ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Still no news on an OC?

Doesn't matter what offense we run one of two things is going to happen.

1) We finally started to develop an O-Line but now they decided to leave. So, logic would dictate we will have an awful OL like we have had for the better part of the past decade. So, given that Chase will have to rely on his quick release or risk getting killed and the results will be mixed depending on who we play and match up with their DL.

2) They somehow find suitable replacements for the OL. If they do Chase is going to light it up. And as stated doesn't matter what philosophy is being run. He's legit and the best QB we've had this side of Brent.

Those are interesting stat lines and I’m curious what wrinkles he picked up.

Apparently Mitch has been following Chris Hatcher around for 20 years since he played QB for him at Valdosta St. Hatcher was one of Mumme/Leach’s first air raid QBs at Valdosta and followed them to Kentucky. So it appears like a pure Air Raid.

However, Hatcher/Stewart seem to have started using power running game at Georgia Southern and have added the RPO & Zone Read/Option over time. Apparently, it’s more in line with what Dana Holgorsen did at WVU or does now at Houston.

58% passing would make us the 8th most pass happy team in FBS the last 3 years, but it’s way off the Leach / Mumme pace.

It sounds like it will be similar to TF’s offense but the wrinkles will be different. Excited to see what he can do.
IIRC, TF had some zone read stuff with Dasher way back in 2009 and I'm pretty sure there was a zone read element with O'Hara a few years ago.

RPO concepts are found throughout the AirRaid family (the Briles "variant" is full of RPOs, along with some power run game). And, as you've pointed out, guys like Neal Brown are far more balanced and almost "spread to run" than some of the earliest, pure Air Raid coaches like Leach.

My interest is peaked a bit with a new offense. As others have pointed out the Air Raid has almost become a general term with lots of variants to that. If it's a true Mike Leach type Air Raid, I'm pretty sure that is what Tony Franklin's offense was supposed to be focused on since he was in the middle of that in the early days.

My biggest concern with a pass heavy offense is the impact to the defensive. A few quick 3 and outs and the defense is back on the field. It won't be long before the lack of depth on defense shows up and they get worn down. On the flip side, with an explosive offense, you aren't really out of a game even when you are down 21 points.

Pick your poison I guess. I would prefer a more balanced attack to adjust on the flow of the game.

My interest is peaked a bit with a new offense. As others have pointed out the Air Raid has almost become a general term with lots of variants to that. If it's a true Mike Leach type Air Raid, I'm pretty sure that is what Tony Franklin's offense was supposed to be focused on since he was in the middle of that in the early days.

My biggest concern with a pass heavy offense is the impact to the defensive. A few quick 3 and outs and the defense is back on the field. It won't be long before the lack of depth on defense shows up and they get worn down. On the flip side, with an explosive offense, you aren't really out of a game even when you are down 21 points.

Pick your poison I guess. I would prefer a more balanced attack to adjust on the flow of the game.
I wonder if we will see more Air Raid teams slow it down for the first 3-4 snaps of each possessions. Milk the clock before going to NASCAR tempo (which Franklin didn’t do as much during his 2nd stint At MT).

Reactions: Raiders_55
Hard to win if you don't have a decent OL. I like the air raid....we sure as heck sign enough receivers to do it.

I wish we had a gimmick like the Tri option but that takes a specific type of QB. For CUSA, an air raid sets up up for success if you can keep your D from being winded.

I hope he is successful here. Maybe he pulls some late signees? Do we have room?

Hard to win if you don't have a decent OL. I like the air raid....we sure as heck sign enough receivers to do it.

I wish we had a gimmick like the Tri option but that takes a specific type of QB. For CUSA, an air raid sets up up for success if you can keep your D from being winded.

I hope he is successful here. Maybe he pulls some late signees? Do we have room?
I despise the traditional triple option.

However, I'd love to see someone mix the Air Raid passing attack with triple-option run principles. Quite frankly, you can ALMOST consider the Air Raid with RPO a "triple option attack" with the RB on dive, QB on keep, & a bubble to perimeter as the toss.

If memory serves correct, Willie Fritz did some triple option out of the gun at SHSU around 2010 or so. Fun to watch, it was.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue

However, I'd love to see someone mix the Air Raid passing attack with triple-option run principles. Quite frankly, you can ALMOST consider the Air Raid with RPO a "triple option attack" with the RB on dive, QB on keep, & a bubble to perimeter as the toss.

If memory serves correct, Willie Fritz did some triple option out of the gun at SHSU around 2010 or so. Fun to watch, it was.
I just think about the wildcat and how fun it was to beat down fau a couple years ago when Brent was hurt. I love keeping defenses guessing when you just run and flip the ball. Maybe my days of backyard football are in full swing.

What you describe above sounds like fun football.

Until the focus is on building the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, all the receivers, backs, quarterbacks, whatever we can recruit won't make a hill of beans. The game is still won at the line. RPO, triple option, whatever the OC dreams up will not work until we have men on the offensive line who can hold a block.
Mallory ain't getting it done.

Reactions: AustinLewis

Just look at Tulane and Coastal, that is what they do. Triple Option out the gun, it puts some much pressure on the defense.

Until the focus is on building the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, all the receivers, backs, quarterbacks, whatever we can recruit won't make a hill of beans. The game is still won at the line. RPO, triple option, whatever the OC dreams up will not work until we have men on the offensive line who can hold a block.
Mallory ain't getting it done.

Quoted for emphasis.

And once we get them recruited here....we kind of need to keep them here and not let them transfer out to Power 5 programs

Just look at Tulane and Coastal, that is what they do. Triple Option out the gun, it puts some much pressure on the defense.
Tulane makes sense. Fritz is the HC there.
I’m not overly familiar with Coastal but I do enjoy watching them

I’ve decided to step away for a bit. I unsubscribed to all of the MT email lists this morning after getting 3 requests for money. One from BRAA, one from a student and another from the Dean at Jennings Jones.

I wish them well but massive change is needed.
We got the same three as well.

I saw where we were told put our money where our mouths are about MT Athletics. I did that and my ROI was squat.

We've stepped away as well. We had to force our kid just to tour Middle. She chose out of state.

I’ve decided to step away for a bit. I unsubscribed to all of the MT email lists this morning after getting 3 requests for money. One from BRAA, one from a student and another from the Dean at Jennings Jones.

I wish them well but massive change is needed.
Additionally I got a request to give to the campaign from Beverly Keel, Dean of the Media and Entertainment Dept. It's her department (she may not have been chair at the time) which showed the most disregard for and contempt of MT supporters, alumni, and athletic fans when 89.5 dropped FB and Men's BkB.

This move denied most of the mid-state one connection to the school which had been there for several decades. If I was a big donor you can be sure this would not have happened if the school wanted my continued support. Since I'm a little donor they won't miss me not participating in the current campaign.

So Mitch Stewart is the new OC. He was Samford's OC. They went 4-7. However, they put up 52 on Florida and took ETSU into overtime. ETSU was damn good in 2021. They beat Vandy 20-3. It's a better pedigree than Dearmon had when he came in. That dude won 1 game in 2 seasons with KU. Not an exciting hire at all but Brent will have more input which will help. Brent would have been a better hire IMO. This guy is basic.

Did Polly and Mallory flip roles? I think they did. Even Stock could see how bad he was as the OL coach. For the first time since 2010, one person will now coach the OL. Mallory goes back to just coaching TE's and H-Backs. Interesting move.

Brent being the QB coach and passing game coordinator makes 100% sense. He really took over in that role mid season last year. Tucker being the WR coach makes sense too.

The D will be fully depleted now. It will be a rough year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT