ADVERTISEMENT

How can these people even show their faces ?

If all three are 62+; then it’s reasonable to think in the next 3-5 years all three will move on via retirement. That‘s probably our only hope since it seems they are just padding their retirement accounts at this point.

Don’t do anything drastic, just sail into retirement quietly. That’s their goal, which is not what the program and fans need.

IDK if anyone else has seen these, but gotta say, cool. Even for WKU. Helmets for each position group and even selling shirts of the logos for NIL. It is all over social media. This original post has been viewed over 700k times and liked/shared almost 3k times. Gotta give them credit for coming up with a unique idea, having an original mascot (I hate the blob but it is unique unlike ours), coordinating with NIL trust, and having a competent social media team.

EDIT...just noticed McMurphy posted it with pics of the helmets. Over 1.6m views.

Such a simple thing has garnered them so much exposure, especially with such a big game coming up against Liberty.

IDK if anyone else has seen these, but gotta say, cool. Even for WKU. Helmets for each position group and even selling shirts of the logos for NIL. It is all over social media. This original post has been viewed over 700k times and liked/shared almost 3k times. Gotta give them credit for coming up with a unique idea, having an original mascot (I hate the blob but it is unique unlike ours), coordinating with NIL trust, and having a competent social media team.

EDIT...just noticed McMurphy posted it with pics of the helmets. Over 1.6m views.

Such a simple thing has garnered them so much exposure, especially with such a big game coming up against Liberty.

Meanwhile at MT, our goals are still in sight.

We still have a lame 1970’s logo that is in bad need of a refresh. It’s a hot mess falling all over the MT.

If poor leadership and bad coaches is our #1 biggest problem, then Marketing is #1B.

BUdKfT.jpg

There is no imagination to go along with the lack of leadership. I remember years ago, a Q&A with Massaro where he was queried about a rebranding or simply a refresh, and he was simply not interested. Meanwhile the president has insured the MTXX is plastered all over the cross walks and pylons around the borders of the campus. And the slanted MTxx from the 1970s has made the appearance on various social media recruiting accounts.

Retire, resign, die with their boots on... Frankly I don't care how.

I can't wait til Mcphee, Massaro and Stockstill leave the campus and never return.

Agreed. No vision. No creativity. Like I said the other night, they've started pushing MTSU again yet CBS had Midlle Tenn on the score box.

I don't mind the old slant logo for certain things. Not the recruiting photos but maybe every few years as a throwback helmet or something like that.

As for our MT logo, timeless. Without the stupid pegasus that is. I personally hope we move to just the MT fully and never change it. But again, that takes marketing and a plan, which we don't have.

Reactions: Hop45
Agreed. No vision. No creativity. Like I said the other night, they've started pushing MTSU again yet CBS had Midlle Tenn on the score box.

I don't mind the old slant logo for certain things. Not the recruiting photos but maybe every few years as a throwback helmet or something like that.

As for our MT logo, timeless. Without the stupid pegasus that is. I personally hope we move to just the MT fully and never change it. But again, that takes marketing and a plan, which we don't have.

I can't even wrap my arms around the stupidity of waffling back and forth with this. Of all the things this place does poorly, what we do in this area could be a case study in branding failure. As I said in the past, the things I learned on the very same campus in the Jones College of Business are basically mocked by the other side of campus.

Simply sliding back to using MTSU for athletics is about as moronic as anything this university could do. If they're going to do that then they need to do a complete rebrand across the entire campus and do what LSU has done. Which would mean - though acceptable on first reference - Middle Tennessee State University would almost never be used. Instead, it's MTSU only.

Now, the reason why I don't favor that and favored changing to the U of MT, I laid out in my research years ago. Which is based on the ability to demonstrate progression to a more modern university, the impact on donations and fundraising, etc. just to name a few. Which I demonstrated happened at every university I looked at that went through a similar rebrand and name change.

Moutaineer, you are dead on. The block slanted MT logo without the Pegasus is as timeless as the power T at Tennessee or the SMU horse or even the GT logo. In fact, I think it's better than the Georgia Tech logo. A rebrand with that logo without the pegasus to the University of Middle Tennessee would do so much for the university and it's so freaking obvious that it would it just further reinforces the theory that there are forces working to keep this institution subverted.

I can't even wrap my arms around the stupidity of waffling back and forth with this. Of all the things this place does poorly, what we do in this area could be a case study in branding failure. As I said in the past, the things I learned on the very same campus in the Jones College of Business are basically mocked by the other side of campus.

Simply sliding back to using MTSU for athletics is about as moronic as anything this university could do. If they're going to do that then they need to do a complete rebrand across the entire campus and do what LSU has done. Which would mean - though acceptable on first reference - Middle Tennessee State University would almost never be used. Instead, it's MTSU only.

Now, the reason why I don't favor that and favored changing to the U of MT, I laid out in my research years ago. Which is based on the ability to demonstrate progression to a more modern university, the impact on donations and fundraising, etc. just to name a few. Which I demonstrated happened at every university I looked at that went through a similar rebrand and name change.

Moutaineer, you are dead on. The block slanted MT logo without the Pegasus is as timeless as the power T at Tennessee or the SMU horse or even the GT logo. In fact, I think it's better than the Georgia Tech logo. A rebrand with that logo without the pegasus to the University of Middle Tennessee would do so much for the university and it's so freaking obvious that it would it just further reinforces the theory that there are forces working to keep this institution subverted.
That's just it. WE all know why we should be UMT. The admin doesn't obviously. But the thing is even if we don't, maintain consistency. I mean pick one and stick with it. Middle Tenn on CBS and MTSU on ESPN isn't the answer. Especially with these midweek games where our exposure is maximized. (Of course the staff laid multiple eggs 🙄 ). Just like LSU, no one uses VA Tech's full name. Branding. UCLA, Cal, heck even Charlotte. No one uses their full names. Branding.

Like you said MT01 with regard to the business school. We have great resources on campus. Use them. Make a class every year that is just MT Athletics Marketing. Get fresh new ideas every year and using those ideas gains support long term by that student. Sooooo many things are obvious to everyone but those that make the decisions.

It just adds to the reasons on the field of why I told Hans the other day I can't support things as they are.

Reactions: blue rai
Simply sliding back to using MTSU for athletics is about as moronic as anything this university could do.
The only name change dr 7-wood cares about is changing MTSU into tsu.

Realistically when will this clown retire?
A couple of years ago, his buddies on the Board extended his contract to end of '26 IIRC. He's close to my age so he would be in his early 70s, I'm 71 now so I think he'd be 73 or 74 at that time?

His partners in this crime against MT athletics:

Stockstill will be 66 in December (He was born in 1957) his contract is written like he has pictures of McPhee and Massaro with (to paraphrase a recent La governor) 'in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy'

Massaro is the youngest of the three, in his early 60s I believe.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT