ADVERTISEMENT

A Thank You Note

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
I want to thank Coach Stockstill for what he did do for MT. I know some may scoff because of the contract but a) he did what all of us would do in getting the best deal we could; and b) there is no question he gave his heart to this program.

That said, I tried hard to refrain from using the F work with respect to Stockstill even though it was clear the direction of the program was not going to change if he stayed longer. I spoke in other ways, but I (and I think many of us) would be remiss to show some gratitude for what he did. Therefore, I would like to say thank you to Coach Stock for giving his all - his heart and soul - to MT. I thank him for pulling us out of the APR graveyard McCollum left us in. I thank him for getting us to our first bowl as a I-A program, our first bowl win as a I-A program which remains one of the funnest trips I've taken.

Most of all I thank you Coach for being a Incredible representative for us degree holders and instilling the same in the players you brought to the school. Best wishes in the next chapter!

Did good things here, but overstayed his welcome.

Indeed. But good for him. He made life changing money over the last 18 years. I'm sure he will negotiate a nice large lump sum of money, at least 2-3 million, from his buyout....then move on to his next job.

It sounds like he definitely wants to continue coaching. I'm very curious to see where he ends up. He would be an appealing candidate for a school that is a perennial loser. He has demonstrated the ability to field respectable teams with basically FCS talent. So he could go somewhere like UL-Monroe and probably win 6-8 games at some point which would be amazing for them.

I honestly think the perfect landing spot for Stock is a place like Morehead State. They just fired their HC.

Non-scholarship FCS football. Players wanting to play D1, but can’t get a scholarship. A players coach. Everyone in conference on an even playing field. I think he could do a great job there for 4 or 5 years, then retire. I could see him competing for and maybe winning that conference and earning a FCS playoff bid through that path.

I honestly think the perfect landing spot for Stock is a place like Morehead State. They just fired their HC.

Non-scholarship FCS football. Players wanting to play D1, but can’t get a scholarship. A players coach. Everyone in conference on an even playing field. I think he could do a great job there for 4 or 5 years, then retire. I could see him competing for and maybe winning that conference and earning a FCS playoff bid through that path.
He’s familiar with FCS-level talent 😜

He will be fine. He's made enough to retire or work another five years. Some places are at a point they'd be happy with 6-7 wins. We were that at one point. We've just grown past that. I've called him names and called for his firing. That's the fan in me. I don't have any ill will towards him personally. I can't when I've never met the man.

He will be fine. He's made enough to retire or work another five years. Some places are at a point they'd be happy with 6-7 wins. We were that at one point. We've just grown past that. I've called him names and called for his firing. That's the fan in me. I don't have any ill will towards him personally. I can't when I've never met the man.
I’ve talked with him and he is genuinely a nice guy. I wish him well but I don’t feel sorry for him. If he really cared he would have resigned. Too much money on the table so it was a money grab which speaks volumes to me about how much he cares about MTSU. Not that I blame him but a lot of people paraded him as someone who only cared about what was best for the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT