ADVERTISEMENT

UNIVERSITY NEWS MT's lack of political power

TrueBlue147

All Conference
Mar 19, 2008
This is from a Q&A article in the Tennessean with House Speaker Cameron Sexton
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...iminal-justice-nashville-memphis/69791358007/

How confident are you in the House approving money for remodels at FedExForum and Liberty Stadium in Memphis?

Sexton
: "Liberty Bowl and FedExForum are used by the University of Memphis, so my big thing is trying to help them get into a power five conference. There are certain things that those conferences said that you have to upgrade, like minimum required upgrades. It'd be great for Memphis to be in the power five because that would help Tennessee and Memphis grow. The upgrades at FedEx would also help the Grizzlies, but they are not asking for a rebuild. It's all remodeling. We've done this at Neyland Stadium and a lot of different remodeling for colleges before."

Why is there no one pushing for MT to get into a power conference or making upgrading our stadium a priority. Sexton is not even from Memphis he is from Crossville. I know it's been brought up multiple times before, but it is astonishing the lack of political clout MT has.

This is from a Q&A article in the Tennessean with House Speaker Cameron Sexton
https://www.tennessean.com/story/ne...iminal-justice-nashville-memphis/69791358007/

How confident are you in the House approving money for remodels at FedExForum and Liberty Stadium in Memphis?

Sexton
: "Liberty Bowl and FedExForum are used by the University of Memphis, so my big thing is trying to help them get into a power five conference. There are certain things that those conferences said that you have to upgrade, like minimum required upgrades. It'd be great for Memphis to be in the power five because that would help Tennessee and Memphis grow. The upgrades at FedEx would also help the Grizzlies, but they are not asking for a rebuild. It's all remodeling. We've done this at Neyland Stadium and a lot of different remodeling for colleges before."

Why is there no one pushing for MT to get into a power conference or making upgrading our stadium a priority. Sexton is not even from Memphis he is from Crossville. I know it's been brought up multiple times before, but it is astonishing the lack of political clout MT has.
Great questions for the BOT and SM.

A good University President has respectability and clout to bring about change and build their school.

Gee at WVU has been around the block and is friends with Senators and Representatives across the state. Same for Marshall's who is a former CEO of Inuit which has spent millions on offices in WV. Not to mention our Governor (and the richest person in the state at $515m) is a friend, alum, and a huge donor.

McPhee has none of that and the Valpraiso fiasco is 10000% proof. MT has no one who has pockets or clout we can reach out to.

Nothing gets done in Rutherford County, or most places, until politicians are paid.

ADVERTISEMENT