ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Preseason Media Poll Is Out

MidTennMtneer

All American
Nov 13, 2013
I'll be honest. I won't fuss in the least for 4th spot as that would put us in the 6-6/7-5 realm. For CDM's first year, I would have zero complaints with that.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'll be honest. I won't fuss in the least for 4th spot as that would put us in the 6-6/7-5 realm. For CDM's first year, I would have zero complaints with that.

That's much better than I was expecting. I would like to see it, but I am keeping expections low this year.

I think you definitely take a 4th place finish in year one. Non trench talent is really good IMO, but it's going to come down to how good the trenches can be that determines where they end up

I think we have a deceptively good roster. We definitely lost some good players to the portal/graduation, but because we weren't a good team we didn't get completely gutted.

I think our 1's on both sides of the ball will be able to play with anybody outside the top 15. As long as we don't have major injuries I think we'll have a chance in every game we play assuming we have competent OC/DC/Special teams coaching and execution. Still a lot of question marks in my opinion with this new OC/DC. I'm not convinced they will be better than what we had before (Shafer and Stewart), but we'll see. Nothing we can do about it.

I'm looking at guys like Tyrell Raby, Marvae Myers, Damonte Smith, Jalen Jackson and Gamarion Carter to step up and turn a lot of heads. Jalen Jackson started a lot of games throughout his career and was always pretty good when healthy. We get him back for a graduate year and hopefully fully healthy. Him and Raby should have the corners locked down. Marvae Myers has always been good but struggled to secure a starting spot because of competition at safety.

Damonte Smith is a force to be reckoned with inside. And Shakai Woods showed flashes in the trenches as well in his limited play time (dude is huge!). I could see us having some surprisingly good tackle play on the defensive side of the ball. Still suspect of our DE's, especially if we have any injuries there, but inside we should be good. Teams will not be running between the tackles against us.

I feel good about defense personally assuming our DC is not a bonehead. Mason's background is defense so he can always take over I guess. For special teams, have to think Luke will have them ready to play after an excellent stint with special teams at U-LaLa. We are totally fine at PK and Punter (Some of the best in the conference actually)

That puts all eyes on the offense. How much of a leash will Vattiato have? Rumors are Richesson and Gagliano have had great camps. I could easily see Mason wanting some more size at the position if we have any struggles. I do think it would be a mistake though. Vattiato is an excellent player. We are loaded at RB, but OL is always a big question mark when you're a G5. Couldn't tell you the last time we had an imposing OL. Will they be able to block anybody so our RB's can actually shine ? We might be throwing a lot of screens....

WR looks pretty thin to my eyes. We lost a lot at the position but also brought in a few new faces. Assuming with the new offense we don't need or use as many WR's as before, so we might be okay there if they can find 3-4 good ones. Stupid amount of TE's on the roster, surely a few of them can play.

Without looking at everyone's schedule and doing intense analysis, overall, I can see a 4th place finish. We will have to stay healthy and see the ball bounce our way, but it's well within reach. CUSA is a very weak conference in my opinion with only WKU and Liberty consistently fielding respectable teams. Jacksonville State trying to add their name to that list but they are gonna have to show me something for a few seasons before I put them on the top shelf. The rest of the conference is a predictable dice roll year in, year out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT