ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL NCAA Tournament: Middle Tennessee vs Syracuse (TNT), 5:10PM, Sunday, 3/20/2016

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
goblueraiders.com:

SIGHTS SET ON THE SWEET 16

GAME INFORMATION
(Full Game Notes)

Hashtag: #TrueFamily, #BlueRaiders
Twitter: MT_MBB
Instagram: @MT_MBB
Facebook: Blue Raider Athletics

Date: Sunday, March 20
Time: 5:10 p.m.
Teams: No. 15 Middle Tennessee (25-9, 13-5 C-USA) vs. No. 10 Syracuse (20-13, 9-9 ACC)
Arena: Scottrade Center (19,150)
Radio:WGNS (1450/100.5/101.9), WPRT (97.5/102.5), WMOT (89.5)
Play-by-Play: Chip Walters
Analysis: Kyle Turnham
TV: CBS - every thing I have seen indicates TNT
TV Talent: Brian Anderson (PxP), Steve Smith (analysis) and Dana Jacobson (sideline reporter)

Live Stats

Should be another friendly crowd in STL. That's a great thing about having a lower seed - pretty much everyone except the team you're playing against wants you to win.

Syracuse -6.5 thus far

excerpt:

...The Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders shoot for another upset when they oppose the Syracuse Orange in round two of the NCAA’s.

The Syracuse Orange were not even expected to get an NCAA invitation so they played with a chip on their shoulder in dismantling Dayton 70-51 in round one. The Orange were up two at the break before dominating the final 20 minutes 40-23 to win going away. The Cuse won with defense as the Flyers were held to just 32% while the Orange connected at 39.6% for three more baskets with eleven more free throws. Malachi Richardson led all scorers with 21 points with Tyler Lyon adding 14 points and seven boards. Trevor Cooney was next in line with 13 points while Tyler Roberson and Michael Gbinjie scored ten points apiece with 18 and seven rebounds respectively.

The Michigan State Spartans joined Purdue on the sidelines as the second seed went flat in a 90-81 defeat at the hands of the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders in round one. The Blue Raiders were up six heading to the locker room and responded down the stretch everytime MSU made a run. Neither team played defense with both sinking shots at around 56%. MTSU hit three more baskets and a few more free throws to win it behind five double digit scorers. Reggie Upshaw Jr. paced the Blue Raiders with 21 points with Giddy Potts adding 19 points and five yanks. Darnell Harris and Perrin Buford scored 15 points apiece with Buford posting seven boards and six helpers while Jaqawn Raymond netted eleven points.....

well guys, its game day. I must say, I am worried about this game because of the lack of time to prepare for their zone and concerns that we may have blown our wad. But I was concerned with the Michigan State game too (and the ODU game...and the MARshall game...and the Charlotte game...) and we saw what happened.

One thing I keep telling myself is this. Syracuse has only won 2 of thei last 7 games. That's 2-5 over their last 7 games.

Middle Tennessee has won 7 in a row, including beating Michigan State and an underrated ODU team.

One thing I've learned in this sport is that when a team is hot, watch out, it doesn't matter who they are or what conference they come from (Just look at Stephen F Austin if you don't believe me who has won 20 something games in a row and just crushed WVU and will crush Notre Dame today....)

So we are hot and Syracuse is not. If we can get off to a fast start against the Orange, I'm REALLY going to like our odds. They're not used to winning (they're used to losing actually) so I don't think they'll respond well to us jumping on them. On the other hand, if Syracuse starts fast and gets some confidence and their zone is working, we're probably screwed because let's face it, they are mega talented, lengthy, and athletic..and if they get some confidence going and have us figured out, were in deep deep trouble.

Regardless of what happens, it's been a great journey. I just don't want it to end. We would only be the second #15 seed ever to make the Sweet 16 and would face my west coast team, Gonzaga.

No expectations today...I want to just enjoy our team. And, I want them to have fun and play lose - give their best and let the result be what it is. To me this game is about us.

I believe we can win. This coach and team deserves all the attention. I have watched both new conferences and they have been amazing representatives of MT and our city.

I am just proud. Proud to be a Middle Tennessee graduate and fan. Go Blue Raiders!

NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/s...ee-won-syracuses-coaches-were-ready.html?_r=0
When Middle Tennessee Won, Syracuse’s Coaches Were Ready

excerpt:

...Autry said he did not see scouting Middle Tennessee as a moot assignment last Sunday night.

“I went upstairs, got right back on the computer and just started getting after it,” he said.

What he found was what the rest of the world saw in Middle Tennessee’s 90-81 victory over the Spartans: The Blue Raiders, this season’s Conference USA champion, were for real.

“After Day 2 or Day 3 of watching tape, I said, ‘You know what? This team — the seeding may be a little off,’ ” Autry said.

Boeheim, too, seemed to have figured this out. “I had talked to a pro scout,” he said, “and he had told me, and some people had told him, that this was a very, very good team. And when you watch them play, it’s pretty obvious.”

As evidenced in their 55.9 field-goal percentage against Michigan State’s stout defense, the Blue Raiders have several sharpshooters. On defense, they are aggressive and deploy multiple looks.

“We’ve played against all those defenses,” Autry said, but, he added, “I don’t think we’ve played against a team that actually plays all those defenses in one game.” .....

WOW I had no clue that Quay Copeland is LaRon Dendy's BROTHER! Great connection.

There are still a few Sparty fans who are adamant that a 9 loss CUSA team can't do crap. Well, guess we'll have to beat another powerhouse to finally drill it in their head that we're pretty good.

Remember...
Its about us.

That said, I am not real sure how we will do against their big 23. They start 6-4. 6-6, 6-7, 6-8, 6-8. The first two off the bench are 6-8 and 6-9. They really only play those 7 guys. They are designed for the 2-3 and getting the ball inside. While we shoot 39% from 3, they shoot 36%.
Keys- We have to rebound against they superior size.
- Protect the ball going while shifting their zone as to keep them from resting on D.
- We must shoot the ball well from outside the entire game so we can extend their zone.
- We cannot give them easy baskets. Our ability to drive the ball will be tough when they leave a 6-8/9 kid in the defensive post (due to the zone). That means they will make us work for every basket. We need to make them work too.

All that said, I really want a win today. I do not think it is in our favor however. Everything on paper says we lose. Hey, thats why we play the game though. If those five starters play similar to the way they did against MSU then we have a chance. Praying for a Blue Raider win today.

If you would have told me Reggie would have ZERO and Giddy only 3, and we are only down 4, I would have told you that you are crazy. We haven't gotten good shots and they are much bigger than us.

But we are out rebounding them and are not turning the ball over more than them.

We have a chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT