ADVERTISEMENT

When Stockstill is fired/steps down - who do we want?

It's just asinine that the strategy they have is, look at how consistent we are! Yeah, consistently mediocre at best and garbage most of the time. HOW IS THAT A GOOD THING?

This program's trajectory has been so bizarre - there's never been anything similar in sports that I can recall.

People want 2 things - championships, and hope that championships are coming. Obviously, winning sells and winning titles sell. But you can also sell losing - because everyone loves shiny new toys and coaching staffs and the hope and buzz and honeymoon period that comes with it.

What you can't do is bore people. People want a reason to get excited - but no one is going to get excited for 6-6 and bowl eligibility. Maybe in 2006 that was fine. But now, it's not going to fly.

It's like we've been fed the world's most mediocre meal for 16 years straight. At some point, it was fine. Might have even been not bad a time or two. But by now, no one is interested anymore. How they can't figure that out, I have no idea.

You do want stability. But that doesn't have mean the same person. It means a philosophy with the type of scheduling/opponents, the type of atmosphere that the home games have, if you are an offensive minded school that puts up 30 points a game or a defensive school that holds opponents to 10 points. Make yourself available every Wednesday night for a game. Fan rituals. Player rituals. All that factors in and can be done with different coaches.

To me keeping the same coach isn't stability. It's laziness. It's keeping the status quo for the sake of keeping it. Because it's familiar.

Familiar isn't always stable.
Exactly. We want to be consistently good, or at least consistently trying to be, but the only thing we are consistently with Massaro and Stockstill is mediocre. The excuses get old so fast.

Walt Bell is availabel. 2-23 record somehow was not good enough at UMass.

on a side note - manny keeps hanging on at Miami

It's like we've been fed the world's most mediocre meal for 16 years straight. At some point, it was fine. Might have even been not bad a time or two. But by now, no one is interested anymore. How they can't figure that out, I have no idea.
Do you think mcphee really wants anything else?

MT’s two HC on the FBS level were 14-21 (Stockstill) and 8-25 (Andy Mac) in the years prior to their elevation to HC at MT.

MT needs someone who knows how to build a championship program. It needs an athletic director who will be aggressive in the pursuit of championships. And it needs a president who won’t meddle in athletic department affairs.

MT’s two HC on the FBS level were 14-21 (Stockstill) and 8-25 (Andy Mac) in the years prior to their elevation to HC at MT.

MT needs someone who knows how to build a championship program. It needs an athletic director who will be aggressive in the pursuit of championships. And it needs a president who won’t meddle in athletic department affairs.
In the 3 years prior...

Whenever Stock ultimately is fired, retired, or resigns (probably the latter two), MT must hire someone who has experienced success (and knows how to build), someone who is willing to engage the MT community, and rebuild / restore trust with the fanbase.

This does NOT mean MT must hire the latest and greatest SEC assistant / coordinator. Guys that work at Bama and Georgia may not be the best fit a program that doesn't have 4/5 star players filling their 3 deep.

MT needs to look toward programs that have experienced success without the resources of some of their conference counterparts.

It doesn't matter... We're stuck with Stock's sorry ass for a while. As soon as Massaro is canned, he will can Stock to activate his golden parachute. Middle can't afford two buyouts, so here we are.

Last edited:
We are the missionary position of college athletics.

This program's trajectory has been so bizarre - there's never been anything similar in sports that I can recall.

People want 2 things - championships, and hope that championships are coming. Obviously, winning sells and winning titles sell. But you can also sell losing - because everyone loves shiny new toys and coaching staffs and the hope and buzz and honeymoon period that comes with it.

What you can't do is bore people. People want a reason to get excited - but no one is going to get excited for 6-6 and bowl eligibility. Maybe in 2006 that was fine. But now, it's not going to fly.

I'm not sold on his longevity as a coach yet, but you can't say
A he can't recruit
B he hasn't improved Jackson State
C he isn't a heck of a brand ambassador
He's recruited pretty well for a FCS school.
Jackson State is 11-4 under Deion. They went 4-8, 5-5, and 3-8 the 3 years prior to Deion's arrival.
He's an incredible brand ambassador and has gotten JSU more attention than most coaches on the FCS level.

He's recruited pretty well for a FCS school.
Jackson State is 11-4 under Deion. They went 4-8, 5-5, and 3-8 the 3 years prior to Deion's arrival.
He's an incredible brand ambassador and has gotten JSU more attention than most coaches on the FCS level.

Indeed. He's definitely done well so far. But who knows if he even wants to move up to FBS and if he'd be happy at a G5 or if he is planning on keeping winning waiting for Norvell to fail.

Indeed. He's definitely done well so far. But who knows if he even wants to move up to FBS and if he'd be happy at a G5 or if he is planning on keeping winning waiting for Norvell to fail.
It's a matter of time before Deion moves up.

I don't know if he's the next guy at FSU. I don't know if he'll need to move up to G5 before FSU.

But I don't see him as a great fit at MT

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I don't think this needs to be treated as an absolute. Otherwise, Bill O'Brian (or another Bama asst) would be the guy.

While a championship winning coach would be nice, I don't think it's a necessity.

MT needs a HC that can build a program. Someone who has coached at the G5 level, built a program, done more with less, and bring energy to the program.

Guys like :

Brent Dearmon : HC Experience at Bethel, SEC experience at Auburn
Kendal Briles : Current OC at Arkansas, with experience as OC at FAU and Baylor
Jeff Lebby : Curren OC at Ole Miss, with experience at UCF, Baylor, and NAIA Southeastern (avg 55.0 ppg in his lone season at Southeastern).
Kevin Kelley : Former HC at Pulaski Academy and current Presbyterian College HC. I have some concerns about Kelly at this point, but he has a track record of doing more with less.
Revising list to take Kevin Kelly out. Still believe MT needs someone who will be a bit “different” but Kelly isn’t the answer.

If Stock retires and Briles / Lebby aren’t called, MT fans need to riot In the streets.

Other names to watch :
Dan Mullen : Not sure he’s a great fit, but he’s a guy you kick the tires on nonetheless.
Mark Hudspeth : He’s been mentioned already. Again, not sure McPhee / Massaro go down this road, but you need to make the call.

If I’m Stockstill, I’m looking at adding these guys to the staff if something comes open

Geep Wade : OL
Chad Lunsford : TE
Mark Hudspeth : any offensive skill position
John Grass : offensive skill position

I have my eye on a couple of defensive guys that may / may not be available, but here goes :

Everertt Withers : DBs

Reactions: Raiders_55
Please refer to the athlete formerly known as Deion Sanders as Coach Prime.
Well Coach Prime won't be available. He just won a championship in his first full year as a head coach. No way our admin would be smart enough to court a winner. BTW, he had the no. 1 recruting class in all of FCS and the 55th ranked class overall. He's already done in 1.5 seasons that Stock has failed to do in 16.

No to Mark Hudspeth. According to a former Austin Peay player who played for Boots Donnelly, the reason Hudspeth was forced to resign was because he was fooling around with a mother of one of the players.

Although the reason for the forced resignation was not disclosed to the public, I believe it must be true because why would Hudspeth say, "I need to take some time away from the game with Tyla and the kids."

According to Section 10.1.2 of Hudspeth’s contract, termination could be made “if the athletic director determines in his reasonable discretion that coach Hudspeth has willfully engaged in conduct that is clearly contrary to the character and responsibilities of a person occupying the position of head football coach and which negatively or adversely affects the reputation of the university or its athletic programs in any material way.”

Section 10.1.8 states that, “egregious personal conduct that is reasonably determined by the athletic director or president to negatively, adversely and materially affect the reputation or operation of the APSU athletics program” could result in termination.

Looking at Hudspeths bio, other than his time at North Alabama
,he really hasn’t shown anything very noteworthy.

Looking at Hudspeths bio, other than his time at North Alabama
,he really hasn’t shown anything very noteworthy.
He won 4 straight New Orleans bowl games, but "the NCAA forced Hudspeth to vacate 22 wins from 2011 to 2014, including the 2011 and 2013 New Orleans Bowls and 2013 Sun Belt Conference co-championship, due to NCAA violations involving academic fraud and payments to players by an assistant coach.

In his first season as head coach, Hudspeth led Austin Peay to its first 11-win season in program history, its first Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) title in 42 years, and first appearance in the NCAA Division I Football Championship playoffs, where the Governors defeated Furman and Sacramento State before falling in the Quarterfinals to Montana State."

Reactions: ewglenn
I know some people are luke warm towards Manny, but I would take him here in a heartbeat. I think he's the type of guy that the big programs are not a good fit for him. A program like Middle or another G5 is probably his sweet spot. I'm sure they guy can crush recruiting in Florida.

Come on MT pull the trigger. Let's encourage Stockstill to retire after the bowl game (announce it now) and go get Manny !

Why isn’t Kevin Creasy on staff yet? We have a gem in our backyard. You see it in Texas all of the time, why not Tennessee?

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
Realize this is not the primary topic here, but does anyone know if Middle is playing at the Miami Hurricanes next season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT