ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA: #12 Middle Tennessee (25-7) vs. #5 UofL (24-8) ESPN2, Sunday 1:40PM

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
We weathered the storm. Only down 7 at the half. Their trap is killing us. I don't think we have enough at the point to survive. But these girls have proven me wrong before.

really lucky to be down by only 7 at the half considering how the game started (I would bet they got 10 boards before we got one). Game really shows our lack of length and athleticism when compared to power schools.

Gotta love Warden and her effort but why couldn't we find a scholarship p. g. with more size and skills than either Cason and Warden in the last two recruiting classes. We must have just missed on a couple we thought we would get.

We need improved guard play. And more size. To beat the top programs. 5 years ago we seemed to have better athletes. Would love to see our girls have some NCAA success.

Blueraider_Mike: "5 years ago we seemed to have better athletes." and I would include: more of them. Gotta face facts and that is that the recruiting has not improved but regressed. If we had had a couple of NCAA runs early and a few more weeks in the top 25 polls under Insell recruiting might have improved but as he gets futher and further away from his h. s. and AAU connections IMHO it's going to be tougher to recruit better.

Louisville forced 13 first half turnovers...that used to be what Middle Tennessee did. Very disappointing performance. I was thinking one of these times when we play on the hosts floor in the ncaa we're bound to get a win, just because of the odds, but the odds seem a lot greater against that now. We're not getting the recruits we need it appears. Seriously, do we plug in any of the players coming in next year with the losses of Elie and jones and say we're better?

We were really beat by 2 things today. Lack of height & turn-overs. Sure hope at some point we can recruit taller players. I don't think we've improved that much under R.I....

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
Blueraider_Mike: "5 years ago we seemed to have better athletes." and I would include: more of them. Gotta face facts and that is that the recruiting has not improved but regressed. If we had had a couple of NCAA runs early and a few more weeks in the top 25 polls under Insell recruiting might have improved but as he gets futher and further away from his h. s. and AAU connections IMHO it's going to be tougher to recruit better.
He simply didn't/doesn't know how to recruit college players.

When your first or second player off the bench (and even an occasional starter) is a true freshman walk-on then you have failed at recruiting. The hype we hear every year about the incoming recruits rivals that of Andy McCollum. The difference is that Andy may have had a higher percentage of players who actually contributed.

Insell is an excellent coach but unless he learns how to recruit better players the program won't move forward.

Originally posted by MTLynn:

Originally posted by MTFNBY5:
He simply didn't/doesn't know how to recruit college players.

When your first or second player off the bench (and even an occasional starter) is a true freshman walk-on then you have failed at recruiting. The hype we hear every year about the incoming recruits rivals that of Andy McCollum. The difference is that Andy may have had a higher percentage of players who actually contributed.

Insell is an excellent coach but unless he learns how to recruit better players the program won't move forward.
I agree with that, Lynn. We can only progress so far with the type players Insell has been recruiting. Sure, he does well against Sun Belt competition, but when we go against some of the really big programs, we're at a tremendous disadvantage with regard to height and athleticism. Hopefully, being a member of C-USA will help Insell with his recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT