ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Pulling Back the Curtain -- Discussion Thread

Do we even have alumni chapters for game viewing parties?

I went on the MT alumni page or BRAA page - no mention of chapters anywhere. I did find a page for 2013 mentioning football viewing parties in Memphis, M'boro & Atlanta. So out of date.

My other school's Atlanta area association is so much more active. Weekly viewing events for football/basketball, young alumni events, golden alumni events, freshman send-off party, networking events, coaches/AD annual tour. Each meeting offers a raffle for the athletic association, a donation time, a membership signup drive. Golf tourney sponsoring an Atlanta scholarship. They make a little money each event.

I was invited to a few events for MT's college of Basic and Applied Science since I've been in Atlanta. That's about it. If not for Dean Fischer, I would not have heard from MT.

You want see involvement or the lack thereof, you can find it with Alumni relations. I see 3 events posted for locals.

A high school friend and classmate of mine is a Past President of the MTSU National Alumni Association. She's had zero involvement with the University since 2001. Let that sink in for a minute.
This is the root of the problem. As a university, they haven't sought to or attempted to build lasting relationships with alumni. There is no effective engagement of alumni/fans/donors on a regular basis.

I've always felt that a big part of our overall problem lies with the very nature of our university. You have many kids graduating from high schools who will enroll in a University of Tennessee or University of Alabama largely because of their athletics. They wanna be a part of a big-time football atmosphere every Saturday. It's very easy to be a fan of these types of schools. Let's face it. Most of our students attend MT because it's a convenient, affordable place to get a good (sometimes great) education. It's more of an extended high school rather than a university. This is why campus is a ghost town come Friday afternoon and on weekends. We aren't a "destination" college, rather a very good fallback option for many of our students. Not a pleasant concept to accept for us fans, but we are what we are and I have no idea how we can change this.

Wanted to point out a couple of things on Part 4 for clarification sake and additional information. The following is being pulled straight from a document we received:

Football Operation Facility - This project would create a dedicated home for the FB program. Coaches offices, meeting rooms, video production, weight room & training equipment, and student/athlete dining hall with a potential premiums seating component. The design could be a standalone building with the ability to attach an indoor practice area, which would consist of 100-year artificial turf and temperature controlled environment.
  • Locations are TBD as a feasibility study is currently underway
  • Estimated range could be $20-40 million depending on location, furnishings, impact of current stadium footprint and final designs.
  • Project schedule TBD
  • Once the project is moved forward by design, it will trigger a capital plan to enhance several other sports and administrative support divisions due to the back fill space vacated in Murphy Center including premium spaces. Currently under review as part of the university master plan athletic study.
Replacement of the "Buck Bouldin" outdoor tennis facility - the design study of the 10-court relocation plan was completed in Fall 2016.
  • Phase 1 is estimated to cost $5 million.
  • Schedule of this project is TBD, but will not start until the completion of the Middle Tennessee Blvd project, which is slated to to finish in Fall 2018.
Replacement of Floyd Stadium lighting - The project will replace antiquated bulb fixtures that were installed in 1998.
  • The proposes LED fixtures will be considered Green Technology to reduce energy & repair cost, while creating the ability of theatrical and remote control features.
  • The four light poles existing in the stadium already will require some repairs but will be reused.
  • Project slated for Summer 2018.
Relocation and technology upgrade of the Murphy Center control room - this will include a new scoreboard and video control system.
  • Estimated project cost is $500K
  • Timeline is TBD
Additional Future Scoreboard Replacements - all projects are TBD from a timeline perspective.
  • Football HD/4K LED Display - $1 million estimated cost
  • Baseball HD/4K LED Display - $350K estimated cost
  • Softball HD/4K LED Display - $250K
AMG & MC Auxiliary Gym court replacements - Timeline for this project is slated for 2019.
  • AMG volleyball wood floor replacement carries an estimated cost of $125K
  • MC Auxiliary Gym 1 wood elevation and complete replacement carries an estimated cost of $125K.

Okay...that's it! That's everything we were given in regards to future plans of facility improvements.

I just drove by BlueRaiderZone for a peek and what's left of that bunch of Happy Clappers aren't even discussing this stuff. LMAO!!

"You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: For being an insufferable pillock undeserving of a voice, much less access to BRZ.

A ban has been issued on your username."

I just drove by BlueRaiderZone for a peek and what's left of that bunch of Happy Clappers aren't even discussing this stuff. LMAO!!

"You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: For being an insufferable pillock undeserving of a voice, much less access to BRZ.

A ban has been issued on your username."
That's what you get for being such a damned pillock.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
This is the root of the problem. As a university, they haven't sought to or attempted to build lasting relationships with alumni. There is no effective engagement of alumni/fans/donors on a regular basis.

I think this is a big part of it. Aside from my quarterly "Give me money" envelope that appears in the mailbox every few months, that's it. There's no engagement. No selling me on anything. Nothing to make me feel that my MT degree on the wall makes me a part of something bigger.

Right now, if someone were to call me from the BRAA, they would have a new member. That simple. It's the beginning of football in 3 weeks. Are you telling me we can't spare a couple hours for some work study student to make a few phone calls, a few "hey, how are you doing, why don't you buy a pair of tickets to the Vandy game - here's a Coke and a hot dog voucher".

There's thousands of us with ties to the Univerisity- people who are predisposed to good feelings towards MT.It's clear that enthusiasm for a mediocre football team isn't driving attendance - stuff like this could make a difference.

I'll walk a mile for you, but you have to take 10 steps towards me. MT can't even be bothered to do that.

FR,

I hear you and feel the same. We can be excited as much as we want but if there is no change on the field then it is gonna be messy. I am just trying to be excited for the season. Maybe one of these people knows something I don't...which wouldn't really mean much.

Also, regarding the board...it is nice to see so much activity during the summer.

[
I'm sorry guys but I simply cannot get excited. I still supported Stock in here after the 2011disaster but listening to him the last couple of years sounds almost word for word like the last four years of Tommy West at Memphis. That contract is going to be the undoing of CM if this season is not exceptional. Average and bowl eligible will not stimulate new money giving. Fact.

There is one coach that sticks out to me. Kermit Davis. He talks about the skill sets of his players and talks about how they fit into his system. He talks about their injuries and when they expect him back. He talks intelligently about his opponents. He engages the fans. I would give him a B in fan engagement. I still don't hear any recruiting information until the player has committed. Stock and the whole athletic department could learn a lot from him. I give Stockstill an F in fan engagement. Lets take a look at Butch "knucklehead" Jones for a minute. He engages the fans very well. He and others educate the fans on all of the ongoing injuries throughout the year and quite frankly by doing that....it saved his job because they kept the fanbase informed and educated as to how injuries can effect the outcome of the game. I can't tell you how many times I would be frustrated after a loss and then come to find out a couple of starters were injured in the last game and didn't even know it. Makes me pull my hair out.

This thread begs the question of Austin and Casey - Does our athletic dept. actually read what we are saying on here?

Seriously, some really good point in this thread among our usual silliness. I don't think there are a lot of marketing guru's in this forum, but the ideas we have in this thread alone could increase revenue, ticket sales, and involvement.

For the record, the last time someone from the BRAA called me, it was Clint Marks.

There is no reason that we should not be able to sell an event in September (the Vandy game) to a standing room only / sell out level. We have 2 months to do it. But with the apathy that has set in, the school, BRAA, athletic department needs to really go door to door, make it a MT event, actually call folks, ask what it would take to get people to go, donate again/more. If we can see this, why doesn't our AD?

There is one coach that sticks out to me. Kermit Davis. He talks about the skill sets of his players and talks about how they fit into his system. He talks about their injuries and when they expect him back. He talks intelligently about his opponents. He engages the fans. I would give him a B in fan engagement. I still don't hear any recruiting information until the player has committed. Stock and the whole athletic department could learn a lot from him. I give Stockstill an F in fan engagement. Lets take a look at Butch "knucklehead" Jones for a minute. He engages the fans very well. He and others educate the fans on all of the ongoing injuries throughout the year and quite frankly by doing that....it saved his job because they kept the fanbase informed and educated as to how injuries can effect the outcome of the game. I can't tell you how many times I would be frustrated after a loss and then come to find out a couple of starters were injured in the last game and didn't even know it. Makes me pull my hair out.

Agreed.. I went to the NT game here in Denton last year and Kermit left 4 tickets for our family at the gate. I had a friend in the 'boro that reached out to Kermit and I had an email from him and the tickets.. I'm on a list of living in Dallas I'm sure and no one asked if I ever was going to the football games.. BTW.. I have attended the games every year the team was in town. I believe there is a heat map of where the alumni live.. They know where we live.. heck.. call me and invite me back for homecoming.. (BTW.. We come up there anyway w/o the invite)..

This thread begs the question of Austin and Casey - Does our athletic dept. actually read what we are saying on here?

Seriously, some really good point in this thread among our usual silliness. I don't think there are a lot of marketing guru's in this forum, but the ideas we have in this thread alone could increase revenue, ticket sales, and involvement.

For the record, the last time someone from the BRAA called me, it was Clint Marks.

There is no reason that we should not be able to sell an event in September (the Vandy game) to a standing room only / sell out level. We have 2 months to do it. But with the apathy that has set in, the school, BRAA, athletic department needs to really go door to door, make it a MT event, actually call folks, ask what it would take to get people to go, donate again/more. If we can see this, why doesn't our AD?
They read the boards

I'm not sure if Butch Jones is the best example of engaging coach. He's pretty much alienated half of Rocky Top with his constant use cliches and coach speak

With over 100k in alumni in the Middle Tennessee area a 15,000 target for season tickets should be achievable.

I know that when we first went D1 in football I had a visit from Roy Mewbourne in my office and there were a few events scheduled in the Brentwood area that we attended. I know that when the bowl game was in Dallas a few years ago no one reached out to me about attending. Marketing is a contact sport..
Roy Mewbourne is the reason I got involved after graduating. I have no idea how he got my name but he came to my office in 2007 with a plan to build a new baseball stadium and sold me on a 5-year commitment. We were friends ever since and I miss him. He would stop by my Franklin office at least once a month during his daily commute to Murfreesboro for a cup of coffee.

Roy would wear my phone out, too. And it didn't bother me in the least. Great man and great fundraiser. Wish he would move back.

Reactions: cipman2000
Roy would wear my phone out, too. And it didn't bother me in the least. Great man and great fundraiser. Wish he would move back.

He got me to buy 4 season tickets and donate Tickets. Kept me informed of what was going on too. We need someone like that to connect to the alumni.

Keep playing paycheck games and then maybe they can spend some monies to make money!

Last edited:
An idea if they read the boards.. Reach out to Dallas alumni and invite them out to meet Brent and Richie while they are in town for media day.. Do it at the hotel they are staying at or something.. doesn't have to be expensive.. include former Cowboy Phillip Tanner.. Gotta be a 1000 alumni in the area.. heck I could bring 3 of us that I know live here. Thanks for twittering..

#CUSAFB Media Days is under a week away! @MT_FB is bringing Brent Stockstill, Richie James to Irving. #BlueRaiders #TrueBlue

Heck.. I bet Clint Marks would show up.. even though he is the OC at SMU.

Last edited:
Reactions: C-Bow
I watched the Memphis defense work his guys over pretty good last season in Dallas. Great road trip. SMU has an awesome tailgate experience. Went with a buddy of mine from Memphis who has a daughter enrolled there.

I watched the Memphis defense work his guys over pretty good last season in Dallas. Great road trip. SMU has an awesome tailgate experience. Went with a buddy of mine from Memphis who has a daughter enrolled there.
It's a great campus! Nice fan experience too!

I think this is a big part of it. Aside from my quarterly "Give me money" envelope that appears in the mailbox every few months, that's it. There's no engagement. No selling me on anything. Nothing to make me feel that my MT degree on the wall makes me a part of something bigger.

Right now, if someone were to call me from the BRAA, they would have a new member. That simple. It's the beginning of football in 3 weeks. Are you telling me we can't spare a couple hours for some work study student to make a few phone calls, a few "hey, how are you doing, why don't you buy a pair of tickets to the Vandy game - here's a Coke and a hot dog voucher".

There's thousands of us with ties to the Univerisity- people who are predisposed to good feelings towards MT.It's clear that enthusiasm for a mediocre football team isn't driving attendance - stuff like this could make a difference.

I'll walk a mile for you, but you have to take 10 steps towards me. MT can't even be bothered to do that.

Well, I think are reasons for that. MT is a BIG commuter school, it just is. So, kids come from all over Middle Tennessee with other schools, the bigger schools, that they are fans of. They either couldn't get into the school they like, couldn't afford it, or are going to Middle because they don't care about athletics. There are other reasons, of course, but these stick out to me because I've seen it first hand.

Also, MT does an absolute shit job of promoting themselves on campus to the students. Even when the teams are great they aren't pushing it. Some time ago, I went to EKU for a semester before MT and there were TVs in every building, wherever you can imagine students gathering, and EKU pushed the shit out of their stuff... and they're in a division below us. They're similar to MT in that they're a decent commuter school for their size, but because they pushed so much school pride, where ever you looked, they reaped what they sowed.

MT's battle for past generations is a lost cause... they have to take a long term approach and start investing in their current students and hope that school spirit pays dividends down the road. This is something that has to change from the inside out, there's no other way.

What was it? About 10 years ago? When MT had some sort of administrator like Dean of Students or something similar that really revved up the students on campus for a few seasons. I seem to recall a noticeable boost in student attendance and enthusiasm at the home games during that time. I can't remember that administrators name, but he stood out in my mind of what some motivated creative MT leaders could do to boost the overall MT experience particularly the student section of home football games.

I always enjoyed my lunches with Coach Mewbourne. I remember increasing my giving right on the spot with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT