ADVERTISEMENT

Stock got a nice shoutout on GameDay

BlueAlpha

Blue Raider Fan
Aug 24, 2015
The trivia question was what coach(s) have the most upset wins as an underdog since ‘17? PJ Fleck & Stock. He has 14 wins as the underdog.

This is the kind of thing the administration likes to latch onto to justify this contract. But if you dig into it the reason why he’s able to produce underdog wins is because of one unexpectedly simple reason.

Inconsistency

And I you looked up the coach who has the most losses as a favorite there too would you probably find Stockstill.

Look at Games 1 and 2 as Exhibit A.

Next 4 games will tell the story. We will be underdogs in all 4. If we go 2 and 2 , I am happy! Great atmosphere last night. Long lines and no place to park are the kinds of problems that we need to have more often.
Agreed on atmosphere, feels like the biggest crowd we've had in a WHILE.

But regarding the next 4, I won't be happy with 2 and 2. Because in my mind, conference championships are the minimum standard. Losing 2 conference games right out of the gate puts us in a early hole for winning the division, ESPECIALLY if one of those losses is to WKU.

Losing to Miami, while keeping the deficit "respectable" and not suffering major injury losses, and winning all 3 of those first conference games, and I will be somewhat satisfied.

Honestly, I will not be "happy" until we're raising that Conference USA trophy on Friday, December 2nd. That is THE only goal, period. Everything else positive that happens is just gravy.

Honestly, I will not be "happy" until we're raising that Conference USA trophy on Friday, December 2nd. That is THE only goal, period. Everything else positive that happens is just gravy.
I've thought some about the "auto-extensions".

This might sound like a razor thin line, but I think 7-6 would be easier to take than 6-6. 7-6 is a winning record, it's a bowl trip - and those are achievable, reasonable goals for a "good" season for a team at MT's level. Not a great one, not a legendary season, but a good season.

The major problem we face is that the powers that be don't appear to differentiate between 6-6 and a conference title. There's absolutely no incentive to try and win a championship. Once you hit that 6-wins, the season is for all intents and purposes, over. Mission accomplished - kick back, collect your check, polish up that APR, collect a few 6-win level recruits, and our work is done here.

I wouldn't have a huge problem with a 4 year rolling contract, every time you hit 7 wins with a winning record, you get a year tacked on. (6 years to 2028 is insane). Incentivize big bonuses for title game appearances, wins, rival wins - things that matter to the fan base.

But ultimately, the MT AD needs to figure out a way to promote the idea that a conference championship is the goal, and spread that out to the fan base if you want to get them back.

If you try to win a title and fail, the fan base will forgive you and come back. What you can't do is not try.

Reactions: Hop45
Hope it caught the eye of some ADs of lower level P5 schools and they remember that when they are doing their coach searches.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
This might sound like a razor thin line, but I think 7-6 would be easier to take than 6-6. 7-6 is a winning record, it's a bowl trip - and those are achievable, reasonable goals for a "good" season for a team at MT's level. Not a great one, not a legendary season, but a good season.
7-6 seasons are good....when you are in your first 3 or so years as a HC of a team, especially for teams who haven't been to bowl games consistently, as you "build your program."

But when you are on year 17 of a HC of a program at the G5 level, the minimum expectation in my mind is that you've already won 5+ outright conference championships, and in our tenure in C-USA, appeared in 6-7 championship games, AND since we're talking about 17 years, at least 2 appearances in a NY6 bowl game.

We're not talking about mid-level P5 programs, or service academies. We're competing with the WKU's, the UAB's, the Marshall's, etc. Those programs have won multiple championships around us for all these years, and those coaches move up, or move out when they're not successful in doing so. We are at that level, that is what our standard should be.

And what do we have to show for it? One truly memorable season (13 years ago at this point), with 3 bowl trophies, 9 bowl losses, 1 conference championship game appearance with an embarrassing loss, a few years in the NFL for most of the guys that even make it, and one all-pro, whom to my knowledge hasn't donated a DIME back to the program despite being one of the highest paid players at his position.

I've thought some about the "auto-extensions".

The major problem we face is that the powers that be don't appear to differentiate between 6-6 and a conference title. There's absolutely no incentive to try and win a championship. Once you hit that 6-wins, the season is for all intents and purposes, over. Mission accomplished - kick back, collect your check, polish up that APR, collect a few 6-win level recruits, and our work is done here.

I wouldn't have a huge problem with a 4 year rolling contract, every time you hit 7 wins with a winning record, you get a year tacked on. (6 years to 2028 is insane). Incentivize big bonuses for title game appearances, wins, rival wins - things that matter to the fan base.

But ultimately, the MT AD needs to figure out a way to promote the idea that a conference championship is the goal, and spread that out to the fan base if you want to get them back.

If you try to win a title and fail, the fan base will forgive you and come back. What you can't do is not try.

An automatic extension and automatic pay raise is ludicrous for anything except for major achievements like conference championship, finishing in the top 25, making the access bowl (when the new 12 team playoff goes into effect being in that). Those are things that should trigger automatic incentives. Why? Because it's not necessary. If you decide after a few seven win seasons you want to extend your coaches contract you do it. You don't incentivize a coach to meet just winning seasons.

I actually don't mind the premise of the auto extension. It's actually something that's kind of novel. But it should be reserved for major accomplishments, because you're basically giving a coach an additional million dollars for that accomplishment. Most financial based incentives within coaching contracts reward coaches at the G5 level in the $50K to $100K range for winning a conference title. We freaking reward our coach with a million dollars just for a . 500 season. It's difficult to accept. It would be easier to accept if - when you looked at Stock's performance - he mixed in a great season with a conference title every once in a while, but it's pretty much a . 500 season every year.

Year after year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT