ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Pulling Back the Curtain -- Discussion Thread

Just read Part 4 of Peeking Up Massaro's Skirt. Guys, how in the heck does CM propose to raise an amount for Athletic Facilities construction / upgrades that is roughly equal to 85% of the current endowment value? Bonds? Institution/Auxillary Funds? "Other" Funds? What the heck is "Other"?

$47.7 Million dollars. That's right. $47.7 Million. In. New. Money.

We currently pay a .500 Head Football Coach more in annual salary than the cost of proposed Women's Softball Facilities upgrades.

Current annual salary, bonuses and benefits for the entire staff ($5.8MM) would pay for the proposed Women's Athletics Facility or the proposed Tennis Facility.

How does an endowment fund drop $3MM in value since 2011 during this bull market run? Until somebody over there can prove to me that they know how to run a business, I ain't opening my checkbook again. Bahamas trips, Hawaii trips, China trips? Blue Raider Dave is a smarter CFO than me. What say you my friend?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceRaider
randyquaidhappy.jpg

This is going to be us.....

we will be like RQ at which part of the movie?

The we are going all the way part or the you big piece of cow flop, you steaming pile of mastodon dung! Bring out the pooper scooper part?

(I love this movie and regularly use RQ's insults to describe my feelings toward both my schools during a typical football game.)

Reactions: C-Bow
Don't agree with cutting off support (It's my school and clearly needs my help, what little I can afford) but FR315: you raise troubling questions which need answering regarding how the hell the endowment is going down in this investment climate - IMHO a purpose of an endowment is to grow so the income off of it, and not the principal, can be used to help the school. Personally, I know most of my long term investments have doubled (+/-) since the recession of '08. Even if only half of MT's endowment is restricted that portion's increase should have kept the amount in the endowment rising regardless of what the other funds were used for.

Just read Part 4 of Peeking Up Massaro's Skirt. Guys, how in the heck does CM propose to raise an amount for Athletic Facilities construction / upgrades that is roughly equal to 85% of the current endowment value? Bonds? Institution/Auxillary Funds? "Other" Funds? What the heck is "Other"?

$47.7 Million dollars. That's right. $47.7 Million. In. New. Money.

We currently pay a .500 Head Football Coach more in annual salary than the cost of proposed Women's Softball Facilities upgrades.

Current annual salary, bonuses and benefits for the entire staff ($5.8MM) would pay for the proposed Women's Athletics Facility or the proposed Tennis Facility.

How does an endowment fund drop $3MM in value since 2011 during this bull market run? Until somebody over there can prove to me that they know how to run a business, I ain't opening my checkbook again. Bahamas trips, Hawaii trips, China trips? Blue Raider Dave is a smarter CFO than me. What say you my friend?
I've said my piece. And you know EXACTLY what I think about things :)

I don't think cutting off support is the answer either. Then not only are you not doing anything to help your school, the administration has no reason to listen to you if you don't give them money. Our issues cannot be solved in one single message board post, but the issue comes down to a number of things. Fear is the number 1 enemy of this athletic department. We are too afraid to take real chances and take real risks to tackle issues like fundraising, attendance, and general lack of interest in the program. To me it goes back to the administration, you have a football coach who came from an established school and an athletic director who came from an established school. Coming from a school where money and fan interest are more prevalent to me is a disadvantage. What works in the SEC and ACC probably doesn't work in the CUSA. It takes more creative thinking, which obviously we don't have. As other posters have said, sometimes its a matter of effort. I don't know how to solve it. I am working with the BRAA board this term and I am going to do my best to help, and I would welcome suggestions to pass along. I am just so tired of how everyone throws their hands up and says I'm done with the program or I'm not giving until anything changes. I understand most of you have careers and family lives and don't have the time and energy to put into the program to make it better, but you still shouldn't give up on it, because we are the only ones who are going to make it better. The people that take time to post on the message board, donate money, and attend games are the ones that build the program. We need more BRAA members, we need more season tickets sold, and we need to build this program before its too late to build it. One day the gap will be so wide that there will never be another Western Michigan or Boise State. We need to cross that line before the gap becomes to wide and we will be left on the other side with the Florida Internationals of the world. Great work on this Austin.

I've said my piece. And you know EXACTLY what I think about things :)
I know. I was late to the party as a 47-year old grad student but I gave it 9 years straight after becoming a MTSU grad in '05. Sponsored golf events, served on BRAA Advisory Board, made a decent donation to the new baseball stadium, season ticket holder for football, basketball and baseball, travelled to numerous road games, bowl games and NCAA tournament games. You reach your individual tipping point. Mine was the way CM and Stock spun the 8-year contract in exchange for the 3-year bonus forbearance, hiring of Tommy West, and watching the staff on the sideline during the blowout in Bowling Green, KY two years ago.

I'm like Dave, you cannot shame me into throwing what I perceive as good money after bad so shoot me.

Going 4-0 this year would impact the attendence for THIS year...what I am talking about is building a foundation of fans, a core group that give back to MT and support our athletic teams.

Let me give you an example. I work for a SW company, my boss'es brother is the GM of the Philadelphia 76'ers (Scott O'Neil); although the team has been pitiful, the fan base is growing and their revenues are growing. I know this is apples and oranges to MT, but I don't see a detailed approach to build our brand, our fans, etc. Like I said earlier, this doesn't have to cost a lot of money, it literally is learning who your target market is and making a personal appeal over and over and over. I have use the term "Guerrilla" marketing on this board for years - its what a start up business does, we need to do the same.

Personal Story, back in the early D1 days (2002ish), I was approached by Boots and one of his assistant AD's and shared this with them, they wanted to talk to me about joining the team and possible help raise money for the AD. I told them it could be done and shared some concepts with them. They struggled understanding what would be required because we were an established AD in a University that had been around for years. What I am talking about doing is hard work, its constant follow up, its one on one, its focused, its not sexy. They wanted to cast a big net - well, guess what we are no where since then. We are not growing liked we hoped....

I agree with everything you just said. When they went D1 early on Roy Mewbourne came to my office and met with me personally. They had a couple of Blue Raider events in the Brentwood area. I thought it was on the right path. After moving to Dallas in 05 I bought extra tickets to the bowl game in Detroit for underprivileged kids to attend. (No response).. I let the BRAA contributions go after that year.. When the bowl game with Navy was played I attended with a 3 others. No one from the university reached out to me... (It was very interesting).. A different approach is needed for sure. You have a population of 100k alumni in the Middle TN area..

I did go back into BRAA last year due to the basketball team making strides..
Going 4-0 this year would impact the attendence for THIS year...what I am talking about is building a foundation of fans, a core group that give back to MT and support our athletic teams.

Let me give you an example. I work for a SW company, my boss'es brother is the GM of the Philadelphia 76'ers (Scott O'Neil); although the team has been pitiful, the fan base is growing and their revenues are growing. I know this is apples and oranges to MT, but I don't see a detailed approach to build our brand, our fans, etc. Like I said earlier, this doesn't have to cost a lot of money, it literally is learning who your target market is and making a personal appeal over and over and over. I have use the term "Guerrilla" marketing on this board for years - its what a start up business does, we need to do the same.

Personal Story, back in the early D1 days (2002ish), I was approached by Boots and one of his assistant AD's and shared this with them, they wanted to talk to me about joining the team and possible help raise money for the AD. I told them it could be done and shared some concepts with them. They struggled understanding what would be required because we were an established AD in a University that had been around for years. What I am talking about doing is hard work, its constant follow up, its one on one, its focused, its not sexy. They wanted to cast a big net - well, guess what we are no where since then. We are not growing liked we hoped....

I don't think cutting off support is the answer either. Then not only are you not doing anything to help your school, the administration has no reason to listen to you if you don't give them money. Our issues cannot be solved in one single message board post, but the issue comes down to a number of things. Fear is the number 1 enemy of this athletic department. We are too afraid to take real chances and take real risks to tackle issues like fundraising, attendance, and general lack of interest in the program. To me it goes back to the administration, you have a football coach who came from an established school and an athletic director who came from an established school. Coming from a school where money and fan interest are more prevalent to me is a disadvantage. What works in the SEC and ACC probably doesn't work in the CUSA. It takes more creative thinking, which obviously we don't have. As other posters have said, sometimes its a matter of effort. I don't know how to solve it. I am working with the BRAA board this term and I am going to do my best to help, and I would welcome suggestions to pass along. I am just so tired of how everyone throws their hands up and says I'm done with the program or I'm not giving until anything changes. I understand most of you have careers and family lives and don't have the time and energy to put into the program to make it better, but you still shouldn't give up on it, because we are the only ones who are going to make it better. The people that take time to post on the message board, donate money, and attend games are the ones that build the program. We need more BRAA members, we need more season tickets sold, and we need to build this program before its too late to build it. One day the gap will be so wide that there will never be another Western Michigan or Boise State. We need to cross that line before the gap becomes to wide and we will be left on the other side with the Florida Internationals of the world. Great work on this Austin.
I appreciate your willingness to work with the BRAA and try to improve our university. I still give but in no way should the folks that quit be shamed. There are many valid reasons why people drop support. You get to a point where enough is enough. I'm close to that.

I guess you either support your university for the fact that it's your university and you realize that the mission of the school is so much more than the athletic program or you don't.

I can see sidewalk alumni (do we have any of those) who support because of the athletic program dropping all support because of the product on the field, or court, or course, or whatever. I just can't see actual alumni failing to support their school. Should the athletic program become so horrid (or even dropped completely) that I can't support it any longer then those donations will be transferred to another cause. It's my school.

I guess you either support your university for the fact that it's your university and you realize that the mission of the school is so much more than the athletic program or you don't.

I can see sidewalk alumni (do we have any of those) who support because of the athletic program dropping all support because of the product on the field, or court, or course, or whatever. I just can't see actual alumni failing to support their school. Should the athletic program become so horrid (or even dropped completely) that I can't support it any longer then those donations will be transferred to another cause. It's my school.
We have a huge percentage of alumni that don't begin to support MT. I don't understand it either. Speaking for myself my donations will continue for academics but may not for athletics.

Not shamed it's your business what you do with your time and money. But people have been VERY vocal about pulling support. Nothing wrong with being vocal about adding support.

Now that we have all this info I would like to see the amount of braa donation next to the posters name when they post. Let me know which incredibly long post to read and which to ignore.

On another subject: Just read part 4 of the series - I just can't see building a FB indoor facility W/0 an indoor track. Needed Murphy Ctr. upgrades can't be made until we have a different indoor track and we aren't Arkansas - we will never have a dedicated indoor track facility.

And for you DABLUERAIDERS: (BRAA True blue level - FB, AM & W's season tickets, minimum annual donation of $100 to The Foundation)

The worst thing for Stock and Massarro is the quick emergence of WKU and ODU. The average fan is seeing it done on the field by other programs. It gets worse.....Butch Davis of FIU and whats his name at FAU is sitting in the middle of a pile of in-state talent. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
On another subject: Just read part 4 of the series - I just can't see building a FB indoor facility W/0 an indoor track. Needed Murphy Ctr. upgrades can't be made until we have a different indoor track and we aren't Arkansas - we will never have a dedicated indoor track facility.

And for you DABLUERAIDERS: (BRAA True blue level - FB, AM & W's season tickets, minimum annual donation of $100 to The Foundation)
IMO, the indoor facility should include a track, but it's about the $$$. With so many MT fans and supporters dropping financial support of the program, it's creating a steeper climb for the athletic department

The worst thing for Stock and Massarro is the quick emergence of WKU and ODU. The average fan is seeing it done on the field by other programs. It gets worse.....Butch Davis of FIU and whats his name at FAU is sitting in the middle of a pile of in-state talent. Just a matter of time.
If Butch (FAU) and Lane (FIU) get their respective schools turned around, even for one year, they'll leave. Credit to the ADs at those two schools for getting serious about football

We need a real focus on BRAA development,

Reactions: AustinLewis
My thoughts exactly. The goal is to simply get more people to give. The donor giving their first donation is always the hardest to get in fundraising. My thoughts are to get more recent alumni and first time donors to give simply 50-100 to get them in the door. BRAA needs more members plain and simple. Just like season tickets our numbers are down in BRAA membership.

DABLUERAIDERS (My level is Blue Raider 5 years aka as long as I've been employed.)

Not that it is even relevant but my last BRAA giving level was Silver Raider.

Right now, just generating enough enthusiasm to sell 15,000 Football season tickets should be a priority.

With over 100k in alumni in the Middle Tennessee area a 15,000 target for season tickets should be achievable.

I know that when we first went D1 in football I had a visit from Roy Mewbourne in my office and there were a few events scheduled in the Brentwood area that we attended. I know that when the bowl game was in Dallas a few years ago no one reached out to me about attending. Marketing is a contact sport..

Reactions: C-Bow
I missed something dukewayne posted on McPhee about his spending his time reaching out to China. For many reasons (the accusations of sexual harassment and resulting mental problem and night in the Marion Co. jail, the announcement of "Pres Sidney McPhee and first lady Liz McPhee welcome you . . . " at every event - hear or see that at other schools?, along with he's just too interested in getting his picture taken at every opportunity) I'm obviously not a McPhee fan.

But as for promoting MT to the area: Can you imagine McPhee connecting to the audience at a mid-state civic (Rotary, Optimist, Lion, etc.) club? And IMHO the MT president (not to mention the AD, and various coaches out of season) should be speaking somewhere an average of at least twice a week to promote MT. McPhee would have a hard time connecting to an audience in Nashville or Chattanooga, harder still in Lebanon or Manchester, and impossible to a group in Huntland or Hohenwald. MT has had many people in a position of influence who were "people persons" and could relate to the average citizen in the mid-state. McPhee is not one of them.

I missed something dukewayne posted on McPhee about his spending his time reaching out to China. For many reasons (the accusations of sexual harassment and resulting mental problem and night in the Marion Co. jail, the announcement of "Pres Sidney McPhee and first lady Liz McPhee welcome you . . . " at every event - hear or see that at other schools?, along with he's just too interested in getting his picture taken at every opportunity) I'm obviously not a McPhee fan.

But as for promoting MT to the area: Can you imagine McPhee connecting to the audience at a mid-state civic (Rotary, Optimist, Lion, etc.) club? And IMHO the MT president (not to mention the AD, and various coaches out of season) should be speaking somewhere an average of at least twice a week to promote MT. McPhee would have a hard time connecting to an audience in Nashville or Chattanooga, harder still in Lebanon or Manchester, and impossible to a group in Huntland or Hohenwald. MT has had many people in a position of influence who were "people persons" and could relate to the average citizen in the mid-state. McPhee is not one of them.

McPhee has a sweet gig. I was thinking he might retire at some point, but why would he.

WVU and Marshall both have a "Coaches Caravan". The coaches of all the major sports (FB, BB, MBB, WBB) travel to cities all over the state and have luncheons and speakings and just interact with fans. It's a huge deal when it comes to my town of Princeton. Easily 400-500 plus there for WVU and 200-300 for Marshall. Do that all over the state and you've got all kinds of money pouring in.

With McPhee, it amazes me how he is. I look at Gee at WVU. He shows up as a driver on the student tram busses a few times a year. Runs ticket windows at games. You'd never see McPhee doing stuff like that.

Or even Stock doing a caravan.

So here's my deal. Long time lurker first time poster. Been a member of the boards since 2007 as you can see. Graduated in 05 and was a sigep. Been closely following the program , donating and coming back to town for a game a year since I graduated. I love the school and team no matter what, it's where I graduated from and I owe the university for where I am today.

I understand the apathy and lack of confidence in the program. But this is not near as bad as it was at the tail end of the Andy mac days. That was really bad. We nicknamed the stadium the whipping post cause that's where we went every Saturday to get whipped.

Seems we all know the ansewer to the issues at hand but few act. So I'm going to do what I can. Be a positive contributor to one of three ways people can follow MT sports. (This site, brz, and the university site are the others)

Recruits, future students, and fellow fans/alumni have no outlet now that the local paper is done with MT and they read these boards. My goal is to curb the negativity (group think) and focus on what is going well in order to boost ticket sales and braa contributions.

We have a tremendous opportunity to succeed this year and we must capitalize on it. Wallowing in self pity benefits no one. Be a part of the solution and join/up your braa contribution today!

Blue champion level, I travel with the team. Not really : )

Is it really that much worse than the Andy Mac days? Neither coach has been able to win a championship, which is all that matters. It might be a cheesy comedic saying from a comedy movie, but the saying couldn't be more true. "If you ain't first, your last".

At least McCollum went 3-0 against Vanderbilt.

This is the year Wiley! Get your head out of the past and into the future bro. Going to be something special so get ready for some fireworks! Imagine the best offense Oregon has ever had and multiply that by 1,000. Total mind blow.

Stockstill to James!!!!!!!

Is it really that much worse than the Andy Mac days? Neither coach has been able to win a championship, which is all that matters. It might be a cheesy comedic saying from a comedy movie, but the saying couldn't be more true. "If you ain't first, your last".

At least McCollum went 3-0 against Vanderbilt.
It was simple with Andy - when he lost Fedora the team stopped winning.

Rick, OTOH, has won with different coaches and had his best success with Franklin/Diaz.

That said, the team is positioned to have the same, or better, success with Franklin/Shafer.

I'm really looking forward to this season as the offense will likely be the best we have seen to date at MT and the defense should be improved.

Will the defense be as good as 2010 or will it be better? That is my only question.

We will be watching / listening to that game from our place in Orange Beach. However we are committed to travel to the Minnesota game and one more in the 'Boro.. We should know enough about this team by then. Maybe this is the year.. Please beat Vandy, Syracuse, and the rest of them!!

I say it every year.. It would be interesting to see if anyone from BRAA reaches out to us..

Last edited:
Well the list of facilities needs generally makes sense, but where will the dough come from? It would be nice to think that there are some big time donors getting ready to be extremely generous towards MT. At this point, I'm afraid that is wishful thinking.

On this giving or not giving to the university, I'm not going to pretend I have an all inclusive answer for these problems. At this point, my immediate short term plans are to try to throw some of my spare money behind basketball. Kermit and the team more than deserve it. For many many years I sat frustrated in The Murphy Center and opponents facilities frustrated and dreaming that one day MT would achieve great success as MT had potential for. These last 5 or so years, Kermit has realized those dreams of great success for MT basketball. I am really glad about that, and the basketball program deserves the support. Kermit is staying loyal to MT when there is undoubtedly a ton of schools all across the country who would love to have Kermit right about now. This does not preclude me from possibly throwing a few dollars the way of the athletic dept, i.e. facilities, in the near future. Until Massaro gets things in better order regarding fundraising, I may very well adjust my plans. Right now, spending for some extra season tickets for the basketball season seems like a good direct and efficient manner of supporting and giving to the basketball program where frankly Kermit deserves the support of a boost in the sales of season tickets.

In my opinion, attendance has improved these last few years for basketball compared to most any season from 7 years ago to 20 years ago. The sad situation for MT is that attendance is still a little down relative to the level of success of the basketball team. Conf champs, back to back NCAA tourney wins, overall great seasons, a national Top 25 ranking usually results in those type of programs packing their arenas from most home games. I really hope Kermit and the teams sees a really strong boost in attendance this season. If that attendance comes along with Kermit's dedication to MT, there could be even more incredibly special seasons ahead with higher levels of success. I really hope fans embrace this incredible opportunity.

A further clarification on Pres McPhee sharing the blame for lack of growth and development of support from the Nashville area.

I'm not suggesting he is totally failing in all areas. Some of the MT depts and colleges seem to be doing a pretty good job of outreach, growth, and development outside of Murfreesboro. In most of those cases, McPhee seems to be there in support of those deans and depts. Maybe it's that he likes the photo opportunities. I don't pretend to know him that well.

I understand a lot of time and effort had to go into the capital bldg projects on campus from the state bldg funds. It's good McPhee has overseen a lot of that progress. I suspect some of that 100 yr anniv for the university helped support those efforts instead of expanding the endowment.

Regarding China, McPhee seemed to spend a couple of summers of travelling to China and hosting reps from China for some sort of program coordination and possible exchange of students. I'm not sure if all of that time and effort was really for the benefit of MT or more for the benefit of China's agenda in reaching into America's academic institutions just to name one.

Beyond the much discussed wishing McPhee would take charge on the univ name change and branding problems, it doesn't seem like McPhee is making much headway in connecting and developing the huge asset of MT alums in the region. This at a time when Nashville is one of the hottest cities on the rise in America. I'm just not seeing much of MT reaching into that huge resource and opportunity. An example that comes to mind is when Pres Walker would have outreach/fundraisers in Nashville. It seemed that Pres Walker was pooling the resources of the univ to pull in as many people and high profile people as possible for what ended up being an event in Nashville where MT raised good funds and MT ended up getting a bunch of positive media coverage. I just don't hear of or see Pres McPhee making those sort of outreach social events connecting with the alum of Nashville. MT desperately needs to connect with Nashville and the massive amount of alumni in the Nashville area.

Do we even have alumni chapters for game viewing parties?

I went on the MT alumni page or BRAA page - no mention of chapters anywhere. I did find a page for 2013 mentioning football viewing parties in Memphis, M'boro & Atlanta. So out of date.

My other school's Atlanta area association is so much more active. Weekly viewing events for football/basketball, young alumni events, golden alumni events, freshman send-off party, networking events, coaches/AD annual tour. Each meeting offers a raffle for the athletic association, a donation time, a membership signup drive. Golf tourney sponsoring an Atlanta scholarship. They make a little money each event.

I was invited to a few events for MT's college of Basic and Applied Science since I've been in Atlanta. That's about it. If not for Dean Fischer, I would not have heard from MT.

You want see involvement or the lack thereof, you can find it with Alumni relations. I see 3 events posted for locals.

A high school friend and classmate of mine is a Past President of the MTSU National Alumni Association. She's had zero involvement with the University since 2001. Let that sink in for a minute.

A further clarification on Pres McPhee sharing the blame for lack of growth and development of support from the Nashville area.

I'm not suggesting he is totally failing in all areas. Some of the MT depts and colleges seem to be doing a pretty good job of outreach, growth, and development outside of Murfreesboro. In most of those cases, McPhee seems to be there in support of those deans and depts. Maybe it's that he likes the photo opportunities. I don't pretend to know him that well.

I understand a lot of time and effort had to go into the capital bldg projects on campus from the state bldg funds. It's good McPhee has overseen a lot of that progress. I suspect some of that 100 yr anniv for the university helped support those efforts instead of expanding the endowment.

Regarding China, McPhee seemed to spend a couple of summers of travelling to China and hosting reps from China for some sort of program coordination and possible exchange of students. I'm not sure if all of that time and effort was really for the benefit of MT or more for the benefit of China's agenda in reaching into America's academic institutions just to name one.

Beyond the much discussed wishing McPhee would take charge on the univ name change and branding problems, it doesn't seem like McPhee is making much headway in connecting and developing the huge asset of MT alums in the region. This at a time when Nashville is one of the hottest cities on the rise in America. I'm just not seeing much of MT reaching into that huge resource and opportunity. An example that comes to mind is when Pres Walker would have outreach/fundraisers in Nashville. It seemed that Pres Walker was pooling the resources of the univ to pull in as many people and high profile people as possible for what ended up being an event in Nashville where MT raised good funds and MT ended up getting a bunch of positive media coverage. I just don't hear of or see Pres McPhee making those sort of outreach social events connecting with the alum of Nashville. MT desperately needs to connect with Nashville and the massive amount of alumni in the Nashville area.

Yes....completely agree with this. MT does not get the fanbase engaged. We are treated like mushrooms. Data about our sports programs is scarce. They refuse to treat our fanbase like family and tell us what is really going on with our programs. Heck we didn't even have a spring game this year.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Yes....completely agree with this. MT does not get the fanbase engaged. We are treated like mushrooms. Data about our sports programs is scarce. They refuse to treat our fanbase like family and tell us what is really going on with our programs. Heck we didn't even have a spring game this year.

OK, I got sucked in a bit reading some of these.

Holy Crap, it's like MTsumner92 read my mind. That is exactly how I feel. I don't feel included in MT athletics anymore and I'm not engaged by them nor do they inform me. Sure, they want my season ticket money but they don't offer any loyalty engagement nor do they make it fun for me anymore. The athletic dept. treats us like they are superior to us rather than rallying with us. I have seen this up close and personal.

Brad Smith was mentioned on here before and I'll tell you what, he was the best thing they had here. He was true blue and worked his butt off. He was all about fan engagement. He's kicking butt where he's at now and they believe in him and his abilities. I doubt he would ever come back unless they made him the AD which would probably be pretty great for us if they did but the higher ups aren't that smart.

I'll also say this about WKU, they have a better game environment and they engage with the fans up there. They don't sell that much more than us but they made that little stadium a real fun place to watch a game. Their stadium design is way cooler than ours too. They have a Sonic inside the stadium. They are surpassing us because they focused on the fans first and foremost. MT simply doesn't.

I never understood for the life of me why they wouldn't come on this board and give the die hard true blue fans special access to stuff going on in the program or hold events just for them. Sheesh, you have a core of people who love you and you do nothing for them. So stupid. Stuff like that would grow interest like you wouldn't believe. A twitter post is not the same and is lazy as hell. The BRAA should be private messaging everyone on this board inviting them to special events - pregame and other wise. If you are on the message boards posting and talking MT period, you should be getting discounts and special access. This would generate new posters and a cool synergy they haven't had. Also, have a weekly freaking insider podcast on here with access to BRAA people, AD reps, coaches and such. The Athletic dept. should be reaching out to this board and pledging that. It should be a total loyalty partnership sparked by the school.

Also, as MTSumner92 said.... Have a real damn spring game and also record the damn thing and post it up on youtube and then send that out to people after the game is over. Sheesh. Let your head coach know that's part of the gig. Fans want it and you have to give it to them. That right there is the pretentious BS that's stopping the connection from happening. UT had one. UGA had one. Even Vandy had one. Play the damn game and make it a real one. Sheesh.

One more thing I promise. :) Part of this loyalty program would include going back to every person who ever bought season tix in the last 15 years and giving them a special discount or package deal thanking them for being a part of the Blue Raiders. Engage these great folks and get them back. Outreach and offer loyalty. If you bought multiple season tix, or for multiple seasons in a row, you get more stuff but if you ever bought, you are important too.

Get creative and sweeten the pot.

Last edited:
Love the optimism for the upcoming season. I hope we have a breakout year.
I'm sorry guys but I simply cannot get excited. I still supported Stock in here after the 2011disaster but listening to him the last couple of years sounds almost word for word like the last four years of Tommy West at Memphis. That contract is going to be the undoing of CM if this season is not exceptional. Average and bowl eligible will not stimulate new money giving. Fact.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT