ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS Why major MT athletic facilities upgrades are unlikely soon despite $100M plan announced in 2018

No pressure in this article on Rick. He is 80-78 overall if you remove wins over 1-AA opponents.

We can't get money from donors because there is no interest. This article should have been slanted in that direction IMO. He (Rick) needs to hold his end of bargain. "Consistent threat" my arse.

Our problems are so much bigger than just our FB HC. Lets be honest, we are a blue collar university. Our core of fans has always been pretty small and our core group of givers is smaller still - there was really never any big interest, there was only hope that if you build it they will come. Well, despite decent success "they" didn't come.

I don't think you can blame this on a person, but if I did it would start with McPhee - he is not a dynamic leader to drive MT to new heights. He is part of the system. He is in a cushy position not willing to truly take risks. There are so many things that have changed so drastically since we began big boy FB and he became the MT leader.

EDIT: Now that I've read the article I'd like to say to Stock - get off your ass and get in the community and become the FACE of the program. This job as FB coach is so much more than just leading the team, you have to get out and sell the program to the community. I have lived in the Boro for 15 of the last 19 years and never see him out on the town. I don't know of any special fundraising efforts he leads. All the coaches of the major sports need to become better salesmen.

Lastly to our fans and ex fans (the few, the proud). I struggle listening to some of you, it's all the same tired response. I understand your frustration and agree. We need to do better, just being the resistance is such a crappy way to go, its old, its tiring. Maybe all of us on this board could do one small positive thing to help the program. I'd be up to help whether that's make a few calls, give some money. Something small but tangible.

Last edited:
Our problems are so much bigger than just our FB HC. Lets be honest, we are a blue collar university. Our core of fans has always been pretty small and our core group of givers is smaller still - there was really never any big interest, there was only hope that if you build it they will come. Well, despite decent success "they" didn't come.

I don't think you can blame this on a person, but if I did it would start with McPhee - he is not a dynamic leader to drive MT to new heights. He is part of the system. He is in a cushy position not willing to truly take risks. There are so many things that have changed so drastically since we began big boy FB and he became the MT leader.

EDIT: Now that I've read the article I'd like to say to Stock - get off your ass and get in the community and become the FACE of the program. This job as FB coach is so much more than just leading the team, you have to get out and sell the program to the community. I have lived in the Boro for 15 of the last 19 years and never see him out on the town. I don't know of any special fundraising efforts he leads. All the coaches of the major sports need to become better salesmen.

Lastly to our fans and ex fans (the few, the proud). I struggle listening to some of you, it's all the same tired response. I understand your frustration and agree. We need to do better, just being the resistance is such a crappy way to go, its old, its tiring. Maybe all of us on this board could do one small positive thing to help the program. I'd be up to help whether that's make a few calls, give some money. Something small but tangible.

I completely agree with your first two paragraphs but disagree with the last. The fans that are withholding money are doing what they can to provide pressure on the admin to force a change. You can't continue to subsidize this inept administration by continuing to give them just enough money to get by. The media refuses to hold them accountable with articles like these. What do you suggest we do to make a change? Is there any other program in the country that has had a president, AD, and football coach as long as we have? How do we force them to get out into the community? How do we force them to do anything?

Our new board has been a disappointment as well. They extended McPhee's contract with a raise and they did nothing to fight for the law school, which we were so corruptly denied.

I don't blame anyone for not giving their hard earned money to this incompetent group, but I wouldn't not call them fans because of it. Anyone who is reading or posting on this site regardless if they give money or go to games is a fan.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
The more I read things like this, honestly the more I feel for Stock.

The guy has an average/slightly above average record with some of the worst facilities in all of D1 athletics. What could he have accomplished over his tenure with just average facilities?

You can kind of read through his verbiage here, too. He sounds frustrated to say the least.

What I found really interesting about this article is 5,017 people/businesses have thus far pledged just south of $7 million $$$ to this project. About this time last year I received a phone call from one of the two people who basically run the BRAA. They were both flying into Jacksonville, renting a car and were gonna work their way thru North Florida, GA, Chattanooga, then back to The ‘Boro, visiting, I guess, with various & sundry boosters. Asked if we could get together for breakfast/lunch. We settled on a brunch on Wednesday. We talked for an hour & 45 minutes, time just flew.

Near the end of the discussion one of them suggested we look at some of the architectural renderings they had brought with them. We talked about that for 5-10 minutes, me waiting on when the pitch/hard sell was gonna come. It never did and I didn’t feel it was my place to bring it up. I was never in sales when I was working but I always heard it said, “you have to ask for the sale”.

So here we are a year later and it appears there has been some sort of on-going facility fund-raising taking place the past 3 years. Other than the 5,017, I wonder how many knew that? A stealth fund-raising strategy, what a novel approach!

I have a rough draft of a letter to Massaro I had put aside 6 weeks ago to focus on some other things. This DNJ article just might be the impetus to finally get it done & in the mail.

Couple of things. Those of you who are donating to improve our facilities. Kudos to you. Donating money to improve our facilities is something we should all try to do because we know the money (hopefully) isn't going to end up in anyone's pocket and supporting the production of newer facilities doesn't mean you are financially giving to any specific sport. Helping build new facilities for football and men's basketball is a permanent upgrade to the university, regardless of who our coach, athletic director, or president is. So I would really encourage anyone who has the means to support new facilities, please do so.

With that being said, is there a way we can donate SPECIFICALLY towards new facilities? I'm not interested in supporting anything BUT that. Not coaches salaries, not the BRAA, not scholarships. Nothing. I want new facilities period and that's what I wanna give for. Is there a fund for this? (There better be)

At the end of the day I think we should all try to pitch in for this because building new facilities supports our program for the long haul and lord knows we need new buildings and to "start moving dirt" ASAP.

The college football landscape is changing rapidly and MT will be left behind. McPhee and Massaro are seeing to that. There is no sense of urgency or energy in this program. Only pipe dreams, artist renderings, and lame newspaper articles stating the obivous . Heck even Stock basically said the 80's called and want their facilities back. Kids just don't want to come here. Our rivals NT, FIU, FAU etc are movers and we are shaking in our boots.
After 15 years of being a STH, I just couldn't renew. Broke my heart but I can't throw my money down the hole with the current leadership. (CM SM).
The answer is obvious. If we want to continue playing big boy football a change at the top in necessary
We are just kidding ourselves if we believe that will happen
Enjoy the video boys, That's all we got

Last edited:
Not donating is not sending any message. All it is doing is not allowing new facilities and not being able to stop scheduling 3 P5 opponents every year. Keep not donating and you all will continue to have the same things to complain about. Might donate if a new administration is hired, but as soon as they do not do what you all want you will stop again.

The guy has an average/slightly above average record with some of the worst facilities in all of D1 athletics. What could he have accomplished over his tenure with just average facilities?

You can kind of read through his verbiage here, too. He sounds frustrated to say the least.

I agree...but Stock isn't a salesman to the donors and the community. I know its easy to look back and make judgments. He has done good work as a FB coach but we need more than just a coach. Its not come from our President, its not coming from our AD and its not coming from Stock. So while I get his frustration, he has been here since 2006 - what has he done different?

It’s a team effort to accomplish these goals. There may be a plan but where is the implementation? What is being done different today then in 1998? We are now 20+ years into IA football and we still do not have an indoor practice facility, attendance has fallen, & we can’t even have local retailers / business carry - support the brand? Relational equity needs to be built with the community and beyond.

I agree...but Stock isn't a salesman to the donors and the community. I know its easy to look back and make judgments. He has done good work as a FB coach but we need more than just a coach. Its not come from our President, its not coming from our AD and its not coming from Stock. So while I get his frustration, he has been here since 2006 - what has he done different?

Yep. This isn't Alabama. Saban is CEO of the state. He can afford to do whatever he wants. Stockstill can't afford to run his program like Saban. He has to be out ginning the support, but he's not a rah guy and because of that + failures in key games he's lost the fanbase.

Is there a fund or some place we can donate where the money SPECIFICALLY goes towards new facilities? 100% of donations go toward breaking ground on new facilities for football and men's basketball? This is the ONLY manner in which I would give my hard earned $$$. I'm not donating to anything else where this incompetent AD could squander more money and time. I will however support breaking ground on new facilities because it's something I agree with.

Please tell me a fund like this exists......

We need one of those Tommy West press conferences
Tommy kept quiet for nine years and happily took his $925,000 a year. He only spoke up after he got hurt feelings over being fired for going 2-10 and losing two straight to MTSU. He wouldn’t make in-home visits with his assistants and refused to show up at an annual barbecue gathering for the Memphis HS coaches sponsored by the Memphis City Schools AD (a former Tiger and teammate of mine). The event was even held at the Tiger Football complex.

He still got three more years guaranteed at that rate with no offset even if he took another job which he did and got fired at both UAB and So. Miss as DC. He and Ellis Johnson went 0-12 at USM.

RC Johnson was even worse than Massaro. Memphis was paying three football coaches in 2012 when they hired Justin Fuente and owed West a final year and two more to Larry Porter. The only thing TW did that helped Memphis was to talk Stock out of taking the job instead of Larry Porter. Otherwise, Stock would probably still be at Memphis winning just enough to keep the basketball power boosters happy.

Last edited:
Is there a fund or some place we can donate where the money SPECIFICALLY goes towards new facilities? 100% of donations go toward breaking ground on new facilities for football and men's basketball? This is the ONLY manner in which I would give my hard earned $$$. I'm not donating to anything else where this incompetent AD could squander more money and time. I will however support breaking ground on new facilities because it's something I agree with.

Please tell me a fund like this exists......

I doubt they would turn away any money, even if you have reasonable requirements on how it's spent. I would suggest an email/phone call to find out if this is an option. I definitely think people on here would be interested in that.

What I found really interesting about this article is 5,017 people/businesses have thus far pledged just south of $7 million $$$ to this project.

I have a rough draft of a letter to Massaro I had put aside 6 weeks ago to focus on some other things. This DNJ article just might be the impetus to finally get it done & in the mail.

What about sharing this letter with the message board? Maybe get a petition going or something to add an extra push.

And just an FYI.......

If you do some simple math the “$6,860,582 number received from 5,017 donors” that was mentioned in DNJ yesterday is misleading. It only averages out to about $1,300 per donor.

That’s the BRAA annual fund and some restricted dollars that has already been spent on coaches salaries, scholarships, etc. It’s not sitting in a bank somewhere drawing interest and waiting to go toward capital projects. There has been ONE major donation in the last FIVE years that was restricted to tennis and hasn’t been spent yet.

Whoever writes this stuff for the DNJ really needs to dig deeper with open records requests before printing misleading information.

But then again, all of us sheep were supposed to believe Massaro’s press release announcing Stock’s bonus delay in exchange for the 3 extra years was some grand act of benevolence. SMDH.

Last edited:
Not donating is not sending any message. All it is doing is not allowing new facilities and not being able to stop scheduling 3 P5 opponents every year. Keep not donating and you all will continue to have the same things to complain about. Might donate if a new administration is hired, but as soon as they do not do what you all want you will stop again.
So.....you are recommending that we all just continue to throw our hard earned money at something we don’t agree with?

You have to swing the only stick you have.

Not to totally change the subject but concerning upgrades. Has anyone been down the newly completed section of Middle Tennessee Blvd. recently? The landscaping in the middle of the roadway is overrun with weeds. The new signage has dead plants and is full of weeds. The paver crosswalks are completely black in some areas where the oil and tar from recent paving stuck to tires and then unstuck on the bricks. Quite honestly, it looks horrible. I'm assuming the city is responsible for the road and university for its signage. Either way, it took forever to get yet no one seems to be taking care of it.

Not to totally change the subject but concerning upgrades. Has anyone been down the newly completed section of Middle Tennessee Blvd. recently? The landscaping in the middle of the roadway is overrun with weeds. The new signage has dead plants and is full of weeds. The paver crosswalks are completely black in some areas where the oil and tar from recent paving stuck to tires and then unstuck on the bricks. Quite honestly, it looks horrible. I'm assuming the city is responsible for the road and university for its signage. Either way, it took forever to get yet no one seems to be taking care of it.
My wife and I said the same yesterday. It looks awful and full of weeds. I can’t believe anyone would pay for that.

So.....you are recommending that we all just continue to throw our hard earned money at something we don’t agree with?

You have to swing the only stick you have.
Just pointing out not donating is not achieving the goal you want. Wish it were. I just want to enjoy the games and hope we can turn a corner. Being positive is not popular on these boards.

There have been many years of positive discussion regarding MT football. The only times that there have been a discord was in Andy Mac's final two-three years and what we have now.

I remember Stock's early days were full of praise and optimism beginning when we eeeked by FIU 7-6 in his first year. We went to our first bowl game under Coach Rick. Nothing but praise until he plateaued in the earlier part of this decade.

Go back to the old Delphi Boards. Early 2000s were full of fandom...fly your flag friday....road trip caravans. It was alive.

I think what has happened is that Rick is a dead fish. No life. Nothing to get excited about. He does little to get out front. He is tired and should do the right thing and step down but he won't. This isn't just about W/L percentages.

There have been many years of positive discussion regarding MT football. The only times that there have been a discord was in Andy Mac's final two-three years and what we have now.

I remember Stock's early days were full of praise and optimism beginning when we eeeked by FIU 7-6 in his first year. We went to our first bowl game under Coach Rick. Nothing but praise until he plateaued in the earlier part of this decade.

Go back to the old Delphi Boards. Early 2000s were full of fandom...fly your flag friday....road trip caravans. It was alive.

I think what has happened is that Rick is a dead fish. No life. Nothing to get excited about. He does little to get out front. He is tired and should do the right thing and step down but he won't. This isn't just about W/L percentages.

Aside from the 2-10 year, Rick has done an adequate job as a FB coach. With our OOC schedule's its hard for us to win more than 7-8 games and overall we have won as many conference games than any other CUSA schools. But that where it ends - Stock is NOT a promoter and either doesn't know how or doesn't want to be the standard bearer for the program.

What we need is a promoter lead the team, some one who understands he has to go fight for money. Its not fair but its reality. If he wants an indoor practice field then he needs to go ask and hunt for the money. He makes almost $1M a year; this isn't the SEC. To continue to whine about what we don't have and then we don't "see" any effort from him to change it is a problem. Again, our AD and President are not going to do it.

Aside from the 2-10 year, Rick has done an adequate job as a FB coach. With our OOC schedule's its hard for us to win more than 7-8 games and overall we have won as many conference games than any other CUSA schools. But that where it ends - Stock is NOT a promoter and either doesn't know how or doesn't want to be the standard bearer for the program.

What we need is a promoter lead the team, some one who understands he has to go fight for money. Its not fair but its reality. If he wants an indoor practice field then he needs to go ask and hunt for the money. He makes almost $1M a year; this isn't the SEC. To continue to whine about what we don't have and then we don't "see" any effort from him to change it is a problem. Again, our AD and President are not going to do it.

Exactly! Stockstill wines about not having the facilities he wants but does absolutely nothing about it. He is nonexistent in the community. I get it. He is not a big personality, but if you don't want to do the work and promote the program, than you need to win bowl games, conference championships, and beat our rivals. If you cant do that, than shut up about the facilitates.

Reactions: FranklinRaider315

He ain’t stepping down (would anyone?) With the low bar set in his contract by our AD for him to hit every year, he is basically fireproof unless he gets caught cheating or his team’s APR bottoms out.

Sadly, Stock will exit on his terms. It is what it is.

I agree we need some enthusiasm and life breathed into the program. I remember when we would fly flags, people traveled to Knoxville, MD, and other places. An upgrade is needed in so many areas. Radio, fund raising, brand awareness, facilities, just to name a few. If you don’t engage the alumni & the community it will never happen. This place should be a destination not a place.. jmo

Read this article and let it sink in for a minute. Some of you will get my point quickly. Others may take a little while.
Think....”culture”. Take away the student activity fee subsidy then some of those “fundraisers” might actually have to fund raise and market their product which is MT Football. If what I heard today is true that the leadership is trying to hit up the City of Murfreesboro and Rutherford County for assistance, then we have much bigger issues than our win/loss records for conference titles and bowls.
https://www.jacksonsun.com/story/ne...keep-jackson-generals-aa-baseball/1551175001/

Last edited:
I'm OK with the administration playing hard ball with the city/county for money, if that's what they are doing. Murfreesboro is what it is because of MTSU. Without MTSU, Murfreesboro would be on a par with a city like Columbia, TN. It would be a nobody.

It's no secret that MTSU has been taken for granted for decades. It generates a stupid amount of money for the city/county and the economy/growth of Rutherford Co. has centered around the college for the last half century. MTSU is the beating heart of that town but it's been completely ignored, taken for granted, and shat on for its entire existence. Quite a pathetic town if I may say so myself and while it sucks I don't live there anymore to go to games, I'm happy to be gone.

Also, what does Murfreesboro/Rutherford Co do for MTSU? Next to nothing....

Last edited:
Bumping this thread back up. The article is insane.

...Massaro said the school is exploring additional sources for funds, including potential partnerships with the city of Murfreesboro.

The school has $30 million to $40 million it can use from a student fee passed a few years ago, but that number is not going to increase. The school has received $6,860,582.55 toward the project from 5,017 donors over the last three fiscal years.....

Why not use that money now to show progress in facilities.

Bumping this thread back up. The article is insane.

...Massaro said the school is exploring additional sources for funds, including potential partnerships with the city of Murfreesboro.

The school has $30 million to $40 million it can use from a student fee passed a few years ago, but that number is not going to increase. The school has received $6,860,582.55 toward the project from 5,017 donors over the last three fiscal years.....

Why not use that money now to show progress in facilities.

I would bet that money is gone. Long gone.

Something doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Mississippi State built an indoor facility for 3.8 million in 2004, albeit a minimum facility. UGA built an indoor practice facility for 30 million. Troy upgraded to “state of the art” improvements for $25 million. We had 40 million, you are telling me we could not build an indoor facility with some bells & whistles that is expandable in the future?

Something doesn’t pass the sniff test.

Mississippi State built an indoor facility for 3.8 million in 2004, albeit a minimum facility. UGA built an indoor practice facility for 30 million. Troy upgraded to “state of the art” improvements for $25 million. We had 40 million, you are telling me we could not build an indoor facility with some bells & whistles that is expandable in the future?
Yep.

I’m not sure I follow this logic. But I wonder if you still feel the same today as you did last year?

His on field game management has been atrocious with end of the first half debacle at Army and trying to sub players on the pick six when Troy was going with super fast tempo at the time as just the most recent examples of poor decision making. He has perpetually failed in the areas of game management and using replay. He’s hired buddies such as Tommy West, for example, that won’t recruit in spite of his ties to the talent in the state. He will go to events but he won’t give donors, fundraising events, and community activities the same passion he will give his team in the locker room. His teams even with equal talent have laid monumental eggs in front of home crowds and against our most important rivals that would have driven donors to better support. In many ways, the reason for the lack of facilities is driven by his own coaching and personality that has alienated the community and the fan base. How can you feel sorry for a guy who has fleeced the university for millions of dollars just for right to be average. You talk about his record and what it could be. The truth is he has largely benefited by getting to play in weakest league when we were in the Sun Belt and now he’s still getting the benefit of coaching in the weakest league because C-USA is terrible. His record is propped up by wins over I-AA and bad I-A programs. Seriously, go do the math and look at his record against winning teams and then against teams .500 or lower. I did this once even before these last two seasons and it wasn’t pretty. Instead of viewing rivalries and program building opportunities or moments, he’s taken the tired cliched approach that it’s just another game. I can assure you western and Vandy weren’t approaching us as just the next game on the schedule. They viewed them as must wins. This “program” is often asleep at the wheel when it matters most.

Lastly, this premise that we have some of the worst facilities is a lie that’s being perpetuated by enablers. I can assure you there are a lot of programs in places like C-USA, Sun Belt, and MAC that have much worse infrastructure that have still managed to whoop our asses.

Lastly, a lot of these kids decide whether they are coming to MT or not before they ever see campus. This is just another excuse. If you want better facilities spend quality time with donors (not just when CM asks you to do an appearance), don’t get perpetually embarrassed on TV, and be competitive in critical games.

Last edited:
FYI......When this fluff piece was written, Joe Spears was only 3 months into his new gig at the DNJ after moving over from The Jackson Sun. He wasn’t gonna ask tough questions or write anything negative about Stock or Massaro that would kill his access to the program before his first season as beat writer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT