ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Pulling Back the Curtain -- Discussion Thread

Speaking of facilities improvements. This one may not rank real high or be a big splash when it comes to facilities, but I'm really glad to see that MT is placing a priority on updating the football stadium lighting. MT has needed this for a long time. The quality of lighting has been poor. Just barely serviceable. Then throw in so many tv games in the age of HD, and the poor quality of lights in the stadium really stands out on modern HD video displays.

It's been some sort of ugly yellow tinged dingy lighting that is not that bright with poor shadowing. Getting some quality bright modern lights will help in the stadium and especially in HD television presentation across the country. It's one of those first impression things when football fans, prospective students, and recruits around the region and country tune in to a MT football game to get a feel for MT.

Anyone know if this video control room or center for the Murphy Center referenced in facilities improvements have anything to do with the somewhat obsolete media box from the 1970s sitting atop The Murphy Center?

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I've thought that it seems like mostly wasted space for years. For years, it has seemed like a natural place for MT to at least start some refurb upgrades to possibly start with at least a couple of luxury boxes for basketball games.

Reactions: Garrett1865
They don't engage on them though nor do they build loyalty with the posters here. Reading is one thing but being proactive is another. They have the tools to connect. They just don't do it.
In their defense, JT, most schools have social media policies and I think they are limited to Facebook and Twitter in an official capacity. No messageboards

Reactions: MT Glenn
They don't engage on them though nor do they build loyalty with the posters here. Reading is one thing but being proactive is another. They have the tools to connect. They just don't do it.

As I said.. Set something up when they are in Dallas next week. Heck I'll throw in more monies for BRAA. If they read the boards..

In fairness, is it wise to engage on a message board run by a media organization? Can you imagine FranklinRaider and Chris Massaro going back and forth on the boards about the state of the athletic department?

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Along the same lines, I've got one more article in the "Pulling Back the Curtain/It's Time for more" series. My hope was to have it ready this morning. It's not. I hope to have ready by Monday.

I hope to write an article or two detailing what MT has to do to accomplish the facility master plan and increase attendance / BRAA donations.

.....If they read the boards..

If they read the boards.....I literally just received an email AND call from Georgia Tech about their football tickets because I bought tickets to ourWNIT game through their ticket office and left some box checked about wanting future ticket deals. Talked for 5 minutes. When I told him I was not a GT fan, he mention deals to see their "BIG" games or if we just want to see a cheap game, their opener is "value" priced for $12.

The cheapest single game ticket MT has posted on our website is $18.

In fairness, is it wise to engage on a message board run by a media organization? Can you imagine FranklinRaider and Chris Massaro going back and forth on the boards about the state of the athletic department?

I agree with you - ADs cannot directly respond to us crazies on here. But they could take the concerns and address them through social media, news releases or action.

Reactions: AustinLewis
I agree with you - ADs cannot directly respond to us crazies on here. But they could take the concerns and address them through social media, news releases or action.
And that's exactly how it should be handled.

(Though I'd caution any AD to be extremely careful in their interaction with angry fans on social media)

Years ago North Texas' AD interacted via their message board. Don't know how it went but he did.

He wouldn't like my questions. AD's usually appoint Advisory board members who won't ask tough questions. Not saying Chris is of that same mindset. My biggest gripe with CM is the contract he handed to Stock and then the way he spun it in the media. It made me feel like he thought I was stupid.

My college roommate was on the Memphis Athletic Dept Board. He was CEO of the Memphis Division of a major food broker before he retired this year. A few years back, he started asking RC Johnson about specific line items, expenses and such. RC didn't invite him to re-up the next fiscal year. RC retired not long after that and his exit audit was sealed to save the University a lot of embarrassment.

If they read the boards.....I literally just received an email AND call from Georgia Tech about their football tickets because I bought tickets to ourWNIT game through their ticket office and left some box checked about wanting future ticket deals. Talked for 5 minutes. When I told him I was not a GT fan, he mention deals to see their "BIG" games or if we just want to see a cheap game, their opener is "value" priced for $12.

The cheapest single game ticket MT has posted on our website is $18.
LOL!!! I feel ya! I have gotten GaTech email solicitations for two years now since the Rolling Stones concert I attended at their stadium in ATL.

Along the same lines, I've got one more article in the "Pulling Back the Curtain/It's Time for more" series. My hope was to have it ready this morning. It's not. I hope to have ready by Monday.

I hope to write an article or two detailing what MT has to do to accomplish the facility master plan and increase attendance / BRAA donations.

WINNING! And WINNING BIG excites people to attend games and donate. Mediocrity just breeds more mediocrity and apathy.

Reactions: RaiderDoug
WINNING! And WINNING BIG excites people to attend games and donate. Mediocrity just breeds more mediocrity and apathy.
It's more than winning (or winning big). Season ticket sales only went up 40 season tickets after the 2009 season and men's basketball season tickets have actually decreased since 2014.

It's more than winning (or winning big). Season ticket sales only went up 40 season tickets after the 2009 season and men's basketball season tickets have actually decreased since 2014.

It looks to me like the basketball season ticket sales data that was presented stops with the 2015-16 season (assuming FY '16 is 7/1/15 - 6/30/16). If that is the case, we would need to see season ticket sales for this most recently completed 2016-17 season to get a feel for how they might be trending. I sure hope there was at least some bump in season ticket sales following the 2015-16 season.

It looks like we had a little boost in season ticket sales for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons (immediately following the NIT trip in 2012 and the NCAA trip in 2013), but it appears those gains were offset by decreases following the "rebuilding" seasons of 2013-14 and 2014-15.

Based on that pattern, I would imagine we got a boost for the 2016-17 season ticket sales and hopefully will get another one for the upcoming 2017-18 season ticket sales. The challenge now is to maintain and continue to grow on that new baseline (even when we have future seasons where we don't make the NCAA Tournament).

It looks to me like the basketball season ticket sales data that was presented stops with the 2015-16 season (assuming FY '16 is 7/1/15 - 6/30/16). If that is the case, we would need to see season ticket sales for this most recently completed 2016-17 season to get a feel for how they might be trending. I sure hope there was at least some bump in season ticket sales following the 2015-16 season.

It looks like we had a little boost in season ticket sales for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons (immediately following the NIT trip in 2012 and the NCAA trip in 2013), but it appears those gains were offset by decreases following the "rebuilding" seasons of 2013-14 and 2014-15.

Based on that pattern, I would imagine we got a boost for the 2016-17 season ticket sales and hopefully will get another one for the upcoming 2017-18 season ticket sales. The challenge now is to maintain and continue to grow on that new baseline (even when we have future seasons where we don't make the NCAA Tournament).

I'll have to check the budgets at the house regarding how the FY aligns with calendar year. If you are correct, end-of-season record and season ticket sales look like this (season ticket sales in parenthesis)
2011-2012 : 27–7 14–2 1st (East) NIT Quarterfinals (1,986)
2012–13 : 28–6 19–1 1st (East) NCAA First Four (2,284)
2013–14 : 24–9 13–3 T–1st (2,434)
2014–15 : 19–17 9–9 6th CIT First Round (2,351)
2015–16 Middle Tennessee 25–9 13–5 2nd NCAA Round of 32 (2,178)
2016–17 Middle Tennessee 31–5 17–1 1st NCAA Round of 32 (TBD)

Attendance increased after the NIT run and the First Four trip to Dayton, but declined following a 24 win season (with no tournament trip). It will be interesting to see how the Michigan State win "bumped" season ticket sales

*Edited to reflect the change from FB to MBB season ticket sales. H/T to Randall for noticing it

Last edited:
Got this in my e-mail today, so someone is trying

Attention Blue Raider Fans,

Single game tickets are now available for all 2017 Blue Raider home games, including the home opener against SEC opponent Vanderbilt!

With tickets starting at just $26 for this game, they will go fast. Don’t miss out on this great in-state rivalry game, as the Blue Raiders look to get their second win in a row against the SEC! Give me a call at 615-898-5198 to reserve your seats today.

Thanks, and go Blue Raiders!

Trevor Selby

Coordinator of Groups & Events

Blue Raider Athletics

MTSU Box 117

Murfreesboro, TN 37132

615-898-5198

I'll have to check the budgets at the house regarding how the FY aligns with calendar year. If you are correct, end-of-season record and season ticket sales look like this (season ticket sales in parenthesis)
2011-2012 : 27–7 14–2 1st (East) NIT Quarterfinals (5,342)
2012–13 : 28–6 19–1 1st (East) NCAA First Four (5,676)
2013–14 : 24–9 13–3 T–1st (5,025)
2014–15 : 19–17 9–9 6th CIT First Round (4,637)
2015–16 Middle Tennessee 25–9 13–5 2nd NCAA Round of 32 (4,453)
2016–17 Middle Tennessee 31–5 17–1 1st NCAA Round of 32 (TBD)

Despite winning 28 games and playing in NCAA first four, there was no "bump" in season ticket sales following the 2012-2013 MBB season. Season tickets also fell again after a 24 win 2013-2014 season. It'll be interesting to see if the Michigan State win two tournaments ago provided a bump in 2016-2017 season ticket sales.

I think you quoted football season ticket sales in those figures.

Got this in my e-mail today, so someone is trying

Attention Blue Raider Fans,

Single game tickets are now available for all 2017 Blue Raider home games, including the home opener against SEC opponent Vanderbilt!

With tickets starting at just $26 for this game, they will go fast. Don’t miss out on this great in-state rivalry game, as the Blue Raiders look to get their second win in a row against the SEC! Give me a call at 615-898-5198 to reserve your seats today.

Thanks, and go Blue Raiders!

Trevor Selby

Coordinator of Groups & Events

Blue Raider Athletics

MTSU Box 117

Murfreesboro, TN 37132

615-898-5198

We did it!

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
In their defense, JT, most schools have social media policies and I think they are limited to Facebook and Twitter in an official capacity. No messageboards
I'm not aware of the rules but I would imagine that they could reach out and find some way to connect to the die hards and build up loyalty with that group. There are loopholes and they could find them. They could do nothing at all because that's working for them.

And that's exactly how it should be handled.

(Though I'd caution any AD to be extremely careful in their interaction with angry fans on social media)

I never said go back and forth. Never said that at all. I said they could find out who the die hards are and invite them to special events and start a dialog to engage and build loyalty. I also said they should give the administrators special access and appear on the board's official podcasts and such. Sheesh. They should reach out to us and red carpet the access. It's only gonna help them. They don't connect with fans at all. Reach out to the 25 of us on here and build out. Get creative for goodness sakes. There game experience rivals a funeral home right now. How about reaching out and start a town hall setup with us and other die hards to help change the mindset.

But as I said, a dude making 400k per year couldn't give 2 farts about what we think even though most of us on here have been active consumers and promoters of their brand for the last 20 years or longer. Don't talk to your biggest supporters or listen to them or include them. You know, the Blue Raider way.

See y'all at the mausoleum.

I never said go back and forth. Never said that at all. I said they could find out who the die hards are and invite them to special events and start a dialog to engage and build loyalty. I also said they should give the administrators special access and appear on the board's official podcasts and such. Sheesh. They should reach out to us and red carpet the access. It's only gonna help them. They don't connect with fans at all. Reach out to the 25 of us on here and build out. Get creative for goodness sakes. There game experience rivals a funeral home right now. How about reaching out and start a town hall setup with us and other die hards to help change the mindset.

But as I said, a dude making 400k per year couldn't give 2 farts about what we think even though most of us on here have been active consumers and promoters of their brand for the last 20 years or longer. Don't talk to your biggest supporters or listen to them or include them. You know, the Blue Raider way.

Yeah, I can agree with most of your suggestions. It's basically using social media to build relationships with your most loyal consumers to make them vocal advocates for the product.

Reactions: blueraiderJT
Yeah, that's all I was saying. This is a great thread. I hope they read this.

I agree. All I will say is the responses by fans in this thread, as well as the articles are being read intensely and reaching people you would not expect a message board thread to attract and feedback is being received. Carry on.

Last edited:

So what your saying is that someone over in that department should go take a marketing class in the business school?

Reactions: blueraiderJT
How does an endowment fund drop $3MM in value since 2011 during this bull market run? Until somebody over there can prove to me that they know how to run a business, I ain't opening my checkbook again.

So yesterday I received some interesting information on the endowment foundation. While you're saying it's dropped $3 million, I'm being shown that during the period mentioned (2011-2016), the foundation’s assets actually GREW by more than $27 million, with the only down year in that period coming between 2015-2016 when the assets (like the US stock market) had a negative return that year.

So, maybe you'll consider opening that checkbook again?

So yesterday I received some interesting information on the endowment foundation. While you're saying it's dropped $3 million, I'm being shown that during the period mentioned (2011-2016), the foundation’s assets actually GREW by more than $27 million, with the only down year in that period coming between 2015-2016 when the assets (like the US stock market) had a negative return that year.

QFE

All I did was compare the Endowment value shown on Wiki (2011) vs. the Endowment value in the last annual report (6/30/17) prepared in the link I provided to SpaceRaider. I'll really dig through the numbers tomorrow when I have more time and prepare a list of questions for whomever your "Deep Throat" is.

Reactions: C-Bow
The athletic department definitely should have people on the staff giving cyber hugs on the message boards. 20 k to a grad student. You only have 4000 season ticket holders if you have a captive audience of 2-5 hundred of them why not go for it? #whatwouldputindo?

QFE is a three letter acronym which can have meanings in aviation, in software development, and in network usage. It can refer to. QFE, a Q code used by pilots and air traffic controllers that refers to atmospheric pressure and altimeter settings. Quick Fix Engineering, also known as "hotfix".

QFE is a three letter acronym which can have meanings in aviation, in software development, and in network usage. It can refer to. QFE, a Q code used by pilots and air traffic controllers that refers to atmospheric pressure and altimeter settings. Quick Fix Engineering, also known as "hotfix".

Being a memphis guy, you should always go to the urban dictionary first...

QFE

An acronym for Quoted for Emphasis, it's used to help drive a point home to someone who's fairly dimwitted. Also used when someone makes an exceedingly good point, and people want to make sure that it gets across. Usually seen used in internet forums.

First forum poster:
"Hitler was a bad, bad man."

Second forum poster:
"QFE."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT