ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Transfer Portal

I get that. I wish they all had stayed and some of them will probably regret leaving a starting position. Quincy Riley has the potential to start at almost any school. I also think if Dobson isn’t playing at TSU he wouldn’t be playing at MTSU either.
He lit it up here before he left. We used him correctly and recruited him. He would have played a lot more here.

It looks like Quincy Riley is going to Louisville and Parker Hughes is now in the portal. I have to admit that I didn't no who Hughes was, be he played in the last 4 games last year, according to his bio, that's curently still at GBR.com.

Hughes was a walkon from East Tennessee but I believe he won Mr Football his senior year so I think he had some promise. My guess is that there are several over him on the depth chart.

This is a perfect case of how NIL will destroy the game. Supreme court should have had the foresight to know this was coming.
These kids are going to start getting sued. If they want to play these games, billionaires are going to hold them to their contracts and send it to court. We will see a huge hesitation to do this stuff once legal action is taken.

Reactions: coachchia
Between the transfer rule and NIL, G5 athletics is basically dead. Schools like MT will now be nothing more than glorified JUCO's. Our best players will leave for better programs and more $$$ in their pockets, and we will replace those great players with the Power 5 rejects that can't crack the 2nd team. It's a win-win for Power 5 programs (Cream rises to the top and they dump their busts to schools like MT to make room for better players) and a lose-lose for schools like MT.

The NIL and transfer rule exploitation has only just begun. Every year it's going to get worse and worse. Eventually the Power 5's will break off and only play each other, completely locking schools like MT out (say goodbye to payday games). They will continue to poach our players and dump their busts on us, except now they won't even play us anymore so goodbye to those welfare checks we collect from the SEC. Coaching salaries will plummet, and it will be the death of programs like ours.

It's absolutely disgusting and I guess nothing we can do about it.

Last edited:
Wiley is spot on. I don't see any way this is a positive. The gap between the haves and have nots will continue to grow even wider.

Let's imagine for a moment we have a diamond in the rough QB that lights it up here at MT his Sophmore season. He's going to be looking to transfer out and get paid in the off-season. How could they turn down $100K to play at South Carolina? Get used to those scenarios, MT and similar schools, are just the minor leagues from here on out. There is no way to compete against the bigger programs, let alone even play them when they break off to their own league.

Not sure who is responsible, but this WILL destroy "amateur" sports. I'm already losing interest.

I’m losing interest too. What little research and discussions I had with NIL made it apparent to me that it is the new way but nothing I want to be a part of right now. I guess I would throw some cash to some kids way that came from a indigent background.
This is a dynamic to the game that is gonna make stock look even more inept. Gonna need a numbers guy that can moneyball the team every year.

but at the end of the day, do I really give a shit about the game now that it is down to this?

It’s only a negative if the coaches cannot adapt to it. It’s pretty simple, if you’re worried about kids transferring out, recruit for your diamonds in the rough in the portal. Burn their free transfer then they are unlikely to transfer again. The high school kids we’re recruiting are just as big of a gamble as what is in the portal. We’re not getting 5* players here so idk why y’all think this is the end of the world. I work in sales and could easily use this as an advantage.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’m seeing lots of guys hitting the portal recently. I would assume because of spring practice and they don’t like their standing with their team. I hope MT saved some scholarships and can land a “big” fish looking to rebuild his career. Anything big in the pipeline?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I’m seeing lots of guys hitting the portal recently. I would assume because of spring practice and they don’t like their standing with their team. I hope MT saved some scholarships and can land a “big” fish looking to rebuild his career. Anything big in the pipeline?
I think they had until May 1st to get in the portal before it closed.

Recently read article about all of this on Sports Illustrated I think it was. The Notre Dame AD basically said that the P5 types will break away within 10 - 15 years minus their few conference mates that don't match or still want to focus on academics. The timing he mentioned will likely align when most of the major conferences' media deals are up. All this in addition to the talk that the current NCAA, at least as most know it, won't survive.

The article said these P5 type universities will spin off their athletic programs to professional sports programs that will will be licensed from the universities. Essentially ending the student-athlete facade. Again if IIRC, the predictions were for football.

The article went on to explain that what is left or reformed into another umbrella institution will be the colleges and universities that still want the sports under the academic environment or student-athlete model. It kind of sounded like what it was supposed to be. I thought, I'd be good with that.

Please forgive the rough recounting of this article I read a couple weeks ago. I tried to recall the gist of it as most of you know, Sports Illustrated articles aren't always short articles like other sports sites.

It looks like Quincy Riley is going to Louisville and Parker Hughes is now in the portal. I have to admit that I didn't no who Hughes was, be he played in the last 4 games last year, according to his bio, that's curently still at GBR.com.

this was interesting

• Wow
Reactions: MT Glenn
Incredible to see MT, quite literally, just running by Miami. They're supposed to be the ones with the deadly speed and all that.
Yea, but they are in year one again. They seem to go through it every 3-4 years. 9 out of 10 times, Miami blows their doors off.

Previous comment aside, I need to see some sustained consistency from this team and staff before I get excited and get committed again. I've just been let down too many times, like everyone else.

I need to see an outright conference title from him, or he needs to go. Is the Miami win a flash in the pan this year. Hands down, it was a great win, but I keep waiting for the letdown and they return to normal. Unfortunately, it's just what I'm used to seeing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT