Antoni put 6-foot-3 Jon Elmore, 6-3 Stevie Browning, 6-4 Austin Loop and 6-3 C.J. Burks - four guards - on the floor with 6-5 forward Ryan Taylor.

The rest was history.

Marshall's "small ball" lineup was too quick, too athletic, shot the 3-pointer too well and created impossible defensive matchups for Louisiana Tech.

That's what turned Marshall's narrow 62-59 lead with 11:48 remaining into a 16-point victory. It's also what advanced Marshall into the C-USA Tournament championship game against Middle Tennessee at 8:30 p.m. Saturday.

"It gives us five people capable of hitting the 3, and five people capable of going to the basket," explained D'Antoni. "It keeps the floor spread a little bit more. It's a little bit quicker lineup. I didn't think Louisiana Tech could take advantage of it."

Ready for some irony?

The mother of this invention was Middle Tennessee taking a 47-26 halftime lead against Marshall on Feb. 18 in the Henderson Center. D'Antoni countered with his four-of-a-kind, ace-in-the-hole lineup in the second half and outscored the Blue Raiders 60-50 in an eventual 97-86 loss.

But, an intriguing concept was born. Basically, it puts Marshall's best five players - regardless of size - on the floor together.....

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_f19a6973-a3c3-5085-9139-01978b3882fd.html
'Small ball' puts MU in title game

interesting article on the Marshall coach's philosophy...

The D’Antoni Basketball Revolution Goes To College

...D’Antoni knows all of the percentages. “I’ve told our players the numbers forever,” D’Antoni said. “When you look at offense, it’s not about the overall scheme — it’s about the actions within an offense, and you have to know the best odds for scoring.” Using data culled from the NBA, which D’Antoni contended still applies to the college game, a corner 3, which is worth 1.27 points per shot, is the best shot in basketball. The next best shot? “Any other three,” he said. A lay-up — “a clean lay-up,” D’Antoni stresses — is even better: 1.8 points per shot.NBA’s most recent data, a shot in the restricted area is worth 1.21 points per shot, while a 3-pointer above the break — that is, an attempt either atop the perimeter or on the wing — is 1.06 points and a corner 3 is 1.21 points."

Which is why Marshall never stops shooting. Roughly 43 percent of the team’s attempts are from beyond the arc, squaring Marshall within Division I’s top 50 (per Ken Pomeroy), and according to Synergy Sports, Marshall scores 1.08 points per spot up (1.17 points per catch and shoot), which is bested by only 23 other DI squads. “I don’t know if there is another team in the country that does as many shooting drills as we do,” said Austin Loop, a junior guard with the third-best overall offensive rating in Division I and who has converted 49 percent of his 3’s. Perhaps not coincidentally, Marshall scores at one of the country’s most efficient clips, dropping 1.11 points per possession, which is the highest ever for a D’Antoni-coached team (and good for the top 60 nationally).

“We go over every stat that the coaches keep,” Ryan Taylor, Marshall’s senior stretch-4, said. That includes game-by-game plus/minus reports, which are presented to the Herd via a white board in their locker room, as well as intensive film sessions and Synergy analysis (provided by D’Antoni and the rest of the coaching staff). “Coach D’Antoni wants us to make at least 36 percent of our 3’s, which equates to 52 percent on 2’s,” Taylor elaborated.2“Taking 3’s is easier for us — since it is farther away from the basket, it isn’t contested, and then it opens up our offense even more.” ......

They remind me of Troy - living and dying by the 3 - and a bit like Belmont.

It's a dangerous match up regardless of how many times we have beaten them. If they get hot and we are having any sort of an off night, we lose. Kermit's defensive prowess has got to come into play here somehow. A shoot out could spell disaster. I wish we could play effective defense and really limit their %'s and slow the game down to take them out of their comfort zone. I guess we'll see. I just fear getting into a shootout with them, because if they get hot they're more than capable of taking this game. I think Habersham off the bench is going to be the X factor tonight.

so far so good - but at some point marshall will start making some shots. keep the pressure up!

this is killing me not being able to watch....someone tell me whats going on!

ok finally found a working link on my phone. we are gonna have to get some more points. Marshall will make a run.

Really glad to see Kermit slowing this game down and turning it into a half court grind. Can't let Marshall get any momentum to try and speed this game up. Even though we are up 10 I'm worried. No lead is safe with this team unless it's 25 or more. Really hoping Marshall tires out in the second half.

come on guys!

Marshall is really struggling with our size. They don't seem to have an answer. We are comfortably shooting above 50%. 5-11 from the FT line is unacceptable though. We should be ahead by 18 or so.

Marshall not missing now. There's gonna be some serious points scored in the second half by both teams.

Jacorey William$!.
Kermit's gonna need to try something different defensively

I'm very concerned with the run Marshall made at the end of the first half. We cannot allow them to get into a rhythm from 3

Don't like only having an 8 point lead. They get Taylor back as well in the 2nd half.

Don't like only having an 8 point lead. They get Taylor back as well in the 2nd half.

Ditto. I'm extremely concerned. Marshall shot way below their average in the first half. Only 16% from 3. That's not gonna happen again in the second half. We better be ready to score a boatload of points because the Marshall run IS coming. Habersham has got to get it going.

The committee will likely leave MTSU out if they lose this. And rightfully so. Guys have to want it or they'll be in the NIT with no one to blame but themselves for disappearing.

The committee will likely leave MTSU out if they lose this. And rightfully so. Guys have to want it or they'll be in the NIT with no one to blame but themselves for disappearing.

I don't disagree. If a team can't beat the 6 seed to win one of the worst leagues in basketball, then it's hard to argue they belong in the tournament.

With that being said, don't count us out yet. We've lead the whole game and we are the better team. We've just gotta show that tonight.

Yea. I have a real bad feeling about this. Marshall is playing really loose with nothing to lose and our guys are tight as can be. We've gotta keep the energy up on defense and attack on offense.

We need to eat them up on the inside with Walters, Gamble, & Williams. They've got no answer down in the paint.

Phew no good. Clearly in his hand. Ok now go on a run and put this one away. Feed the big dog inside every trip down!

TIMEOUT MARSHALL FULL TIMEOUT!!!!!!!

images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT