ADVERTISEMENT

Stock’s contract, recent reports, and other considerations

Even if he loses the next two (which kills the required 6 CUSA wins) he’s still ours for pretty much until he reaches retirement age. Why? Because whoever the boosters are that signed on to the guaranteed buyout won’t be held accountable to pay him 7 figures to go away.
Which tells me we have the dumbest boosters on the planet.

Thanks for catching the clause. My focus was on other sections of contract!
This was the ammended portion of the contract when he fooled MT in to giving him an additional $2.4-2.7M in exchange for delaying a couple of hundred thousand dollars in raises for a few years.

So, the bottom line here is the fifth year (and thereby the last year he could have received automatic extension and automatic raises) was the 2018 season. Which he met three times in the five years. This was the most egregious element of the contract.

Far and away the most detrimental. And it's not like we haven't complained about it for years prior. So, why would the University refresh this portion without significantly raising the bar - particularly when there was no contractual obligation to maintain a clause that had already expired? This new contract or revised one or whatever you want to call it tells us everything we need to know - everything we already knew - about this administration. They don't care about winning. They don't care about having a successful program. They don't care about building a brand. In fact, it's not clear what they care about, because it damn sure is not the people who attend the games and the alumni. Because they have basically f**king stopped coming to games. And they don't care about that either it seems.

Last edited:
So does the recently signed contract have a cap on auto extensions? It goes to 2028, right? That is without any extensions, correct? Totally possible I missed that somewhere.

Sadly it is what it is at this point. I'm not mad at Stock. He has performed the requirements to keep his job that were laid out.

It's all on CM and McPhee. And it is what it is. I'll still speak my mind, but I myself am not going anywhere. I have too much blue in my veins to do that.

My hope is the new facilities allow Stock to achieve more. Only time will tell on that, and as the contract shows, we have plenty of that.
They said the same thing for Baseball and it has been a mess

Stock has a system already figured out. Counting Colorado St., TSU and Miami, he’s got three more CUSA patsies circled on the remaining schedule to treat his boss, coaching buddies (and their wives) to another free trip home to the Bahamas while 99.9% of the fanbase won’t bother to attend.

Maybe they’ll have a special trophy for competing if MT breaks the tie with Toledo for most appearances. 😂😂

Last edited:
So does the recently signed contract have a cap on auto extensions? It goes to 2028, right? That is without any extensions, correct? Totally possible I missed that somewhere.
Ive asked this question twice, and no one has answered. Either no one knows, or his auto extensions are in perpetuity (love Shark Tank haha) and no one wants to tell us. My guess is it’s the latter

Reactions: Hop45
Doesn't really matter what the contract says. It's 100% up to Stock when it ends.
Bingo. He has to either retire or it's death us do part. Bottom line. I said this on Twitter and Jeff Murphy and his buddies lambasted me over it. It's amazing how they don't see a problem. Jeff Murphy couldn't see open field on a 4th down vs. Memphis in 2010 either so I shouldn't be shocked.

Stock has a system already figured out. Counting Colorado St., TSU and Miami, he’s got three more CUSA patsies circled on the remaining schedule to treat his boss, coaching buddies (and their wives) to another free trip home to the Bahamas while 99.9% of the fanbase won’t bother to attend.

Maybe they’ll have a special trophy for competing if MT breaks the tie with Toledo for most appearances. 😂😂
He cools his own seat just by sitting in it. He could lose every game for the rest of the season and he's be fine. We are stuck with Stuckstill. No other way around it and it's never changing. That makes me want to never donate. How about you?

I bet he can even extend his contract in the bonus years the way 7 wood operates. So a 7 win season in 2029? add a year. Yikes.
If he goes 6-6 this year, I believe it extends to 29'. If it is indeed part of the contract that was existing, this is a fact. Again, no one has stated otherwise. It makes all of this even more shady to me. No other school has done this. Ever. Who in their right mind on the admin side signs this? #tildeathusdopart

I’m guessing, it protects all the 3 stooges for the rest of their careers. Then, instead of any of them publicly talking, they just give way to former players that chirp and clap back to fans on social media
Chirping and clapping to nobody listening. Former players represent a VERY small percentage of active donors to their alma mater regardless of the amount. It would shock you to know the percentage of all college lettermen who won’t or don’t join because they still want everything given to them for nothing. It absolutely baffles me. For 4 years (5 if redshirted) the school fed us like kings in our own cafeteria and dorm. They paid our full tuition, books, fees, and provided free medical care.

I’m a member of an organization at the school to the west and gave an amount last fiscal year for a lifetime membership. It’s less than a $1,000. One can also give in 5-year and 10-year increments as well for a lesser corresponding dues requirement. The annual dues for a Memphis former letterman who chooses to give each year are only $50. Simply for being an “active” dues paying member, you get fed before every game and two tickets in the designated seating area.
If one wants chairbacks, the required seat donation to the Tiger Scholarship Fund is still half what a non-letterman fans pay. I have four season tickets in that section.

Last edited:
He cools his own seat just by sitting in it. He could lose every game for the rest of the season and he's be fine. We are stuck with Stuckstill. No other way around it and it's never changing. That makes me want to never donate. How about you?
I quit last year. Gave up my 4 blue chair backs as I saw no other way to make my voice heard.

Chirping and clapping to nobody listening. Former players represent a VERY small percentage of active donors to their alma mater regardless of the amount. It would shock you to know the percentage of letterman who won’t or don’t join because they still want everything given to them for nothing. It absolutely baffles me. For 4 years (5 if redshirted) the school fed us like kings in our own cafeteria and dorm. They paid our full tuition, books, fees, and provided free medical care.

I’m a member of an organization at the school to the west and gave an amount for a lifetime membership. It’s less than a $1,000. You can also give in 5-year and 10-year increments as well for a corresponding dues requirement. The annual dues for former letterman who choose to give each year are only $50. For being an “active” dues paying member, you get fed before every game and two tickets in the designated seating area.
If one wants chairbacks, the required seat donation to the Tiger Scholarship Fund is still half what a non-letterman fans pay. I have four season tickets in that section.

I wonder how many Varsity Club members we have? Heck, I wonder how many just BRAA members we have period.

I quit last year. Gave up my 4 blue chair backs as I saw no other way to make my voice heard.
I can’t imagine how you Alums must feel seeing this clown show
I never took a class at MT. Heck, never heard of it until I moved here on 97. Just wanted to see some football, got off my porch and drove over to Johnny Red Floyd. After a few games I was hooked, True Blue. Had up to 7 seats in 1QQ until 19 when I couldn’t take it any longer. Moved to the ATL and Jax Fl and never missed a home game and very few away games. I’ve only got a lot of time and money invested. You Alums have Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Pride poured into this program.
I feel for you guys.
Sad

Last edited:
I have pretty much settled into the realization Stock is here until he decides to retire. Also an outside chance he gets a better opportunity with the attention he got with the Miami win if he can string together some wins this season and get a bowl win.

Reactions: BigBlueBrad
No one is hiring away a 64 year old .500 coach.
Bingo, and that goes for the two above him. Our top three paid employees who make all the decisions regarding the Blue Raider Football program are all at or closing in on 20 years. That’s well above the avg. tenure for their respective peer groups in higher education.

• Sad
Reactions: RaiderDeez
Bingo, and that goes for the two above him. Our top three paid employees who make all the decisions regarding the Blue Raider Football program are all at or closing in on 20 years. That’s well above the avg. tenure for their respective peer groups in higher education.

Average tenure for G5 AD is 6.3yrs.

According to American College President 2017 report found on Google (new one due next year), avg President is 6.5yrs.

Another quick Google shows avg college football coach tenure is 4.5yrs.

Average tenure for G5 AD is 6.3yrs.

According to American College President 2017 report found on Google (new one due next year), avg President is 6.5yrs.

Another quick Google shows avg college football coach tenure is 4.5yrs.
They have milked MT for all it’s worth, and still are. By comparison, Memphis is on its 3rd Prez and AD and 4th Head Football Coach since West was terminated in ‘09.

Reactions: Predarat
I can’t imagine how you Alums must feel seeing this clown show
I never took a class at MT. Heck, never heard of it until I moved here on 97. Just wanted to see some football, got off my porch and drove over to Johnny Red Floyd. After a few games I was hooked, True Blue. Had up to 7 seats in 1QQ until 19 when I couldn’t take it any longer. Moved to the ATL and Jax Fl and never missed a home game and very few away games. I’ve only got a lot of time and money invested. You Alums have Blood, Sweat, Tears, and Pride poured into this program.
I feel for you guys.
Sad
I can vouch for this. Could not find a more rabid fan than MarJac23. The university and athletics department squandered this.

Reactions: MarJac23
One can only hope there is at least some sense of urgency in practice for the next two weeks given the opponents, their close proximity to the I-65 corridor and local media coverage. But then again, there are really no consequences for losing, even to the two schools within short driving distance of the MT campus.
WKU and their fans are gonna come into the Boro on Homecoming / Hall of Fame Day like a bunch of Vikings looking to pillage and plunder.

I just hope we can protect the blue horseshoe from being painted red.

1410638032000-Cleaning-the-Horseshoe.jpg

One can only hope there is at least some sense of urgency in practice for the next two weeks given the opponents, their close proximity to the I-65 corridor and local media coverage. But then again, there are really no consequences for losing, even to the two schools within short driving distance of the MT campus.
WKU and their fans are gonna come into the Boro on Homecoming / Hall of Fame Day like a bunch of Vikings looking to pillage and plunder.

I just hope we can protect the blue horseshoe from being painted red.

1410638032000-Cleaning-the-Horseshoe.jpg

I still can't believe we never got them back for that.

Here's an interesting article. Talks to the main booster who funded Mel Tucker's guaranteed $95m contract. Some quotes jumped out at me.

* in the last season before covid, only 22% of teams won 10 or more games at the FBS level
* only 31% (51/130) teams had winning records of 7-6 or better last season.
* A&M AD on Jimbo's contract, "...it's all about stability. Stability and continuity."
* created from an economics professor at Vanderbilt's thoughts "if a coach's contract is fully guaranteed for 10 years, why would he coach like his livelihood depended on every game or season"
* the booster that funded Tucker's contract “It’s not about his record. It’s not about what you see on TV. It’s about the person and knowing the guy and knowing that he’s a winner. There’s not a risk at all. Michigan State is not paying him to go 10-2 every year. Michigan State is paying him to be a leader.”

So are we trendsetters? (Sarcastically). I don't get that booster's rationale at all. At all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT