ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Vandy week

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
It's been nearly a century since a vandy football team visited the campus of Middle Tennessee.

It's close to sixty years since a vandy football team beat the Raiders, and if you look on twitter or various boards, MT gets 'little' respect.

I remember in the weeks before the first game against vandy in the modern era, their fans were very active on their various boards being disrespectful of our student athletes, calling them 'subhuman' 'thugs' 'animals' etc. All the while every other month a vandy player was making the news for some violation of the law.

When time arrived for that game on their campus and the subsequent two, MT fans were badly treated, disrespected, and abused by their fans.

Hopefully MT fans will treat visiting vandy fans with hospitality instead of the vile treatment they treated MT fans to in 2001, 2002, and 2005.

Last edited:
The game in 2001 was a great day...we whipped them. We had about 1/3 of their stadium in blue - one of my best memories.

Well we are at home and we SHOULD have about 97.5% of the stadium BLUE and the rest in white witha MT on the front.

We really need to sell out this week.

GO RADIERS!!!
D-winns

Huge game for both teams.

Mason is playing for his job against MTSU. Lose to the Blue Raiders, now way he gets a 3rd year. Mason already lost to another Sun Belt team, can't lose to two of them in one season.

Not sure what to expect, but I know it will be a s*** storm if Mason loses to MTSU on Saturday.

Huge game for both teams.

Mason is playing for his job against MTSU. Lose to the Blue Raiders, now way he gets a 3rd year. Mason already lost to another Sun Belt team, can't lose to two of them in one season.

Not sure what to expect, but I know it will be a s*** storm if Mason loses to MTSU on Saturday.
Looks like you follow things really closely...

1vxHz.gif

smh I guess for mason's sake its good that he has never lost to a sun belt team

Yes he did and it wasn't even his worst loss during his short tenure. Mason has been a disaster so far, but at least he is the Defensive Coordinator this year. Mason totally thought he could be a HC in the SEC without also being the DC and that was a major fail. Mason was a great DC at Stsnford, and as bad as our record is, we do have a very good defense.

The question is, can our offense limit the mistakes that have us at 1-3 right now. We should have beaten WKU by about 20, but made some ridiculous mistakes to give the game away.

No matter what conference we're in, we're 3-0 on VU (since we went 1-a) looking win number 4 on Saturday. Vandy is already 0-1 against C-USA so I'm sure it will feel awesome to be 0-2 because we're a better complete team than WKU.

Vandy is better than nobody. All of this "we're better than you because we're the suckiest team in the best conference" is the stupidest bunch of crap I've ever heard in my life. These morons use an anchor as their symbol and just like an anchor, this team will go nowhere.

Last edited:
No matter what conference we're in, we're 3-0 on VU (since we went 1-a) looking win number 4 on Saturday. Vandy is already 0-1 against C-USA so I'm sure it will feel awesome to be 0-2 because we're a better complete team than WKU.

Vandy is better than nobody. All of this "we're better than you because we're the suckiest team in the best conference" is the stupidest bunch of crap I've ever heard in my life. These morons use an anchor as their symbol and just like an anchor, this team will go nowhere.

Deer lorde

Yes he did and it wasn't even his worst loss during his short tenure. Mason has been a disaster so far, but at least he is the Defensive Coordinator this year. Mason totally thought he could be a HC in the SEC without also being the DC and that was a major fail. Mason was a great DC at Stsnford, and as bad as our record is, we do have a very good defense.

The question is, can our offense limit the mistakes that have us at 1-3 right now. We should have beaten WKU by about 20, but made some ridiculous mistakes to give the game away.

To be fair, Western had their fair share of dropped passes and sloppiness on the offensive side of the ball as well.

Mason has always been a favorite of mine with his defenses. I'm not sure how his recruiting is going, but it looks like Mason is wanting to run a smashmouth offense, and he just doesn't have the personnel - especially on the O-Line- to run the offense he wants.

To be fair, Western had their fair share of dropped passes and sloppiness on the offensive side of the ball as well.

Mason has always been a favorite of mine with his defenses. I'm not sure how his recruiting is going, but it looks like Mason is wanting to run a smashmouth offense, and he just doesn't have the personnel - especially on the O-Line- to run the offense he wants.

WKU won, but it's hard to have watched that game and say anything other than we should have boat raced them. If you think otherwise, I will scratch you off of my intelligent human list and place you on my not worth communicating with list (I have two lists).

As for Mason he is a tremendous person and a great DC, but you can't continue to lose the way he has so far and keep your job very long.

Who is they?

Who cares, that game was a decade ago.

But, still curious who they is.

I don't care to go through all the message board threads and tweets I have seen in just the last couple of weeks to find all of those vandy fans that claim Middle Tennessee cheated... by having more than 11 players lined up. But the Anchor of Gold blog article has an example in the article and one of the comments adds to the myth that it was not just Jeremiah Weaver that blocked that punt:

excerpt: "...The Last Time We Saw These Guys: Middle Tennessee ended Jay Cutler's 4-0 start with a 12-man blocked field goal as time expired that secured a 17-15 upset win in Nashville...."

from the comments:

"They had 13 men on the field for that blocked FG, but I guess it's safer to say it was 12
They cheated is the point."

BTW, the only proof of extra men on the field I have seen is in the photo below, proving that vu players have a problem counting to 11 so I suspect so do vandy fans.

2001MTovervandy.jpg

I don't care to go through all the message board threads and tweets I have seen in just the last couple of weeks to find all of those vandy fans that claim Middle Tennessee cheated... by having more than 11 players lined up. But the Anchor of Gold blog article has an example in the article and one of the comments adds to the myth that it was not just Jeremiah Weaver that blocked that punt:

excerpt: "...The Last Time We Saw These Guys: Middle Tennessee ended Jay Cutler's 4-0 start with a 12-man blocked field goal as time expired that secured a 17-15 upset win in Nashville...."

from the comments:

"They had 13 men on the field for that blocked FG, but I guess it's safer to say it was 12
They cheated is the point."

BTW, the only proof of extra men on the field I have seen is in the photo below, proving that vu players have a problem counting to 11 so I suspect so do vandy fans.

2001MTovervandy.jpg

So in summary, a few redneck VU fans are whining about something that happened a decade ago and you make the leap that the entire fan base believes this?

Like I said, that reflects poorly on you.

I know one hundred Vandy fans and have never heard a word about this, never mind that happened a decade ago and nobody gives a s***.

Want to talk about this game?

How good is your offense / defense?

Who are your stud playmakers?

Vandy game notes indicate they have some issues recalling the history...

excerpt:

...The Commodores are looking to break a three-game losing streak
to the Blue Raiders, dating back to three closely contested games
played over the last 15 years.

Vanderbilt fell to Middle Tennessee by a total of 12 points in games
played on campus in 2001, 2002 and 2005. Before renewing the series
in 2001 after a 55-year absence, the 'Dores held a 12-0 record over the
Blue Raiders, dating back to the first game played during World War I.

The Commodores and Blue Raiders are played twice previously in
Murfreesboro, with Vanderbilt claiming wins in 1920 and 1956

Greg Pogue article corrects vandy game notes:

Pogue: MT’s Simpson knows when Vandy last came here

I remember when they all of those dudes on the field and it still wasn't enough to stop Hicks. Man, I miss Hicks. That guy was the most amazing player to watch before he got hurt. Him and Rashard Lee tore up Bama in 02 but 2001 was a great season.

As far as our players this year that are playmakers for us....

QB - Brent is playing very well. He threw 330 on Illinois last week.

Ed Batties, Richie James, Terry Pettis at WR - They all have had TD's and many yards thus far.

RB - Jordan Parker, Bryson and we get Shane Tucker back. Shane is a beast. All 3 are good RB's

LB - TT Barber. Good tackler and will knock the crap out of people. Luckett is a baller too.

S - Kevin Byard - One pick away from school record. One pick six away from being tied with Terell Buckley for the NCAA record. CUSA preseason team starter and is on other watchlists for bigger awards as well.

CB - Jeremy Cutrer - Former 4 star LSU recruit and has already been a huge boost to the secondary and has 3 picks and a kick block so far.

The OL is averaging around 6'.4" and 310 pounds. We aren't a small team anymore. Same goes on the DL. Our OL has to block better than they did vs. Illinois.

We have a lot of legit talent on this team. If we can execute like we do at home and limit mistakes, I think it will be a long day for the Dores. Regardless, it will be a great game and you have to be there. Should be a great night in JRF.

I remember when they all of those dudes on the field and it still wasn't enough to stop Hicks. Man, I miss Hicks. That guy was the most amazing player to watch before he got hurt. Him and Rashard Lee tore up Bama in 02 but 2001 was a great season.

As far as our players this year that are playmakers for us....

QB - Brent is playing very well. He threw 330 on Illinois last week.

Ed Batties, Richie James, Terry Pettis at WR - They all have had TD's and many yards thus far.

RB - Jordan Parker, Bryson and we get Shane Tucker back. Shane is a beast. All 3 are good RB's

LB - TT Barber. Good tackler and will knock the crap out of people. Luckett is a baller too.

S - Kevin Byard - One pick away from school record. One pick six away from being tied with Terell Buckley for the NCAA record. CUSA preseason team starter and is on other watchlists for bigger awards as well.

CB - Jeremy Cutrer - Former 4 star LSU recruit and has already been a huge boost to the secondary and has 3 picks and a kick block so far.

The OL is averaging around 6'.4" and 310 pounds. We aren't a small team anymore. Same goes on the DL. Our OL has to block better than they did vs. Illinois.

We have a lot of legit talent on this team. If we can execute like we do at home and limit mistakes, I think it will be a long day for the Dores. Regardless, it will be a great game and you have to be there. Should be a great night in JRF.

Nice, thanks for the overview of the team.

For Vandy:

Johnny McCrary is a 4 star recruit at QB and is now a redshirt soph. He was awful in the WKU game and the Georgia game, but the past two games, has been pretty solid. Big guy, pocket passer, with some ability to scramble.

RB is a disaster. We have three guys that run sub 5.0 forty yard dashes, but I bet it's just barely so. Ralph Webb is our starter, he's capable, but slow. Had almost 1,000 yards last year. Our OL is pretty bad too, so this is a concern.

WR - Trent Sherfield is the man. Former 4 star recruit has turned into a monster (had 16 catches for 240 yds against APSU). He's fun to watch and I bet ends up in the NFL in a few years. TEs are a strength for us and Steven Scheu is the man here.

On defense, we have a very good one. Playmakers are Adam Butler and Stephen Weatherly up front, and we have as good of a front 7 as I've seen at VU in some time. Playmakers at LB (Herring and Cunningham, waiting to get Bowden back (4 star MLB) this week hopefully) and in the secondary as well. Toren McGaster #5 at corner is turning into a real stud and the Smith brothers (Josh and Emmanuel) from Murfreesboro are starting to get on the field too.

The biggest strength of this team though, imo, is Derek Mason as the defensive coordinator. He was a disaster in 2014 (where he was JUST the head coach, and not the DC), but decided he was going to call the plays on D this year and he's the real deal. So much so, that most of our fanbase has reconsidered wanting to fire him at the end of the year. We may end up 1-11 this year and if so, Mason may be gone, but if he can get just a few wins, he'll end up keeping his job and we should be pretty good next year.

This is a big game for us and for Derek Mason. Win and the players begin believing in Mason as a head coach. Lose, and you really wonder if the players can believe in a guy who can't beat WKU or MTSU.

Last edited:
They are claiming that half of the 2005 Blue Raider squad was lined up on that blocked FG attempt.

Freeze the video from the tv coverage of the block when they move from the holder and kicker to the view from the endzone behind the defense. I count 11 players on the field. I took a picture that was more clear but don't know how to upload it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT