ADVERTISEMENT

When Stockstill is fired/steps down - who do we want?

I don’t see it on there. I haven’t heard it but that would be an awesome game.

we will be slaughtered. Miami’s roster is oozing with talent and they finally found a QB with Van Dyke. Cristobal is going into a good situation in my opinion and I believe a big part of him making the jump is the roster Miami has.

Well we screwed up a chance to get Manny Diaz. Not that I expected it, but he went to Penn State as DC. I suppose when Suckstill retires next year, Diaz might be interested. Yes I’m saying my prayers 2022 will be the last year.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Well we screwed up a chance to get Manny Diaz. Not that I expected it, but he went to Penn State as DC. I suppose when Suckstill retires next year, Diaz might be interested. Yes I’m saying my prayers 2022 will be the last year.
Except for Lil Stock, Dearmon or Shafer, I can’t envision any other former MT player or assistant willing to relocate their families to take this job under the current leadership without another 8-yr. guaranteed contract. But then again…..😂😂

Except for Lil Stock, Dearmon or Shafer, I can’t envision any other former MT player or assistant willing to relocate their families to take this job under the current leadership without another 8-yr. guaranteed contract. But then again…..😂😂
It depends on WHO is making the ultimate decision.

When MT replaced CKD, McPhee made the decision and hired on the cheap.

When MT (eventually) replaces a Stockstill (he turns 64 on Dec 23), will Massaro or McPhee make the decision?

If it's Massaro, Diaz is going to be high on the list. If it's McPhee, it's probably going to be a "budget" hire.

When MT (eventually) replaces a Stockstill (he turns 64 on Dec 23), will Massaro or McPhee make the decision?

If it's Massaro, Diaz is going to be high on the list. If it's McPhee, it's probably going to be a "budget" hire.
That is why 7wood is at the top of my 'fire list'. Until he goes it will be more of the same no matter if Stock gets fired or not. If its true he is getting a contract extension, MTSU is screwed.

Do you all think Massaro would be better if the didn't have McPhee handcuffing him?

If McPhee were actually calling the shots (and he could be), if Massaro didn't agree with him, then eventually he would leave. So I tend to think they are both locked at the hip and they see things the same. If not, any other person would just leave. Ever had a job where your boss was calling the shots and you didn't agree with the decisions? Eventually you would want to leave.

If McPhee were actually calling the shots (and he could be), if Massaro didn't agree with him, then eventually he would leave. So I tend to think they are both locked at the hip and they see things the same. If not, any other person would just leave. Ever had a job where your boss was calling the shots and you didn't agree with the decisions? Eventually you would want to leave.
I think that's why Massaro was in the mix at GaState a few years ago. McPhee has Massaro leading an athletic program with one hand tied behind his back.

If you're Massaro, you've been an asst AD at a P5 school and an AD at a G5 school, the only way you leave is if you're an AD. And there are only so many AD positions that come open on an annual basis.

FWIW, I think McPhee is ok with academic things. He's done a good job helping MT add programs (although probably not as fast as it should be), but academics aren't always great at understanding outreach / development.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Kermit Davis was hired by Boots. Both Ricks were hired by Chris I believe. I think Chris did a good job of home scheduling there for a while.

We had Virginia, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Minnesota come to our place. Lately, however, it seems like everything has really dropped off or slowed down.

It would be great if Chris made some bold moves.

I will admit that Chris has been working at a disadvantage given the situation previously mentioned, but he signed off on the two former Memphis hires. Knowing what I knew about that situation (which I personally discussed with him) I still maintain that is on him. Maybe Stock convinced him but he should have looked at their body of work for their previous 10-11 years before signing off on that recommendation. Recruiting and performance at those individual player positions have suffered tremendously as evidenced by what we’ve endured the last 5 years.

I will admit that Chris has been working at a disadvantage given the situation previously mentioned, but he signed off on the two former Memphis hires. Knowing what I knew about that situation (which I personally discussed with him) I still maintain that is on him. Maybe Stock convinced him but he should have looked at their body of work for their previous 10-11 years before signing off on that recommendation. Recruiting and performance at those individual player positions have suffered tremendously as evidenced by what we’ve endured the last 5 years.
I'm not saying Massaro - or Stockstill - is without fault at this point.

Massaro should have given Stockstill an ultimatum regarding certain assts a few years ago. And Stock should have shown a few assts the door a few years ago.

But I'm willing to cut Massaro a little slack re: HC hires (specifically McD) because McD was McPhee's choice.

Kermit Davis was hired by Boots. Both Ricks were hired by Chris I believe. I think Chris did a good job of home scheduling there for a while.

We had Virginia, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, and Minnesota come to our place. Lately, however, it seems like everything has really dropped off or slowed down.

It would be great if Chris made some bold moves.
Massaro / Stockstill are bringing Missouri to Floyd in 2022, Colorado State in 2023, and Duke in 2025.

But, to your point, it's been a few years since a P5 came to Floyd.

it's been a few years since a P5 came to Floyd.
and only once in all the time Massaro managed to bring P5s has Stockstill managed to beat one and that was in 2008. These aren't world beating top ten or twenty P5s either. And Stockstill usually manages to really stink it up against them. That and in particular, the 0-4 record against vandy are a few of the reasons fans have given up on stockstill and the football program. We'll be lucky to have ten thousand in Floyd next season when Mizzou rolls in to the boro.

Do you all think Massaro would be better if the didn't have McPhee handcuffing him?
I would give Massaro maybe a year without 7wood to see how he does. It could reignite him and return to his first 3-4 years here. He was once a really good AD. Of the '3 MT Stooges' he is the one I have the most hope for. I'm not including McDevitt as a stooge, by the time any of this happens he will either be gone or on 'earn a new deal' time.

and only once in all the time Massaro managed to bring P5s has Stockstill managed to beat one and that was in 2008. These aren't world beating top ten or twenty P5s either. And Stockstill usually manages to really stink it up against them. That and in particular, the 0-4 record against vandy are a few of the reasons fans have given up on stockstill and the football program. We'll be lucky to have ten thousand in Floyd next season when Mizzou rolls in to the boro.
IMO, one of the reasons attendance is in the tank is the performance of Stockstill-led teams to in front of larger audiences & games that matter most to MT fans. Going off memory :

Stockstill beat Maryland, he lost to GaTech, Virginia, Miss State, and Minnesota at home in front of larger crowds
He went 0-4 against Vandy
He’s something like 2-7 against WKU since move to CUSA.
He’s 2-6 in bowl games

That’s not a recipe to build a fan base.

IMO, one of the reasons attendance is in the tank is the performance of Stockstill-led teams to in front of larger audiences & games that matter most to MT fans. Going off memory :

Stockstill beat Maryland, he lost to GaTech, Virginia, Miss State, and Minnesota at home in front of larger crowds
He went 0-4 against Vandy
He’s something like 2-7 against WKU since move to CUSA.
He’s 2-6 in bowl games

That’s not a recipe to build a fan base.
Let’s not forget BYU steamrolled us in Murfreesboro and the Mormons showed up in big numbers in Sections I, J, K, (upper and lower.)

looking like McPhee will get another extension.
I skimmed through the minutes from the Dec 2022 meeting and did not see a mention of a a new contract for McPhee (they did vote to give him a one time bonus).
McPhee did indicate lower-than-market salaries were a morale-killer on campus.

FWIW, McPhee makes almost $430k a year, while the avg univeristy President makes just over $300k. (To be fair, the avg salary is probably driven down by the salary small school presidents).

I skimmed through the minutes from the Dec 2022 meeting and did not see a mention of a a new contract for McPhee (they did vote to give him a one time bonus).

FWIW, McPhee makes almost $430k a year, while the avg univeristy President makes just over $300k. (To be fair, the avg salary is probably driven down by the salary small school presidents).
Ok, then I probably mixed up. Not sure why I thought extension...

how does someone even become qualified to be a university president ?

how in the world did we end up with McPhee as ours ?

LINK: MTSU names interim President

This might help you understand. Dr. Smith served as interim President of MTSU after being appointed by the TBOR. He brought Dr. McPhee and John Cothern with him from the Univ. of Memphis. Cothern was his longtime right hand at Memphis. McPhee was the Provost there. Cothern was a former Tiger Football Equipment Manager, Law School grad, and NCAA Compliance Director for Athletics. He retired as VP Of Finance at MTSU for McPhee and passed away a few years ago here in Franklin. Smith was a MTSU grad but spent most of his entire career at Memphis State.

FR explained how MT ended up with McPhee.

University presidents are usually required to have at terminal degrees (PhD, EdD, DBA, etc). In recent years, a few guys without terminal degrees have become university presidents, but they usually have outstanding qualifications needed by a specific university.

Jim Tressell (only has a MEd, I believe), but enjoyed sustained success & leadership as a football coach
David Shannon at Freed-Hardeman (FHU) : President Shannon doesn’t have a terminal degree but served on the board of another faith-based university & was served as minister of a fairly large congregation. His leadership at FHU increased student-enrollment, giving, etc. FHU, a school of ~2000 students just announced a $100 million campaign. After an 18 month quiet period, they’ve already secured $80-90 million.

University presidents are usually required to have at terminal degrees (PhD, EdD, DBA, etc).
lamar alexander was the president of ut-eastern and spent money like a drunken sailor. His downfall was building an unwarranted presidential vacation home.

lamar alexander was the president of ut-eastern and spent money like a drunken sailor. His downfall was building an unwarranted presidential vacation home.
I think it's safe to say wasteful spending is not a problem that is exclusive to presidents with - or without - terminal degrees. It's an issue plaguing most of academia, although I'm not entire sure who is to blame : the presidents / chancellors for increasing administrative position, accreditation agencies for requiring administrative positions, or boards / states for putting emphasis on things that require additional administrative positions.

I didnt realize that is how McPhee came. (As a 19 year old you don't pay attention to that stuff like you should).

That leaves no doubt in my mind who is running this university. Steve Smith. Probably with someone behind him pulling the chains as we've all said. Wow. Just wow.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Too lazy, and didn't really want to, to look through the thread for this. But Middle should offer Sanders at Jackson St, make him tell you no. His name alone would sell seats and he's killing it recruiting with facilities on par with MT's. Worse case, you keep Stock for the next season.

I know, wishful thinking. That's all I got with this school anyway.

You offer it to Prime, and you have to offer the kitchen sink. And I don't mean $. He doesn't need the $. You give him the influence. Make him essentially AD of the football program. Give him the keys to be successful. That would require a President ok with that...

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Attended a lot of games between 2000 and 2008. Games were fun, interesting, exciting. Now it's just depressing. MT's opponents do not interest me at all and have not interested me in a long time. Pretty much gave up MT sports completely when they left the Sunbelt. With all the conference changes taking place I am hoping changes are made that may bring back my interest. Clock is ticking though. I aint got many years left.

Is that for real? I thought auto extensions were done? If this is true, I am done. Done. I’ll be in my 50s by the time he leaves.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Some people don’t do their research. Stocks contract capped the option to have extensions at five years. He can no longer receive a contract extension automatically.

Also unless they gave him a secret extension somewhere no one else knows about his contract ends after the 2024 and before the 2025 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT