ADVERTISEMENT

New staff, portal, & recruiting

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
A few quick Monday morning notes re: new staff, portal, and recruiting

1) It imperative that MT get the new HC (and hopefully a handful of assts) in place this week. The transfer portal opened this morning so hundreds (maybe thousands) of players just became "free agents."
2) MT lost 16-18 scholarship players to the portal. Assuming none of them come back, the new coach will be able to sign around 40 players. That's flipping half the roster in just a year.

It feels like we are waiting for someone. If it one of the UT guys, why wouldn't that have already been completed? I'm expecting to hear some news early this week, but it definitely feels like we are waiting on dominos to fall first since it's been so quiet.

I agree on the portal, we need to get someone in soon to start working the portal. We can upgrade our talent quickly there. Or even pull some players back.

I've said it before. Anyone that is good in the portal that is from 150 miles of MT should get a serious look. Maybe these kids would like an opportunity to start and be closer to home. I don't care if it's a 4-5 Star guy that didn't work out somewhere else, give it a shot. We can possible win on location alone, with the promist of starting right away.

I saw a tweet from VU's Will Sheperd announcing his entering the portal and he's thanking CDM for the chance at vandy, not the current coach. LOL.

Reactions: ewglenn
First test for Mason - go get Will Shepard ! Let's see what you can do.

This is a good test. Shepard has pretty decent stats, but not top notch. Maybe he could get some small NIL money somewhere, but probably wouldn't be a guaranteed starter everywhere. Or he could come here dominate and then go to the NFL. So take $50K and potentially not play after college, or be a starter at MT and get a shot for NFL $$$.

Mason specifically called out these scenarios in his press conference that he would tell kids the NIL is there, but you can go to the NFL from MT. So let's see if he can sell that to Shepard. Mason is right, but can he convince kids to pass up the short term for the long-term? That's what the portal is all about.

Will would be a huge get for us!

Also something OT, I feel like they should do something with HCDM and Mason jars. I’m no marketing expert but it seems like a perfect opportunity for branding.

What about a Transfer Portal QB?? I really like Vattiato, but I think that to get to the next level that we want to be at, we need someone closer to a Brent Stockstill than to an Asher O'Hara. Don't get me wrong, I think Vattiato is much better than O'Hara was, but I'm just not sure that he's the guy.

For those that really follow the portal, are there any guys out there that are maybe from the Tennessee area or have ties to CDM that we could realistically get to be a day 1 starter?

Reactions: RaiderDeez
What about a Transfer Portal QB?? I really like Vattiato, but I think that to get to the next level that we want to be at, we need someone closer to a Brent Stockstill than to an Asher O'Hara. Don't get me wrong, I think Vattiato is much better than O'Hara was, but I'm just not sure that he's the guy.

For those that really follow the portal, are there any guys out there that are maybe from the Tennessee area or have ties to CDM that we could realistically get to be a day 1 starter?
If I'm looking at it correctly, Destin Wade, from Summit HS in Spring Hill, is in the portal from UK. And Tevin Carter from Memphis. Both 6'3", listed as redshirt freshmen.

Reactions: Noogaraider1
Some potential recruits in the portal (from Nashville Metro originally):

LB Keaton Wade UK
OL Steven Losoya Miss St
DB Key Lawrence Oklahoma
WR London Humphrey Vandy
DL Yirayah Lanier Louisville
LB Spencer Rich Memphis

Key Lawrence would be a huge get and would love to see him come back to the mid state
We could follow the success of Byard and Blankenship to the league from here. He can play safety and/ or corner .
He has transferred once so not sure if he would have to sit or if he’s a grad. He’s played at OU and TN, come home young man.
Would be a good one to get in on

Wade isn't going to go anywhere where he isn't the starter from the get go. He's likely a package deal with his brother

They finally offered Keshawn Williams from Riverdale, he is committed to Mich st
That to me is the difference. Stock never would've even offered someone with a Mich St. commitment. But this day in age with the portal, I can't count the number of kids that transfer somewhere because of a relationship created in high school. You may not get someone now, but that doesn't mean you won't later.

That to me is the difference. Stock never would've even offered someone with a Mich St. commitment. But this day in age with the portal, I can't count the number of kids that transfer somewhere because of a relationship created in high school. You may not get someone now, but that doesn't mean you won't later.
Or to establish a relationship with the program's staff. Each Murfreesboro school is pumping out FBS talent so no need not to offer every single one, even if it isn't a position of need

heck, they never offered before he got that Mich St offer, he had EKU, APSU, UtM and GA southern. MSU came halfway through the season

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
A lot of unfortunate truth spillage being laid down tonight. Still a lot of if’s to come but at a minimum creating some good will in the 615 is important. It absolutely goes to to community and one of the reasons why this one didn’t and hasn’t cared about the program. Cause the program didn’t care about the community.

This gives us something to dream and talk about whether we get some mid Ten kids or portal X fers or not.
We never expected the previous staff to put the work in, so it wasn’t a topic of discussion for the board. When the casual fan sees these players “tweet” that they got and offer from MT, that causes a stir and creates chatter, which is all good.
Dang, it fun to think about, anyways.

Some potential recruits in the portal (from Nashville Metro originally):

LB Keaton Wade UK
OL Steven Losoya Miss St
DB Key Lawrence Oklahoma
WR London Humphrey Vandy
DL Yirayah Lanier Louisville
LB Spencer Rich Memphis
Losoya originally transferred from MT, doubt he wants to come back. Humphrey is trending toward UGA.

This cycle of portal guys Id consider “transfer blue chips” and will more than likely go to another P5 or the American. The focus in the portal should really be after this first wave and NSD. Most rosters will settle but we’ll see more guys getting pushed out early ‘24.

I’d like DM to get who he can though, only downside of getting transfers in the second window is spring ball availability. They’ll just have the summer and fall camp to get acclimated.

The batch of kids in the portal now don't know Mason or the staff that he is building out. My hope going forward is that changes. If the new staff can form a bond with a local high school athlete, he might not choose MT the first go around, but later if they want to transfer they will have a connection with our staff and might consider us again. I think that is where Stock's team missed it completely. They would see a local kid is going to a P5 school and not even bother reaching out or if they had, just stop contact.

My thought is that any highly regarded local kid within a certain distance, we should go after regardless and continue with communication as long as we are allowed. I've read so many articles about transfer athletes referencing how they had kept contact with another coach and that came up with their transfer destination.

Last edited:
It's amazing that none of these local kids were offered under stock and after 48 hours of Mason being head coach, at least two of them get offered.

Reactions: coachchia and Hop45
I think that's why CM talked to Creasy. The bad taste was there for so long that I'm not sure the old staff would've even been able to offer, to communicate with the kid. CM wanted to see why, what needed done different, and what as a high school coach he expected and saw from other college coaches recruting his kids.

Not to mention those local kids could see that 6-7 wins was the normal peak here. Now we may be that way again, but at least right now the hope of the unknown is there.

I’m seeing all these twitter offers get announced from mid state area kids. What in the hell has the old staff been doing? How does the staff all of a sudden decide these kids can play now. It pisses me off that the old guard had no love for TN kids. Or is it more like the high school coaches didn’t like the old guard?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT