ADVERTISEMENT

Blue Raiders add 22nd commitment

MTLynn

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
dnj excerpt:

Jovante Moffatt, a cornerback from Union City High School in West Tennessee, confirmed to The Daily News Journal that he has committed to play for the Blue Raiders in 2015.

Moffatt, a 6-foot 190-pound unrated prospect according to Rivals, picked MTSU over Western Kentucky.

"I felt more comfortable there," Moffatt said by phone Tuesday about picking the Blue Raiders over the Hilltoppers.

"Coach Stock (MTSU coach Rick Stockstill) is, man, he's a great guy. I like Coach Stock. When he came for my home visit, I live with my aunt, he really caught our attention. … He was a big deal in my decision."

He is the sixth defensive back in the Blue Raiders' 2015 recruiting class to commit or sign as an early-enrollee.

Blue Raiders add 22nd commitment

Will have several DBs graduating next year. Including both starting safeties. CB position hasn't had enough bodies.

Originally posted by Middle Mike:
Will have several DBs graduating next year. Including both starting safeties. CB position hasn't had enough bodies.
While we may have several graduating you NEVER overload on a position in one year. It just creates a problem later on and at other positions. I realize some of these guys are JC players but it seems over done. Only 4 can play. I count 4 graduating. You can't solve your numbers problem in one year. I counted 19 guys that play at DB/S on the 2014 roster, so that leave 15, of which 6 will be SRs next year. Pick you best 4 and give them ships. If not enough guys can play then you have bigger problems. Again you cannot fix it all in one year. And the truth is the 6 that are in their last year are not your best 6.

Excerpt from the article linked below:

Stockstill said he wants to sign five defensive backs and three receivers in this year's class to fill those losses, adding that numbers are always very fluid.

Three of the Blue Raiders' early enrollees - Nick Beasley, Khalil Brooks and Dontavious Heard - are defensive backs and one - Rod Ducksworth - is a receiver, giving Stockstill and his staff a leg on those spots.

Stockstill unveils plan

Two years ago we had 19 (+or-) defensive lineman. That position was thinned out fairly quickly due to dismissals and graduation.

It seems like we have typically had around 12 DBs. While I do agree that 19 is high, we don't play just four. With all the spread we see, I'd have to imagine five DBs are on the field as much or more than three LBs.

Besides, the numbers we see are not final. A couple guys could jump ship, and the staff generally parts with one or two that have been solid commits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT