ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question/Discussion

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
Over the years, I have stopped saying x person should be fired. It's not my job to determine who should be hired or fired for any position except the office I currently lead. That said, I have no problem saying I'm not donating, I'm not coming, and I'm not supporting what I see as an anchor tied around the neck of this University. But if there are any Board members who lurk know this. As I progressed in my career, I truly believed that my donations to the University's academic endeavors and athletics would increase commensurate with my own pay increases. That obviously has not happened. The failure of leadership at this University forced me to withdraw all funding. If you fail to manage the resources I do provide you, what rationale are you using to expect me to continue to do so much less give you more just to fail with it too?

So, again as I said last week these comments aren't about a single loss to our rival or a loss to a transition team. Or even a loss of one law school. It's more about how those types of things are happening yet again and again and again and pulling the curtain back to see why. What's exactly going on? What's behind the curtain isn't pretty. I'm not sure what bullets I have left other than completely disowning my alma mater. Is that what it has come to and what I need to do? Mail my diploma back?

But regardless of what's next, I have serious questions for people in charge. The ones who oversee the University, the athletics program, and the football program. What is your creed? Do you even have one? What are your moral convictions? What are your goals and objectives? We've never seen them if they exist. In what way do you hold yourself accountable not for the people below you who report to you but for yourself as a professional, as a human being. We know in great detail that Rick Stockstill holds his players to a certain standard once they sign. Going to class. Community support. Doing the right things on and off the field. Hold yourself accountable for your teammates success. Etc. We've heard all that from Stock over the years about his expectations for the people under his tutelage. But Rick Stockstill what is your own personal creed and level of integrity and how do you hold yourself accountable? It's certainly not covering for kids who break the law as you have. Or even sweeping under the rug someone who was betting on his own team. And it's damn sure not failing to take responsibility for your failure in specific games or for never winning a conference title in weak conferences. Nor is it outsmarting your own leadership chain to set a bar so low that just about any other coach could meet to keep those automatic extensions rolling. If Rick Stockstill could execute a gameplan as good as he could his contract negotiations we would be on top of the world. I'm not saying he's not a decent person who does decent things. But I don't see a man who holds himself to the same standards he's asking of his team. Mainly to be accountable to the man next to you and truly competing. What we see is not competing. Anyone who is ever been involved in sports knows the objective through "competition" - is to win. But you cannot win and you really can't be truly competitive if you aren't doing everything you can to make your program the best that it can be. That requires making tough decisions. It requires evolving and innovating - not resting on your laurels. Coach how much more time do you need to produce an offensive line that's better than a transition FCS DL? I mean is 18 years not enough time to have figured that out? There's no way Rick Stockstill is waking up every morning with that mindset. What message has that sent to 100 kids every year for two decades? Well, let's look at the proof we have there. What we've seen are enablers who back the coach up no matter how poor the performance. That's not positive influence on how to be excellent people or an outstanding professional.

Which leads me to the others. With Rick I know that there is at least something within him that has a degree of integrity (though he's been chipping away at that each and every year this goes on as far as I'm concerned). But with M&M, I have no idea. Do they have any semblance of a creed, intestinal fortitude, integrity, etc? We have a group a people leading this institution who say they wake up and piss excellence but then spend the day dropping diarrhea everywhere. And then we have a Board that continues to enable it all. It's no wonder the stench from campus is so bad.

I really want to mail everyone of them a copy of the book "Purpose Driven Life." And there's a dude who's a former Navy Seal on Youtube who is really worth a follow. He talks about a lot of things our leaders should be doing but probably aren't. His name is Chadd Wright.

1. Accept responsibility, privilege, and loyalty to the team.
2. Prioritize the welfare of others, control emotions and actions, and maintain uncompromising integrity.
3. Expect to lead and be led, never quit, and demand innovation and discipline from yourself.
4. Constantly seek to sharpen skills, proficiency, and attention to detail, and stand ready to bring full spectrum of knowledge, skills, and ability to bear in order to achieve the mission and goals established by superiors.

Whether it's the Three Amigos or any of you who just wants to lead a better life. Check these things out. And become better. All of us including myself we can all choose to be better.

Last edited:
The late Troy Festervand, Associate Dean of Graduate and Executive Education was a great mentor to me getting into the MBA program and eventually becoming a MTSU graduate. He was also an avid Blue Raider fan for all sports. He passed away last March and I often wonder what his take today would be on the current state of affairs with our Athletics Dept.

I really appreciate the thoughts and well put together message. The unfortunate part is... these people with the power in this situation do not care, so no matter what we say, it will not make any difference.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I just don’t know how anyone could possibly feel one ounce of self respect knowing this program has been destroyed because of your actions/lack of action. Do you not go home each day just depressed that you are responsible?

I don’t expect perfection by any means. But this slow and steady decline and nothing is done is just depressing. Literally letting it burn down in front of you.

If anyone has ever read Extreme Ownership by Jocko, they know this is what EVERY person in that AD needs to read.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT