ADVERTISEMENT

i guess nobody is going to address this

I haven’t posted here in years. But I’m in Wisconsin, too, since 2005 (‘02 MTSU grad). Where are you located?
I just moved up here this past year. I live in Jefferson County about 10 miles east of Fort Atkinson. Not sure if you know where that is. It is southeast WI pretty much right in between Madison and Milwaukee. Where are you at?

I just moved up here this past year. I live in Jefferson County about 10 miles east of Fort Atkinson. Not sure if you know where that is. It is southeast WI pretty much right in between Madison and Milwaukee. Where are you at?
Yep. I know the area. We live in Wauwatosa — Milwaukee suburb. More or less been right here since 2005. Sometimes a few of the board posters (or former ones since hardly anyone is here anymore) from the Blue Crew HOF group come up here to drink. But I, like everyone else, pretty much have stopped going to games (I think last one was 2017 or 2018.

Much easier to watch MTSU when you can flip to another game after first 8 minutes … if one can find it on TV. No guarantees there, either.

Last edited:
Yep. I know the area. We live in Wauwatosa — Milwaukee suburb. More or less been right here since 2005. Sometimes a few of the board posters (or former ones since hardly anyone is here anymore) from the Blue Crew HOF group come up here to drink. But I, like everyone else, pretty much have stopped going to games (I think last one was 2017 or 2018.

You can contact me further at rcolinfly (at) gmail. Apparently I either can’t find private messaging or it’s only for paid members. LOL.

Much easier to watch MTSU when you can flip to another game after first 8 minutes … if one can find it on TV. No guarantees there, either.
Yea I know where Wauwatosa is. My wife is from here, so I have been coming up here visiting her family since 2009. Lived outside Murfreesboro for about 9 years and then a job opportunity for her brought us up here. Watching MTSU games is not the easiest thing to do up here. I feel like I have every streaming service known to man.

As someone posted earlier, if this were to happen, Stock’s record would remain intact for zero outright conference titles.
So basically the bottom of the barrel conference. Well, good news is should get plenty of TV time playing mid-week games on ESPNU

I need this laugh.

RedditCFB

@RedditCFB

Our condolences to the AAC graphics team who has to navigate this minefield.
FCQ6s5SVkBMyuo6

Yea I know where Wauwatosa is. My wife is from here, so I have been coming up here visiting her family since 2009. Lived outside Murfreesboro for about 9 years and then a job opportunity for her brought us up here. Watching MTSU games is not the easiest thing to do up here. I feel like I have every streaming service known to man.
My wife is from “here” too. LOL

I don't think this will happen, but I would love for it to.

This would be best case scenario right now. But - I truly don't think anyone wants us. They saw the potential 10 years ago, but they've seen that leadership is not committed to advancing the program and with no accountability it will never be better.

Let's not forget we BARELY made it over to CUSA. We were like the last wave of additions after other programs were picked over us. I think they ultimately only took us because of potential. But again, the potential ship has sailed. We never delivered and the same leadership is in place, so why would a conference take us again?

Massaro HAS to go.

Like we have been noting lately, it looks like MAC is our last hope outside of being relegated to an FCS-lite conference or independent status.

I’ll be very interested to see where they go, because Austin Peay would be a natural fit in a new CUSA (with Jacksonville State and others) and both MT and WKU have been vehemently against having the Austin Peay conversation in the past.

And one last thing: this is coming at the worst possible time for MT with a coaching search coming in the near future in both major sports. TV money is going to be nonexistent.

Massaro has had his eye on scooping Manny Diaz up when Miami fires him, but that’s very unlikely if you can’t blow out the budget to provide a soft landing.

And one last thing: this is coming at the worst possible time for MT with a coaching search coming in the near future in both major sports. TV money is going to be nonexistent.

Massaro has had his eye on scooping Manny Diaz up when Miami fires him, but that’s very unlikely if you can’t blow out the budget to provide a soft landing.
Do you think if Miami fires him this year we would be able to get rid of Stock to get him? How do we know Stock will be leaving anytime soon?

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Do you think if Miami fires him this year we would be able to get rid of Stock to get him? How do we know Stock will be leaving anytime soon?
I am not staff anymore and just a neutral observer, so….

What I’ll say is there was plenty of smoke after last season that Stock was retiring. Football Scoop was all over it but he ended up hiring his son and staying.

You all know that smoke hasn’t gone away.

What we’re talking about now is a budget nightmare - you could see Massaro fired ASAP if he can’t land a MAC deal. Given the results, he probably shouldn’t have a job regardless.

Do we think Rick sticks around if his boss is gone and he’s playing in a glorified FCS league for way less revenue? I don’t.

Reactions: Raiders_55
If we get to the MAC, Rick might be able to stick around. Our play style might have more success against MAC teams than (formerly) CUSA. If not... let's go all out and play 12 money games! Get that $$$

• Love
Reactions: MTLynn
This would lend credence as to why Brent Stockstill told his wife they would only be in Murfreesboro for 1 year...

It wasn't because he planned on getting a better job (though I'm sure he's hopeful), it was more revolved around Rick retiring.

Guess we'll see.

This would lend credence as to why Brent Stockstill told his wife they would only be in Murfreesboro for 1 year...

It wasn't because he planned on getting a better job (though I'm sure he's hopeful), it was more revolved around Rick retiring.

Guess we'll see.
Really hope that's the case. We may have a chance to snag Diaz because Miami will definitely be getting rid of him this year.

If we get to the MAC, Rick might be able to stick around. Our play style might have more success against MAC teams than (formerly) CUSA. If not... let's go all out and play 12 money games! Get that $$$

I am really not liking all this MAC talk. Like, at all. And I live in Ohio so I would be able to make a few games each year....but I don't care.

The MAC is awful man. They have worse attendance than CUSA, and that's saying something. Some of their late year football games have fewer than 50 people in the stands, and that's not hyperbole.

The MAC is an absolute 100% dead end. The MAC is the epitome of mediocrity. You mise well call it the Mediocrity American Conference. We would struggle MIGHTILY to recruit and flourish in the MAC because you really have to recruit northern kids that are comfortable playing in cold weather. Many MAC schools recruit southern states very lightly now because the vast majority of kids they sign from the south just end up transferring back home because it's too cold. If you look at a MAC team's roster it's almost exclusively kids from northern states. We don't recruit northern states. MT Football would be an even bigger disaster in the MAC. This is such a bad idea. It is short sighted and it would be a desperate, and terrible decision/choice (So I'm sure we'll end up in the MAC)

Please, just no. We need a southern footprint where people actually care about sports and where we can recruit. Going to the MAC would be a short sighted decision and total disaster.

I am really not liking all this MAC talk. Like, at all. And I live in Ohio so I would be able to make a few games each year....but I don't care.

The MAC is awful man. They have worse attendance than CUSA, and that's saying something. Some of their late year football games have fewer than 50 people in the stands, and that's not hyperbole.

The MAC is an absolute 100% dead end. The MAC is the epitome of mediocrity. You mise well call it the Mediocrity American Conference.

Please, just no. We need a southern footprint where people actually care about sports.

If the option is the MAC vs FCS or whether is left of CUSA, I’ll take the MAC all day.

It ain’t much, but playing Ohio, Miami (OH), and No.Illinois is better than Jacksonville State and Eastern Kentucky.

At some point, the Massaro/Stockstill Reign of Terror will end, and we have to make sure we’re still FBS at that point.

The MAC is an absolute 100% dead end. The MAC is the epitome of mediocrity. You mise well call it the Mediocrity American Conference.

Please, just no. We need a southern footprint where people actually care about sports.
I hear ya man but can you say with a straight face that anyone besides a loyal few care about sports at MT? Seems that’s where we belong. I actually like the academic standings of those MAC schools. Maybe it would force us to get our shit together in that department.

If the option is the MAC vs FCS or whether is left of CUSA, I’ll take the MAC all day.

It ain’t much, but playing Ohio, Miami (OH), and No.Illinois is better than Jacksonville State and Eastern Kentucky.

It's not that simple. Who are we supposed to recruit for the MAC when we are a southern school?

Ask any coach about the MAC signing southern players. They'll tell you they all transfer home after a year or two because it's too cold. I had this exact conversation with a former MT coach (Danny Lewis) when I helped run this site. We were after a safety that ended up signing with a MAC school. He made the comment he wouldn't be there more than 2 years, that over 90% transfer home (probably even more now with newer transfer rules). And he was right, the kid transferred back south after a year or two. I can go back and find his name if you really wanna know.

There are rare exceptions of southern kids doing well on a MAC roster, but you are not building a roster of southern kids playing in the MAC.

So where will our recruits come from?

1) What was the story behind Baby Stock's wife saying they are only staying a year? I suppose Dad wanted to ensure he got some more coaching experience to build his resume.

2) I think MTLynn is on to something - just go independent, get a new coach (Manny would be great) and hope to rebuild your image a bit and get a bid to a better conference in 4-5 years. In the meantime, you could collect some large checks by getting destroyed by Notre Dame and Georgia. Invest the money on rebuilding the program.

Oh and first things first - PLEASE get rid of Massaro for leading us into this spot.

Reactions: Raiders_55
It's not that simple. Who are we supposed to recruit for the MAC when we are a southern school?

Ask any coach about the MAC signing southern players. They'll tell you they all transfer home after a year or two because it's too cold. I had this exact conversation with a former MT coach (Danny Lewis) when I helped run this site. We were after a safety that ended up signing with a MAC school. He made the comment he wouldn't be there more than 2 years, that over 90% transfer home (probably even more now with newer transfer rules). And he was right, the kid transferred back south after a year or two. I can go back and find his name if you really wanna know.

There are rare exceptions of southern kids doing well on a MAC roster, but you are not building a roster of southern kids playing in the MAC.

So where will our recruits come from?
I have been beating the drum that they should be focused on Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio kids.

Pull a few out of Alabama and Georgia.

I have been beating the drum that they should be focused on Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio kids.

But we don't, and you don't just form new connections in new states over night.

We are what we are. We are a southern football school that recruits southern states.

Going to the MAC would be a total disaster and it would be a very short sighted and desperate ploy.

I posted all for MAC on Twitter and that is only because I don't want FCS or a glorified FCS conference. Either go MAC (which is at least under the ESPN umbrella and stable but as said, no one leaves the MAC) and use being the southern most school with 6 home games a year in warmer weather to your advantage, or just be independent $$ grabbing machine.

I'm am totally against an FCS grow up league.

Edit.....I am on here saying I don't care, just win baby, but sadly the last few days have made me realize and look at the public perception and other perspectives. I am proud to be an alum of an FBS (1A all the way!) School and want us to be surrounded by FBS teams. Not be the 20 year old grandfather of new jump ups.

We are what we are. We are a southern football school that recruits southern states.

Going to the MAC would be a total disaster and it would be a very short sighted and desperate ploy.
It’s all rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

If you bring up 3-6 teams from the FCS, recruits aren’t going to take your conference seriously. If you move to the MAC you’re going to have to find a new recruiting base.

Neither is a good option.

The work should have been done to have a spot ready in the Sun Belt in case CUSA exploded. But instead they took ODU and promoted JMU because the leadership in Murfreesboro were caught with their pants down.

You are talking like becoming a de facto FCS member in whatever garbage CUSA becomes is better. What other option do we have? Go MAC, survive, or go independent and see what happens... which is questionable give how successful it has been for UConn, UMass, NMSU, etc.?

You are talking like becoming a de facto FCS member in whatever garbage CUSA becomes is better. What other option do we have? Go MAC, survive, or go independent and see what happens... which is questionable give how successful it has been for UConn, UMass, NMSU, etc.?

I think we should shut it all down and stop pretending to be something we are not, an FBS program.

1. We are not an FBS program.

2. None of us want FCS

so get rid of it all

I had lunch this week with a young man (and his Dad) who roomed with Dasher his freshman year and is a local HS coach. He validated every concern we’ve all made about how this staff has little to no relationships with area HS coaches. It’s pretty sad really.

• Angry
I had lunch this week with a young man (and his Dad) who roomed with Dasher his freshman year and is a local HS coach. He validated every concern we’ve all made about how this staff has little to no relationships with area HS coaches. It’s pretty sad really.
I’ve heard the same thing echoed. Seems like the basketball coaches are doing the same thing.

I’m fine with whatever at this point. I think an independent route with an “anytime, anywhere” mentality that Andy Mac swaggered in with isn’t a terrible play. Playing 7-8 body bag games could easily net us $10M a year.

Or MAC. Or whatever. Sometimes being the program equivalent of the shrug emoji is fine.

The MAC does fit out current culture, (Not the culture that was here when all this started sadly) the Rust Belt is exactly what 7wood MacFee, Massaro and Stockstill are. Just worried about getting out of it when they are gone. Plus whoever the idiots are that keep extending 7wood and Massaro are likely the same idiots that would hire the replacements. I wish I could be more optimistic. But getting Manny Diaz as unlikely as it seems, would certainly make me at least give it a chance and hope 7wood and Massaro are soon out that door.

James Madison gets an invitation to join the SBC before MT. Let that sink in. We are left hoping and praying to go the SBC. Again, let that sink in.

A conference we used to be in and we are passed up by James Madison. How many people even know where JM is located???? This is pathetic.

I think we should shut it all down and stop pretending to be something we are not, an FBS program.

1. We are not an FBS program.

2. None of us want FCS

so get rid of it all

MAC schools recruit the south all the time. It’s not a big deal. Heck, MAC schools recruit Tennessee better than we do.

And anyway, being the farthest south MAC school might have its benefits on the recruiting trail.

If you’d rather not have any football than survive in the MAC, that’s fine. Seems awful petulant, but whatever.

I'm starting to think all of you guys are masochists, and I'm not joking.

This university has been masquerading as a D1/FBS school for 20 years now....and every single person here knows we don't belong. We are posers. We don't have the fan support, we don't have the results, and we don't have the money.

So why keep on?

Look, we tried. We took a swing and we did our best. But it wasn't good enough. At the end of the day, we sucked and other schools had better fans, better coaches, better administrators, and a stronger commitment to athletics excellence.

It's over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT