ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Pulling Back the Curtain -- Discussion Thread

C-Bow

Hall of Famer
Staff
Dec 5, 2005
www.gomiddle.com
Figured I'd start a separate thread to shift the discussion over to an original topic line.

As you guys know, Austin has been working on the "Pulling Back the Curtain" series for some time. Today, we launched Part 3 of the series, in which Austin unveils the answers to ongoing questions that have been a hot topic for as long as I can reminder:

How many season tickets does MT sell?
How much revenue is derived from said sales?
What do BRAA membership levels/donation amounts look like?

So, if you haven't already, give the piece a read! Next up, we'll be diving into Facilities - specifically how much has been spent on renovations and whatnot in recent years, and plans for future renovations and new projects.

Pulling Back the Curtain: Part 3
Pulling Back the Curtain: Part 2
Pulling Back the Curtain: Part 1

Also, here's the actual document provided to us that details those figures I talked about above.
pfzu84rtyh1u52jrizrp

Reactions: SpaceRaider
As one who holds season tickets in all four sports, I use my tickets, and it really is a good value. Don't always like the results, but I like to follow the Blue Raiders in each of those sports through their four or two years as a Blue Raider and how they develop or not.

As huge a critic as I was of Randy Weil, and of andy mccollum, I never considered giving up my season tickets, and for all of their tenures I was driving 90 miles to use my tickets.

I thought the most interesting takeaway from this section of the series was around the student fees.

Massaro talked at length about plans to submit a request to increase these fees. The administration proposed such an increase last year to the TBR but the request was denied. With the new Board of Trustees (BOT) in place, he sounded very confident that this can get done. By his estimation, the increase would net approximately $350K worth of revenue, per year, directly to the athletic department. In the grand scheme of things, that's some serious coin that could help get certain projects off the ground.

Also interesting that, following MT's most impressive seasons on the gridiron and the hardwood, season ticket sales either dropped or barely rose.

That was crazy to me.

Have a hard time building on success either on the field, in the stands, or in the donation coffers.

All the information has been held close to the vest...the latest article from GoMiddle today shows the info from the last 10 years, its sobering to say the least.

4 big impacts on the budget - No one saw all four of these happening at the same time
- Loss of student fees; we are down 3K in total enrollment
- Loss of TV revenue
- Declining season tix sales in FB and mens BB
- Economic downturn and lack of growth over the last 9 years

I think we all knew this but its good to see the actual numbers. Now we have transparency and a better understanding.

I thought the most interesting takeaway from this section of the series was around the student fees.

Massaro talked at length about plans to submit a request to increase these fees. The administration proposed such an increase last year to the TBR but the request was denied. With the new Board of Trustees (BOT) in place, he sounded very confident that this can get done. By his estimation, the increase would net approximately $350K worth of revenue, per year, directly to the athletic department. In the grand scheme of things, that's some serious coin that could help get certain projects off the ground.
The side benefit of the increased student fee is the ability to bond against it

Reactions: SpaceRaider
While I appreciate the effort that went into this, I'm not sure we needed a 3-part series to tell us that we're barely scraping by.

All I know is that this is the time of year that I usually get crazy hyped for college football - Blue Raider football in particular. But i'm completely dead inside about it. I can generate no excitement whatsoever for what appears to be another in a long line of Stockstill specials - barely above .500 with a bowl blowout and losses in the big games, and most galling, a team that displays a noticeable lack of effort and passion more often that it should.

If I can't get excited, an alum, who's more than a casual fan, who would love nothing more than to jump on a bandwagon - how can we blame anyone else for finding other things to do with a beautiful fall Saturday.

Massaro has never learned the most important lesson of all in post-2000 college football - treading water is the exact same as losing.

While I appreciate the effort that went into this, I'm not sure we needed a 3-part series to tell us that we're barely scraping by......

No, but I would rather see the facts than somebody saying something on a message board or other social media but not providing the details. Not sure five or six parts are enough to detail all the information that was provided under the FOIA or the several hours spent with Massaro.

As I understand it, Part 4 is on line Wednesday morning....

I'm super stoked over this year simply for the fact of a new DC. We have the offensive power. Hopefully the D can step up. You would think others would be excited as well and that would equate to sales.

One thing I noticed CM pointed to was single game sales. If we begin to have a good season, the promotions should capitalize on that.

I'm amazed though at the low number of both season tickets as well as BRAA giving. I live 6 hours away and see the football team at least once a year somewhere. As big as our alumni base it's, it's sad.

I wonder as well with the zip code he mentioned, how they will focus on that area and can that be used elsewhere as well.

While I appreciate the effort that went into this, I'm not sure we needed a 3-part series to tell us that we're barely scraping by.

All I know is that this is the time of year that I usually get crazy hyped for college football - Blue Raider football in particular. But i'm completely dead inside about it. I can generate no excitement whatsoever for what appears to be another in a long line of Stockstill specials - barely above .500 with a bowl blowout and losses in the big games, and most galling, a team that displays a noticeable lack of effort and passion more often that it should.

If I can't get excited, an alum, who's more than a casual fan, who would love nothing more than to jump on a bandwagon - how can we blame anyone else for finding other things to do with a beautiful fall Saturday.

Massaro has never learned the most important lesson of all in post-2000 college football - treading water is the exact same as losing.
Appreciate the input. I spent some time brainstorming the best way to disseminate the information from the Massaro meeting. One article would be too long and the material didn't easily divide into a two part series.

And yes, some of what the FOIA was evident to the human eye (attendance at games, apathy on the message boards), but we wanted to see if the statistics supported our assumptions. They did.

Make no mistake - the athletic department reads the message boards. They see the frustration. There's a desire for more. There's a desire for greatness. Can they get there? Time will tell.

No, but I would rather see the facts than somebody saying something on a message board or other social media but not providing the details. Not sure five or six parts are enough to detail all the information that was provided under the FOIA or the several hours spent with Massaro.

As I understand it, Part 4 is on line Wednesday morning....

My comment came off snotty, but I didn't mean it that way.

We all know that there's going to be no demand of on-field excellence, so that route to prosperity is effectively blocked. It will be interesting to see plans for moving forward when you can only offer a mediocre product.

In related news, I went to GBR and clicked donate to BRAA, and it sent me to ticketmaster again. I can't give any money to anyone who's going to split it with ticketmaster. I checked a few of our competitors - including most of the rest of CUSA and a few SBC peers. Only WKU oddly enough uses ticketmaster. It doesn't exactly give you to warm fuzzies. Even stranger, our very own alumni website has an easier, more friendly set up to give $$$'s. I feel like there's a giant disconnect between the AD and the fans.

Believe I sympathize and am as frustrated as any fan can possibly be. The last time MT FB won a conference championship outright, uncontested, no freaking co- attached to the front of it was in the early 90s, in 1aa, in the Ohio Valley Conference, in the Boots Donnelly era. It is way past time for football to not just compete, but win, championships, bowl games.

" We all know that there's going to be no demand of on-field excellence, so that route to prosperity is effectively blocked. It will be interesting to see plans for moving forward when you can only offer a mediocre product."

Great statement RD. I'll be watching Coach Stockstill this season, especially in our early "money" games. With the changes made in regards to staff, are there any lessons learned from 2016? Has his approach to delivering an outright championship changed or evolved? The Spurriers, Brohms, Kiffins and other coaches that played the quarterback position seem to have more of a "gambler" style, if you will. An air of confidence that their players feed on. Stock imho coaches in a very cautious manner, like his job depends on being bowl eligible. After 10 + years of watching him coach MT football I'm beginning to wonder if he can have a break-out season. Nothing more demoralizing to any fan base is wasted talent and opportunities year in year out.

Interesting article.

So we have not been able to replace Brad Smith. IIRC, he is an assistant AD for Morehead State now. Surely, we can make an offer he can't refuse to return to M'boro from Morehead. How would you like to be the person in the athletic office who replace him a few years ago?

I'm personally against raising student fees. To me, that's a weak way out. Ticket sales have dropped, donations have dropped. That should tell CM something is wrong with the program. Instead of asking, why is their apathy with our fball program, he seems to just say, we need the money so take it from students (a lot of which don't care about football). From what you wrote, it is treating the symptom, not the problem.

I hope part 5 got into questions, like what is CM's expection for a coach to keep their job? Is it championships? high APR? just dont have losing records? I would be very curious if CM would answer these questions. Because the expectation sure doesn't seem to be championships.

Reactions: MTsumner92
" We all know that there's going to be no demand of on-field excellence, so that route to prosperity is effectively blocked. It will be interesting to see plans for moving forward when you can only offer a mediocre product."

Great statement RD. I'll be watching Coach Stockstill this season, especially in our early "money" games. With the changes made in regards to staff, are there any lessons learned from 2016? Has his approach to delivering an outright championship changed or evolved? The Spurriers, Brohms, Kiffins and other coaches that played the quarterback position seem to have more of a "gambler" style, if you will. An air of confidence that their players feed on. Stock imho coaches in a very cautious manner, like his job depends on being bowl eligible. After 10 + years of watching him coach MT football I'm beginning to wonder if he can have a break-out season. Nothing more demoralizing to any fan base is wasted talent and opportunities year in year out.
From the outside looking in, I'd agree that Stock doesn't seem to have the "riverboat gambler" confidence and I'd attribute most of the offensive aggressive/gambling to Coach TF's influence on Stock.

Reactions: VARaider84
When I graduated from Belmont with my masters in 2013, I had the option as a Young Alumni to purchase basketball season tickets for $20.13 for a year or two after I graduated. Why don't we do something similar? I seriously doubt this would cannibalize existing ticket sales and would increase the likelihood that we would begin to grow attendance over time.

When I graduated from Belmont with my masters in 2013, I had the option as a Young Alumni to purchase basketball season tickets for $20.13 for a year or two after I graduated. Why don't we do something similar? I seriously doubt this would cannibalize existing ticket sales and would increase the likelihood that we would begin to grow attendance over time.

Not sure about basketball, but I know a deal was ran recently on the football side for young alumni.

took me awhile to find the tweet

Regarding the season tickets sales...falling from the 6K to 4.8K per year - we have graduated probably 85-90,000 kids since we moved up to big boy FB - we are not getting these folks to become apart of the program.

For 2017-2018 - what appeal can be made to the graduates to support MT athletics beyond a special ticket deal? Do we actually reach out and call and email them to set up an appointment - talk voice to voice? Surely there are 3-400 per year we can connect to to grow our base.

How many of those students live off campus, hell even live at home, come to class and then go back home and never interact with fellow students, never take advantage of the free entertainment that the sports provide to the students, never buy anything bit of apparel that identifies they attend MT, how many graduate and step foot on campus again?

Reactions: T2Tool
There are 99530 MTSU alumni located in the state of TN.

http://www.mtalumni.com/s/1092/index.aspx?sid=1092&gid=1&pgid=348

What's the issue? Why do people not feel as connected to the university and the sports programs? That's the fundamental question that needs to be asked. Perhaps if we go 4-0 to start the season that may create the excitement we need. This team is loaded and could do it

I can say from my perspective, there have been too many disappointments with the product for too long.

There are too many times that I've gotten hyped up about some big game, some season that started out with promise, or a bowl game opportunity to cap off a season, etc, etc - only to leave crushed. Too many times this team is dead in the water in September, and all the November victories that no one is paying attention to cannot save it.

This isn't just ups and downs. People love when it's going good. People can deal with bad times because you can sell hope. You can't sell sustained mediocrity. This is a product that is producing at the absolutely bare minimum acceptable level.

And I find it particularly condescending that the MT AD is genuinely baffled that people aren't buying it - all the "were bowl eligible for the umpteenth time, and you'll like it". It's a steaming pile of shite, and I find it personally insulting.

Being an MT Fan, the dominant emotion is frustration. Frustration isn't fun. It's hard to justify spending limited entertainment dollars on something that isn't fun and is just going to leave you frustrated.

Football is the rising tide that floats all boats. I'm not into basketball. I love baseball, but there's not been much to cheer about there either. Football is the front door to the house. Football is what gets people onto campus in the fall, gets them to join the BRAA, and gets them interested through the spring. There's no such thing as a homecoming basketball game.

I was down on this program after Hawaii. That was the straw that broke it for me. The lack of effort was disgusting. And even worse, we all saw it coming.

I'd stayed away for month. I barely paid attention to recruiting. Didn't pay much attention to Spring ball. I'd hoped the bad feelings would fade, but they haven't. And this is me, I consider myself a die hard, I've posted here forever, I've given money and time. And if this is the way I feel, what chance do we have with Joe Regular Fan?

Mark this down, copy it, do whatever - we're going 7-6. We're going to lose to our rivals, we're going to lose all the big games, we'll win just enough against the dregs to claim the coveted "bowl eligibility" crown, and then we're going to be blown out in the bowl game. Would anyone bet against this? So Massaro, tell me why I should buy another ticket to a movie I already know the ending to?

TV has been the biggest attendance killer. I like watching games on TV much more than watching in person but I go to games because I'm a long time season ticket holder and only care about the Raiders.

That said, I know folks who would much rather surf multiple games on TV than attend one game in person.

I wished I still cared about all of this. I've given up trying to figure out the Athletic Dept., bad attendance or our AD's puzzling decisions. I have no solutions.

I just go to the games when I can, watch and have a good time. If they go broke, it's on them. Massaro makes $210,715 with an additional max bonus of 135k to figure this stuff out. If he and his staff can't produce, then clip him and get someone else in there. I can tell you this, someone who makes over 300k a year ain't listening to anyone on this board. The BRAA is pretty useless too IMO. They've done nothing to hype the game experience either. No value for me.

So I stopped barking about it. I'm not even buying season tix this year. I'll buy single game tix and sit where I want. I plan on going to the VU, BG, Marshall and ODU games this year with the road trip to WKU. I couldn't care less about UTEP or FIU.

However, I think the team will be a very good team this year. We have a lot of talent and I really like the Shafer and the changes he has already made. I think we need to focus on possession time and stop committing so many turnovers on offense. Had we done that last year, we would have won 11-12 games.

I can say from my perspective, there have been too many disappointments with the product for too long.

There are too many times that I've gotten hyped up about some big game, some season that started out with promise, or a bowl game opportunity to cap off a season, etc, etc - only to leave crushed. Too many times this team is dead in the water in September, and all the November victories that no one is paying attention to cannot save it.

This isn't just ups and downs. People love when it's going good. People can deal with bad times because you can sell hope. You can't sell sustained mediocrity. This is a product that is producing at the absolutely bare minimum acceptable level.

And I find it particularly condescending that the MT AD is genuinely baffled that people aren't buying it - all the "were bowl eligible for the umpteenth time, and you'll like it". It's a steaming pile of shite, and I find it personally insulting.

Being an MT Fan, the dominant emotion is frustration. Frustration isn't fun. It's hard to justify spending limited entertainment dollars on something that isn't fun and is just going to leave you frustrated.

Football is the rising tide that floats all boats. I'm not into basketball. I love baseball, but there's not been much to cheer about there either. Football is the front door to the house. Football is what gets people onto campus in the fall, gets them to join the BRAA, and gets them interested through the spring. There's no such thing as a homecoming basketball game.

I was down on this program after Hawaii. That was the straw that broke it for me. The lack of effort was disgusting. And even worse, we all saw it coming.

I'd stayed away for month. I barely paid attention to recruiting. Didn't pay much attention to Spring ball. I'd hoped the bad feelings would fade, but they haven't. And this is me, I consider myself a die hard, I've posted here forever, I've given money and time. And if this is the way I feel, what chance do we have with Joe Regular Fan?

Mark this down, copy it, do whatever - we're going 7-6. We're going to lose to our rivals, we're going to lose all the big games, we'll win just enough against the dregs to claim the coveted "bowl eligibility" crown, and then we're going to be blown out in the bowl game. Would anyone bet against this? So Massaro, tell me why I should buy another ticket to a movie I already know the ending to?

I feel your frustration all around. We come into town for homecoming every year.. I don't think that will happen this year as I have no interest in watching FIU. However, we will travel to Minnesota and most probably pick another game of interest in the 'boro.

All I can say is that between the AD and the BRAA they should be able to figure this deal out. With almost 100k graduates in the area if you put a great product on the board they will come. It just hasn't been that great of a product. The Hawaii game ruined my Christmas Eve..

There are 99530 MTSU alumni located in the state of TN.

http://www.mtalumni.com/s/1092/index.aspx?sid=1092&gid=1&pgid=348

What's the issue? Why do people not feel as connected to the university and the sports programs? That's the fundamental question that needs to be asked. Perhaps if we go 4-0 to start the season that may create the excitement we need. This team is loaded and could do it

Going 4-0 this year would impact the attendence for THIS year...what I am talking about is building a foundation of fans, a core group that give back to MT and support our athletic teams.

Let me give you an example. I work for a SW company, my boss'es brother is the GM of the Philadelphia 76'ers (Scott O'Neil); although the team has been pitiful, the fan base is growing and their revenues are growing. I know this is apples and oranges to MT, but I don't see a detailed approach to build our brand, our fans, etc. Like I said earlier, this doesn't have to cost a lot of money, it literally is learning who your target market is and making a personal appeal over and over and over. I have use the term "Guerrilla" marketing on this board for years - its what a start up business does, we need to do the same.

Personal Story, back in the early D1 days (2002ish), I was approached by Boots and one of his assistant AD's and shared this with them, they wanted to talk to me about joining the team and possible help raise money for the AD. I told them it could be done and shared some concepts with them. They struggled understanding what would be required because we were an established AD in a University that had been around for years. What I am talking about doing is hard work, its constant follow up, its one on one, its focused, its not sexy. They wanted to cast a big net - well, guess what we are no where since then. We are not growing liked we hoped....

I think RaiderDoug and I must be related. We have the exact same mindset. To me, mens basketball is the only thing that I have any pride about these days. This football team lost me 2-3 years ago. No longer a BRAA member and you can shame me all you want. Won't bother me in the least because I've had it.

Yep. I am hoping for a reversal this season but I have been burnt out since our 6-6 bowl eligible not going to a bowl debacle. That might have been our last Sun Belt year where Ark St throttled us in a Sun Belt "championship game". Stock really lost me when he mentioned that we were still "in the drivers seat" if we lost to WKU last season. He went into that game with that stupid mindset. I didn't watch the Hawaii bowl. Not worth my time.

I think RaiderDoug and I must be related. We have the exact same mindset. To me, mens basketball is the only thing that I have any pride about these days. This football team lost me 2-3 years ago. No longer a BRAA member and you can shame me all you want. Won't bother me in the least because I've had it.

Believe I sympathize and am as frustrated as any fan can possibly be. The last time MT FB won a conference championship outright, uncontested, no freaking co- attached to the front of it was in the early 90s, in 1aa, in the Ohio Valley Conference, in the Boots Donnelly era. It is way past time for football to not just compete, but win, championships, bowl games.

As usual Space, you state profoundly and succinctly one of the huge problems with MT football. College athletics being what college athletics is, it also translates to a problem for MT athletics. Specifically, football is the driving financial sport for most mid to large programs. Basketball obviously helps, but football has really been driving the train of major NCAA athletics for a long time.

The difficult problem is the program has not come along under coach stock. IMO, there has clearly been substantial patience by Massaro with the head coaches in the program. Kermit and coach stock are exhibit A and B. Fortunately, Kermit was able to find a way to break through to the next level of success after struggling to breakout of average to barely just above average outcomes for a handful of seasons. With Kermit, that patience has paid off in spades and loyalty for Massaro. Unfortunately, coach stock has not found a way to breakout to the next level of success. The years of average play are starting to rack up for coach stock, and it's taking it's toll on attendance and interest in MT football. It seems circumstances are heading towards a crossroads for coach stock, massaro, and the football program over the next 2-3 years. If coach stock isn't starting to breakthrough in the next year or two, it's difficult to see how coach stock will be able to breakthrough in the next 4 or 5 years.

In my opinion, this upcoming season will be incredibly telling. There are some good pieces in place on the offensive side with coach Franklin, Brent, and James just to name a few. Defensive performance has been abysmal despite having having a few quality standouts the last few years. Enter the new Def coord. This is where things will start to be revealing this season. Will a new def coord bring along the defense for MT to have good quality on both sides of the ball? If so, MT has a reasonable shot at punching through to a conf championship in the next two seasons. If not, things will only become more difficult. If coach stock can't get it done in the next two seasons, I don't know how MT can continue to justify moving forward with him at the helm.

It's been obvious just looking around here for a while that many are frustrated with mediocrity in football and lack of ease of giving in the modern convenient ease of digital transfer of funds. I too have found this frustrating, not just for myself but what it says about the athletic dept reaching out to the broader alum base.

At this point, I'm planning on just sinking extra money this year into extra men's basketball season tickets. Kermit has earned it and deserves it. I will be trying to give away those extra tickets to try to get more people out to bball games.

Another huge lesson I hope that has been learned is the unwisely structuring of contracts for HCs after one decent season. It's not even so much the big pay that most to all HCs make in a given season, it's how MT has structured the contracts to make it all but impossible to replace a HC for many years even if things have gone terribly wrong.

On this general subject, Pres McPhee shares in a lot of the responsibility or blame for the lack of outreach and involvement of the regions close to 100,000 alumni. I understand Pres McPhee is pretty good about making time for games and meeting the teams. That's good and all, but a large university has to be about so much more. It touches on things such as branding. It touches on things such as strategic thinking on a macro scale while not neglecting relationships at the micro level. To me, it seems Pres McPhee has been more interested and invested in reaching out and connecting to the communists in China than the large population in this prosperous region in which MT resides.

Well said and accurate. They lost me after the Marshall debacle. Nix should have been fired on the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT