ADVERTISEMENT

i guess nobody is going to address this

Selfishly I like the MAC for basketball. I would love for us to get access to kids from Chicago, Detroit and Philly. They hoop on a different level up there.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
The MAC does fit out current culture, (Not the culture that was here when all this started sadly) the Rust Belt is exactly what 7wood MacFee, Massaro and Stockstill are. Just worried about getting out of it when they are gone. Plus whoever the idiots are that keep extending 7wood and Massaro are likely the same idiots that would hire the replacements. I wish I could be more optimistic. But getting Manny Diaz as unlikely as it seems, would certainly make me at least give it a chance and hope 7wood and Massaro are soon out that door.

We don’t have a culture.
Plus; it isn’t the MAC vs some fantasy conference that would be a better fit.

Its literally the MAC vs FCS or CUSA filled with FCS move-ups with a non-ESPN tv deal.

Id rather play Ohio in MACtion on ESPN than Eastern Kentucky on CBS-whatever.

The CUSA will survive, it may not be what we want, but pay 3mil exit fee and then a fee to join the MAC (IF they issue an invite)???? Where the F would that money come from??? If MT has the money to do that they should use it to pay off stockstill and mcdevitt.

I'm not so sure there will be exit fee's. I think the 9 schools leaving CUSA are trying to obliterate the conference so they can try to avoid paying those exit fee's. The more schools that leave, the more likely they can maybe not pay exit fee's? I'm just postulating here, but it makes sense.

I'm not so sure there will be exit fee's. I think the 9 schools leaving CUSA are trying to obliterate the conference so they can try to avoid paying those exit fee's. The more schools that leave, the more likely they can maybe not pay exit fee's? I'm just postulating here, but it makes sense.
Exactly, if Marshall, SMU and ODU leave that brings it down to 5 teams. If I am correct 6 is the minimum to qualify as a Conference so technically there is no more CUSA if that happens.

James Madison gets an invitation to join the SBC before MT. Let that sink in. We are left hoping and praying to go the SBC. Again, let that sink in.

A conference we used to be in and we are passed up by James Madison. How many people even know where JM is located???? This is patheti
have you seen the facilities at JMU? I have and will see them next when my son plays them. they are about 70 miles from DC. There homes games are broadcast on NBC Sorts DC

I think we should shut it all down and stop pretending to be something we are not, an FBS program.

1. We are not an FBS program.

2. None of us want FCS

so get rid of it all

I agree with your first premise that we are not an FBS program, but I disagree with your second.

I would 100% rather us play a regional FCS schedule than most of our G5 conference games.

I’ve always felt that way. If you can’t compete in the division you are in, why do it? There was a time early in our move to FBS that you could argue we had the potential to be in the same conference as all the AAC schools and if we did things right, we could have been a UCF or Cincinnati. We missed that small window. So why hang on to something we are willing to do?

I would rather watch us play Chattanooga and Tech over FIU, UTEP, Texas St or MAC schools. Lets drop back to FCS, have a chance to make the playoffs and save money. Be who we really are instead a masquerading as a FBS school.

I may be in the minority, but being a FBS independent with UConn, UMass, Liberty, NM St, 4 blood bath games and 2 FCS games is just zero appealing to me.

have you seen the facilities at JMU? I have and will see them next when my son plays them. they are about 70 miles from DC. There homes games are broadcast on NBC Sorts DC
JMU is definitely more attractive than MT for football.

Plus, they never bailed on the Sun Belt for another conference like we did. It’s the jilted bride’s revenge.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
We get it, you hate us being FBS. But the reality is McPhee and Massaro will do whatever they can to make sure we stick in FBS somehow and survive. Not live, but survive. It's not like we don't have potential - we drew almost 30k (mostly MT fans) playing Memphis and Troy for years... when we did not SUCK with a coach no one liked. Stockstill has run out the clock way too long now, he is not the coach we need if we are going to be able to live and hopefully thrive wherever we are.

If we don't beat UConn tonight, then our chances REALLY go out the window.
If we lose to UConn tonight, we deserve to drop down to FCS... lol

In all seriousness, it might be worth it to go for independent status and get a ton of P5 money games. Invest it where possible.

Reactions: cfly1980
FWIW: Starting to see reports that MAC likely will invite WKU and MT, not just "might." Obviously, questionable sources, but it's a notable change in language.

Reactions: Raiders_55
We get it, you hate us being FBS. But the reality is McPhee and Massaro will do whatever they can to make sure we stick in FBS somehow and survive. Not live, but survive. It's not like we don't have potential - we drew almost 30k (mostly MT fans) playing Memphis and Troy for years... when we did not SUCK with a coach no one liked. Stockstill has run out the clock way too long now, he is not the coach we need if we are going to be able to live and hopefully thrive wherever we are.
I don’t hate us being FBS, but I do not like half-assing things. With our administration, we will never get more than that. So I see no benefit in pretending to be FBS and subsidizing this product when we have zero chance to compete for a national championship at this level. We won’t even get a seat at the table. So for me, I don’t get any excitement or see any real benefit of being in the MAC playing a late November division game in Kalamazoo, Michigan to hopefully go 6-6 or 7-5. I would rather us play schools with similar facilities and regional rivals.

Get us a president and AD that are driven, then yeah, our high water mark can be winning the MAC and playing in QuickLane Bowl against a 6-6 B10 team.

That's what I'm saying. Might as well go into a stable conference like the MAC and let football raise as much money as it can knowing that we will never have a serious program outside of an occasional chance at running the table in the MAC conference play. Dump that money into the other sports, and get some success there. First task - get rid of Massaro and Stockstill.

That's what I'm saying. Might as well go into a stable conference like the MAC and let football raise as much money as it can knowing that we will never have a serious program outside of an occasional chance at running the table in the MAC conference play. Dump that money into the other sports, and get some success there. First task - get rid of Massaro and Stockstill.

I agree with you for sure on the last part. Get rid of M&M and replace them with competent people 10 years ago and we are probably in the AAC right now or maybe, if we struck lightening with the right HC, we are with UCF and UCinn. I just don’t see the point with our current leadership.

If Chef Ramsey was able to give his opinion to Cope or Murphy: "On this episode of Athletics Nightmares....."

What a bunch of donuts....

giphy.gif

I think that article brings up a very good point.

$36 million in exit fee's for the 9 leaving schools. That is a lot of money and the conference can use it to entice new members/pay current members to stay.

If Judy was worth her salt she would figure out a way to keep Marshall & ODU, and invite JMU & Liberty into the conference. But I doubt that happens, it sounds like a done deal for them to leave and CUSA to be at 5 members.

That leaves MTSU, WKU, UTEP, FIU, La. Tech. You can bring in Uconn, Umass, or maybe Liberty if they don't go to the SBC...but I can't imagine how travel would work with UTEP + those new additions. I think you have to kick UTEP out at this point or go all in on the southwest footprint and invite NMSU and some southwest FCS schools and have west/east divisions. I don't think McNeese St. and Sam Houston St. would be terrible additions. Sam Houston State would mop the floor of most G5 teams and would likely be a juggernaut at the FBS level. NMSU university has great hoops.

I would do it this way in the new CUSA:

East: WKU, MTSU, FIU, Liberty, Uconn/Umass (would love to get Uconn hoops, but if they won't fully join with all sports then take Umass)
West: UTEP, La. Tech, NMSU, Sam Houston State, McNeese State

That's a reputable conference to be honest.

Looks like Judy wants to expand with FCS schools from the Southwest. Reports that CUSA has reached out to Sam Houston and McNeese. Both options are bad in my opinion, but I would rather play in a conference with teams like Kennesaw State and Jacksonville State than Buffalo and Eastern Michigan.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ur-teams-expected-to-join-sun-belt-next-week/
She want's to stay in Dallas, she could go UCA, EKU, and Jax St(AL). Along with Liberty, UMASS and UConn

In an ideal world, we'd ask NDSU, South Dakota State, Missouri State to join. That would bring some firepower right away. But it's CUSA and Judy, plus MT's leadership, so it's not gonna happen.

I think that article brings up a very good point.

$36 million in exit fee's for the 9 leaving schools. That is a lot of money and the conference can use it to entice new members/pay current members to stay.

If Judy was worth her salt she would figure out a way to keep Marshall & ODU, and invite JMU & Liberty into the conference. But I doubt that happens, it sounds like a done deal for them to leave and CUSA to be at 5 members.

That leaves MTSU, WKU, UTEP, FIU, La. Tech. You can bring in Uconn, Umass, or maybe Liberty if they don't go to the SBC...but I can't imagine how travel would work with UTEP + those new additions. I think you have to kick UTEP out at this point or go all in on the southwest footprint and invite NMSU and some southwest FCS schools and have west/east divisions. I don't think McNeese St. and Sam Houston St. would be terrible additions. Sam Houston State would mop the floor of most G5 teams and would likely be a juggernaut at the FBS level. NMSU university has great hoops.

I would do it this way in the new CUSA:

East: WKU, MTSU, FIU, Liberty, Uconn/Umass (would love to get Uconn hoops, but if they won't fully join with all sports then take Umass)
West: UTEP, La. Tech, NMSU, Sam Houston State, McNeese State

That's a reputable conference to be honest.
Uconn hoops would be great, but I would almost rather get a top FCS football school like Kennesaw State or Jacksonville State than either Uconn or Umass.

East: WKU, MTSU, FIU, Liberty, Kennesaw State, Jacksonville State
West: UTEP, NMSU, La Tech, Sam Houston State, McNeese State, Central Arkansas

I like that more than I like the MAC.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Uconn hoops would be great, but I would almost rather get a top FCS football school like Kennesaw State or Jacksonville State than either Uconn or Umass.

Definitely like the MAC better.

If we end up on the MAC, M&M will take credit for the great job they did getting us in a stable conference. Bonuses and praise abound for they great job they did!

If we join the MAC we will be paying a $4 million exit fee + MAC entrance fee to join an inferior conference....

aka

An absolute train wreck disaster

I’m really not trying to sound salty, just trying to understand. Why ODU and Southern Miss? Both schools on the field results have been worse than ours. If the SBC cared about results, you’d think they’d invite La Tech over Southern Miss. I understand why no one wants MT, but I think WKU deserves better based on their commitment to football and basketball. What sucks is MT had solid FB and BB programs up until a few years back, but even had we won conference championships in both, I don’t think it would have changed a thing. WKU won championships in both, have nice facilities, and they have been left behind with MT.

I’m not trying to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think the SBC is being spiteful with MT and WKU because both left. I think they didn’t invite La Tech because of their previous statements years ago about not wanting to be with ULL and ULM

If we join the MAC we will be paying a $4 million exit fee + MAC entrance fee to join an inferior conference....

aka

An absolute train wreck disaster
Would we still pay if CUSA ends up with 3 remaining schools? UTEP, La Tech, and FIU? It would be very hard to find a cobbling of FCS call ups to save the conference. I have heard folks say that is a reason why the MAC may pull the trigger - because we wouldn't have to worry about the exit fee if 9 teams vote to dissolve the conference lol

I’d rather the MAC. That conference is FCS in all but name.

Personally, I don’t get the problems with the MAC. It certainly seems better than the alternative than sinking to the bottom of the sea in CUSA.

The MAC is stable, winnable, has programs that fit our budget, has ESPN for a TV partner, has carved out a little niche in the world of college football, routinely stocks the NFL with players, recruits down south all the time, and had a team play in a NYD bowl, is easier to travel than the bloated “new” CUSA and more bus-friendly for our non-revenue sports than sending them out to UTEP and NMSU, has 80 years of tradition, and we might actually be able to entice some road fans with a trip

You guys don’t want to road trip to Ohio in November, but you ain’t gonna pack the car to visit places like Las Cruces or wherever the heck Central Arkansas is either.

It ain’t a great option. It ain’t even a good option. But it’s better than playing with a bunch of FCS move-up crud spread out from Virginia to New Mexico.

With the 3Ms in charge if MT were in C-USA, would it even really matter?

If M&M still in charge wherever MT ends up, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Both should be fired immediately! Period.

Even if Stock retires (5 years too late), and if McPhee scapegoats Massaro and sends him packing, then it still doesn't really matter with McPhee still in charge. 'Ole Chicom McPhee owns this. Any continuation with this failed leadership is a nonstarter in my book. I am rapidly approaching the end of any involvement/support or even association with MTSU under this and due to this leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT