ADVERTISEMENT

i guess nobody is going to address this

Try to reach out to the MTSU Regents who have authority and responsibly for this debacle?

This is a state institution, perhaps attempting to reach out to elected state officials might stir up some state level curiosity?

Being here in Murfreesboro, I've been considering contacting my state rep as I think he might even be a professor at MTSU in addition to a state rep.

At this point, it all seems fairly pointless. Who knows, maybe it's worth a shot?
If it is Charles Baum he is an Econ professor

Insult to injury...

The 'journalist' who wrote this ought to be fired...

...The move will leave Conference USA with the remaining five members (UTEP, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Central Tennessee, and Western Kentucky).....

• Haha
Reactions: FranklinRaider315
Insult to injury...

The 'journalist' who wrote this ought to be fired...

...The move will leave Conference USA with the remaining five members (UTEP, FIU, Louisiana Tech, Central Tennessee, and Western Kentucky).....

We have a “National” brand.😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: BigBlueBrad
Clearly they’ve got the MAC on the mind with Central Michigan in the conference. Our future rival in conference play has the incorrect term instead of middle.

I would assume umass would be football only.

I've read differing things on number of full membership to constitute a football conference, six and eight. A lot easier if it's six.

I still just feel like the "best" thing left for us to do is try to get the 6 teams from the ASUN up here ASAP. They have already expressed interest in moving up to FBS and are some pretty good football programs. Judy just wants the footprint to be more Texas. I don't see how anyone can let her make anymore decisions, but then I remember who our leadership is.

excerpt from today's espn.com article:

C-USA subtractions: Alabama-Birmingham, Florida Atlantic, Charlotte, North Texas, Rice, Texas-San Antonio. (Southern Miss also is expected to depart, although that is not official.)

C-USA additions: none

C-USA future look: Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Old Dominion, UTEP, Western Kentucky

Sun Belt subtractions: none

Sun Belt additions: Southern Miss (expected but not official)

Sun Belt future look: Appalachian State, Arkansas State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Texas State, Troy

For most of its existence, Conference USA's role has been to act as a way station for programs moving either up or down in the college football hierarchy. Its name is as noncommittal as possible when it comes to specific membership or region. Twenty percent of FBS programs have belonged to C-USA at one point or another, and of its original football members, only Alabama-Birmingham and Southern Miss remain in the conference. UAB just arranged to leave and Southern Miss may not be far behind. C-USA loses programs to conferences greater in the hierarchy and plucks from conferences lower.

What we've found over the last week is that there might not be anyone lower in the hierarchy anymore.

In the last round of major conference realignment, C-USA lost a number of members (East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa and UCF) to the AAC, then turned around and raided the Sun Belt. But they aimed for schools close to major markets and long known for having football potential; in response, the Sun Belt brought in well-supported football programs -- Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern -- and quickly surpassed C-USA from a football perspective. Now it appears that the Sun Belt will officially add Southern Miss soon, and it might not stop there: Rumors suggest it is likely the Sun Belt will also pluck Marshall and Old Dominion away from C-USA, and also add FCS powerhouse James Madison.

If these moves were to go through, C-USA would be left with only five geographically disparate programs -- Florida International, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UTEP and Western Kentucky -- which is fewer than the six required by the NCAA. The league could quickly attempt to woo independent programs like Liberty, UMass, UConn and New Mexico State to keep its numbers up. It could start slinging out invitations to interested FCS programs, too. But it's appearing more likely that the Sun Belt will win this round of realignment (as it did, in retrospect, the last time around) and that, if it indeed continues to exist, C-USA will look almost completely different in a few years than it does now. -- Bill Connelly

”While the collegiate conference landscape continues to evolve nationally, we are confident Blue Raider Athletics is well positioned for future success in the final outcome of these discussions,” he said.

“We received approval late last week from the State Bond Authority and the State Building Commission to proceed with the first $66-million phase of our athletics complex upgrade, which will include a new student-athlete performance center in the north end of Floyd Stadium, as well as other renovations in Floyd and Murphy Center.

“As the largest university in the booming Metro Nashville MSA, the 28th largest TV market in the country, we offer attractive audience demographics and a prime location. All of these factors are significant advantages as we engage C-USA partners and colleagues in these discussions.”

Help us MAC, you're our only hope.
I did a random roster survey for GA and FL players in the MAC. Pretty interesting. Had no idea that they recruited GA and FL as heavily as the Central Tennessee State staff. Even more surprising is the number of TN players on their rosters. Specifically, a D-lineman from Blackman and a QB from Oakland. I think this is pretty telling on how our current staff recruits Rutherford County and the State of TN against this one conference. If we are invited to join the MAC with this staff, we are toast.
Northern Illinois - GA-6, FL-4
Central Mich - GA-3, FL-8
Ball St - GA-4, FL-2 (Note: 3 kids from Middle TN, Blaine Bishop’s kid, a CB from Independence, a LB from Blackman, and an O-lineman from East Nashville)
Toledo - GA-2, FL-15
E. Mich - GA-12, FL-3 (Note: A WR from Father Ryan and an O-lineman from Clarksville)
W. Mich - GA-1 , FL-4 (Note: A CB from Knox Catholic, a WR from Cleveland TN and a Safety from Bartlett TN)
Kent St - GA-6, FL-3
Miami OH - GA-5, FL-0 (Note: RB from Jackson, TN and 2 D-linemen from Nolensville TN and East Nashville)
Buffalo - GA-3, FL-10
Ohio - GA-7, FL-12 (Note: D-lineman from Memphis Craigmont)
Akron - GA-13 FL-10
Bowling Green - GA-4, FL-6 (Note: Kody Sparks QB Murfreesboro Oakland, K- Souder BGA Franklin, TN)

Last edited:
Should Conference USA lose the three aforementioned programs and ultimately dissolve, the result would be the number of FBS conferences shrinking from 10 to nine. That could potentially impact ongoing talks regarding College Football Playoff expansion. As proposed, the top six ranked conference champions would receive an automatic berth in a hypothetical 12-team bracket, but that's based on the 10 existing leagues continuing

The 26-year-old league could be the first FBS conference to fold since the Big East in 2013 with the football remnants of the old Big East eventually serving as the foundation for the AAC. Prior to that, the last FBS -- then Division I-A -- conference to go away was the Southwest Conference in 1995.

Decisions could be made in the next three days, sources tell CBS Sports. As such, Conference USA faces the prospect of losing nine of its 14 members within in a week. At that point, the league's future would be decided by its worth to media rights holders. If a collection of teams in the newly-formed C-USA does not draw enough interest from networks, it could go away completely. The C-USA television deal with CBS expires after the 2022-23 academic year, and the conference also has separate deals with Stadium and ESPN (mostly streaming on ESPN+).

"To say that [Conference USA] is not wounded would be to deny [reality]," a source close to the discussions tells CBS Sports.

Something working in Conference USA's favor is the $4 million exit fee. If nine schools ultimately leave, that would add $36 million in the coffers to help entice new members. C-USA commissioner Judy MacLeod has been frantically trying to keep her existing members together while reaching out to candidates to replace departing programs, multiple sources tell CBS Sports.

"We have a strong core of members to build around and are continuing to work to strengthen our league as we move forward. There are several institutions interested in joining Conference USA, both across FBS and FCS, some of whom we've already met with in person," said MacLeod in a Friday afternoon statement. "Every step we take will be deliberate, strategically sound, and intentional. We will take the necessary time to add future members that will be the best fit from an athletic and academic standpoint and allow prospective institutions time to complete their process.

"We continue to believe in the regional concept and will look to incorporate that into our structure and scheduling. There are certainly many questions out there, but a great deal is happening behind the scenes. When appropriate, we will release more information, though out of respect for those involved, we will continue to operate outside of the public space."

There has been contact between Conference USA and McNeese State from the Southland Conference and Sam Houston of the WAC, sources tell CBS Sports. Like James Madison, those FCS schools would require an NCAA-mandated multi-year transition process to move up to the FBS.

"She's getting calls from every aspiring FCS program," a source from one of those schools said.

The preference for Conference USA is to add FBS members with schools such as independents New Mexico State, UConn and UMass. CBS Sports previously reported independent Liberty is in the mix for either Conference USA or Sun Belt membership. Given the developments of this past week, Liberty would likely prefer the Sun Belt at this time as the school assesses its options.

In terms of competition and revenue, it's basically a wash for any of the candidates in Conference USA and Sun Belt, and the decision may come down to travel expenses. The 10-team Sun Belt could evolve as an East Coast league with the addition of more schools within that region. In inviting any members, C-USA still has to deal with the existence of far-flung UTEP, which is 900 miles from the nearest current member, Louisiana Tech.

CBS Sports previously reported independent Liberty is in the mix for either Conference USA or Sun Belt membership. Given the developments of this past week, Liberty would likely prefer the Sun Belt at this time as the school assesses its options.

Even if Liberty was interested in the remainder CUSA breaking news today which may or may not be completely accurate, it is toxic enough that university presidents would hesitate in considering Liberty, even our own toxic in his own way President.

And there’s a drive into deep left field by Castellanos and that’ll be a home run. And so that’ll make it a 4-0 ballgame.

”While the collegiate conference landscape continues to evolve nationally, we are confident Blue Raider Athletics is well positioned for future success in the final outcome of these discussions,” he said.

“We received approval late last week from the State Bond Authority and the State Building Commission to proceed with the first $66-million phase of our athletics complex upgrade, which will include a new student-athlete performance center in the north end of Floyd Stadium, as well as other renovations in Floyd and Murphy Center.

“As the largest university in the booming Metro Nashville MSA, the 28th largest TV market in the country, we offer attractive audience demographics and a prime location. All of these factors are significant advantages as we engage C-USA partners and colleagues in these discussions.”

• Haha
Try to reach out to the MTSU Regents who have authority and responsibly for this debacle?

This is a state institution, perhaps attempting to reach out to elected state officials might stir up some state level curiosity?

Being here in Murfreesboro, I've been considering contacting my state rep as I think he might even be a professor at MTSU in addition to a state rep.

At this point, it all seems fairly pointless. Who knows, maybe it's worth a shot?
When I got tired of the delays and excuses on why the IPF at Memphis wasn’t being built as promised, I called Dick Tracy who is the Executive Director of Facility Development at 615-366-4433. He is a very helpful TBOR exec and he gave me the REAL story about why Memphis’s IPF was delayed after he was unfairly blamed by Dr. Rudd (Memphis President.) He also told me that even though Memphis and MTSU have independent BOT’s, any building on University property is still controlled by the TBOR and the designs must be approved by them regardless of where the funding is coming from. I would bet he can tell me exactly what actual phase this MTSU ATHLETICS project is in and how it will be paid for. That’s why I called him to get he real story in Memphis. They had initially proposed and asked the TBOR for $20MM in funding when they only had $600,000 in donations and pledges. That won’t fly. Around that time, the independent BOT’s were created and other means were used to get the funding. ($10MM in bonds and a $10MM loan from the University Foundation.

dnj subscriber only article: "Why MT athletics director Chris Massaro would be 'surprised' if C-USA doesn't rebuild"

excerpts:

"We just need to take a step back," MTSU athletics director Chris Massaro told The Daily News Journal. "This stuff won't actually take effect until fall of 2023. That's the important thing, and it's getting lost in some of the writings. I think what's important is that we've got time to come to a conclusion on that so we can better position ourselves.

"The national (college) landscape is shifting. It will continue to shift. This wave isn't over yet, and it's not going to be the last wave."

~~~~~~~~~

"I think if you start going with leaner (size) and start looking at the finances of it, and start pouring those finances into the athletic departments, you're going to get better," Massaro said. "The CFP (College Football Playoff) money, instead of splitting 14 ways, you split with whatever we end up with....eight or nine or 10 ways. Those are some significant dollars.

"There's a real argument to be made for being lean. If you get the right combination and the right success and can improve yourself in the CFP, then it's better."

Last edited:
one more:

"The thing I want to stress to our fans is this thing isn’t over," said Massaro, of realignment sweeping the college landscape. "Middle Tennessee is in a strong position. We’ve had a strong athletic department.

"Western Kentucky feels same way we do. Those are good partnerships moving forward. Also, this isn’t the last realignment. Everybody you talk to says there’s still more coming. This thing is not over right now either."

"I think if you start going with leaner (size) and start looking at the finances of it, and start pouring those finances into the athletic departments, you're going to get better," Massaro said. "The CFP (College Football Playoff) money, instead of splitting 14 ways, you split with whatever we end up with....eight or nine or 10 ways. Those are some significant dollars.
That's one way to spin a 6 team conference. What a complete joke. So sick of the excuses and gaslighting. CRS's contract was the beginning of the end. The McDevitt hire was the nail in the coffin. They get trips to Hawaii, Bahamas, Boca and a nice retirement while we get the shaft. But yay APR!!!

This is what happens when you funnel 90% of your resources to a HC with a sub .500 record against his peers and continues to show an outright refusal to engage the fan base or be the face of the athletic dept.

Our fan base, at least what is left of it, has shown for a handful of years now that we were ready to move on. Our "leadership" ignored us. This is the result.

Last edited:
one more:

"The thing I want to stress to our fans is this thing isn’t over," said Massaro, of realignment sweeping the college landscape. "Middle Tennessee is in a strong position. We’ve had a strong athletic department.

"Western Kentucky feels same way we do. Those are good partnerships moving forward. Also, this isn’t the last realignment. Everybody you talk to says there’s still more coming. This thing is not over right now either."
FWIW - Massaro on AllSportsTalk yesterday specifically to talk conference realignment - roughly the same comments as in the DNJ article.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
All of his comments to me scream "we don't know what is going on but let me say a few things that make us sound smart. Our idiot fans and the 10 people that read the DNJ won't know the difference."

I swear when this whole nationwide conference mess is done 5 years from now (if it lasts that long, I truly think there are very few waves left) this would all make for a great TV mini series.

All of his comments to me scream "we don't know what is going on but let me say a few things that make us sound smart. Our idiot fans and the 10 people that read the DNJ won't know the difference."

I swear when this whole nationwide conference mess is done 5 years from now (if it lasts that long, I truly think there are very few waves left) this would all make for a great TV mini series.
Mtneer: I tend to think that you are correct in that this could be the last "great wave" of conference realignment concerning G-5 schools regardless of Massaro stating that there will be more to come.
IMHO The next realignment will be the Power schools completely separating from the $#&-majors (probably forming four 16 team superconferences) and when that happens it won't make one flying f--k difference what conference a G-5 FB school is in. The happiness and excitement that some school's fans feel today by thinking they are moving up will be short-lived.

Reactions: MT Glenn
Mtneer: I tend to think that you are correct in that this could be the last "great wave" of conference realignment concerning G-5 schools regardless of Massaro stating that there will be more to come.
IMHO The next realignment will be the Power schools completely separating from the $#&-majors (probably forming four 16 team superconferences) and when that happens it won't make one flying f--k difference what conference a G-5 FB school is in. The happiness and excitement that some school's fans feel today by thinking they are moving up will be short-lived.

Exactly what I think. There are only so many places and so many teams. Conferences are going to get bigger and shrink in quantity.

Then you have this and they won't be the only school this happens to. Surprised it hasn't happened to us. Some schools no matter how bad they want it just can't afford move up.

Sam Houston State, a program high up on CUSA's expansion hotboard, just saw their students vote down a proposed increase in student fees that would have helped fund the athletic department:

Exactly what I think. There are only so many places and so many teams. Conferences are going to get bigger and shrink in quantity.

Then you have this and they won't be the only school this happens to. Surprised it hasn't happened to us. Some schools no matter how bad they want it just can't afford move up.

Sam Houston State, a program high up on CUSA's expansion hotboard, just saw their students vote down a proposed increase in student fees that would have helped fund the athletic department:
That was specifically in regards to Covid impacts. They would likely increase for a move to the FBS. Getting UTEP and LT at home would be huge for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT