ADVERTISEMENT

MT to play at Michigan in 2019

AustinLewis

Hall of Famer
Staff
Sep 16, 2006
MT will open the 2019 season at the Big House. 1.6 million dollar pay day. 2019 will make the 3rd year in a row that MT has played 3 P5 OOC opponents

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Yeah, after the loss to McNeese State, I'm convinced that if you are gonna go play, play with the big boys.

I also agree with Tim that the consumer has spoken and we just don't have enough star power to fund ourselves without these paydays. That being said, I hope that Coach Stockstill does not use these games as an excuse for poor records.

Reactions: MTTim and MT Glenn
We broke. It's either play money games or drop to FCS.
Our donor base has proven they don't have enough to play with the big boys
You have no idea how broke. If Stock didn't have his golden parachute he'd prolly be ready to strangle Massaro for scheduling these welfare check games. It's not good.

Reactions: AustinLewis
You have no idea how broke. If Stock didn't have his golden parachute he'd prolly be ready to strangle Massaro for scheduling these welfare check games. It's not good.

How is it not good? You can recruit with these games. If a player wants to play in big time games on national TV, we got em. We either need to man up or drop to FCS. I love these games. I'm stoked that we're not playing Alabama A&M or Savannah St. anymore. We got Cuse, Vandy and Minny this year. Next year, UGA, Vandy and UK and then Michigan, Iowa, and Duke at our house in 2019. I get hyped for those games. Get paid and play on a bigger scale. Win/win. We should have never stopped doing it.

Welp, the football can, for the most part, look in the mirror for their own problems. Uninspiring, just good enough, no conference champion seasons, "drivers seat" when you aren't football equates to nobody going to games.

If football drives the bus then it needs a new driver.

I don't think this schedule is too brutal. Michigan is top 10, but Iowa and Duke are usually outside the top 25. Michigan will probably trounce us, but we should "compete" against the other two.

Reactions: MTTrueBlue

What I learned from this article...
1. Student Athletes come first (should that be in pink)
2. Cost of full attendance is a heavy burden on G5s
3. These games don't help build new facilities, they help balance the budget.

Now we are going back down this road, it will never stop. There is no plan to come up with new sources of revenue, none. Even tho its mentioned, none of these ideas were explored.

Cost of full attendance, which MT chose to apply to all sports IIRC, came about at the same time as media funds for the conference fell dramatically. MT, and I assume, many other G5 schools, is caught in a real financial squeeze.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would surprise me over the next few years as we try desperately to keep our heads above water while trying to swim upstream. Odds are we will see some real cost-cutting measures long before we will see any talk of real facility upgrades.

These problems started years ago when college football became less about football and more about building an empire.

Aldo didn't ask the AD's Numbers Lady about any subsidies received from the General Fund to help offset the annual shortfall and balance the Athletic Dept. budget (or at least get close)

Cost of full attendance, which MT chose to apply to all sports IIRC, came about at the same time as media funds for the conference fell dramatically. MT, and I assume, many other G5 schools, is caught in a real financial squeeze.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would surprise me over the next few years as we try desperately to keep our heads above water while trying to swim upstream. Odds are we will see some real cost-cutting measures long before we will see any talk of real facility upgrades.
Hey wait a minute now. Stock took a forbearance IOU from Massaro on his annual bonus for three extra years. That oughta count for something. Right?

Stock's "cut" helps the football team. The problem is their trying to fund every other sport's COA with football too because that's the "money" sport. That's the bigger problem. Mens and Womens BB brings in a little but it's not a cash cow either.

Football has 85 players to cover. BB has like 12 players.

Came to this thread late, but couple of important issues being discussed.

First, I see these money games as a pretty direct result of uninspired mediocre football for enough years that it's become the norm for MT. That lack of good success has left the fanbase unenergized and disinterested. Again, it's going to take more than battling to beat FAU & FIU at the end of the season to become bowl eligible to get fans energized again.

In a way, I'm kind of glad MT won't be playing the worst FCS teams they can find in order to get a home opening win. It's been pretty sad that MT can't even play local FCS teams that might bring a few fans to buy tickets for fear of actually losing to local FCS teams. Unacceptable.

For folks wanting to see coach Stock gone, this clear change in scheduling philosophy will likely force the issue. Money games combined with influx of new C-USA coaches i.e. FAU & FIU will require high quality talent and play to become bowl eligible. Average and below average performance will start to yield some pretty ugly records at the end of the season. If the coaches and team don't improve immediately, 4 win seasons are a legit possibility in the coming seasons.

The way traditional media has been effected by all of the obvious changes in technology, I don't even bother reading local news such as the DNJ anymore. They had a great history of a relationship with MT and covering MT sports. Frankly, the coverage is so watered down and lacking quality that it adds next to nothing to info already on the official Blue Raider website.

I haven't looked into the numbers recently, but it is likely more than just G5 schools being subsidized. If I'm not mistaken, only the major power players in the P5 conferences are actually making money. That is in addition to the P5 AD's sizable salaries beyond the head coaches. Until the recent media meltdown i.e. ESPN the media were making obscene amounts of money. Oh, the P5 conference commissioners and big bowl executives are the others making big bucks. Most others in D1 NCAA seem to struggle financially.

In my opinion, the politically correct elephant in the room that few in media or university administrations want to discuss is the level of impact of Title IX. With the demands of Title IX, I imagine it is fair to say that most D1 programs require univ/state subsidies to support the full athletic dept.

On one last controversial topic:

Outside of some economic or national catastrophe that shakes up entire national systems, I just don't see much of anything in the foreseeable future that will bring more fair and equitable competition across NCAA D1 programs. I'd rather not see a remedy by that way of things.

There seems little desire for one possible remedy, the controversial antitrust lawsuit idea. Something of that magnitude might be somewhat of a remedy, but there seems little desire for it. The main players on the G5 and FCS side who could possibly bring the suit aren't motivated as their typical goal is to end up on the P5 side. If they bring a suit, their chances of coaching or being an AD at one of the "big" P5 schools would become highly unlikely for quite a long time.

The upside to all of this is that it is sweet when underdogs like MT pull off the big upset. Even better, when underdogs like MT breakthrough to a high level of performance and success that MT is consistently knocking off P5 teams. MT basketball has been a great example of this the last few years.

Came to this thread late, but couple of important issues being discussed.

First, I see these money games as a pretty direct result of uninspired mediocre football for enough years that it's become the norm for MT. That lack of good success has left the fanbase unenergized and disinterested. Again, it's going to take more than battling to beat FAU & FIU at the end of the season to become bowl eligible to get fans energized again.

In a way, I'm kind of glad MT won't be playing the worst FCS teams they can find in order to get a home opening win. It's been pretty sad that MT can't even play local FCS teams that might bring a few fans to buy tickets for fear of actually losing to local FCS teams. Unacceptable.

For folks wanting to see coach Stock gone, this clear change in scheduling philosophy will likely force the issue. Money games combined with influx of new C-USA coaches i.e. FAU & FIU will require high quality talent and play to become bowl eligible. Average and below average performance will start to yield some pretty ugly records at the end of the season. If the coaches and team don't improve immediately, 4 win seasons are a legit possibility in the coming seasons.

It will take A LOT of cash that MT doesn't have and, as long as mediocre expectations are met for him to keep getting automatic extensions the guarantee stays the same.

I think people are overreacting a bit here. We played BAMA in 2015 along with VU and Illinois. We lost all 3 and still won 7 games. We had the VU and Illinois games won and blew it at the end. If you look at 18 and 19, we have one or 2 "no way" games and the others are winnable.

Vandy - Winnable
Syracuse - Winnable
Minnesota - Unlikely
BG - Very Winnable

UGA - Unlikely
VU - Winnable
UK - Winnable (We almost beat them 10 years ago when we last played them)
Open Spot - could be a gimmie

Michigan - Unlikely
Iowa - Unlikely but they're not world beaters lately
Duke - Winnable
Open Spot - could be a gimmie

So out of all of that, we only have like 3 real body bag type games. The others are games that we'll show up in or could actually win. 3 out of 12 games is not like it was in 2006 and 2007 when we played #1 LSU, #8 UL twice, #4 OU, a good Maryland and great UVA team.

Reactions: MTLynn
MT will open the 2019 season at the Big House. 1.6 million dollar pay day. 2019 will make the 3rd year in a row that MT has played 3 P5 OOC opponents

In 2015, we also played 3 P5 opponents. We need to play P5 opponents. G5 and FCS does not add to our relevance. They just don't.

In 2015, we also played 3 P5 opponents. We need to play P5 opponents. G5 and FCS does not add to our relevance. They just don't.
I have no problem playing P5 opponents. I have a problem with playing 3. OOC schedule should be a FCS, G5 series, G5 series or mid-level P5, and P5 money game

Fans don't get excited about the team coming into the conference schedule with a 1-3 record.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I have no problem playing P5 opponents. I have a problem with playing 3. OOC schedule should be a FCS, G5 series, G5 series or mid-level P5, and P5 money game

Fans don't get excited about the team coming into the conference schedule with a 1-3 record.
Virtually every time MT has topped 25k in the stands during the Stockstill era, it has been against an opponent within a 4 hour drive (Miss State, WKU, Memphis, Vandy). The three exceptions were Minnesota and Troy in 2010 and the first blackout game in 2008.
There's also a common theme among games with attendance above 20k - recognizable or regional opponent. But you'll have to read the article to learn that!

Again, this is another "lets complain just to complain" thread. If they schedule too light then it's apathy and we're cupcake. If we schedule 3 p5's, then we're scheduling too tough.

Here's what Massaro did which also helped put us into a financial bind. He went to schools like those regional greats you mentioned and he made sweetheart deals to get them in our stadium. Low payouts so they would come to JRF. By doing that, we missed out on making money off of other potential teams. Memphis was a great regional game but we made no money off of that 7 game series. So, you either please the fans and go broke or you make cash to keep the machine moving. We simply don't have the luxury anymore and I'm more than fine with it.

So let's review some of our bigger attendance games.

2011 - GT (P5) 30k+
2015 - Vandy (P5) - 23k
2008 - Maryland (P5) - 23k
2009 - Miss St (P5) - 24k
2007 - Virginia (P5) - 23k
2010 - Minnesota (P5) - 25k
2006 - Louisville (in nashville) - 32k

People show up for P5's. It's a relevance game. You stress a 1-3 record with P5's but no one cares about FCS opponents at home. I mean I go to those games but who else was there? G5's? Yeah, they don't exactly bring crowds in droves unless they are a regional opponent like Memphis or WKU. You think we're gonna rack up big numbers for Bowling Green? We didn't bring people for teams like ECU and Marshall when they were awesome so G5's and FCS ain't bringing numbers to make a difference. Memphis doesn't want to play us anymore. UT doesn't want to schedule us. Vandy doesn't want us anymore in FB or BB. WKU and UAB are in the conference. So who else in the region is left? TSU and Chatt? TSU would be a bigger draw but Massaro isn't calling them.

Here's the thing for me. Either we crap or get off the pot. I'm for scheduling 4 P5's a season. We are either gonna compete and play football with the bigger boys or shut the whole the thing down and stop pretending. We either get better or we go down the tubes. Either way is better than meandering in the middle. If we do bad, then we get to fire our coach which many people want anyway. If we win some of these games, we look good and get great press. (see GT, Vandy 3 times, Maryland twice and Mizzou)

Again, we aren't scheduling 12 Bama's like we used to in the beginning. Out of these 9 P5 games, only 3 are gonna be "no chance" type games. The others are games we can compete and have a chance in. Time to step up and play the game or get off the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTTim
O

Our fans don't get excited no matter what we do. We were 4-1 going into the WKU game and we get 22k to show up in a huge homecoming/CUSA showdown. We played 3 P5's in 2009 and won 10 games and went 2-2 in OOC play. It's possible to do well. We were within spitting distance of going 3-1 in 2015 with 3 P5's and if we had a kicker and could punch it in from the 1 yard line, we would have.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Gotta get people wanting to watch the Blue Raiders. What makes people want to watch? Relevance. What makes a team relevant? Winning games.

If the Raiders can get into the top 25 then more people will want to watch. When a team is outside the top 25 they are typically viewed as nothing special to the average sports fan - not worth the time.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
I agree but beating Alabama A&M ain't gonna get you that top 25 ranking. Heck, winning 10 games in 2009 didn't get us ranked. Stands weren't exactly bursting at the seems either. Why? Who did we play? Who did we beat? That's my point. WKU won 12 games in 2015. They got ranked on only one ranking service. They won games but who did they beat? Did they get ranked last year? Still won games. 2 Championship games at their house and neither one sold out and their stadium is 35% smaller than ours.

Schedule better opponents and take your shot. Play the game or stay home.

Reactions: SigmaNuBlue
I look at Boise.

They play a similar schedule as MT and they will lose 1 or 2 games most years but they are viewed as relevant because they win 11-14 games each year and have done so for the past 15 years.

wku hasn't done that - not even close.

I also think that when you take your shot and win against the better opponents, the team had better follow up without a loss to a f_u school or one of our bottom dwellers. Look at that record....typically when we win one that "we shouldn't", we follow up with a miserable loss or two. Kills momentum. Keep it going!

I agree but beating Alabama A&M ain't gonna get you that top 25 ranking. Heck, winning 10 games in 2009 didn't get us ranked. Stands weren't exactly bursting at the seems either. Why? Who did we play? Who did we beat? That's my point. WKU won 12 games in 2015. They got ranked on only one ranking service. They won games but who did they beat? Did they get ranked last year? Still won games. 2 Championship games at their house and neither one sold out and their stadium is 35% smaller than ours.

Schedule better opponents and take your shot. Play the game or stay home.

Reactions: dukewayne
I agree JDB but we have to let those cards fall. We can't schedule on the hope we don't poop the bed. I do agree with you though. We have to learn how to close the deal. If we beat Mizzou, we gotta knock the crap out of UTSA and Marshall. Sitting in the "middle" like we have has allowed us to have that non close mentality.

We shouldn't be passive in our OOC scheduling. A message needs to be sent. Move ahead or leave. Our BB team has scheduled tough and faced one of the best teams in the country in the 15/16 season and guess what? We beat em. Someone has to step up sometime. You can't play in the shadows of CFB and expect to have the limelight shine on you.

I look at Boise.

They play a similar schedule as MT and they will lose 1 or 2 games most years but they are viewed as relevant because they win 11-14 games each year and have done so for the past 15 years.

wku hasn't done that - not even close.

WKU hasn't been an FBS team for 15 years yet. They just hit the 10 season mark. When have they last had a losing season? 2010. They are on their way. 6 straight winning seasons. No one else in our conference has that streak. 6 straight winning seasons out of 10 total years in FBS. Even with that excellent young pedigree they aren't filling their 20k stadium.

Boise St. is a tough team to compare to. They haven't ever had a losing season as a FBS team. They've had a winning record streak for 20 years. But yeah, win for 2 decades and everything is great. They're not in SEC country either. Their AD isn't scheduling their games at the precise times their big market competitors are. Plus, have you ever been there? They are UT there. There ain't a real competitor for hundreds of miles. Their attendance is good and their conference is good enough. It's not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT