ADVERTISEMENT

When Stockstill is fired/steps down - who do we want?

MT's issues are both recruiting AND player development (in the weight room and on the field).

While this may be an unpopular opinion on the board, I think Stock COULD right the ship if he was willing to make significant changes to staff (West, Mallory, Brock, etc)
Unfortunately that will never happen on his watch unless ordered to can them which will never happen either. They are thicker than thieves. Let’s face it, Brock would have been gone immediately at any other institution for the social media stunt he pulled in the Florida St former players forum. Even worse, one of our former players turned him in. The whole dysfunctional mess has been allowed fester for years. And I don’t buy the “baby on the way” excuse for Hockman’s departure either. I say had he not been yanked in San Antonio, he would still be here. I think it’s great that Chase is a walk-on who defied the odds and worked his way into a starting role and a scholarship. Unfortunately, in the real world of college football, you don’t win a whole lot of games with a 5’11 188 lb. walk-on QB. He could prove me wrong but I doubt it.

...I think Stock COULD right the ship if he was willing to make significant changes to staff (West, Mallory, Brock, etc)
If he was willing to do that he would have, should have done that several years ago. After 16 years, not sure what's left of the fanbase has much patience with that idea of giving CRS more time. I could see Massaro more easily making a demand like that, and hopefully that would be so onerous to stockstill that he would go ahead and retire than be forced to fire his buddies.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
And one more thing……I’m glad for Reed that he got his record. Unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things, when your free safety is the school’s all-time leading tackler after his four years (instead of in interceptions), you’ve got bigger problems up front and at linebacker.

Not even really entertaining the idea of replacing Stockstill because:

1. We cannot afford to fire him

2. Massaro/McPhee will be hiring his replacement. Look at our Basketball program......

It feels 100% futile at this point to be a fan of this university.

Not even really entertaining the idea of replacing Stockstill because:

1. We cannot afford to fire him

2. Massaro/McPhee will be hiring his replacement. Look at our Basketball program......

It feels 100% futile at this point to be a fan of this university.
"It feels 100% futile at this point to be a fan of this university."

I'm here only for the comedy. It damn sure ain't for the sports.

Unfortunately that will never happen on his watch unless ordered to can them which will never happen either. They are thicker than thieves. Let’s face it, Brock would have been gone immediately at any other institution for the social media stunt he pulled in the Florida St former players forum. Even worse, one of our former players turned him in. The whole dysfunctional mess has been allowed fester for years. And I don’t buy the “baby on the way” excuse for Hockman’s departure either. I say had he not been yanked in San Antonio, he would still be here. I think it’s great that Chase is a walk-on who defied the odds and worked his way into a starting role and a scholarship. Unfortunately, in the real world of college football, you don’t win a whole lot of games with a 5’11 188 lb. walk-on QB. He could prove me wrong but I doubt it.

If he was willing to do that he would have, should have done that several years ago. After 16 years, not sure what's left of the fanbase has much patience with that idea of giving CRS more time. I could see Massaro more easily making a demand like that, and hopefully that would be so onerous to stockstill that he would go ahead and retire than be forced to fire his buddies.
You are both correct. And that's why it's time to move on.

Stock's unwillingness to make the changes necessary to make the program successful show the fans / supporters that it's time for a change.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
What happened to the billboard idea? That would do more to bring attention to this fiasco than emailing the numbnuts in charge. I think it would generate a ton of news.
I have no idea how to get this done but I'm willing to donate to the cause.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
Maybe there's a radio or coaches show going on
Yes, Chip was making excuses for our lose at Charlotte. Opened with how difficult it was to prep in rain when we played in good weather in Charlotte.

I just didn’t want to start a new thread about the call in show.

What happened to the billboard idea? That would do more to bring attention to this fiasco than emailing the numbnuts in charge. I think it would generate a ton of news.
I have no idea how to get this done but I'm willing to donate to the cause.
I like the billboard idea as well. If placed in a prominent location could raise some eyebrows, start some water cooler convo, and piss off some university brass. I think our cry for help also needs to come from the media. What media you ask? We have none. Stock and Massaro are on Pogue and Burton’s show weekly I believe. The times I catch their show there are no tough questions, nothing about changes, just a bunch of good ol boy back and forth. Both Pogue and Burton are “award winning” journalist. Shame on them for not doing their jobs. Speaking of “award winning journalists“ MT’s own Monte Hale Jr has skin in the game, has been covering this program for many years, yet Crickets. Nothing hard hitting, nothing demanding change, nothing to get the reader or listener to even question anything going on over at Cope. The casual fans thinks all is well. Middle is Middle so why rock the boat.
Who will carry the torch? Who will step up and rock the boat? Are there enough ex players who are fed up that would meet CM and start a grass roots movement? I’m sure Wes Counts is not happy with this Sh@tty product being sold as “ we competed our tails off”.
Rant over. Fed up!
Still aint spending one penny on this program until wholesale changes are made.

if you really want to get some attention, put all of the 3 stooges up on the bill board and shame them all.

I believe McPhee would be much more likely to fire someone if he were getting embarassed too. And not many billboards in the past call out ADs and the President plus the head coach, so it would be unique.

Hit up Phil...I'm sure he can make a story on nepotism and good ole boy network
I like the billboard idea as well. If placed in a prominent location could raise some eyebrows, start some water cooler convo, and piss off some university brass. I think our cry for help also needs to come from the media. What media you ask? We have none. Stock and Massaro are on Pogue and Burton’s show weekly I believe. The times I catch their show there are no tough questions, nothing about changes, just a bunch of good ol boy back and forth. Both Pogue and Burton are “award winning” journalist. Shame on them for not doing their jobs. Speaking of “award winning journalists“ MT’s own Monte Hale Jr has skin in the game, has been covering this program for many years, yet Crickets. Nothing hard hitting, nothing demanding change, nothing to get the reader or listener to even question anything going on over at Cope. The casual fans thinks all is well. Middle is Middle so why rock the boat.
Who will carry the torch? Who will step up and rock the boat? Are there enough ex players who are fed up that would meet CM and start a grass roots movement? I’m sure Wes Counts is not happy with this Sh@tty product being sold as “ we competed our tails off”.
Rant over. Fed up!
Still aint spending one penny on this program until wholesale changes are made

On the brighter side - this has to be the end, right?

Looking at the rest of the sched, I see 2 wins maybe - UConn and ODU i guess.

So that would put the last 3 year record at 10-23. No one could survive that. It is Middle, so I wouldn't put it past M&M to simply not give a sniff, but if we were at least trying to look like we're being competitive, you got to boot a coach that goes 10-23 over 3 years.

On the brighter side - this has to be the end, right?

Looking at the rest of the sched, I see 2 wins maybe - UConn and ODU i guess.

So that would put the last 3 year record at 10-23. No one could survive that. It is Middle, so I wouldn't put it past M&M to simply not give a sniff, but if we were at least trying to look like we're being competitive, you got to boot a coach that goes 10-23 over 3 years.

Outside a major upset, we are starting 1-5. However, if we win 3 or 4 of the last 6, then I can 100% see Massaro keeping Stock another year and justifying it with some terrible claim that we were improving over the second half of the season. He would include us dealing with Covid to start the season and another series of ridiculous excuses.

99% of FBS ADs would have fired Stock or agreed to some sort of retirement by this point. However, Massaro is so outside the norm, I fully expect him to continue to do the wrong thing.

I want an offensive minded head coach. Please do not hire a retread or a defensive guy like manny Diaz.

shafer is a fine DC and dearmon may be a good OC. We do need a head coach though that can actually help his OC and not be a hinderence. Rick has always striked me as a guy who thinks he knows offense but is sub par at best. Look no further than his 1 year calling plays at East Carolina. He totally bombed it

I actually like our coordinators but wish we had a head coach who could lend an offensive hand (like a Kendall briles or something) and hire credible position coaches instead of keeping his buddies on pay roll.

I’m just so over it all though to be honest. I don’t think it really matters what happens going forward. We missed our window plus we will never be able to rid ourselves of McPhee and Massaro who are a constant burden and hurt us instead of helping us.

it feels 10000% futile at this point. Missed our window of opportunity and have baffoons in leadership positions that are not going anywhere.

It's not just Xs and Os. A school like ours, and most G5s, need a coach that is personable, excitable, a great public relations man. Not someone that has the excitement of a tree stump and who obviously hates fund raising events.

Quarterback isn't the problem. Right now, Chase's QB rating is higher than any of Brent Stockstill's seven seasons. Even his 4K+ yards 30+ TD season.

The problems are much deeper like the fact that they thought the other guy was better and didn't even start Chase until the third game. But you already highlighted a lot of those problems with CRS. And with the steam of pile at the top of the University we all know which way that flows. There are literally just too many things it's almost comical if it weren't destroying us.

I'd like Manny Diaz but if he gets fired he will probably get a lot of DC offers from good Power 5 teams. Not sure he would want this job.

Nick Hill for Southern Illinois would be my pick. They are currently #4 in the FCS. Steady improvement under him. He is young (36), offensive minded (was a QB and OC) and cheap (currently making 175k). Doing more with less at SIU in the MVFC.

The guy at UTM, Jason Simpson is 6-1 with a loss to WKU opening day. His son at Martin Westview HS is a 4 ⭐️ ⭐️⭐️⭐️ QB ranked #2 in TN and #26 nationally. He’s committed to Saban and The Crimson Tide so his dad may be headed to Bama as a QB coach or consultant. 😉

Nick Hill for Southern Illinois would be my pick. They are currently #4 in the FCS. Steady improvement under him. He is young (36), offensive minded (was a QB and OC) and cheap (currently making 175k). Doing more with less at SIU in the MVFC.

I watch a lot of FCS and really impressed with his teams and resume. Seems like a good young guy with a lot of game passion. This guy should be on speed dial for CM.

Beau Baldwin of Cal Poly. He had a great career at Eastern Washington (85-32), but seems to be struggling a Cal Poly for some reason.

Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State having good success in such a short time for a program that just started not even a decade ago. He also would have connections in the GA/FL pipeline.

It seems all these guys could be lured away at a $500,000 salary.

Last edited:
I watch a lot of FCS and really impressed with his teams and resume. Seems like a good young guy with a lot of game passion. This guy should be on speed dial for CM. Also, Beau Baldwin of Cal Poly (85-32). He had a great career at Eastern Washington, but seems to be struggling a Cal Poly for some reason. Brian Bohannon of Kennesaw State having good success in such as short time. It seems all these guys could be lured away at a $500,000 salary
Bohannon would be one of my top choices if not the top choice. I know Diaz is more of a name and has ties to MTSU, but do we really want a failed P5 coach over a successful FCS coach? If a guy can't win with the recruiting and resources at Miami, how in the hell do we expect him to win here?

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I actually think Manny would be good. Younger guy with obvious ties to Florida that could help in recruiting. He can’t do it at Miami, but if he’s in the new joke of a CUSA, he might dominate. But I think he would pass on the opportunit. Who really would want to come here? Unless it’s a young guy using it as a quick stepping stone, why come here?

Unless it’s a young guy using it as a quick stepping stone, why come here?
Nothing wrong with that.

The Athletic had an article on Arkansas State's revolving doors of successful coaches - not only did the job essentially recruit itself, ASU's AD made the comment that he didn't have to pay a coach for like 5-years because the buyouts paid their salaries.

We want a guy who wants to work his butt off so he can be at an SEC school in 5 years. Rinse, lather, repeat - win.

Nothing wrong with that.

The Athletic had an article on Arkansas State's revolving doors of successful coaches - not only did the job essentially recruit itself, ASU's AD made the comment that he didn't have to pay a coach for like 5-years because the buyouts paid their salaries.

We want a guy who wants to work his butt off so he can be at an SEC school in 5 years. Rinse, lather, repeat - win.

I've been saying that for years. You create an environment that young coaches can win in and get hired elsewhere, you'll have your guys begging to be on staff to move up. It won't be a problem finding someone. This whole keep people for 10 years is ridiculous.

I've been saying that for years. You create an environment that young coaches can win in and get hired elsewhere, you'll have your guys begging to be on staff to move up. It won't be a problem finding someone. This whole keep people for 10 years is ridiculous.
It's just asinine that the strategy they have is, look at how consistent we are! Yeah, consistently mediocre at best and garbage most of the time. HOW IS THAT A GOOD THING?

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
You do want stability. But that doesn't have mean the same person. It means a philosophy with the type of scheduling/opponents, the type of atmosphere that the home games have, if you are an offensive minded school that puts up 30 points a game or a defensive school that holds opponents to 10 points. Make yourself available every Wednesday night for a game. Fan rituals. Player rituals. All that factors in and can be done with different coaches.

To me keeping the same coach isn't stability. It's laziness. It's keeping the status quo for the sake of keeping it. Because it's familiar.

Familiar isn't always stable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT