ADVERTISEMENT

Really?

Jan 12, 2020
I have been reading this forum for years and all you people do is complain about how much you hate Massaro, McPhee, Stock and McDevitt. You still complain about Stock even though he’s gone. And for the record, none of you could even hold a candle to Stock as a coach or man or player

Question: how many of you have actually coached at the division 1 level?

Question: how many of you actually work with this generation to understand how to motivate them?

Question: how many of you have ever been responsible for someone else’s education, safety, welfare, other than your own family?

Question: how many of you have ever set up late at night with an 18-year-old freshman whose mother just died of cancer as they cried their eyes out?

Question: how many of you have ever had a student athlete die while you were in charge?

Question: how many of you are responsible for multi millions?

Question: how many of you have had to look a player in the eyes after a career ending injury and watch all of their hopes and dreams fade away in that moment?

If the answer is no to one or more of these questions, then you are not qualified to understand what the coaches at MTSU go through on a daily basis. You hide behind your computer like a computer ninja typing freely about things you have no understanding of!

If someone went after your job and your livelihood and went on social media, or your employers social media and screamed, red in the face to fire you on a daily basis… How long would you last?

Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what would you do if people blasted you on a nightly basis for trying your best and coming up short.

Another option is to go directly up the coaches, Massaro or McPhee and say it to their faces like MEN use to do.

Either support this department in the good times and bad or go support Tennessee

Or fade away into obscurity!

Last edited:
I have been reading this forum for years and all you people do is complain about how much you hate Massaro, McPhee, Stock and McDevitt. You still complain about Stock even though he’s gone. And for the record, none of you could even hold a candle to Stock as a coach or man or player

Question: how many of you actually work with this generation to understand how to motivate them?

Question: how many of you have ever been responsible for someone else’s education, safety, welfare, other than your own family?

Question: how many of you have ever set up late at night with an 18-year-old freshman whose mother just died of cancer as they cried their eyes out?

Question: how many of you have ever had a student athlete die while you were in charge?

Question: how many of you have had to look a player in the eyes after a career ending injury and watch all of their hopes and dreams fade away in that moment?

If the answer is no to one or more of these questions, then you are not qualified to understand what the coaches at MTSU go through on a daily basis. You hide behind your computer like a computer ninja typing freely about things you have no understanding of!

If someone went after your job and your livelihood and went on social media, or your employers social media and screamed, red in the face to fire you on a daily basis… How long would you last?

Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what would you do if people blasted you on a nightly basis for trying your best and coming up short.

Another option is to go directly up the coaches, Massaro or McPhee and say it to their faces like MEN use to do.

Either support this department in the good times and bad or go support Tennessee

Welcome!

What took you so long? 😂😂

Welcome to college athletics. It’s a performance based job and if you aren’t producing you’re replaced. Is what it is. I started my career working in sales and that’s the same way. I have no sympathy for them because they knew exactly what they were signing up for when they took the job.

Quote from Saban regarding stepping down. If only stock had that integrity.

The last few days have been hard," Saban told ESPN in an interview Thursday. "But, look, it’s kind of like I told the players. I was going to go in there and ask them to get 100% committed to coming back and trying to win a championship, but I’ve always said that I didn’t want to ride the program down

Get off your high horse.

So obvious it’s a former staffer based on all these “questions” they have for us.

Be a man and sign your name, especially if you are going to call us computer ninjas and claim that we are hiding from somebody.

I hide from nobody and never will. You got fired because your teams couldn’t win a championship. Deal with it.

Stephen Wiley, class of 2008

Last edited:

We all wish your husband and son the best going forward.

I'll say this. If I ever met Stock, I'd shake his hand. Say thank you for getting us out of the Andy Mac mess, taking us to our first bowl, and winning our first bowl, and then I'd say now it is time for a change. I wish you luck.

Because, it all comes down to this. His salary is paid by us (yes the student fees but you get my point). So if the school is asking for my support, my hard earned $, I expect a return of more than 50% .500. A coach is an investment that should bring in additional revenue. No champs in 18yrs, barely .500, and 5k people in the stands is not bringing additional revenue. At the end of the day it is about wins and losses.

And I'd have no issue saying that to anyone's face. Absolutely caring for the kids matters, and I won't ever fault Stock for that. I've applauded him more than once. But this is a zero sum game where wins not losses bring in the bucks. When Ryan Day is on a hot seat and forced to make staff changes, or when Brian Kelly fires his DC after a 10 win season in the SEC, that shows our standards are too low.

And until McP and CM make our Football program, the most important on campus, the same as our Women's BBall or Men's Tennis programs, then 100% I will complain.

It’s a difficult job, no doubt. That’s why they get paid at in a year what it takes some folks a decade or more to make.

Yet, despite all these challenges, coaches all over the country somehow manage to win football games, championships, and perform at a high level.

But not Stockstill and his merry band of mediocre.

Good riddance.

bozo-detected.gif

Agree with all the comments after the OP. I feel the fan base (what's left of it) was INCREDIBLY pt with our former staff. Mediocre results for over a decade after the NOB. Staffs with better records than ours were let go due to poor performance. Did their programs not have any hardships?

I love the internet. Just phenomenal.

I have nothing to add to all the responses to the original post, except they were all far too kind.

Can you imagine the journaling this one does at night?

“Dear diary, the mean men on the internet said daddy should be fired. They said he’s made too much money and been here too long without results. Daddy said I should ignore them and just go shopping for another Stanley tumbler. He said we have enough money not to worry about what the bottom 99% thinks. He’s doing the best he can. I don’t care about results! That’s my daddy. I’m gonna tell those bad men that they are losers and mean for caring about the school more than my daddy! Good night. E.A.T.T.”

I said it to Massaros face more than once. I said it in person when I quit giving. If Stockstill ever showed his face in public or took calls on his coaches show like a normal coach, I would have to his as well.

Aren’t you throwing stones while living in a glass house keyboard ninja?

I love this post. LOL. "Fade away into obscurity" That's why Stock was fired. The program was fading away . 20,000 empty aluminum seats per game proved that. We were slowly bleeding out due to complacency and mediocrity.

Mason has had the job for 1 month and 8 days and has already engaged the community more than Stock did in the last 18 years. He's using social media more than Stock ever did. Stock complained about the facilities and saying how crap they are. Mason and his staff grabbed a paint brush, brought in furniture and are making their own upgrades to improve what they have until the SAPC gets built.

As consumers of a product, we totally get to judge the product and make decisions. Welcome to life and reality. That's how this sh!t works. If we don't like it, we stop showing up and supporting. Stock and Co. were paid plenty so they don't get any sympathy from me. 18/19 years is plenty of time to get it right. That was on him, not us. I have owned 2 businesses for over 23 years now and I either listen to my customers and get them what they want or I starve. That's how it works. I don't put that on them. I took on the that responsibility when I started my companies. No excuses. Either win and lead the way or step aside. That's how the real world does things. Sorry I had to speel that out. LOL.

Welcome to the GoMiddle Raider Roundup Online Message Board. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Stick around long enough, you will become one of us. In fact I predict in three years, YOU will be the one to start the Fire Derek Mason thread!

Lmao this is 100% a woman close to stock or Chelsea Floyd.

That said, all of the questions listed here have nothing to do with the on field performance of a football coach. This isn't a little league or middle school football program - RESULTS MATTER. 17 years 113-111. I'm sure CRS has great soft skills, and the situations mentioned in your post sounds like he's had to endure some tough events, but every coach across America deals with these things.

Reactions: Predarat
Man, this has to be the wife that was saying they were only going to be in Murfreesboro for a few years, and this comes out once the article is released that Brent not being kept. It's too much emotion in the post not to be. I could be wrong

I originally thought maybe a former staff member....but definitely starting to think you're probably right here. I could definitely see this being the wife of a former coach, and if I was a betting man I think you hit the nail on the head who it could possibly be. Great detective work.

My favorite part is where we are lambasted for being anonymous, meanwhile, they're doing the same exact thing they're complaining about.

Look, I feel sorry for anyone losing a job. Especially if it's early in their career. I was worried that nobody would want our assistants after the firing. I havn't seen a single one of them land on their feet with another job. I think that is very telling......

Obviously, several (the dead weight) are just going to retire....but we had some decent younger guys on staff. Surprised to not see them picked up anywhere yet. I do hope to see them get jobs somewhere and have success. None of what happened is personal and again it sucks people had to lose their jobs.....but this is a results oriented business. Everyone knows that when choosing this profession.

I do have to wonder though, why havn't any of the former coaches landed any gigs ? Stockstill has been open about wanting to be an analyst.....these are generally low/no paid positions and pretty easy to get...?

Reactions: mtfblue
This is so bad. I mean just bad. Definitely emotionally driven without any authenticity forthe reality of things. Right off the bat this person loses credibility in a) saying we hate Stock or b) implying that McPhee is somehow not worthy of being despised.

No one here hates Stock. I think a lot of us respect him for what he's meant to this program. He just didn't win. It's really that simple. I hate that he didn't do the things Mason is doing now. I hate how he hired buddies and kept them even when they were under performing instead of putting the program first. I hate that he deferred pay raises to make it look like he was being altruistic only to add another $2.8 million dollars to his coffer, I hate that our recruiting resembled a Division II school where offers to low hanging fruit were put out there to kids in other states while completely ignoring all the HS talent in the area, but I don't think many people on this board hated the man.

Just a bad take. Emotional drivel bad take.

While I answer No to a few of your questions, I am a MTSU Letterman and have been around the game since the 1970's... Having dropped sweat for the Blue Raiders, I have been Appalled, Embarrassed, and Very Frustrated at the lack of Leadership ...

Sports are the Front Porch of a University and our leadership has made our front porch like the one on Ma/Pa Kettle movies...
A TOTAL SNAFU...

Every single “question” is what every single coach is faced with at every school. It’s not unique to MT. So why can some coaches put it together and others can’t? After 20 years unfortunately we all had seen enough to know it was on the definitely on the wrong path.

Name me one other program in all of college athletics that would let things go that long for getting the results MT got? So if anything the coaching staff had the perfect scenario, no other school would have kept it together that long.

I’d say everyone hates for anyone to lose a job but it’s reality. Really excited to see what’s happening and can’t believe it took the last 5-6 years for everyone to see this is what it’s about. New time and new level of engagement. It’s what’s already been said by so many, if you don’t produce and grow you should and will be replaced, especially for the salary and expectations.

To be honest, whoever that is had me at the first part about all we do is complain about the same things because I agree, but then they lost me right after. My favorite thread on this board so far. Good job everyone.

I’d say everyone hates for anyone to lose a job but it’s reality. Really excited to see what’s happening and can’t believe it took the last 5-6 years for everyone to see this is what it’s about. New time and new level of engagement. It’s what’s already been said by so many, if you don’t produce and grow you should and will be replaced, especially for the salary and expectations.

I feel particularly bad for the position coaches because they are not paid ridiculous sums of money for .500 results and mostly live modest lives just trying to get by, like most of us I would assume.

The Stockstill's on the other hand have clearly been enjoying all that student fee money the last 18 years. Nice houses, nice cars, and plenty of vacations and leisure activities without a worry in the world. Brent's wifes Youtube channel will give you an idea. Must be nice.

Glad to see that gravy train has ended. It was not even close to well earned. Unfortunate we have to pay him another several million for such a poor job just to walk away. They'll be totally fine and keep living it up I'm sure.

Last edited:

Thank you! Good post. Way too much negativity in this forum.
Is it negativity or realism. I mean look at the attendance drop from 2010 to now. We are really just a reflection of what is happening in real time. At least 20k more people feel this way because they ain't there. It feels negative to the outsider but all in all, it became reality. We had a lifetime .500 coach for about 2 decades. It is what it is.

I have to speak directly to those who continually talk about how negative this forum is.

Sealteam Answer Me GIF by Paramount+

If you go back to the late 90s when I started visiting and posting on forums, the athletic program was making strides in such a way that there was an abundance of optimism. A lot of that optimism came from the vision of leadership and there was a trust and confidence in that leadership that a better decision would be made and outcomes would improve the program regardless of who coached.

For football, Boots Donnelly willingly stepped down because he knew there would need to be another person to lead football in the era of 1-A. So much respect for that man. Even when things went south with Andy, we knew that the administration would make a needed change for the good of the program and the school.

In basketball, Randy Wiel (like coach Stock) was a likable person but couldn't get the job done. He did a tremendous job getting people from the Roy Williams coaching tree to come to Murfreesboro and could recruit the heck out of foreign national players but did little on the court. Again, we knew a needed change would occur and that trust and confidence was still there.

The forums are a representative of the fanbase and there was little to no negativity because we knew those in leadership would do the needful. Our biggest complaint at the time was that we were building something new in the boro but a large swatch of students and alumni would continue to support the orange.

Enter in our current leadership. That trust and confidence has been broken, severely.

They let Kermit Davis squander for many many years.
They let the football program ROT!!!!! in facilities, expectations, and perception.
It is looking like they are allowing basketball to do the same. Until they do something with the bleachers, Murphy Center is starting to be a low class facility and nothing needs to be said more about CNM.

You can search the delphi forums or take this for what it is worth. It wasn't always like this. The board had meetups. The board had people contributing money for bowl tickets donated to local charities. We had days where we would paint the town blue with calendars. We had fly your flag fridays. The boards organized the Palladium trophy. OPTIMISM until this clown show of and administration showed up.

As MT01 has stated, what has been done at MT is unprecedented.

So what you are seeing is a direct response to what we have had to observe over the last 20 years. It hasn't been great.

Rant off.

Thank you! Good post. Way too much negativity in this forum.

When I think “Little Middle” mentality, I think of people like this and the OP.

Perhaps what you consider as negative is an unwillingness to accept mediocrity and be sheep, enabling and supporting failure. It’s been years of this under M&M. The enemy of great is good, or in our case, average. And where the hell else are fans supposed to vent?

If you notice, even those with reservations about Mason have been positive about how he’s handling his business. People are positive about Lee and Hans for their work and efforts. But keep ignoring that.

You do you man. If you want to caddie McPhee’s seven wood, that’s your prerogative.

I have to speak directly to those who continually talk about how negative this forum is.

Sealteam Answer Me GIF by Paramount+

If you go back to the late 90s when I started visiting and posting on forums, the athletic program was making strides in such a way that there was an abundance of optimism. A lot of that optimism came from the vision of leadership and there was a trust and confidence in that leadership that a better decision would be made and outcomes would improve the program regardless of who coached.

For football, Boots Donnelly willingly stepped down because he knew there would need to be another person to lead football in the era of 1-A. So much respect for that man. Even when things went south with Andy, we knew that the administration would make a needed change for the good of the program and the school.

In basketball, Randy Wiel (like coach Stock) was a likable person but couldn't get the job done. He did a tremendous job getting people from the Roy Williams coaching tree to come to Murfreesboro and could recruit the heck out of foreign national players but did little on the court. Again, we knew a needed change would occur and that trust and confidence was still there.

The forums are a representative of the fanbase and there was little to no negativity because we knew those in leadership would do the needful. Our biggest complaint at the time was that we were building something new in the boro but a large swatch of students and alumni would continue to support the orange.

Enter in our current leadership. That trust and confidence has been broken, severely.

They let Kermit Davis squander for many many years.
They let the football program ROT!!!!! in facilities, expectations, and perception.
It is looking like they are allowing basketball to do the same. Until they do something with the bleachers, Murphy Center is starting to be a low class facility and nothing needs to be said more about CNM.

You can search the delphi forums or take this for what it is worth. It wasn't always like this. The board had meetups. The board had people contributing money for bowl tickets donated to local charities. We had days where we would paint the town blue with calendars. We had fly your flag fridays. The boards organized the Palladium trophy. OPTIMISM until this clown show of and administration showed up.

As MT01 has stated, what has been done at MT is unprecedented.

So what you are seeing is a direct response to what we have had to observe over the last 20 years. It hasn't been great.

Rant off.
Man you just took me down memory lane with the Delphi forums. I even participated in Fly Your Flag Fridays in KY where I was the only MT alum in town.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT