ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL What is missing?

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
So we've all seen the posts of former players saying Stock did more with less. He was hamstrung. Etc etc.

I do my part. Go to games when I can. Support BuildBlue. Member of BRAA. Buy merch. I've never seen the football offices (which have been compared to "high school stuff" or locker rooms or anything like that. Haven't been in the press box since 2001 or Murphy since 2002.

What did the admin not do to support Stock to the point that some have brought up West's speech when leaving Memphis. Not counting NIL as it is fairly new. But overall, what are we missing that needs committed to besides facilities? Yes they are late but they are coming. What are we missing? Help me understand. I know a lot of this is loyalty to Stock but even the media is saying the same thing. He wasn't fully supported.

What did he not get?

They're just running their head right now...if it was so bad. he could've quit a long time ago. All I see is a walkon and trash ass qb talking the most. I've been at a lot G5, FCS and P5 schools from 2018 until last year. Yes the facilities were behind, but everything else was comparable except the product on the field. You didn't really see the coaches here in the metro area like days of old with Coach Bebee. You have prep school and high schools coaches and former players trying to get in touch with the staff and they wouldn't respond. You saw the size difference in conference let alone against other G5 and P5 schools. So no, he had 18 years to get it right.

Last edited:
All of this complaining about facilities is suspiciously silent about the millions of dollars of investment the university has made in athletics recently, especially through the Build Blue campaign... the $66m Student Athlete Performance Center, for example. But hey, yeah, it's everyone else's fault the team couldn't win big games and make an impact. As if Western Michigan, Ball State, Troy, Marshall, etc. -- these teams who have had amazing seasons and made names for themselves in recent years - have these incredible facilities that ours don't even sniff. All of these excuses they keep making for being "Mid Middle" don't come close to making one 8+ win season over 18 years acceptable.

So we've all seen the posts of former players saying Stock did more with less. He was hamstrung. Etc etc.

I do my part. Go to games when I can. Support BuildBlue. Member of BRAA. Buy merch. I've never seen the football offices (which have been compared to "high school stuff" or locker rooms or anything like that. Haven't been in the press box since 2001 or Murphy since 2002.

What did the admin not do to support Stock to the point that some have brought up West's speech when leaving Memphis. Not counting NIL as it is fairly new. But overall, what are we missing that needs committed to besides facilities? Yes they are late but they are coming. What are we missing? Help me understand. I know a lot of this is loyalty to Stock but even the media is saying the same thing. He wasn't fully supported.

What did he not get?
Just ignore all those morons. We saw the product Boots put on the field in comparison to our conference mates at the time. We saw how inferior our talent and coaching was under CRS against our current conference mates. CRS was not worth what he’s been paid over the last dozen years. We’re not stupid.

Exactly. Budget. Pay. You can't tell me he tried to recruit local because those HS coaches have said he didn't. Look at the missed D1 talent that instead we got FCS guys. And it showed size wise.

Salary wise, Polly made $105k. Toledo's OL coach made $113k. NMSU $130k. Jax $112k. It's not like we are super far off. We could easily squeeze what Jax 8-4 and Toledo 10-2 pay.
Heck Toledo's OL coach that only makes $113k is coOC. Their other OC makes $124k. Mitch makes $200k here. We are comparable to our peers salary pool wise.

Facilities. Troy doesn't have an IPF. They do have a nice version of our SAPC. UAB has a canopy.

I fully admit I'm not a football player to know all details of what is needed, but I don't get it.

The SAPC should have been built 10+ years ago. Same for IPF. Both would have resolved some of the issues they are alluding to.

Even McPhee admitted at Build Blue Launch that he underestimated the importance of facilities. The limited size of the cave under the MC limited staff size.

There is a REAL argument that Stock was hamstrung by admin but Stock also shot himself in the foot with refusal to move on from assts, staff hires, not engaging community, etc.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Stock the man. He impacted me as a student of the game and coaches. But it was time.

I wish him the best in next venture

Last edited:
I’ve been hearing a lot of people talk about how much Rick loved the university. I don’t buy that at all. If he really “loved” MT he would have negotiated a settlement, retired and went out gracefully. Instead he ensured he was forced out so he could collect 5 million. I don’t blame him I would probably do the same thing. I honestly think the gift of 500k to Build Blue was him trying to placate the admin and make the optics look bad if he was fired. I get it but I’m not going to parade him around like he loved this university more than any of us because the evidence shows he cared about his own pocket the most.

I’ve been hearing a lot of people talk about how much Rick loved the university. I don’t buy that at all. If he really “loved” MT he would have negotiated a settlement, retired and went out gracefully. Instead he ensured he was forced out so he could collect 5 million. I don’t blame him I would probably do the same thing. I honestly think the gift of 500k to Build Blue was him trying to placate the admin and make the optics look bad if he was fired. I get it but I’m not going to parade him around like he loved this university more than any of us because the evidence shows he cared about his own pocket the most.

100%

Reactions: RaiderDeez
I don’t get all of the boo hooing as if this firing was terrible for Rick. Weirdest thing I’ve seen in a long time regarding a coaching change.

We can all only hope we get millions for getting canned. Also that our boss is a wreck …

Puleeeze

I honestly think the gift of 500k to Build Blue was him trying to placate the admin and make the optics look bad if he was fired.

Stockstill is definitely a Machiavellian schemer.

Just look at the way he stocked his coaching staff with cronies, yes men, and his long time friends. He recruited kids who had no place else to go, because they'd be loyal to him over the university. He fired virtually no one for on-field incompetence.

At the end of the day, he put his desires and needs and wants not only above, but to the detriment of the program he was hired to lead.

Good F'n Riddance, and the only dopes on twitter defending this move are the bums that should never have been on 'ship at an FBS university in the first place.

Stockstill is definitely a Machiavellian schemer.

Just look at the way he stocked his coaching staff with cronies, yes men, and his long time friends. He recruited kids who had no place else to go, because they'd be loyal to him over the university. He fired virtually no one for on-field incompetence.

At the end of the day, he put his desires and needs and wants not only above, but to the detriment of the program he was hired to lead.

Good F'n Riddance, and the only dopes on twitter defending this move are the bums that should never have been on 'ship at an FBS university in the first place.
I suspected pretty quickly that the half mill gift was part a quid pro quo type of deal. Explains the back dating and reworking his contract awhile back all the way to 2019 where the contract extensions initially ended and were amazing picked up again.

Reactions: Hop45
Sidney McPhee is missing. I may have missed it but no statement, quote or anything from him. With his big involvement in some recent coaching changes it seems a bit odd.

Reactions: C-Bow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT