ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Transfer Portal

The $100 handshake from my era is chump change to these kids. And they wouldn’t believe the $15 a month laundry money “allowed” by the NCAA.
I work with a guy who was a starting QB at a low-level FCS team in the early 2000s. He told me that if he had a “good game” he got an unmarked envelope with $700 cash in his mailbox. That’s just what he says, so I can’t say it’s truth, but I don’t doubt it either

I work with a guy who was a starting QB at a low-level FCS team in the early 2000s. He told me that if he had a “good game” he got an unmarked envelope with $700 cash in his mailbox. That’s just what he says, so I can’t say it’s truth, but I don’t doubt it either

I knew a lot of the players and was friends with a few as well when I was in school at MT. Don't believe any of them ever got any unpermissible benefits. At least the players I was friends with.

So I question this story. There's no real reason to be paying an FCS QB who is already committed and playing. Money typically comes to get a guy to commit/stay at a school if he's a really high level player who could go elsewhere.

I knew a lot of the players and was friends with a few as well when I was in school at MT. Don't believe any of them ever got any unpermissible benefits. At least the players I was friends with.

So I question this story. There's no real reason to be paying an FCS QB who is already committed and playing. Money typically comes to get a guy to commit/stay at a school if he's a really high level player who could go elsewhere.
Totally agree. I do know that I looked up his profile and it’s legit. He was invited to multiple NFL training camps too, which I did confirm. But keep in mind, the college career was almost 20 years ago, so the payments was just his word, which obviously I can’t verify. According to him, he was highly recruited (even by MT).

Go here and enter University of Memphis. Look at the Major Infractions Summary for June 22, 1979. 😂 Wild West days.

LINK: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search?types=major&q=
Institution: University of Memphis
Date: June 22, 1979
Violation Summary: Improper employment, entertainment, financial aid, lodging and transportation; extra benefits; out-of-season practice, improper recruiting employment, entertainment, inducements and transportation; tryouts; academic fraud; unethical conduct; questionable practice; institutional control; certification of compliance.
Penalty Summary: None.
Involved Sports:
Football , Men's Basketball
Case Level:
Involved Penalties:
Television: 1 yrs
Reduction in Financial Aid: No
Postseason: 1 yrs
Recruiting: No
Probation: 2 yrs
Show Cause Penalty: No

Vacation of Record: No

True story, in the Class of 1981 there was a QB and a DB/WR from Chatt. Brainerd, an OL from Bradley Central, and a national record holding RB from McMinnville (Warren County). All four were committed to sign with Coach Donnelly and MTSU on National Signing Day. Coach Majors made a late pitch to the RB for UTK. At the 11th hour, new Memphis St. HC, Rex Dockery flipped every one of them to Memphis St. All but the RB went on and played professionally but he blew out a knee his Soph. year. and never was the same.

You can imagine how this “recruiting coup” went over in Murfreesboro and Knoxville.

True story, in the Class of 1981 there was a QB and a DB/WR from Chatt. Brainerd, an OL from Bradley Central, and a national record holding RB from McMinnville (Warren County). All four were committed to sign with Coach Donnelly and MTSU on National Signing Day. Coach Majors made a late pitch to the RB for UTK. At the 11th hour, new Memphis St. HC, Rex Dockery flipped every one of them to Memphis St. All but the RB went on and played professionally but he blew out a knee his Soph. year. and never was the same.

You can imagine how this “recruiting coup” went over in Murfreesboro and Knoxville.
I remember the RB from Warren County because he was Mr. Football in Tennessee, his Sr year. I'd list his name, but I'm guessing you left if out on purpose. How did he do at Memphis?

Reactions: crclarke55
I remember the RB from Warren County because he was Mr. Football in Tennessee, his Sr year. I'd list his name, but I'm guessing you left if out on purpose. How did he do at Memphis?
Correct.
He blew a knee in ‘82 on a run vs. Ga. Tech.
Got a medical redshirt, came back and ended up being the leading rusher in ‘85 but rushing yds. fell off in ‘86 as a Sr. Played one season with the Vikings.

Is this for real? College athletes getting paid while they're still a student? Out in the open for everyone to see? What the...?

We bribed players a lot different back in my day. Girls, cars, skipping class. And you know what? We had more parity in the game. Sure, you had your Oklahomas, Nebraskas, and Miamis who'd thump every other team for several years in a row, but it weren't near as lopsided as it is now.

The world's gone to hell in a handbasket. Love of money. Ruins everything.

I knew plenty of guys who got money under the table. UT, Miss St., Ole Miss, and even schools like EKU and East Ill. They just did it slick where they didn't get caught. That tale is as old as time.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
We had some players in real debt due to gambling, and I'm not talking about Dasher. Was well before Dasher.

It was the season we had the collapse against Troy, 2006.....Couple of football players got in pretty deep with a pitcher on the baseball team. Fortunately these players didn't play positions influential enough to really affect a games outcome, but it does make me wonder who was on that hands team recovery now 😅

Last edited:
We had some players in real debt due to gambling, and I'm not talking about Dasher. Was well before Dasher.

It was the season we had the collapse against Troy, 2006.....Couple of football players got in pretty deep with a pitcher on the baseball team. Fortunately these players didn't play positions influential enough to really affect a games outcome, but it does make me wonder who was on that hands team recovery now 😅
Dasher was the real deal. Unfortunately, he had some other issues that kept him from finishing strong. I have a good friend who is also from Folkston, GA, played QB/DB and graduated from Charlton County HS as class valedictorian 34 years ahead of DD. He was a free safety at Memphis St and has a successful law practice in Dallas. 😉

DD had the same opportunity.

Reactions: Hop45
Use to be a joke that when a kid from UK or UNC went to the NBA or from Alabama or Oklahoma to the NFL that they had to take a pay cut. That may be true now...
“Higher education” is a shell of the past (60, 80, 100 years ago). It's nauseating. Paid players, participation diplomas… what's needed for an athlete to pass a class? Write their name legibly?

College should be devoted to quality education. Instead, many young people waste time and money on degrees that have little value in the real world.

He fumbled the money. He lost those ball security skills he once had in college.

Except for the grace of God, there we all go.
The Dasher years. I remember that guy. That's back when I would regularly attend several MT football games each season. Good times. I remember thinking back then that the MT sports program just may have a marketable product, an option to that snooty school in Nashville (man, I hate that school, and I hate their stupid ruling elite hospital, too. Damn commies). Then it just got too darn depressing sitting in Floyd stadium on Saturdays. Dead atmosphere. Hopefully MT gets them good times back. I did enjoy MT's early years of D-1.

Hoping Kyle Lowe can be that next marketable skill position player for us. The pedigree is there as is the athleticism. His film reminds me a lot of ole DD too but I think he has a better arm than Dwight did.

Reactions: Hop45
Hoping Kyle Lowe can be that next marketable skill position player for us. The pedigree is there as is the athleticism. His film reminds me a lot of ole DD too but I think he has a better arm than Dwight did.
The only thing that might be misleading about him is the quality of the competition he faced but he’s definitely got major college genes. His grandpa was one of the baddest linebackers to ever land in Tuscaloosa. His older brother is already on his second college and hopefully Kyle won’t be a transfer portal guy that Dearmon has to re-recruit every year.

The only thing that might be misleading about him is the quality of the competition he faced but he’s definitely got major college genes. His grandpa was one of the baddest linebackers to ever land in Tuscaloosa. His older brother is already on his second college and hopefully Kyle won’t be a transfer portal guy that Dearmon has to re-recruit every year.

Yeah the competition is without question concerning. When I was watching his hudl film and looking at some of the players he was facing on defense I wondered if they were JV teams or something.

Anyone can make a highlight tape and look good, especially against competition like that. I'm basing my hopes more on pedigree, his measurables, and what appears to be a love for the game.

Didn't know he had a transfer happy brother. Hopefully that's not in the cards for him but it's a different game these days. You can't derecruit kids and coach them hard anymore. You've gotta continue to recruit and coddle them and their family all through their playing days now, otherwise they'll just leave. Sad times.

Shelbyville Central alum is transferring from Duke and no offers from MTSU. Besides P5 schools, also received offers from Alcorn Stae, Memphis, and Eastern Kentucky.

• Wow
Reactions: SpaceRaider
Have we signed any transfers ???? Seems quiet this year. Maybe after getting burned by Hockman we are more cautious.

Have we signed any transfers ???? Seems quiet this year. Maybe after getting burned by Hockman we are more cautious.
The transfer portal is showing that we got a 3 star transfer running back from Kansas State (originally from South Carolina) named Joe Ervin. He is immediately eligible and has 3 years. I don’t know if his signing is confirmed. He was a fairly productive change of pace back for KSU.

The transfer portal is showing that we got a 3 star transfer running back from Kansas State (originally from South Carolina) named Joe Ervin. He is immediately eligible and has 3 years. I don’t know if his signing is confirmed. He was a fairly productive change of pace back for KSU.
After watching that Soph. 5’6” 1st Team All-American RB destroy LSU last night I can see why he bailed for potentially greener pastures and more PT. 😂

Looking at his stats from Norfolk, seems he is more of a blocking TE and will have one year of eligibility

why do we keep going to Cali Juco's and getting marginal players. Cali juco's are the worse.

why do we keep going to Cali Juco's and getting marginal players. Cali juco's are the worse.
It’s also hard to build a cohesive unit as a TEAM with guys transferring in and out all the time. It’s easier to herd a bunch of cats. This is straight out of the Tommy West recruiting formula of desperation that was used in the final 3-4 years of his Memphis decline. His last season, 2009, there were 28 transfers on the roster, of which 16 of them were JUCO and half of those were from Calif. (College of the Sequoias, College of Siskyous, El Camino CC) others from MS (Pearl River, Miss Delta CC), and Texas (Blinn CC). Also multiple guys who signed with P5 schools out of HS and transferred back home to Memphis didn’t work out either. It was a total disaster. Many of us Blue Raider fans in attendance got a firsthand look at West’s cast of characters in Murfreesboro on 9/12/2009.

Now he’s ours. 😂😂

LINK:
2009 Memphis Football Roster

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT