ADVERTISEMENT

Really?

I have to speak directly to those who continually talk about how negative this forum is.

Sealteam Answer Me GIF by Paramount+

If you go back to the late 90s when I started visiting and posting on forums, the athletic program was making strides in such a way that there was an abundance of optimism. A lot of that optimism came from the vision of leadership and there was a trust and confidence in that leadership that a better decision would be made and outcomes would improve the program regardless of who coached.

For football, Boots Donnelly willingly stepped down because he knew there would need to be another person to lead football in the era of 1-A. So much respect for that man. Even when things went south with Andy, we knew that the administration would make a needed change for the good of the program and the school.

In basketball, Randy Wiel (like coach Stock) was a likable person but couldn't get the job done. He did a tremendous job getting people from the Roy Williams coaching tree to come to Murfreesboro and could recruit the heck out of foreign national players but did little on the court. Again, we knew a needed change would occur and that trust and confidence was still there.

The forums are a representative of the fanbase and there was little to no negativity because we knew those in leadership would do the needful. Our biggest complaint at the time was that we were building something new in the boro but a large swatch of students and alumni would continue to support the orange.

Enter in our current leadership. That trust and confidence has been broken, severely.

They let Kermit Davis squander for many many years.
They let the football program ROT!!!!! in facilities, expectations, and perception.
It is looking like they are allowing basketball to do the same. Until they do something with the bleachers, Murphy Center is starting to be a low class facility and nothing needs to be said more about CNM.

You can search the delphi forums or take this for what it is worth. It wasn't always like this. The board had meetups. The board had people contributing money for bowl tickets donated to local charities. We had days where we would paint the town blue with calendars. We had fly your flag fridays. The boards organized the Palladium trophy. OPTIMISM until this clown show of and administration showed up.

As MT01 has stated, what has been done at MT is unprecedented.

So what you are seeing is a direct response to what we have had to observe over the last 20 years. It hasn't been great.

Rant off.

Quoted for emphasis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hop45
I think this forum is sometimes more negative than it should be, but it is reality. Our football team was at most 8 wins and a bowl game, and our basketball team is now 6-11. Even when Kermit was here we were one bad night in the conference tourney away from missing the tournament. To be fair, 8 wins and a bowl game is a good season. We just got tired of that being our peak. We are the real fans that expect more and have been vilified for it. No one here thinks Stock or McDevitt are bad guys. Most of us don’t think they are bad coaches. Stock just overstayed his welcome and it just hasn’t worked out for Nick here. I truly believe McDevitt can be a highly successful coach somewhere, but that doesn’t seem to be with us.

This is hypocrisy in the highest. If you claim to be a True Blue fan, then you want what is TRULY good for the program, not just an individual (coach).

You follow a person, we follow a program.
100%. And the Stock cult of personality that some people had, including former players, was extremely distressing to see.

Reactions: Blue_H
Probably better to go to fly your flag game day since we don't consistently play on any day of the week anymore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT