ADVERTISEMENT

Fire McDevitt

The calling out on X has already started. Me included. I'm not gonna blow em up. I've said my peace and will leave it at that, but somethings gotta give.

Reactions: ewglenn
I’m still waiting for all the apologies from the shit I took the first couple of years for pointing out why this was a bad hire.

I’m kidding.

Seriously though, I’m not sure there could be a more convincing set of data at this point to tell M&M what to do. But that, of course, doesn’t mean they will do it.

If M&M are going to fire McDevitt, they should have already pulled the trigger.

If they are going to keep him, then Massaro should release a statement this weekend explaining the decision. Agree or disagree with him, I would at least respect him for leading front the front.

The hesitation and delay does not help with the trust issues. It makes Massaro’s transparency comments when hiring Mason sound disingenuous.

The virtue of patience quickly turns in the vices of complacency, hesitation and reluctance.

I honestly cannot think of one time I would credit Chris Massaro for being a leader instead of a manager. One time before he retires, I wish Chris would show some testicular fortitude and lead when there is a difficult decision that needs to be made.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
That's it exactly. I just want something said. If McD is going to stay, ok. Say we hear and see concerns and demand more. Etc etc. Say something that shows a fire. CM has said the dept needs to communicate better. So do it. Say something.

No you can't say champ or fired. But it can be said in a way that shows fans more is demanded and show McD is on a short leash. Say that with improvements coming soon to historic Murphy Center, it is a venue that deserves to have consistent championship banners hung for all sports it hosts. That Coach understands the expectations etc etc.

I mean don't just carry on, even if you don't renew him but don't fire him. At least say something and maintain the goodwill built from the CDM communications with fans. All that has been built, don't blow it now.

Insell has had the Ladies in the post-season every single season he has been here. Every single one (not counting cancelled covid) in his 19yrs. There is zero reason the men can't do that too.
There are 351 men's programs, and 116 make it between NCAA, NIT, and CBI. That's 33%. I don't think it is too much to expect us to be in the top 1/3 every year.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
If they pull one of those Double Secret Contract Extensions that will erase so much of the goodwill that they got during the Stockstill ousting. But I would not put it past those we have in charge of this Athletic Department to do just that.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
If they pull one of those Double Secret Contract Extensions that will erase so much of the goodwill that they got during the Stockstill ousting. But I would not put it past those we have in charge of this Athletic Department to do just that.

They may already have. His last publicly available contract ends in June of this year.

The publishers of this site FOIA’ed his current contract. It’s behind the paywall in Lightning’s lounge. Point being, if it’s longer that this June, they did extend/adjust already at least once without announcing it publicly. You know, transparency.

Some of you - even after six years of this - are like please may I have another beating. You’re ok with more beatings so long as someone comes out and tells you that another beating is coming?? Really?

It’s not my decision to make so I’m not going to say what should be done but I can’t see how any of you would be ok with tolerating this longer just because they communicate it to you. I mean this team is bad. This program is eleventeen times worse than when Kermit walked out this door. It’s not like the schedule was hard this year.

Reactions: coachchia
Some of you - even after six years of this - are like please may I have another beating. You’re ok with more beatings so long as someone comes out and tells you that another beating is coming?? Really?

It’s not my decision to make so I’m not going to say what should be done but I can’t see how any of you would be ok with tolerating this longer just because they communicate it to you. I mean this team is bad. This program is eleventeen times worse than when Kermit walked out this door. It’s not like the schedule was hard this year.
I want them to say something. My choice, move on. But this is the admin that prefers consistentcy, sometimes over results. I honestly would be surprised if they do move on. But if they don't, something at least needs to be said. That's my point. Don't maintain the status quo either way.

But yes, time to move on. There's a reason I'm not an AD. I'm too impatient. My requirements would be less than 20 wins two years in a row and you are gone.
Two years in a row or two in three of no post season, gone.
No champs over life of typical 5yr contract, gone.
More than two losing seasons in first 3yrs of first contract, gone.

The only thing that should be consistent in an athletic department is wins.

No one said that.

I don’t know a single regular MT poster that wants McDevitt back. I dont know a single MT poster that would be ok with it. So stop that nonsense.

Massaro owes fans an explanation no matter what he does. Even if he is dead wrong, at least have the guts to stand up and explain himself. He tends to be the opposite of a bold, gutsy and transparent leader.

Reactions: subkyle
What I want to hear from the AD:
"We would like to thank coach for his best efforts in providing a quality basketball program here at Middle Tennessee, & wish him great success in all his future endeavors. However, at this time Middle Tennessee will be seeking a new direction for its men's basketball program."

And that's al there is to it.
In the words of Nike, "Just do it".

We've seen enough. Not interested in giving all the reasons why he needs to go, I would say most are painfully obvious by this point. Put simply, he doesn't have the chops to recruit or coach at this level. He's had ample time to prove his worth and has not done so. I appreciate his time and efforts here, I really do. He seems like a nice guy and all that but his teams just have not been good.

There's a great coaching candidate out there who is a proven winner at our level....in fact he won and won big when he was coaching for us. Kermit Davis.

Let's go get'em
Yep.

Will today be the day we find of the fade of McDevitt? Maybe tomorrow or the next day, or will they continue to be shady bastards and keep it all under wraps?

No, this is way bigger than that and no way this would be the topic that would make them want to do it. It's probably many topics they want to address in the darkness of night - because they know from the shepherding the university to athletics they have largely failed. Remember getting our own board was supposed to be a good thing. It's been everything but that. They want to sweep some things under some rugs.

Corruption happens in the dark.

Maybe this is one of those “sensitive subjects” that the “Chairman” wants to discuss behind the blue curtain not subject to open meeting sunshine laws??😂😂
A Chairman, or a board, should have zero to do with a coach except to rubber stamp a hire unless there is a lawsuit, accusation, etc. Anything beyond that is the job of the AD. I swear sometimes this school does stuff so bassackwards.

Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

My hunch says we would have heard it by now. Portal opened today and it doesn't make sense to put off a coaching search when the portal is so essential to roster building in today's game.

I get not announcing Saturday so the women's team can have their moment. Maybe even the same could be said for Sunday and their bracket reveal. But today made perfect sense to leak/announce it.

How many other schools in the nation would still have this guy on the payroll at the end of the day today?
None.
This isn't the situation we had with football. With a coach who had won bowls, had a winning record, just couldn't get more than that etc. A "you should be glad for what you have as a G5" kinda coach.

This is COMPLETELY different.

You hired someone, it didn't work out. He smartly has a school favorable buyout, so pay it and move on. Start again. It really is as simple as that.

Especially with the standard the women have set showing it can be done at MT and with the improvements coming to Murphy.

None.
This isn't the situation we had with football. With a coach who had won bowls, had a winning record, just couldn't get more than that etc. A "you should be glad for what you have as a G5" kinda coach.

You hired someone, it didn't work out. He smartly has a school favorable buyout, so pay it and move on. Start again. It really is as simple as that.

Especially with the standard the women have set showing it can be done at MT and with the improvements coming to Murphy.
With the standard that WBB and the Tennis program have set, every other sport should be getting in line with that or should be making changes to get there.

None.

I would have fired him in 01. 3 seasons of this was enough for me and I got bombed on here for my opinions back then. LOL. Now the fire choir has grown a bit. :) The injuries were a real problem but the passing and turnover fundamental problems have been consistant for 5 seasons and that is 100% coaching. It's not gonna get better.

He's getting another year. I'd be shocked if otherwise at this point.

In 1982 Stan "Ramrod" Simpson coached Middle Tennessee to its greatest victory in history at that time. A historic 50-44 victory over Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament. That weekend The Blue Raiders were the talk of the sports world. 2 years later in the spring of 1984 that same Athletic Director asked for Coach Simpson's resignation because of an 11-16 basketball season.
What the heck happened to that AD at Middle Tennessee??

I am starting to think he isn’t going anywhere. I feel they would have already made a move by now if they were going to do it.

We have to continue to blow them up on social media. They have to know how frustrated the fanbase is with the decision to keep a failing coach in place. If his buyout is as manageable as people have mentioned, there is no reason NOT to make the change. Stock had a big contract in place, this guy apparently doesn't.

This is such a crucial time for our athletics program to rebuild itself while college athletics is in a huge wave of transition and conference reshuffling. If we don't reposition ourselves now, we are literally wasting money on the Build Blue Campaign. There will be no fanbase, stuck in the worst conference in college athletics and nobody will care about some new buildings. It will have been a giant waste.

They finally got smart with football and made the change, it makes no sense to drag the basketball program through the same situation, setting it back years. Obviously they didn't learn any lessons.

Kind of makes the good will that was starting to mend fall a part doesn't it?
That is what is frustrating to me.

I've spoken my peace to CM etc and called them out on X. I'm not gonna a create a scene and whatnot. Just prefer not to.

But as said, this is different from football. So if they are going to keep him, they need to acknowledge our discontent and not throw it (us) under the bus and ignore it. Communication and public awareness has been GREAT with D Mase. And Matt does a great job himself telling us about the ladies. Even just a quick post of him watching tape creates goodwill. And of course what Jimmy B does is remarkable. Larry Maples is great sharing things on the facilities side as well.

But don't blow all that by acting like all is hunky dory on the men's basketball side. We aren't calling for the coach after one or two bad years. The resume is there for four out of six. Really five of six as to me 20 wins should be the minimum standard. And nothing is ever shared on that side for us to see any form of improvement or change. A change is needed for wins and for a coach that embraces the public eye and sharing just as those mentioned above do.

Are we going to sit here with a MBB CNM only having 1 year on his contract. Who would transfer or come to MT as a freshman. With a 1 year deal you have nothing to sell. Typical administration with zero communication.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT