ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Transfer Portal

BlueSioux

Blue Raider Fan
Sep 2, 2014
Figured it was time to start the thread as transfer season has started. APSU OVC Defensive Player of the year has been offered a spot at MTSU.

Interested to see who we will have transfer out of the program. Hopefully no impactful starters.

It looks like Jurriente Davis is transferring out. He had a solid first year.

That is a valid point. Do these players have people advising them on what to do? These are some pretty big decisions. Something like an agent....but not
Early signing period is on the 15th. Teams might fill up too much on scholarship if he waits. I can see the reasoning to go ahead and do it.

It looks like Jurriente Davis is transferring out. He had a solid first year.

he was a really good player IMO. He looks like a Power 5 LB when just looking at him. Good size and length.

interested to see where he lands. I think he’s good enough to play low level power 5 ball.

staff has to be frustrated with his decision. Kind of pisses me off too to be honest. We gave him a chance when I don’t believe he had any other FBS offers coming out of JUCO. He would have started for us and been a key cog in the wheel on defense for many years for us. He was a pretty good player and likely would have grown into an all conference player in the new CUSA. Pretty head scratching he would leave so quickly. I don’t think this is a good decision by him. I normally wish them well but I kind of hope he ends up riding the bench somewhere.

he was a really good player IMO. He looks like a Power 5 LB when just looking at him. Good size and length.

interested to see where he lands. I think he’s good enough to play low level power 5 ball.

staff has to be frustrated with his decision. Kind of pisses me off too to be honest. We gave him a chance when I don’t believe he had any other FBS offers coming out of JUCO. He would have started for us and been a key cog in the wheel on defense for many years for us. He was a pretty good player and likely would have grown into an all conference player in the new CUSA. Pretty head scratching he would leave so quickly. I don’t think this is a good decision by him. I normally wish them well but I kind of hope he ends up riding the bench somewhere.
If I were him, I would be very concerned about playing time wherever he lands. Here he has the starting job, just ball out and NFL scouts will be interested. If you are splitting reps at Nebraska, I don't think you get that same shot with the NFL. So unless you are 110% you will start and maintain the position wherever you go, I would stay. Walking into a big program as a transfer and expecting to grab a starting position over guys that have been on the roster for a while I think would be difficult.

If I were him, I would be very concerned about playing time wherever he lands. Here he has the starting job, just ball out and NFL scouts will be interested. If you are splitting reps at Nebraska, I don't think you get that same shot with the NFL. So unless you are 110% you will start and maintain the position wherever you go, I would stay. Walking into a big program as a transfer and expecting to grab a starting position over guys that have been on the roster for a while I think would be difficult.

Yup.

Many on this board want us to be a place where coaches come, have success, and then leave for "bigger and better" things. Why should anything else be expected of players? We gave him an opportunity that he took advantage of and is now leaving. If he thinks he can have success at a higher level and his time here has given him the opportunity, I say good for him. Don't want coaches to use us as a stepping stone if you also don't want the players to.

I get it but at that point we aren't an academic institution with sports but minor league. Which it is.
Many on this board want us to be a place where coaches come, have success, and then leave for "bigger and better" things. Why should anything else be expected of players? We gave him an opportunity that he took advantage of and is now leaving. If he thinks he can have success at a higher level and his time here has given him the opportunity, I say good for him. Don't want coaches to use us as a stepping stone if you also don't want the players to.

Coaches and players will never been an apples to apples comparison. So I disagree with your sentiment about players transferring.

I can agree with this if both parties put in their time and have success.

A coach who stays 5 years and wins a bunch of games and moves on to the P5 - I wish him well
A kid who stays 3 years, wins a bunch of games, makes all conference, and then goes to play his final year at Ohio State - sure, I'll pull for him.

But this is a bit of a different situation. This dude was here for 12 games, after being picked up as his only FBS lifeline. At least put in a couple of years for the program that gave you a chance.

I can agree with this if both parties put in their time and have success.

A coach who stays 5 years and wins a bunch of games and moves on to the P5 - I wish him well
A kid who stays 3 years, wins a bunch of games, makes all conference, and then goes to play his final year at Ohio State - sure, I'll pull for him.

But this is a bit of a different situation. This dude was here for 12 games, after being picked up as his only FBS lifeline. At least put in a couple of years for the program that gave you a chance.
So you hate that WKU's OC went to Texas Tech after only 1 year at WKU? He proved his worth and got a better job offer. Would you stay in a job for 3-5 years even when better ones are offering just because the one you are in gave you a chance? It is the same thing. If a player that was previously overlooked proves himself and "better" opportunities come up because of it, we can't blame him for wanting to take them. I would caution them that the grass is not always greener, but it is still not my decision to make or criticize.

So you hate that WKU's OC went to Texas Tech after only 1 year at WKU? He proved his worth and got a better job offer. Would you stay in a job for 3-5 years even when better ones are offering just because the one you are in gave you a chance? It is the same thing. If a player that was previously overlooked proves himself and "better" opportunities come up because of it, we can't blame him for wanting to take them. I would caution them that the grass is not always greener, but it is still not my decision to make or criticize.

I graduated MT in 2005 and stayed with my company for 15 years before changing jobs, so at heart, i'm not a guy who jumps at every linked-in email that I get.

Not so much the WKU OC, because there's a tangible monetary benefit that would be realized, plus assistant coaching is known as a rather transient position going in.

When you're recruited by a program, they are essentially investing and building a program with you, for at least multiple years (in theory), and you are taking another kid's spot, denying him an opportunity.

Plus, I think it kind of depends where he ends up. I mean, there's theoretically no $$$'s involved, so the coaching/player comparison is not really apples to apples. If Alabama is calling, yeah sure ok. If he ends up at some place like UAB, i'm not sure I see it the same way.

I suppose this is the first step in a new world where everyone is a free agent every year. Which, if that's where we're headed, then so be it. But we don't have to like it.

That said, we probably don't know the whole story. Maybe there's some conflict, or some academic stuff (maybe MT doesn't offer what he wants to do), or maybe he doesn't like our coaches (we don't even like our coaches). So, who knows.

Reactions: crposton
College players are showcasing their talents for a job offer. So it's about showing what you are capable of to get a job offer. It takes a special situation to have a chance to show your skills. It's a tryout for the next step.

Coaches are already in their profession working the job. It makes sense they would jump around more often to get more responsibility, $, fame, whatever they are after.

College players are showcasing their talents for a job offer. So it's about showing what you are capable of to get a job offer. It takes a special situation to have a chance to show your skills. It's a tryout for the next step.

Coaches are already in their profession working the job. It makes sense they would jump around more often to get more responsibility, $, fame, whatever they are after.
If I’m a student athlete interviewing for jobs, I think I would be looking for other options of employment. Sadly, this is “the big lie” that college coaches tell these kids but here is the truth:

”There are 1,093,234 high school football players in the United States, and 6.5% of those high school players (or 71,060) will play for the NCAA in college. The drop-off from college to the professional level is more dramatic: only 1.6% of college-level players will get drafted into the NFL.
Sep 28, 2021”

Go to class, build relationships, get a meaningful and marketable college degree(s) because maybe….just maybe you could be the one guy in your locker room who will play on Sundays (unless you are at Alabama or Ohio St.)

Last edited:
College basketball too.

really not a fan of it. At all. Nor do I like all these million dollar deals being signed under “NIL”. I think it’s just going to lead to a bunch of corruption and highest bidder type stuff. Total turn off in my eyes

amateur athletics is essentially gone now, unless you wanna watch high school sports. I think this will be a turn off for many, and I believe it will contribute to further declines for in-person attendance in college sports. And, eventually impact TV ratings if it’s not already

I know I personally have been a lot less interested in college football/basketball this year. Normally I’m betting every bowl game and picking out 1 or 2 college games a night to bet and watch as well. NBA too. I havnt bet anything in a few months and havnt watched hardly any sporting events outside of the MT games. College sports has lost a lot of luster lately to me. It’s multi factorial and not just the transfers/NIL money but that has definitely played a big part. There’s so many aspects of it that really bother me.

How much is Arch Manning going to get? As a freshman in college he’s probably going to get paid more than most NFL players.
And probably make a ton of money for wherever he signs.

I still believe they will try to allow college players to play longer or even return after failed NFL stints in the future. There is too much greed. Could you imagine Tebow coming back to Florida after failing in the NFL? (Or maybe never even leaving Florida in the first place??).

I could seriously see them doing away with eligibility all together at some point and just flat out making college sports a professional league to just generate as much money as humanely possible.

Reactions: Demsar Fashist
I could seriously see them doing away with eligibility all together at some point and just flat out making college sports a professional league to just generate as much money as humanely possible.

I don't think it will get to that point, but I can 100% see them saying "come back, and as long as you are a student, you can play". In other words take a 2 hour credit in underwater basket weaving and you can play. (Or fly fishing which I took)

College basketball too.

really not a fan of it. At all. Nor do I like all these million dollar deals being signed under “NIL”. I think it’s just going to lead to a bunch of corruption and highest bidder type stuff. Total turn off in my eyes

amateur athletics is essentially gone now, unless you wanna watch high school sports. I think this will be a turn off for many, and I believe it will contribute to further declines for in-person attendance in college sports. And, eventually impact TV ratings if it’s not already

I know I personally have been a lot less interested in college football/basketball this year. Normally I’m betting every bowl game and picking out 1 or 2 college games a night to bet and watch as well. NBA too. I havnt bet anything in a few months and havnt watched hardly any sporting events outside of the MT games. College sports has lost a lot of luster lately to me. It’s multi factorial and not just the transfers/NIL money but that has definitely played a big part. There’s so many aspects of it that really bother me.
The $100 handshake from my era is chump change to these kids. And they wouldn’t believe the $15 a month laundry money “allowed” by the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT