ADVERTISEMENT

UConn has a new coach - what about us?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
Jim Mora, Jr. was hired as the new coach. While they have been down for several years, I like they are committed to trying to turn it around. Paying $1.5M and the AD said they were willing to go up to $2M per when they started the search. However, Mora's track record is that he has failed basically everywhere he has gone. He's career opportunities are made off his last name.

It got me to wondering about our next coach. Yes, fingers crossed it happens soon. One of these old NFL retreads would probably be lazy and not want to get on the recruiting trail, but they could probably help build up some support in the community and raise some money for the program. Maybe if they had solid coordinators underneath them it could work. Sort of similar to what Arizona State did with Herm Edwards. Bring in a "CEO" and let the staff run the x's and o's. That strategy might work better at a place like MT that is eager for some sort of pulse to their program and could bring in some donors. It would get the attention of the Nashville media at least and create some publicity.

Bring on JEFF FISHER ! I'm half joking, but he would bring some name recognition and he was supposedly interested in the Vandy job. He's well respected, but honestly the game has probably passed him by. He sucked with the Rams and his last years with the Titans were terrible as well.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
Jim Mora, Jr. was hired as the new coach. While they have been down for several years, I like they are committed to trying to turn it around. Paying $1.5M and the AD said they were willing to go up to $2M per when they started the search. However, Mora's track record is that he has failed basically everywhere he has gone. He's career opportunities are made off his last name.

It got me to wondering about our next coach. Yes, fingers crossed it happens soon. One of these old NFL retreads would probably be lazy and not want to get on the recruiting trail, but they could probably help build up some support in the community and raise some money for the program. Maybe if they had solid coordinators underneath them it could work. Sort of similar to what Arizona State did with Herm Edwards. Bring in a "CEO" and let the staff run the x's and o's. That strategy might work better at a place like MT that is eager for some sort of pulse to their program and could bring in some donors. It would get the attention of the Nashville media at least and create some publicity.

Bring on JEFF FISHER ! I'm half joking, but he would bring some name recognition and he was supposedly interested in the Vandy job. He's well respected, but honestly the game has probably passed him by. He sucked with the Rams and his last years with the Titans were terrible as well.
I want a Will Healy type of guy. One who is a go getter and will win a bunch of games, get the fan base energized and then get scooped up by a P5. Then rinse and repeat.

UCONN has had 5 HC changes since Stock has been here. Randy was a retread.

Boisie St. has even had 3 coaches themselves.

I want a Will Healy type of guy. One who is a go getter and will win a bunch of games, get the fan base energized and then get scooped up by a P5. Then rinse and repeat.
Will is a below avg coach he has a losing record, had 1 good year at peay, 1 bowl year at UNCC, with this year to play out. He is nothing special, just a good used car salesman.

Total:27–35

Yes, this. That is 100% the truest sign of a successful G5 football (and b-ball for that matter, too) program. Winning games, championships, and bowl games are the keys to getting recognition, having those coaches "move up" and then we're attractive to the next up-and-coming coach.

I've been attending games at Floyd and on the road now for 25 seasons, and we have NEVER had that kind of spark with this program. The closest we got was with Dasher and the NOB winning season. But even then, I went down to Troy that season and we got embarrassed by the eventual conference champion.

As a G5 programs, coaching rules should be simple: Win games/championships/bowls, get rewarded more money in a contract that then has a large buyout owed to the SCHOOL when a coach moves up. Lose consistently without championships and bowl wins, get fired, no large buyouts owed to coaches. Only P5 schools can afford huge buyouts to coaches they have to fire.

No retreads looking to land where he can stay until he retires.

Energetic, outgoing, good at public events, speaker, but not a bullsh*t artist like mccollum was.

Someone that played and won championships, and a coaching history of championship.

No retreads looking to land where he can stay until he retires.

Energetic, outgoing, good at public events, speaker, but not a bullsh*t artist like mccollum was.

Someone that played and won championships, and a coaching history of championship.

Absolutely agree. But most with the energetic part. We DESPERATELY need someone that can engage the fan base and general public.

Reactions: Raiderclyde
Who is Bama, OU, OSU or UGA's staff that's ready to be a HC?
As much as I admire and respect what those four programs have done - and continue to do - most of their assistants wouldn't be great fits at MT.

When you coach at those four programs, you have 4 & 5 star guys filling your two-deep (to be sure, you do still have to coach them up). Still, that's not the case at MT.

MT needs someone who understands G5 football, has experience coaching on the G5 level, knows how to build a program, and can sell the program to recruits & community.

If you're gonna go from those four programs, here's the guys that I'd speak with :

Dennis Simmons (WR / PGC @ OU) : He's worked with Leach at TTU, WSU, and now is at OU after a short stint at Cornell as RB coach. He's also from Memphis so we know FranklinRaider would be happy.

Dell McGee (RB @ Georgia) : He was a successful HS coach in GA, spent time at Auburn (with current OC Brent Dearmon), was a RB coach at Georgia Southern, and his developed several RBs.

Holmon Wiggins (WR @ Bama) : He's developed several WRs but coached several years at the FCS & G5 level

If you're gonna go from those four programs, here's the guys that I'd speak with :

Dennis Simmons (WR / PGC @ OU) : He's worked with Leach at TTU, WSU, and now is at OU after a short stint at Cornell as RB coach. He's also from Memphis so we know FranklinRaider would be happy.

Dell McGee (RB @ Georgia) : He was a successful HS coach in GA, spent time at Auburn (with current OC Brent Dearmon), was a RB coach at Georgia Southern, and his developed several RBs.

Holmon Wiggins (WR @ Bama) : He's developed several WRs but coached several years at the FCS & G5 level
Those are the type of guys you would want or the OC at Ole Miss, Briles and Rhett at Miami

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Jeff Lebby (Ole Miss OC) and Kendall Briles (Ark OC) are two of my favorites.

Those guys are getting bigger jobs soon.

I want someone who absolutely has no plans to be here more than 5 years.

Personally, at our level, I don’t think I’d even offer contract extensions. Sign a coach for 5 years, and tell him after that we expect him to succeed to the point where he can move on to bigger and better opportunities. This is not a destination job, and I don’t want any complacent coach who wants to retire here.

Maybe we can hire Dan Mullen. Florida is down 35-28 to Samford in the 2nd quarter. He might be available tomorrow.

Those guys are getting bigger jobs soon.

I want someone who absolutely has no plans to be here more than 5 years.

Personally, at our level, I don’t think I’d even offer contract extensions. Sign a coach for 5 years, and tell him after that we expect him to succeed to the point where he can move on to bigger and better opportunities. This is not a destination job, and I don’t want any complacent coach who wants to retire here.
Oh, I agree. Their stock is skyrocketing and I expect them to land somewhere else. But, right now, if there’s an opening, they are my first two calls

Manny may not survive the loss to FSU today. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Predarat
Manny is one step closer to being fired. Supposedly they hate him down there, but I would welcome him to MT with open arms!

Reactions: Hop45
Manny is unfortunately just not a good HC. He’s got a lot of problems when it comes to game management as evidenced by stopping the clock when FSU was at the 2 yard line with over a minute left and then Canes had no time left to score at the end of the game.

Maybe we can take a page from this playbook. That's one way to get your coach out of there.

I actually thought Butch said a while back he was retiring at seasons end anyway.

That's just ridiculous. I mean I get why they did it.

If they didn't, LSU or Florida or someone was gonna take him for more money. So it was pay him now and lock him in or lose him and start over. Same thing A&M did.

Really same thing we did, but we don't have big donors to fix it if it goes wrong. They do.

Essentially just two boosters paid for that contract.

I swear some of these contracts for coaches make the Bobby Bonilla deal a drop in the bucket.

Mel Tucker will be a huge mistake. Look at his historical W-L and this is his first winning season! He doesn't have a lot of overall HC experience either. To pay him that much based on one good season and beating Michigan is really stupid in my opinion. Nothing personal, but I hope that backfires on Mich State just because it's so silly to decide that so soon.

He either bought his way to the end of his contract or MAYBE he has agreed to retire. If he gave $500K then He HAS to see what he is doing to the program by sticking around. It’s time to just hang it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT