ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Still no news on an OC?

Sommy

All Conference
Aug 2, 2001
Disappointing they can't even get the PR side of it to keep fans engaged. Seems like we all expect Little Stock, so just name him.

Why does it take so long???

Seems pretty silly as I'm willing to bet Stock has had his mind made up for weeks now.

This is why people hate government bureaucratic BS. They can't even let a state school hire it's employees without stupid @$$ rules and regulations.

Reactions: MTsumner92
Why does it take so long???

Seems pretty silly as I'm willing to bet Stock has had his mind made up for weeks now.

This is why people hate government bureaucratic BS. They can't even let a state school hire it's employees without stupid @$$ rules and regulations.
Well according to the Phil Williams nepotism piece, if Brent is promoted to OC, he reports directly to Massaro, not daddy. So technically it is not Stocks’s hire.

I have resolved in my head that this is what is going to happen.

It is a strange predicament. It is probably a good X/O hire. Brent Stockstill probably knows the Rick Stockstill methods combined with his own acumen to potentially be a great coach.

However, it is wrong. It feels strange because it is strange. Maybe they hire someone else but the silence is deafening. We don't have any media coverage to give a crap.

It will depend on who applied for the job. If someone with clearly better credentials than Brent applies, they will have to give them the job.

make no mistake though, if Brent is the most qualified or about the same as others who applied, and they feel they can get away with it, Brent will be the hir

essentially, they will do everything they can to make it Brent unless someone much more qualified applies for the job and they have no choice but to hire them

I’m fully expecting Brent to be named OC

Reactions: FranklinRaider315
It will depend on who applied for the job. If someone with clearly better credentials than Brent applies, they will have to give them the job.

make no mistake though, if Brent is the most qualified or about the same as others who applied, and they feel they can get away with it, Brent will be the hir

essentially, they will do everything they can to make it Brent unless someone much more qualified applies for the job and they have no choice but to hire them

I’m fully expecting Brent to be named OC
This would be just another action from an attitude that, whether real or perceived, is why I choose to stay away until there are major changes. My only recourse is to vote with my feet and my wallet. Sad that things have come to this.

Reactions: BRaiderDave
Even if it is Brent, they can't name the OC until the posting closes.
FWIW, the job posting closes on March 2. It does, however, state "for optimal consideration, please apply by Jan 26."

I know a situation (at another CUSA athletic program) where the hire was made & the hire was already working in the office when interviews were being conducted for the open position.

So, it would not surprise me if any new staff members are already in place and working very quietly.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
We have our guy identified but it may be several weeks until it is official.

Joe was maybe the best running back we have ever had! Talk about someone who could make people miss. Does Joe coach football?

He was selected to coach an arena football team but it was during covid so not sure how that went down.

Man, it would be a big story if he did though.

According to Footballscoop it will be Mitch Stewart, the OC from Samford and former Murray State head coach.

Just doing a quick search of his history and he seems to have led some very productive offenses as an OC. He put 52 on the Gators last year and his QB set records at Murray State, while he was the OC.

If you adjust his numbers, due to stockflation, we may win 7 games with him.

This looks like a good hire on paper. An experienced coach with offensive success and ties all over the South for recruiting.

Interestingly, I noticed he was the OC- receivers coach at Sanford. I wonder if that he will do the same here and they move Brent to QB.

Looks like a solid hire imo. That Samford vs Florida game was a shootout. They only had one game with less than 27 points. They scored over 40 six times. Hopefully he does that here.

This looks like a good hire on paper. An experienced coach with offensive success and ties all over the South for recruiting.

Interestingly, I noticed he was the OC- receivers coach at Sanford. I wonder if that he will do the same here and they move Brent to QB.
I think you’re right. Brent likely loves to QB.

His wiki page has already updated. Looks like he had a tough stint at Murray as a head coach.

His wiki page has already updated. Looks like he had a tough stint at Murray as a head coach.
Read somewhere Murray State isn't supporting football like they used to. Can't speak to the validity of the report b/c I'm not too familiar with that program.

But he's being hired to be OC, not HC. Some guys are better coordinators than HC.

Read somewhere Murray State isn't supporting football like they used to. Can't speak to the validity of the report b/c I'm not too familiar with that program.

But he's being hired to be OC, not HC. Some guys are better coordinators than HC.
The Racers definitely love their basketball. In the last 9 years they’ve had 3 PG’s drafted. 2 in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd round. The most recent is an All-Star game starter and League MVP candidate. I think WKU fans support their football better.

The Racers definitely love their basketball. In the last 9 years they’ve had 3 PG’s drafted. 2 in the 1st and 1 in the 2nd round. The most recent is an All-Star game starter and League MVP candidate. I think WKU fans support their football better.
As someone who used to live in BG (and in the shadow of their football stadium), that hasn't always been the case.

The success under Brohm transformed the fanbase.

As someone who used to live in BG (and in the shadow of their football stadium), that hasn't always been the case.

The success under Brohm transformed the fanbase.
Yet somehow, our leadership has managed to alienate and nearly eliminate the fan support for BOTH Men’s revenue sports. Maybe, just maybe CNM can pull off an outright CUSA title in Year 4. That would be something our Head FB Coach hasn’t achieved in 16 seasons.

Yet somehow, our leadership has managed to alienate and nearly eliminate the fan support for BOTH Men’s revenue sports. Maybe, just maybe CNM can pull off an outright CUSA title in Year 4. That would be something our Head FB Coach hasn’t achieved in 16 seasons.
That is a lot more likely to happen than any of us thought it would be at the beginning of the season.

I can get on board with this hire. I've always been a fan of hiring successful FCS/D2 coaches up into the FBS ranks. I think he can be successful here. I do wonder what type of personnel he likes to run and what his plans are for his offense here at MT. I'm guessing we will go back to more 4 and 5 wide sets and not utilize TE and H back positions like Dearmon did. I really did like how Dearmon brought in all those big boys in goal line situations, I hope we continue to do that.

My biggest concern with Air Raid is always an ability to run the football. Philosophy wise I've always been a run first kind of guy which then opens up the pass. But at the G5 level you can still be successful throwing it 50 times a game.

I wonder what the future is for the H-backs and TE's we recruited under Dearmon. Thinking about what's going to happen to a guy like Taharin Sudderth if we go away from using TE's again.

Guess we'll see. Curious to see and hear some interviews from the new OC. I wanna hear what his plans are for the MT offense. He still has to be officially announced of course.

Reactions: coachchia
I just hope he sticks around. We've got multiple young QBs that need the stability to improve. I guess that makes Brent moving to QBs even smarter.

Reactions: C-Bow
I can get on board with this hire. I've always been a fan of hiring successful FCS/D2 coaches up into the FBS ranks. I think he can be successful here. I do wonder what type of personnel he likes to run and what his plans are for his offense here at MT. I'm guessing we will go back to more 4 and 5 wide sets and not utilize TE and H back positions like Dearmon did. I really did like how Dearmon brought in all those big boys in goal line situations, I hope we continue to do that.

My biggest concern with Air Raid is always an ability to run the football. Philosophy wise I've always been a run first kind of guy which then opens up the pass. But at the G5 level you can still be successful throwing it 50 times a game.

I wonder what the future is for the H-backs and TE's we recruited under Dearmon. Thinking about what's going to happen to a guy like Taharin Sudderth if we go away from using TE's again.

Guess we'll see. Curious to see and hear some interviews from the new OC. I wanna hear what his plans are for the MT offense. He still has to be officially announced of course.
If it’s a true air raid, expect a bad year of offense. Mike Leach has said repeatedly that it takes 2-3 years to implement his system. It takes a lot of repetition because at its core it’s a very simple offense. It has “answers” built into it for every D, but it requires better than average execution. And it’s not a down the field offense. It’s really a ball control, with a ton of short / intermediate passes looking for breaking tackles or a busted coverage. And you are right, the running backs are pass catch in a true air raid. Some running but not the emphasis at all.

It can be frustrating to watch during the install years. Now this may not be a true committed air raid like Leach and he may be more will to adapt during the transition years, but I can say from watching / being associated with the air raid that it takes to to implement it if it’s the pure raid.

I should add, I like the hire. I think he is a good offensive mind. I just don’t know if he is a true air raid disciple (takes time to implement) versus using air raid principles. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:
If it’s a true air raid, expect a bad year of offense. Mike Leach has said repeatedly that it takes 2-3 years to implement his system. It takes a lot of repetition because at its core it’s a very simple offense. It has “answers” built into it for every D, but it requires better than average execution. And it’s not a down the field offense. It’s really a ball control, with a ton of short / intermediate passes looking for breaking tackles or a busted coverage. And you are right, the running backs are pass catch in a true air raid. Some running but not the emphasis at all.

It can be frustrating to watch during the install years. Now this may not be a true committed air raid like Leach and he may be more will to adapt during the transition years, but I can say from watching / being associated with the air raid that it takes to to implement it if it’s the pure raid.

I should add, I like the hire. I think he is a good offensive mind. I just don’t know if he is a true air raid disciple (takes time to implement) versus using air raid principles. Will be interesting to see.

Well he came into Samford and made an instant impact. So I am looking/hoping for him to do the same here.

We will need to get the OL figured out, since 3 of our young up and coming starters decided to transfer out to perceived greener pastures which gutted the unit. Such a shame.

A couple of thoughts in response :

1) Correct : AirRaid offenses do get rolling good by year 2-3 (see TF's 3rd year at Cal, Leach's offense at TTU, WSU, and MSU)
2) It is impossible to see an immediate impact in year 1 of installing the Air Raid. TF made immediate impact in the first year of his tenure in 2009 & when he returned in 2016. Josh Huepel's version of the AirRaid made a pretty immediate impact on the UTK offense.
3) MT ran the AirRaid with TF the year before Dearmon's arrival. The players (and coaches) who were present during TF's tenure should pick up offense relatively quickly.

But, as you pointed out, there are so many variations of the AirRaid at this point with so many guys putting their own spin on the offense.

Looking at some box scores from last year @ Samford he definitely favors the pass over the run. Depending on the game he was throwing more than 70% of the time, and he ran his QB a ton. Their QB, Liam Welch, carried the ball 111 times for 515 yards (4.6ypc) across 11 games. Looks like Samford was in a ton of high scoring, close, nail-biter type games last year. Nearly every game they played had a final score of less than a TD, pretty wild.

Here at MT he will have a better defense to couple with his offense. Not sure if he will want to slow his tempo down or change his play calling philosophy much, but I sure would like to see a more run heavy attack with a strong emphasis on ball control and dictating the flow of the game to the opponent, especially if we are ahead.

He definitely doesn't throw it every down though, and I suspect if he had a better defense and maybe played with a lead more often he would call more run plays which hopefully we will see. Would love to see a balanced attack closer to 50/50 run/pass and not so pass heavy. Kyle Lowe is going to have an opportunity to really be something if this guy sticks around and has the same success Liam Welch had @ Samford.

Hopefully we sign him to a multi-year deal. Really not a fan of changing coordinators every other year.

Last edited:
His offense averaged 307 passing yds per game and 141 rushing yds per game. He passed the ball 58.3% of the time.

Those are interesting stat lines and I’m curious what wrinkles he picked up.

Apparently Mitch has been following Chris Hatcher around for 20 years since he played QB for him at Valdosta St. Hatcher was one of Mumme/Leach’s first air raid QBs at Valdosta and followed them to Kentucky. So it appears like a pure Air Raid.

However, Hatcher/Stewart seem to have started using power running game at Georgia Southern and have added the RPO & Zone Read/Option over time. Apparently, it’s more in line with what Dana Holgorsen did at WVU or does now at Houston.

58% passing would make us the 8th most pass happy team in FBS the last 3 years, but it’s way off the Leach / Mumme pace.

It sounds like it will be similar to TF’s offense but the wrinkles will be different. Excited to see what he can do.

Reactions: ewglenn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT