ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Transfer Portal

Sadly, every team's roster is going to be made of 50% transfers in a few years. So many kids are jumping around now. They really need to put some parameters around all the transfers. It feels like it's going to destroy the game and a lot of players as well. When they transfer around 2-3 times, run out of eligibility and have no degree either.

Is the transfer portal a perpetual thing or does it go away in a year or 2?

They can transfer 1 time without sitting out.

After that, they have to sit out 1 year.

This is a permanent thing going forward unless otherwise modified.

I think it seems crazier than what it actually is right now. You’ve got essentially six years worth of players (Covid exemption) that haven’t been able to transfer without penalties until this rule came into effect. After a few years, players will start burning that free transfer up and it should start to even itself out. I imagine the number of transfers will decrease in the future after all of these initial moves are used. While the rule hurts G5 schools it also helps. A bunch of players will come down because they are buried on depth charts. There will still be a gap between the P5 and G5 but this isn’t the end of the world like most of the people think (imo).

I think it seems crazier than what it actually is right now. You’ve got essentially six years worth of players (Covid exemption) that haven’t been able to transfer without penalties until this rule came into effect. After a few years, players will start burning that free transfer up and it should start to even itself out. I imagine the number of transfers will decrease in the future after all of these initial moves are used. While the rule hurts G5 schools it also helps. A bunch of players will come down because they are buried on depth charts. There will still be a gap between the P5 and G5 but this isn’t the end of the world like most of the people think (imo).

The transfer rule itself isn’t that bad. But when you combine it with NIL “opportunities” is when I really start to worry. I fully believe CFB will be a professional sport sooner rather than later.

look at the deals Texas OL is already getting. If you go to Texas and play OL, you get a 50k yearly salary. The rest of the blue bloods will have to match that or risk losing prospects. It’s only a matter of time until it’s wide spread and the haves and have nots will continue to further separate. Basketball will eventually be poisoned, too.

MT is one of the poorest and mostly poorly supported schools in D1. So this doesn’t end well for us.

It’s also hard to build a cohesive unit as a TEAM with guys transferring in and out all the time. It’s easier to herd a bunch of cats. This is straight out of the Tommy West recruiting formula of desperation that was used in the final 3-4 years of his Memphis decline. His last season, 2009, there were 28 transfers on the roster, of which 16 of them were JUCO and half of those were from Calif. (College of the Sequoias, College of Siskyous, El Camino CC) others from MS (Pearl River, Miss Delta CC), and Texas (Blinn CC). Also multiple guys who signed with P5 schools out of HS and transferred back home to Memphis didn’t work out either. It was a total disaster. Many of us Blue Raider fans in attendance got a firsthand look at West’s cast of characters in Murfreesboro on 9/12/2009.

Now he’s ours. 😂😂

LINK:
2009 Memphis Football Roster
OC Clay Helton is the most successful one on that roster.

OC Clay Helton is the most successful one on that roster.
Only because of his dual role as Recruiting Coordinator/OC he was allowed by West to pad his offensive statistics by loading that side of the ball with the best athletes and recruits on the roster. The late Joe Lee Dunn didn’t like it and told West so. So Joe Lee gets canned 3 games into the 2006 season, West takes over as his own DC and proceeds to finish 2-10. Then he promotes Helton to OC. 😂

Georgia's quarterback just won the National Championship and was considering transferring days after the game. It had to have been for money? I believe he's since said he's now staying at Georgia, but that's insane. That stuff really sours the game for me.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Big issues. 3 underclassmen that played a lot of snaps. That’s a Freshman and 2 sophomores from this past season. Also one of the 2 hardest spots for schools like Middle to get…… Hope we have a plan.

Entering the portal does not always mean they are for sure leaving. They may just be testing the waters to see what they can get.

Reactions: MTLynn
Go figure. We finally have some good young talent on the OL and they go and leave. Hate this transfer portal crap. I hope they end up playing FCS ball in Canada.

Reactions: SubwayAlumni
A coach can walk away from a player if they enter the portal.
IMO, if a student enters the portal for anything other than transferring for a specific major, he is no longer on the team.

Just saw we got a commitment from LB from Savannah State. Not sure what the story is on him but he didn't record a single stat for Savannah State last year.

Edit: I just read he was out for the year with an injury. He better of had one hell of a 2020 season.

Just saw we got a commitment from LB from Savannah State. Not sure what the story is on him but he didn't record a single stat for Savannah State last year.

Edit: I just read he was out for the year with an injury. He better of had one hell of a 2020 season.

possibly a preferred walk on spot

I trust our defensive staff and their evaluations. We have done a good job recruiting that side of the ball ever since Shafer arrived.

my concern is recruiting of offensive players, especially with Dearmon now leaving.

possibly a preferred walk on spot

I trust our defensive staff and their evaluations. We have done a good job recruiting that side of the ball ever since Shafer arrived.

my concern is recruiting of offensive players, especially with Dearmon now leaving.
He picked up some FCS offers so he can’t be completely horrible. I guess we will see if he is a diamond in the rough.

They didn't play in 2020

Lance Robinson and Dorian Hinton have both picked up offers from Oklahoma State.

great. Now more OL might want to leave if they think they can go power 5. Transfer portal gonna hurt us more than help over the long run in my opinion. Especially once the coaches figure out how to game it better and NIL deals get bigger.

They will never see the field. OSU is stacking bodies. Zack Dobson thought he was gonna play at WVU and we saw what went down. Now he's at TSU with no playing time. Maybe Steph Curry can hype him up more. Good luck to them.

Reactions: Raiders_55
They will never see the field. OSU is stacking bodies. Zack Dobson thought he was gonna play at WVU and we saw what went down. Now he's at TSU with no playing time. Maybe Steph Curry can hype him up more. Good luck to them.

Any player looking to "move up" via the portal should be very cautious. I just don't see that working out to well in general. They will get buried on the roster so deep they might never get playing time. Also, coming in mid-term with a larger program is just so hard to crack the starting roster with so much competition coming from a smaller school.

I feel like the best transfer scenarios are the guys not happy at larger programs moving to smaller programs. Trying to go up just seems like it would be extremely difficult.

Reactions: Raiders_55
The transfer portal is making it near impossible to keep up with who is even on the team. College sports is becoming less and less fun

mmhmm

i've said all along it's going to hurt us way more than it helps us. and as NIL develops and grows, it will get even worse. Players will be leaving to chase $$$ here soon

Think about this: What transfers have come in and REALLY helped us? If you want to argue Netori Johnson on the OL, okay fine. But what about that overhyped 4 star QB that quit on his team ? I don't even remember his name he was here such a short time... Or the two highly rated RB's that were as underwhelming as underwhelming could be? Maybe, just maybe there's a reason they are not starting at a Power 5 school.....

Now, what good players have we lost to transfer? Just this year alone....3 starting OL players that had many more years to start and contribute for us.... and now our arguably best returning defensive player in Gregory Grate.....

Losoya just signed with Miss St. - I'm sure Grate will be on a Power 5 roster too. Dorian Hinton and Lance Robinson both have multiple Power 5 offers.

So basically, we are getting the Power 5 left over's while they get to pick and choose our best players that they want ? We are essentially a JUCO for the Power 5 now.

YIKES. And some of you all thought this was a good idea?

I would love to hear from you now.

Last edited:
Oh no not GG. That really sucks. I hope we get some insight into why he is looking to leave.

Is it bad for me to hope that people that transfer out looking to "upgrade" fall flat on their face? It just feels like a slap in the face of the program for a starter to leave. I guess I can understand it, but just ball out and then leave early for the NFL seems like a better scenario.

Raheme Fuller is leaving too. I think there's more people transferring than being discussed here

How long until the - must be 3 years removed from High School before entering the NFL rule falls? That has to be the next thing with all these transfers and paying athletes. It's going to turn into college basketball, where guys play one year and look to bolt to the NFL. Sad times.

I think the portal is going to slow down. Once these guys use up their one free move there won’t be as many.

I think the portal is going to slow down. Once these guys use up their one free move there won’t be as many.
Then the next group of guys come through and use up their one freebie. It's going to happen every year.

I guess nobody cares, that a lot of these kids will end up transferring around, never graduate and with no shot at the NFL they are screwed with no degree to fall back on. I have to think as a whole, this doesn't end up well for students actually graduating with an education. I'm surprised nobody has stepped in honestly. I get the free market side of it, but again this can't be good as a whole.

Take a look at a guy like Hockman trying to chase a starting QB spot. He went to FL State, CC in Kansas, NC State, MT and wherever else he might land. Do you think he is on track to actually graduate anytime soon or even at all? I would guess not. How many more will be like him?

Last edited:
Then the next group of guys come through and use up their one freebie. It's going to happen every year.

I guess nobody cares, that a lot of these kids will end up transferring around, never graduate and with no shot at the NFL they are screwed with no degree to fall back on. I have to think as a whole, this doesn't end up well for students actually graduating with an education. I'm surprised nobody has stepped in honestly. I get the free market side of it, but again this can't be good as a whole.

Take a look at a guy like Hockman trying to chase a starting QB spot. He went to FL State, CC in Kansas, NC State, MT and wherever else he might land. Do you think he is on track to actually graduate anytime soon or even at all? I would guess not. How many more will be like him?

Nope. The prevailing thought and comeback you will always get is "But if the coaches can do it the players should be able to do it!"....

Which is the dumbest rationalization I have ever heard by the way. A coach and a player are at completely different points of their life and career.

I don't think they understand the damage this is doing to amateur athletics, as well as the sour taste it is putting in a lot of folks mouths. Unfortunately, I feel like they will only consider a different direction once it hits their pocket books, and by then it will be too late. Too many people will have been rubbed the wrong way and simply not be interested anymore.

Sometimes things have to get worse (a lot worse) before they get better. My fear is, college athletics will just go the way of the dodo bird instead of making a comeback.

Reactions: MTTim
Make the scholarship a 4 year binding offer, this will keep coaches from telling guys to get in the portal. Half are guys being told to leave said school because the coaches did a crap job of recruiting. Now guys get 1 free move any level. after that free move they can go down a level, and if they graduate they can go where they please also. so they have 3 moves available

They just need to go back to making kids sit a year. And no exceptions.

is that the ideal solution ? Of course it’s not, buts it’s the best solution and it’s a tried and proven approach that worked for decades.

Should have never changed the rules but nobody can ever leave anything alone these days.

Reactions: Hop45
I keep thinking that schools at our level are having some sort of braintrust on how to leverage this to our advantage or in our case, compete.

I went back and read the bill that went into effect this last January: HA0278

It really is in the interest of the player and as long as they don't peddle adult theme NIL, alcohol, or tobacco OR raise a conflict of interest with the university. Honestly, I don't get the adult, alcohol, or tobacco restrictions but that's just me.

Student-Athletes will always get the public's benefit of the doubt in perception and earning potential for their work and diligence at this point, HOWEVER, I think that would change if we called a spade a spade and called this what it is: Minor League Sports. They have an agent. They have a type of contract. They are student-athletes in name only.

Minor league players have contracts that they have to fulfill. I have heard of minor league baseball players being traded for a bag of baseballs and bats but at the end of the day, they are a commodity. The institutions are losing the opportunity to grow a program unless they can now compete with these insane NIL contracts.

At the end of the day, I have all the faith in McPhee and Masarro in that they will do what's best for our university, brand, image, and name. </s>

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT