ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Middle Tennessee (4-3; 3-1) @ ODU (2-6; 1-4) (ESPN+), 2:30PM, Saturday, October 27, 2018

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
game thread, a work in progress:

PADETEEVQWFOQJD.20160422202102.jpg

Old Dominion University
Founded: 1930 Enrollment: 24,932 Undergrad 19,612 Postgrad 5,058
Acceptance rate: 81.9%
Colors: Slate Blue, Silver, and Light Blue Nickname: Monarchs Fight song: ODU Fight Song
Series: MT leads 2-0
Stadium: S.B. Ballard (20,118)
Head Coach: Bobby Wilder (Maine, 1987) Record at ODU: 72-37 (10th) Overall:Same
2016 Record: 5-7 (3-5) 2016 Bowl: None
Starters Ret./Lost: 18/6 Lettermen R/L: 46/13

Weather Forecast: Cloudy, 63/49, Windy 14mph WSW, 0% precip

Where: Foreman Field at S. B. Ballard Stadium, 5115 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529

Stadium Policies: All purses and diaper bags will be inspected prior to entrance to Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.

Television: ESPN+ - Ted Alexander (play-by-play), Andy Mashaw (analyst), Doug Ripley (sidelines)

Radio: PxP: Chip Walters, Analyst: Wes Counts, WMOT FM 89.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS AM 1450 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 100.5 (Murfreesboro), WGNS FM 101.9 (Murfreesboro), WPRT FM 102.5 (Nashville), (TuneIn app)

Streaming: LISTEN, Video

Live Stats: LIVE STATS

Newspapers: The Virginian-Pilot, The Daily Press, ,

Message Boards: The Lions Den,

Blogs: ,

Athletic site:
odusports.com, goblueraiders.com

Media Guides:
ODU, Middle Tennessee

Preseason Previews: , , , Middle Tennessee 2018 SBNation Preview, Middle Tennessee (Orlando Sentinel #56),

Game Notes:
ODU Notes, MT GAME NOTES

Roster: Monarchs, Blue Raiders

Game Previews:
Game Nine Preview: Old Dominion vs. Middle Tennessee, Looking ahead to MT and ODU

Twitter: @ODUSports, @ODUFootball, @ODUCoachWilder, @Harry_MiniumODU, @TedAlexanderodu, , , , , , , , @PlantersBowl,

Hashtags:
#ODUFB , #ODUSports, #DeepBlueODU, #aimhigh, #PlantersBowl , #MTvsODU, #BlueRaiders, , , ,

Facebook:
ODUSports, ODUFootball, ,

Youtube: ODUSports, ,, ,

Instagram:
ODUSports, , ,

Last edited:
I have no read on this game after yesterday’s offensive performance.
IMO, if Stock thinks the team can win with base offense and base defense, then that is what we will see, but if the team falls behind then we will see aggressive offense and defense.

I really expect a game like we just saw against Charlotte.

Chump plays - what about the 60 yard run on the first drive and then the two big pass plays on the last drive.

Simple game plan. ODU is going to try to run the ball. Can we stop it? Virginia Tech couldn't, and lost.

The more physical team will win. Really need to get a running game going this week heading into the final stretch of games. We will not sniff a CUSA championship if we remain a 1 dimensional team.

I feel good about the game because of our defense. I love this defense and I love this defensive coordinator. Maybe our best ever but the statistics won't indicate that because our offense has left them out to dry way too often this year.

If our offense could become more balanced (ie. run the damn ball), we could be a seriously dangerous team. If we can't start running the ball UAB is gonna wipe us out.

I'm kind of with CRS on thinking this team has a break out game offensively ahead of it. That's kind of how last year's offense went. At the end of the year, they were good.

I think that Thomas trying to change his running style in the off season really hurt his game. He doesn't seem to have that nose for the open space that he had last year. Don't mess with what works.

I don't think we are even one dimensional. 144 total yards is laughable.

Agreed. I'm not sure I've seen a more pathetic win in my time as an MT fan. We certainly didn't win that game. Charlotte lost it.

Simple game plan. ODU is going to try to run the ball. Can we stop it? Virginia Tech couldn't, and lost.

The more physical team will win. Really need to get a running game going this week heading into the final stretch of games. We will not sniff a CUSA championship if we remain a 1 dimensional team.

I feel good about the game because of our defense. I love this defense and I love this defensive coordinator. Maybe our best ever but the statistics won't indicate that because our offense has left them out to dry way too often this year.

If our offense could become more balanced (ie. run the damn ball), we could be a seriously dangerous team. If we can't start running the ball UAB is gonna wipe us out.

Wiley, you continue to be a football genius.
VT couldn’t stop the run and that’s why they lost?
Weird, I thought it was the 495 yards passing and 4 TDs they gave up through the air.
ODU is 13th in the league in rushing.
Their running game doesn’t have a damn thing to do with it.
We have to limit their QB and not get murdered on special teams.
Stick to your day job

Reactions: DABLUERAIDERS
Wiley, you continue to be a football genius.
VT couldn’t stop the run and that’s why they lost?
Weird, I thought it was the 495 yards passing and 4 TDs they gave up through the air.
ODU is 13th in the league in rushing.
Their running game doesn’t have a damn thing to do with it.
We have to limit their QB and not get murdered on special teams.
Stick to your day job

Didn't check the box score but the highlights I saw from that game were the ODU RB styling on the VT defense. I figured they ran them into the ground.

If what you say is true, then obviously they had their way with them, both through the air and on the ground.

I still think ODU comes out trying to establish the run. You won't win many games just throwing the ball all the time, which could be why their record stinks. We've been very fortunate to win the games we have despite not so stellar rushing numbers. We were finally able to get decent rushing yards against FIU, and shut down FIU's run game, but we of course found a way to lose that one in the final 4 minutes of the 4th quarter, some-how some-way, after basically leading the entire game.

I swear I just heard a commercial for the Old Dominion game at Floyd Stadium on The Zone or The Game. Can't remember which dial I was on... Anyone else hear that?

Surprise surprise the game is on ESPN CRAP again, oh well it reminds me of the olden days when the games were mostly on radio. Also I have been enjoying Chip and Wes.

excerpt:

...The Old Dominion Monarchs and the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders will be matching up in college football action Saturday from Foreman Field.

Old Dominion comes in here at 2-6 on the season so far. The losses came to Liberty, FIU, Charlotte, East Carolina, FL Atlantic and Marshall while the Monarchs’ wins came against Virginia Tech and Western Kentucky.

In the WKU game, Old Dominion QB blake LaRussa managed 327 yards with a TD and Kesean Strong was the top rusher on 125 yards and two TDs. Travis Fulgham led the Monarchs receivers with his 102 yards and a TD from seven grabs.

Over on the Middle Tennessee side, they’re sitting at 4-3 so far. The Raiders’ losses have come to Vanderbilt, Georgia and FIU while they’ve taken out TN-Martin, FL Atlantic, Marshall and Charlotte so far.

In the Charlotte win, Middle Tennessee QB Brent Stockstill logged 111 yards with three TDs and a pick, and Tavares Thomas had 36 yards from 10 carries. Ty Lee led the Raiders’ receivers on 60 yards and two TDs from six catches.

The Raiders are 8-3 ATS in their last 11 following an ATS loss and 3-8 ATS in their last 11 on turf. Middle Tennessee is 1-4 ATS in their last five in October and 2-8 ATS in their last 10 road games.

Meanwhile, the Monarchs are 4-1 ATS versus a team with a winning record and 3-7 ATS in their last 10 overall. Old Dominion is 2-8-1 ATS in their last 11 home games and 1-6 ATS in their last seven conference games.

Old Dominion has been all over the place this season, and they’re hemorrhaging points on the defensive side. The Monarchs have given up at least 28 points in every game this season.

As for Middle Tennessee, they’ve had some close calls over their last four games, but are 3-1 in that span and seem to be playing well all things considered.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT