ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Pulling Back the Curtain -- Discussion Thread

So while trying to distract from the subject at hand, have you found numbers to 'dig' through to respond to Mr. Bowman?
Who is trying to distract? Why the snark? I made it clear that I was traveling this weekend. And you saw exactly where I made the comparisons from. If there is additional data, I'll be glad to look at it when I find it.

Come on Franklin tighten up! Put us together a nice power point and we can go over at the candy game. Pounding beers and chopping up data, it's football time in Tennessee.

Interesting closing article, not what I expected. While we got the numbers, we also did not get a lot of our questions answered. Essentially, this came across as our numbers are down & we want to build more facilities, so the community needs to give more.

It boils down to this for me:

I have degrees from 2 universities. My wife has multiple degrees from a different university. Of the 3, MT is the least responsive alumni association /athletic department. They have not been engaging in years. If not for Dean Bud, I would basically get nothing but the alumni magazine. As I mentioned before, I get more engagement from Georgia Tech, Georgia State, or FIU about buying tickets than MT. We donate to charities & religious organizations. We have a growing family. We have X amount of expendable income - why give it to MT?

The school needs to make an argument other than they just need it. So do my other universities & the other schools do a much better job asking for it. How about addressing the apathy with the program? How about not meeting expectations or explaining the AD's expectations for our programs to the people you are asking to fund it? What's his vision for the program? What is our mission statement? Funding didn't drop simply because of economic downturn & if that's all they see, then they are sorely out of touch with our fans.

That's what I don't get. I don't see a vision or direction. I don't see a mission other than to keep up with the Jones because our facilities are out of date. Where is the leadership? You have a sample of MT's most passionate fans on these message boards & you can see the frustration with the AD. We all want to be excite and energized about the program and we are cautiously. You see apathy in your most fanatical fans and yet, you haven't addressed it. You allow apathy to replace energy. Whose fault is that?

I think Austin and Casey did a great job laying out the finances and the departmental wish list. Now it's up to the MT athletic dept. BRAA, Alumni Association, university, whoever to sell it. Now its up to the MT AD and/or BRAA to explain to me why they should get my resources compared over other schools. What's the vision, direction, mission, expectations? Where's the energy? Honestly in the past few years, overall, MT has done a piss poor job of that.

My wife and I give to several charities and The MT Foundation does the poorest job of all in asking for or causing me to want to give again (some charities spend more to get me to give again than I sent originally - or it sure seems like it). Likewise the Alumni Assoc. might as well not exist with the exception of one (?) magazine per year. The BRAA does send e-mails, a quarterly (?) magazine, has a student/athlete call occasionally to thank us for our support, and issues invitations to the annual pre-season event.

IMHO, we have such limited $$$s across the board for fundraising that we miss many opportunities. If a big donor would give a million $$$s earmarked for fundraising I'm sure the expenditures could be returned tenfold (or more) with a creative fundraising program.

Reactions: C-Bow
Interesting closing article, not what I expected. While we got the numbers, we also did not get a lot of our questions answered. Essentially, this came across as our numbers are down & we want to build more facilities, so the community needs to give more.

It boils down to this for me:

I have degrees from 2 universities. My wife has multiple degrees from a different university. Of the 3, MT is the least responsive alumni association /athletic department. They have not been engaging in years. If not for Dean Bud, I would basically get nothing but the alumni magazine. As I mentioned before, I get more engagement from Georgia Tech, Georgia State, or FIU about buying tickets than MT. We donate to charities & religious organizations. We have a growing family. We have X amount of expendable income - why give it to MT?

The school needs to make an argument other than they just need it. So do my other universities & the other schools do a much better job asking for it. How about addressing the apathy with the program? How about not meeting expectations or explaining the AD's expectations for our programs to the people you are asking to fund it? What's his vision for the program? What is our mission statement? Funding didn't drop simply because of economic downturn & if that's all they see, then they are sorely out of touch with our fans.

That's what I don't get. I don't see a vision or direction. I don't see a mission other than to keep up with the Jones because our facilities are out of date. Where is the leadership? You have a sample of MT's most passionate fans on these message boards & you can see the frustration with the AD. We all want to be excite and energized about the program and we are cautiously. You see apathy in your most fanatical fans and yet, you haven't addressed it. You allow apathy to replace energy. Whose fault is that?

I think Austin and Casey did a great job laying out the finances and the departmental wish list. Now it's up to the MT athletic dept. BRAA, Alumni Association, university, whoever to sell it. Now its up to the MT AD and/or BRAA to explain to me why they should get my resources compared over other schools. What's the vision, direction, mission, expectations? Where's the energy? Honestly in the past few years, overall, MT has done a piss poor job of that.

I agree with a good bit of what you are saying. As I told Casey just a bit ago, the issues with MT are two fold : 1)the institution doesn't effectively reach alumni, students, and community; 2) the alumni, students, and community don't effectively support the institution. In very simple terms, there is a MAJOR disconnect between a good portion of the die hard fans / supporters and the adminstration (no placing the blame on any one party at this point)

FWIW, I earned my Bachelors and Masters from another institution and the adminstration did a far better job of building an university community than the MT adminstration (this extends beyond the AD offices).

Come on Franklin tighten up! Put us together a nice power point and we can go over at the candy game. Pounding beers and chopping up data, it's football time in Tennessee.
You're the one who is supposed to win me back. Do your own PowerPoint and sell me on why I need to give besides I should support my school. Like a few others , I have two other schools that do a much better job of soliciting my support.

Disconnect is an understatement. My wife has her Bachelors from Marshall and Masters from WVU. She gives to the alumni fund for Marshall but that's it. Yet we get stuff year round from both schools )I know WVU is apples to oranges money wise but Marshall isn't it).

They send letters asking for money, flyers of new programs and buildings the school is working on. Awards they've gotten and things they have participated in. Just imagine when the science building was going on if they sent out flyers with a render, what they would have done. Same for these improvements the AD wants to do. If it wasn't for being on these boards and viewing the master plan, I'd never know any of that. They desperately need to do more than just an email now and then that gets lost in my inbox.

We have a major marketing program with genius students anxious to show their stuff. Put it to use.

Reactions: AustinLewis
I only have one degree. Honestly, I don't want a whole lot of solicitations knocking down my door. One or two times a year would suffice but the communication should make me want to stand up and give. An impact......

If I could see what I am donating to I would give a lot more. A site to show a render of what I am giving to would help.

I only have one degree. Honestly, I don't want a whole lot of solicitations knocking down my door. One or two times a year would suffice but the communication should make me want to stand up and give. An impact......

If I could see what I am donating to I would give a lot more. A site to show a render of what I am giving to would help.
I think the athletic master plan will help many fans like you

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
And be updated frequently with the progress towards the plan.

This. I truly appreciated in the articles the timeline of the updates. But it would be nice to see a master plan that shows those dates and for the soonest project has an up close render and detail of that particular project.

This. I truly appreciated in the articles the timeline of the updates. But it would be nice to see a master plan that shows those dates and for the soonest project has an up close render and detail of that particular project.
They are working on renderings and finalizing the plans for the "bigger" projects right now. As Casey said, they hope to have them by Vandy game.

There are, however, a LOT of moving parts with projects of this size so there MAY be a delay

Did you two (C-Bow and Austin) ask CM if he is "all in"? Specifically, the previous Georgia St and Dayton rumors? Has he given MT his undivided attention on these proposed initiatives for the past three years? It's a fair question if we, as Alumni are expected to do our part. I have shared in here previously of a meeting I had with CM in my office regarding a specific concern I had regarding the hiring of an assistant coach. Only later did I find out that CM was actively pursuing the Ga. State job at the same time he was there asking me for support.

Reactions: C-Bow
Did you two (C-Bow and Austin) ask CM if he is "all in"? Specifically, the previous Georgia St and Dayton rumors? Has he given MT his undivided attention on these proposed initiatives for the past three years? It's a fair question if we, as Alumni are expected to do our part. I have shared in here previously of a meeting I had with CM in my office regarding a specific concern I had regarding the hiring of an assistant coach. Only later did I find out that CM was actively pursuing the Ga. State job at the same time he was there asking me for support.

That's a fair question. CM has expressed an interest in joining us on the podcast soon. So we'll be sure to circle back with this in addition to other questions that have come to light.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I wonder if CM is going to try to get Seven Win Stockstill to get out and promote the program more.

I'm one of the first to admit that I criticize and point out many of the things that are going wrong or are just big problems. There is a place for identifying problems or broken parts in systems so that those problems can be remedied. It seems that this lengthy discussion in this thread is an opportune time for a reminder that positive growth, progress, helpfulness, improvement, and development can really take large steps forward when those of us who really care about MT athletics combine ideas, solutions, encouragement, and pulling together as a community are added or included with our criticisms, fault finding, and pointing out problems.

It seems for too many years, the MT nation is more divided than united on many of the key issues facing MT athletics and the university as a whole. With this sizable discussion going by way of this forum and even the athletic dept including AD Massaro, this is really a good opportunity for us Blue Raiders to pull together for what just might be some real improvements. Dare I say, this might be a watershed moment for MT athletics.

MT has achieved one key goal of joining C-USA a few years ago. After an initial adjustment period to the new conference, MT is in a place to plan, work, and improve our overall position in C-USA. Of course all of this is backdropped by a large force working against MT and other G5 programs by a generally greedy self centered P5 power structure which most of us have little to no control over. In this environment, football is such a huge driving force by fan and media desire for plenty of college football. MT football seems to be stuck in a place of not terrible, but MT football isn't exactly great either. Mired in this mediocrity, interest, attendance, and donations are stagnant at best. MBB on the other hand may well be experiencing some of the best success in MT mbb history under coach Kermit. MT mbb could very well be on the cusp of something incredibly special in potentially being one of the rare programs to breakthrough to national prominence and a recognized legit national program competing vs the elites of NCAA MBB. In a huge blessing, Kermit is continuing to remain loyal and committed to MT. WBB has been successful with excellent potential for great attendance. WBB hasn't broke through like most of us would liked to have seen by now, but the program is in good enough shape to have legit chances to make vast improvements and national success. Sadly, baseball has taken a downturn right when a lot of things are in place for baseball. Some changes or corrections there could result in some exciting baseball successes. Dean Hayes has created a tradition and legendary program that can continue to move forward in the years to come.

All of this lengthy exploration of MT athletics is setting out the circumstances for great successes or possible failures and downtrends. It would appear to be a critical time in MT's athletic history to really move forward with lots of success or possibly struggling in mediocrity if the MT community does not come together in a unified fashion. Highlighting this situation is a sense that there is a disconnect between the administration and the pretty dedicated fans and alums of MT. This would seem as good a time as any for both sides to try to reach out to resolve problems and work towards improvements.

My apologies for the long winded dialogue on the current state of affairs. I will try to limit my ideas and discussion on a few more relevant specifics to a few or more separate but shorter posts.

Reactions: TrueBlue147
A key problem that I know impacts my motivation, excitement, and energy for MT football is the mediocre on field performance with no real sense for hope or change in the situation anytime soon. It makes it hard to get really excited about the season.

I bring this up not to bash and blame coach stock or Massaro. I bring it up to make known that from my perspective it would help if there were more open communication on the planned direction of the football program. For instance, I would assume that Massaro would have learned by now that these 8-10 year contracts that seemingly continue to extend based upon mediocre standards is not the best way to run programs at MT. That said, I still haven't heard Massaro assert his position on the matter. It would seem that some sort of fairly open and honest communication to the dedicated fanbase would help in possibly providing hope and encouragement to continue strong support even though there may have been a few poor or non-impressive seasons. It doesn't have to be time consuming constant communication as occasional reasonable communication by newsletter, printed interview, radio interview, or podcast interview would be tremendously helpful in knowing what type of football program I'm trying to support with my effort, time, and finances.

This topic has been mentioned a few times by a few people on here this summer. I want to make sure to include it in this discussion.

In this internet age, it is almost common expectation these days to be able to pay or transfer money digitally. It's really pretty easy to set up for donations on a webpage. It seems MT is behind in the area which is puzzling since MT seems to be in desperate need of extra funds.

With this unveiling of the plans for facilities, hopefully the athletic dept will include on the official website convenient opportunities to donate online to the projects being described. It may not be the main way to raise the funds, but it seems reasonable that a fair amount of money just might be raised in that manner that could help out with the needed facilities.

Again, it would be open communication and connection between the athletic dept and the fans and alumni. A place to connect online. A webpage to learn of new MT info, and a convenient location to donate some available dollars for MT athletics and facilities etc.

One last big problem that needs addressed before I quit for now:

For a large portion of dedicated fans, alums, and people generally interested in MT, it is extensively frustrating and mind boggling that there is no indication from the athletic dept or univ admin of even an acknowledgement that there might be a problem with the university name, logo, mascot, and general branding. This specifically goes for MT athletics branding.

With the amount of people strongly expressing displeasure and frustration repeatedly over long periods of time, it is almost unimaginable that the administration would not at least take these concerns seriously. That assessment is based upon the fact that there is little to no acknowledgement or discussion from the admin on the problem much less any plans or motivation to do anything about it.

In my view, this treatment of this problem speaks to a larger problem of a lack of vision by the leadership of the university and/or leadership of the athletic dept. This comes across as a lack of vision in a couple of ways. One is simply does the univ leadership have a vision of what and how a successful MT would look in the future. Another way it reflects poorly upon leadership vision is the utter lack of communication with the people who are invested in and make up the MT community. These are the same people that want to see and help in MT being successful.

A name, a brand is so obvious in shaping identity and branding. The logo is essential as well. This is extremely essential for the MT Blue Raiders sports teams in presenting themselves in addition to marketing and selling themselves in the media and to new recruits just to name a few.

Admittedly, the univ name change would likely be a more involved process. A necessary change nonetheless. A sports logo though? It boggles the mind. Majorly successful institutions, organizations, and sports programs including the pros change and/or tweak their logos fairly frequently. It's not like it's unprecedented.

There are many a fan, alum, and interested party that are concerned and dumbfounded by the silence from the university on this matter. It's such a key factor in the identity of the univ and sports teams, logo and image is the key presentation to the public and potential customers/supporters/fans/prospect players/prospective students and the media's presentation and perception of your institution and teams. With such critical factors involved in name, logo, mascot, and branding, it would seem a given that the administration and leadership in the athletic dept would at least want to dialogue with the people about this important matter.

This important matter also sadly represents the disconnect between univ admin & athletic dept and the people in the univ community. When concerns like these do not even receive an acknowledgement, it creates a air of lack of confidence in further investing in the programs when basic crucial matters are treated with unresponsiveness.

I can only really speak for myself, but I imagine there are probably a few more with similar attitudes.

That is, I want to help MT Blue Raiders. Please help on the admin side in offering an environment to where I, and fans & alums like me, feel welcomed to help.

ADVERTISEMENT