ADVERTISEMENT

How can these people even show their faces ?

Yeah, they show no understanding of MT circumstances, 18 seasons of mostly mediocrity, no conference championshipss, consistently inconsistent, getting bypassed by schools that were playing at lower divisions when MT went 1a. App State for decades has been playing at a championship level and built a fan base based off their successes going back to their FCS days. Last uncontested conference championship for MT was in the early 90s when Kelly Holcomb was QB and Boots had more than that one Championship.

18 seasons of mostly mediocrity, no conference championships, consistently inconsistent, getting bypassed by schools that were playing at lower divisions when MT went 1a.
Subjection and willful neglect by sidney 7-wood

meanwhile...

All of you are right. There is no accountability from top to bottom. Stock isn’t going anywhere, because Massaro won’t fire him. Massaro isn’t going anywhere, because McPhee isn’t going to fire him. McPhee isn’t stepping down and has no reason to as the state’s do-boy. Even in the slim chance massaro fired stock, I don’t trust him to make a good hire. I’m just hoping for a new university president at some point who understands the value of athletics and takes it seriously. These guys all have to be close to retirement, right? Right?!

Every time him and Murphy tweet something, it lessens their show's credibility even more.

I’ve kept my opinion on Murphy to myself because it isn’t kind, but I’m tired of the unreasonable fan bashing. For 20+ years my “thing” is I’ve listened to radio first and sync it with tv, when I’m able. I’ve been very spoiled with Mike Keith and the Titans. Murphy was so bad, I stopped listening to the MT radio broadcast all together. Dude has the personality of a dead moth. I’m not going anywhere near that podcast.

I was so glad Joe Dubin was announced as the new color commentator. Huge upgrade with a legit personality, and I actually commend the athletic department for this descent hire. You can hear the frustration in his voice during the games, and in my opinion, call things for what they are when it’s necessary

Last edited:
To add to my rant for quick viewing. Here is us vs our 2 biggest rivals. Both have had coaches poached, fired their replacement, and hired new.

This is thru this week.

I’ve kept my opinion on Murphy to myself because it isn’t kind, but I’m tired of the unreasonable fan bashing. For 20+ years my “thing” is I’ve listened to radio first and sync it with tv, when I’m able. I’ve been very spoiled with Mike Keith and the Titans. Murphy was so bad, I stopped listening to the MT radio broadcast all together. Dude has the personality of a dead moth. I’m not going anywhere near that podcast.

I was so glad Joe Dubin was announced as the new color commentator. Huge upgrade with a legit personality, and I actually commend the athletic department for this descent hire. You can hear the frustration in his voice during the games, and in my opinion, call things for what they are when it’s necessary
I miss Wes Counts. Felt he was best analyst we’ve had. Called it like he saw it and even questioned Stock on some calls and strategy during post game. Still wonder the reason he left?

Mean While UTAH ST with the guy that should be our head coach is killing Colorado St.

Not interested in Blake Anderson. He's admittedly achieved more than Stuckstill but he's just another average coach imo.

Personally, I'm throwing the kitchen sink at Kendall Briles. Match his current salary (1.25 million) and see if he's interested in being a head coach instead of a coordinator. Attach a nice buyout to that contract, and it pays for itself in 2-3 years after he wins here and gets hired away to a bigger school.

Bobby Petrino makes $2 million at TAMU but might consider coming here for 1.5 to be a head coach again. Same deal, put a fat buyout so when he gets hired away the contract pays for part of itself.

Brian Brohm (Louisville OC) would be another target. He's currently making 700k. We could increase that, same deal with the others attach a nice buyout.

If you want to think a little outside the box and under the radar, Andy Kotelnicki (Kansas OC) should be considered. I think he'll become much more well known over the next few years if he continues whipping ass at Kansas. One of the most underrated coordinators in the country imo. Currently making $1 mil/year, we could increase that a bit and see if he's ready to be a head coach.

There are many other great options available as well besides the few I listed above. These were just a few examples. It's a shame we can't get some fresh blood in here. Changing coaches is a healthy thing for a program, whether winning or losing. The only time a coach should be somewhere for 10+ years is if he's winning big and doesn't want to leave.

Last edited:
I miss Wes Counts. Felt he was best analyst we’ve had. Called it like he saw it and even questioned Stock on some calls and strategy during post game. Still wonder the reason he left?
Probably because he called it like he saw it and questioned Stock. Same thing will happen with Dubin. He's a good guy who I couldn't imagine not questioning some of this stuff eventually.

you have to admire the restraint Chip and Joe show. I would be dog cussing every damn play where our QB is running for his life, calling out the OL and their coaches, as well as the head coach.

Mike Furrey D2 HC done more with less at Limestone, Former NFL coach and Player.

DJ Smith CoDC at Mizzou

Blake Bake CoDC at Mizzou

Willie Simmons HC FAMU

Phil Longo OC Wisconsin

Josh Gattis OC Maryland

Alex Atkins OC FSU and he is an Oline Coach

IDK if anyone has listened to Deion's press conference yesterday, but I don't know how you can not like the man.

They won on a last second field goal. But he still wasn't happy. Called out issues. Called out the OL. Said that's not how he expects to win.

I freaking love that and would love to hear that from our coach. Expect perfection. Winning isn't good enough.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
What is worse.......being a Blue Raider football fan or a Titans fan? Similar issues with OLine and secondary. Very frustrating to be rooting for both.

Reactions: arg3b
When it comes time for a new coach (which was a few years ago) I would prefer someone that 1st is a great recruiter (working the portal). In a conference like ours, I think talent can makeup for a lot of things.

I prefer a young, hungry coach with D2 being a good place to look. Maybe you can do a 3 year, $3.5M contract with a $5M buyout. Just don’t renew after one year. You will never keep a top talent coach so don’t try to make MT a final destination. Just pay as much as you can and don’t lock-in too much, keeping a somewhat low buyout so they can move on to a bigger program if they want to. Kendal Briles fits that mold, but there must be something else besides the Baylor situation that keeps holding him back. He has bounced around a lot with nobody willing to give him a shot.

Reactions: RaiderDeez

Well, we are talking about two dudes who probably would have never stepped foot into a D1 locker room as a player if not for Stock.

I get their loyalty to Stock, but their loyalty to the school and the athletic department as a whole is very questionable.

IDK if anyone has listened to Deion's press conference yesterday, but I don't know how you can not like the man.

They won on a last second field goal. But he still wasn't happy. Called out issues. Called out the OL. Said that's not how he expects to win.

I freaking love that and would love to hear that from our coach. Expect perfection. Winning isn't good enough.
Stock needs to take some responsibility vs tossing kids under the bus.

Mike Furrey D2 HC done more with less at Limestone, Former NFL coach and Player.

DJ Smith CoDC at Mizzou

Willie Simmons HC FAMU

Phil Longo OC Wisconsin

Josh Gattis OC Maryland

As a FSU fan, I need Atkins in tally on a lifetime contract. Won't happen though -- more than likely will go to a higher G5 school. He's a hell of a OL coach and improved our OL play the last 2 years.

I would stay away from Gattis. Michigan's talent really hid how horrible of a OC he actually is. Didn't have a good stint at Miami and Maryland's Offense is really ran by Locksley.

DJ Smith CoDC at Mizzou

Willie Simmons HC FAMU

Phil Longo OC Wisconsin

Josh Gattis OC Maryland

I don’t think the MT brass could get past the stuff that went down when he was here. He’s a great coach. I’d be ok with giving a guy a second chance, especially since his nose has been clean for 10 years. But MT admin won’t.

Longo is another good coach, but he’s 55. And MT needs youth and energy.

If Stock announced his retirement tomorrow, here’s the guys I’d start with

Kendall Briles
Manny Díaz
Dan Mullen

I’d like to chat with a few folks at UTK. What they’ve accomplished in such a short time is intriguing to me and I’d like to see how they’d handle the situation at MT if they were HC.

I know, but the man has matured and turned Prairie View into a winner and FAMU back to the top Since taking over at FAMU in 2018 he is 33-12, he is young and knows how to use the portal and recruit
He was 31 years old when it allegedly happened. And Stock had dismissed a player just a couple of years earlier for the same alleged offense (if not worse.)

I don’t think the MT brass could get past the stuff that went down when he was here. He’s a great coach. I’d be ok with giving a guy a second chance, especially since his nose has been clean for 10 years. But MT admin won’t.

Longo is another good coach, but he’s 55. And MT needs youth and energy.

If Stock announced his retirement tomorrow, here’s the guys I’d start with

Kendall Briles
Manny Díaz
Dan Mullen

I’d like to chat with a few folks at UTK. What they’ve accomplished in such a short time is intriguing to me and I’d like to see how they’d handle the situation at MT if they were HC.

That would be a good list.

Briles might be ready for an HC job, and considering that he kind of flamed out a little bit at Arkansas, his stock might not be as high as it was a year ago.

Diaz, I always felt had a raw deal at Miami. Would be a good fit to get back into HC here.

Mullen is, IMHO, the best coach, but doesn't recruit well (or really much at all), so not sure about that.

Fun to think about, but we're getting more years of Stuck.

Massaro and McPhee should not be allowed to pick the next coach. If they do, we will end up with Jody Wright, USCe’s current TE coach for the next 2 decades.

To the OP comment, these people can show their face because they don’t think they are doing a bad job. Massaro thinks he is doing a good job, or he would have left years ago. Lacks self-awareness.

They are meeting the expectations set before them. Problem is, those expectations are too low.

McP has ZERO idea that football needs to be better. He wants an overall athletic dept that doesn't lose money, wins champs now and then, gets publicity now and then, and is run clean.

Well CM is doing that. That same expectation has trickled down to football, and even basketball. They view not having a losing record over the last 18yrs and making a few bowls as good. Same for MBB. Make the champ game and some post season tourney and call it good. Even WBB to an extent. Rick has done a tremendous job but can't get over the NCAA Rnd 1 hump.

The Pres should be pressuring the AD for ALL programs to be winning conference champs and moving forward in post season tourneys. Am I saying national champ, no. But softball can do it. Tennis can. MBB did with Kermit. Zero reason FB can't as well except for the fact those in charge have set expectations too low.

And honestly it starts with the board putting zero pressure on McP, who puts zero pressure on CM, who puts zero pressure on Stock.

They are meeting the expectations set before them. Problem is, those expectations are too low.

McP has ZERO idea that football needs to be better. He wants an overall athletic dept that doesn't lose money, wins champs now and then, gets publicity now and then, and is run clean.

Well CM is doing that. That same expectation has trickled down to football, and even basketball. They view not having a losing record over the last 18yrs and making a few bowls as good. Same for MBB. Make the champ game and some post season tourney and call it good. Even WBB to an extent. Rick has done a tremendous job but can't get over the NCAA Rnd 1 hump.

The Pres should be pressuring the AD for ALL programs to be winning conference champs and moving forward in post season tourneys. Am I saying national champ, no. But softball can do it. Tennis can. MBB did with Kermit. Zero reason FB can't as well except for the fact those in charge have set expectations too low.

And honestly it starts with the board putting zero pressure on McP, who puts zero pressure on CM, who puts zero pressure on Stock.

This pretty much is our situation summed up perfectly.

500+ collegiate athletic departments around the nation: We are doing our best to win!

MTSU: As long as we don't lose too big, we're good!

Last edited:
My issue with Chris Massaro: where’s his self-awareness and integrity? So Seven wood doesn’t value athletics, where’s your leadership, drive and self-reflection over the years? He was an athlete at one point, where’s that athletic drive? Where is managing up?

How can you stay in this position if you are driven for success? How do you not move on for more competitive jobs? It reeks of the Peter Principle. It reeks of complacency. It reeks of self-awareness.

Does he ever look in the mirror and question should he still be the AD?

If you’re an AD at an FBS school and you are just trying to make it to retirement, then you shouldn’t be the AD. Have some pride Chris. Do the right thing and leave.

My issue with Chris Massaro: where’s his self-awareness and integrity? So Seven wood doesn’t value athletics, where’s your leadership, drive and self-reflection over the years? He was an athlete at one point, where’s that athletic drive? Where is managing up?

How can you stay in this position if you are driven for success? How do you not move on for more competitive jobs? It reeks of the Peter Principle. It reeks of complacency. It reeks of self-awareness.

If you’re an AD at an FBS school and you are just trying to make it to retirement, then you shouldn’t be the AD. Have some pride Chris. Do the right thing and leave.
I get it, to an extent.

I was chastised years ago because I had no desire to move up in my then company. The higher ups just didn't get it. But, I excelled at what I did. Got the max performance raise every year. Even trained other people. I just didn't want more responsibility.

That is the difference. If you don't want to move up to a power school or even bigger G5 school, fine. I can accept that. But excel to the max where you are then. Don't accept less than the best.

His reputation is already damaged. He cannot go anywhere else because no other school wants him, even if it is 7 wood's fault.

Massaro is the face of the athletic department, and it looks like his complete failure, hands tied or not. And frankly, he shoulders a lot of the blame for the very reasons mentioned above.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
His reputation is already damaged. He cannot go anywhere else because no other school wants him, even if it is 7 wood's fault.

Massaro is the face of the athletic department, and it looks like his complete failure, hands tied or not. And frankly, he shoulders a lot of the blame for the very reasons mentioned above.
Who said go anywhere? Retire and get on the consulting circuit. He’s making $250,000 / year for how long? He’s 62 or older. He should be easily be set for retirement at this point. His family is in the top 3% incomes in the country.

We already have capable replacements in place. What does CM provide that wouldn’t be immediately upgraded by replacing him with someone like Lee?

He’s coasting to retirement making a quarter million a year to accomplish minimal results. And he doesn’t feel bad about that at all? I thought he was supposedly a man of principle and integrity.

I just don’t understand the mentality.

Who said go anywhere? Retire and get on the consulting circuit. He’s making $250,000 / year for how long? He’s 62 or older. He should be easily be set for retirement at this point. His family is in the top 3% incomes in the country.

We already have capable replacements in place. What does CM provide that wouldn’t be immediately upgraded by replacing him with someone like Lee?

He’s coasting to retirement making a quarter million a year to accomplish minimal results. And he doesn’t feel bad about that at all? I thought he was supposedly a man of principle and integrity.

I thought I read something about moving up. Him and Stock both have fleeced this university.

Don’t understand that type thinking either
Common knowledge Lee and Hans were hired to be the face of the Athletic Dept because no one in the public really cares for Chris. He’s probably more suited behind the desk as administrator than the face or the organization.
Why would McPhee hire two to cover the sins of one ?

Is it safe to assume that all the preseason hoo-ha pumped out in the July Blue Raider Blitzes has evaporated away again by Mid-October????!

It’s time for the “we’ve still got a lot to play for” annual Stockstill speech.

• Sad
Reactions: Hop45
Is it safe to assume that all the preseason hoo-ha pumped out in the July Blue Raider Blitzes has evaporated away again by Mid-October????!

It’s time for the “we’ve still got a lot to play for” annual Stockstill speech.
So here is the thing. The whole "lot to play for" thing.

There are 43 bowl games this year. 133 FBS teams and technically 3 aren't eligible. So that leaves 130.

64.6% of teams get in a bowl. 33.1% of FBS teams will be a bowl champion. That is the goal of our admin. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy if we make bowls. Players get more practice, get swag, extra pub for program, etc. I get it. But 85 other teams are too. I get celebrating a bowl WIN with a banner, but not an appearance.

It isn't an exclusive club. But let's not try and be part of the <10% that are conference champions. Or the 18% that are ranked every week. 🙄 Let's throw away that goal before the season midpoint. Let's play for being not even in the top half of FBS, let alone the top half of G5 teams.

Big thing too is bowls will mean less once the expanded CFP starts. It's why I said we needed to win a 3rd straight this year at the minimum to grab any momentum and pub we can. But I seriously have my doubts we will this year.

I feel for the players that give their hearts to this. I really do.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT