ADVERTISEMENT

i guess nobody is going to address this

They say the hold up is the new president, but whatever. I know part of the hold up is men's soccer (currently ranked #2 in country) which SBC doesn't do. But time does matter. If the belt announces JMU, which the state already approved to jump to FBS, that'll leave the belt at an odd number. They won't wait for forever on Marshall.

From everything I'm hearing living in WV and using friends up there (my wife is Marshall alum) there will be a riot I they don't just do the belt.

I'm really trying to understand Massaro's apparent lack of strategy. Trying to read through his comments to make any sort of sense of it. Yes, I know that's pointless.

Perhaps MT is trying to wait out all these exits, collect a chunk of money from the exit fees and then look to jump to another conference a few years down the road. In other words - win on both ends. I think it's pretty silly to think that would work, but that might be what they are focused on.

I'm really trying to understand Massaro's apparent lack of strategy. Trying to read through his comments to make any sort of sense of it. Yes, I know that's pointless.

Perhaps MT is trying to wait out all these exits, collect a chunk of money from the exit fees and then look to jump to another conference a few years down the road. In other words - win on both ends. I think it's pretty silly to think that would work, but that might be what they are focused on.
Absolutely nothing in Massaro's history would suggest that he's thinking like that. Or thinking at all.

Absolutely nothing in Massaro's history would suggest that he's thinking like that. Or thinking at all.
IIRC, his salary is at the bottom of the conference... 7 wood calls the shots and uses Massaro to handle daily department business.

I don't think they are focused on anything competitive.

I think a decision was made by the leadership to run a clean, APR positive program that meets minimum benchmarks and doesn't embarrass the school (off the field). According to M&M, mission accomplished. I don't think they care one bit about anything else - conference affiliation, etc.

Any sort of on-field competitiveness is simply a bonus, not a requirement.

I don't think they are focused on anything competitive.

I think a decision was made by the leadership to run a clean, APR positive program that meets minimum benchmarks and doesn't embarrass the school (off the field). According to M&M, mission accomplished. I don't think they care one bit about anything else - conference affiliation, etc.

Any sort of on-field competitiveness is simply a bonus, not a requirement.
Sure looks that way.

They say the hold up is the new president, but whatever. I know part of the hold up is men's soccer (currently ranked #2 in country) which SBC doesn't do. But time does matter. If the belt announces JMU, which the state already approved to jump to FBS, that'll leave the belt at an odd number. They won't wait for forever on Marshall.

From everything I'm hearing living in WV and using friends up there (my wife is Marshall alum) there will be a riot I they don't just do the belt.

I guess Marshall doesn’t have a problem with JMU. Southern Miss may be down right now but they have a Div. I history in Football that goes back decades even before Brett Favre, old CUSA and being an Independent. I’ll miss being conference members with them. We appear to be content to stay in the currents and go over the falls with new CUSA.
I can’t believe how quickly my alma mater has regressed over the past 10 years when there was so much excitement after the 2009 NOLA Bowl when my Blue Raiders stomped a mud hole in “Old” CUSA Champion, So. Miss. I was there, I was proud, I was True Blue.

LINK: Marshall and Southern Miss on the move to the SunBelt

Last edited:
I guess Marshall doesn’t have a problem with JMU. Southern Miss may be down right now but they have a Div. I history in Football that goes back decades even before Brett Favre, old CUSA and being an Independent. I’ll miss being conference members with them. We appear to be content to stay in the currents and go over the falls with new CUSA.
I can’t believe how quickly my alma mater has regressed over the past 10 years when there was so much excitement after the 2009 NOLA Bowl when my Blue Raiders stomped a mud hole in “Old” CUSA Champion, So. Miss. I was there, I was proud, I was True Blue.

LINK: Marshall and Southern Miss on the move to the SunBelt
USM ain't coming back. If they couldn't win here, they sure as hell ain't winning in the belt. They couldn't even beat South Bama. Now they have to recruit head to head with them? LOL. Good luck. Play in Mississippi vs. Mobile? LOL.

CUSA is still pitching the hell out of them. It may be over but they haven't pulled the trigger yet for whatever reason. You know what the pitch is. The AAC won't take you ever if you go to the belt and they are right. The AAC not going after Marshall was so stupid. However, they are stalling for a reason and the AAC is a pretty good reason no matter how I feel about them.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
CUSA is still pitching the hell out of them. It may be over but they haven't pulled the trigger yet for whatever reason. You know what the pitch is. The AAC won't take you ever if you go to the belt and they are right. The AAC not going after Marshall was so stupid. However, they are stalling for a reason and the AAC is a pretty good reason no matter how I feel about them.

Marshall is just waiting to announce their move to the SBC. It’s a done deal, but Marshall is announcing a new university president this week and they want his first big decision to be their move to the SBC so they have held off on the announcement. Marshall should announce and confirm their move to the SBC very soon, maybe even within the next 48 hours

Marshall is just waiting to announce their move to the SBC. It’s a done deal, but Marshall is announcing a new university president this week and they want his first big decision to be their move to the SBC so they have held off on the announcement. Marshall should announce and confirm their move to the SBC very soon, maybe even within the next 48 hours
Not what their AD said right when they were announcing Brad Smith as their new pres today.

“We have made no decision about what conference we are going to go in, whether it will stay in C-USA or go into another conference,” he said. “We have gathered information. I have shared that information with Dr. (Jerome) Gilbert and Chairman (Patrick) Farrell.”

Not saying it won't happen as you are saying but it ain't as slam dunk as we would think.

Maybe if ODU stayed Marshall would have considered staying but I just don’t see a scenario now where Marshall will stay.

their leadership sees what’s being said by their fans online. There’s no way they stay. The Sun Belt is far more geographically friendly to Marshall than CUSA now. It makes total sense for them to leave from a geographical standpoint, better football, better TV deal, better everything.

there is no logical or sensible reason for Marshall to stay in CUSA. There’s no logical or sensible reason for WKU/MT to stay in CUSA either, but we don’t have a choice.

The only logical reason possible is maybe moving up to the AAC when Memphis and SMU jets. AAC won't pick from the Belt. Just CUSA. 6 picks for weaker teams with no real proven market power or views per game proved that. There are no other reasons. I definitely agree.

Reactions: TRUEBLUE73
Taking the CM route?

Tske the exit money then wait for the next realignment to fall in your lap.

I think it is possible to be picked up by the AAC if Memphis and SMU leave. In order for that to happen we need to break ground on the facilities improvements. Obviously competing for conference championships in football and basketball will help, but that is apparently not necessary based on who the AAC got. Just show a commitment to winning and I think the facilities upgrades may do that. I have zero confidence that happens, but I can hope.

I think it is possible to be picked up by the AAC if Memphis and SMU leave. In order for that to happen we need to break ground on the facilities improvements. Obviously competing for conference championships in football and basketball will help, but that is apparently not necessary based on who the AAC got. Just show a commitment to winning and I think the facilities upgrades may do that. I have zero confidence that happens, but I can hope.
Well they still not made any official announcement about besides a brief mention in Massaro's instagram missive. No F'n sense of urgency. No clue. And what I can tell from is that 'phase may not be complete until 2024 and whatever conference alignment may have passed us by by that time.

I have a whole lot of expletives to apply to this that I can drop here but I won't. Frustrating, aggravating, infuriating, lack of action.

Yes this was my thought as well. With the recent AAC adds, it isnt about winning. Memphis blocked us, Im sure. If/When they leave, I could see us getting the AAC nod....maybe I'm dreaming.

The truth is though, without Memphis and SMU, AAC is just as much of a turd sandwich as the rest of the conferences. There is very little parity left. Im starting to think that maybe staying in a watered down CUSA gives us the opportunity to win consistently now. Build our brand some.

This is all just ridiculous.

When Memphis and SMU leave the AAC is pretty much C-USA 5.0
I could see SMU and Memphis going to the Big 12, which MAYBE then MT could beg and plead to go to the AAC.

Im surprised SMU hasn’t been pushing to move on to something bigger. They have tons of $ and a decent following in sports.

Maybe AAC is still a hope for us?

I could see SMU and Memphis going to the Big 12, which MAYBE then MT could beg and plead to go to the AAC.

Im surprised SMU hasn’t been pushing to move on to something bigger. They have tons of $ and a decent following in sports.

Some former SWC schools in the B12 blame SMU for the collapse of that conference. Long memories. The B12 would need to be desperate again before offering SMU.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I'm wondering why it seems as though MT is so toxic to the SBC? Did we piss them off when we left?

My understanding is some things were said when we didn't get a bowl in '12, our last season in SBC, after finishing 8-4. Essentially accusing them of locking us out.

Reactions: BRaiderDave

with Memphis and SMU gone, I am not sure I would even want to go. Only reason would be ESPN

if CUSA can get ESPN and add some regional power FCS programs + $36 million in exit fees….I like that option.

what’s most important, IMO, is for MT to focus on MT regardless of what happens. We have to greatly improve our facilities immediately, find better coaches, and try to restore some fan support. Doing those first two things would go a long way in helping rebuild rapport with fans/community.

I think the university presidents should also push for a new conference commish. Judy has absolutely failed this conference. I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep her around. It’s been one blunder after another, with the most notable being our pathetic TV deal.

with Memphis and SMU gone, I am not sure I would even want to go. Only reason would be ESPN

if CUSA can get ESPN and add some regional power FCS programs + $36 million in exit fees….I like that option.

what’s most important, IMO, is for MT to focus on MT regardless of what happens. We have to greatly improve our facilities immediately, find better coaches, and try to restore some fan support. Doing those first two things would go a long way in helping rebuild rapport with fans/community.

I think the university presidents should also push for a new conference commish. Judy has absolutely failed this conference. I don’t understand why anyone would want to keep her around. It’s been one blunder after another, with the most notable being our pathetic TV deal.
AAC is going to take a huge hit with their losses plus they take a big hit with their additions.

If MT gets any share of the exit money that should go to buying out our craptastic football and basketball head coaches. We have to get some decent coaches in place and rebuilding winning programs and regaining credibility, if possible, with fans.

Yeah, Judy has to go. Does she have a contract?

Last edited:
From my standpoint that is exactly what the sun belt did.

Oh I 100% agree. There is a large part of me that wishes it would happen to those who are leaving us, but we all know Judy doesn't operate that way.

By said I meant by the admin. Which I can see.it both ways. Say it or keep it in.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
By said I meant by the admin. Which I can see.it both ways. Say it or keep it in.
Well it has been what, 8 or 9 years??? What sun belt programs that were there with us, has ADs or Presidents that were there when we were? I'm betting that not but one or two, if that. Most universities are blessed with ambitious ADs and Presidents that move on, up, or out, same with conference officers. MT is extremely rare in having a President for two decades, and an AD and football coach now approaching two decades.

I imagine that those that were offended by anything said (the truth) and were responsible for screwing MT, locking the Raiders out of a Bowl, are actually no longer there.

If MT gets any share of the exit money that should go to buying our craptastic football and basketball head coaches. We have to get some decent coaches in place and rebuilding winning programs and regaining credibility, if possible, with fans.

This is so important to get the athletic programs rebuilt asap.

I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that the B12 grabs a few more AAC schools here soon (when TX and OU leave for the SEC), and the AAC is going to backfill from the 'Belt, not CUSA.

But following the dominos, the Belt is going to have to backfill from somewhere - and if you look at their map, there's a giant hole right in the middle where Tennessee and Kentucky are.

When this happens, we cannot have a 5-7 football program with 3,500 fans in the stands to offer. We have to have some life in the basketball program.

Well it has been what, 8 or 9 years??? What sun belt programs that were there with us, has ADs or Presidents that were there when we were? I'm betting that not but one or two, if that. Most universities are blessed with ambitious ADs and Presidents that move on, up, or out, same with conference officers. MT is extremely rare in having a President for two decades, and an AD and football coach now approaching two decades.

I imagine that those that were offended by anything said (the truth) and were responsible for screwing MT, locking the Raiders out of a Bowl, are actually no longer there.

And Benson is gone as well. Granted he was only there one year with us, but it was the last year.

Maybe invite UNC-Ashville. With all the crap we have given ole RingALing on here the least we can do is give 'em a phone call.

My first thought when I saw the new map was the old OVC logo map they used with their Conference Office sitting square in the middle of the old Koger Center (now City Park) in Brentwood.
The SunBelt would have been perfect for us instead of being a southern outlier for the MAC (assuming they’ll even take us).
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on while the CUSA just melts away one school at a time (or 3).
And for someone who said previously that So.Miss has no CUSA titles….. they have 5 under Jeff Bower and our old friend Larry Fedora when CUSA was even tougher. ‘96, ‘97, ‘99, ‘03, ‘11. Like I said, USM is down right now but they will be back. They’re still recovering from Ellis Johnson’s and Tommy West’s 0-12 season. Gen. Hammond came in and cleaned house. He’s an old USM QB from my days.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Alan Farley posting on Facebook how it’s such a terrible thing to be interested in the MAC, don’t let WKU lead us in this direction, you’re judged by the company you keep, etc.

Right because being in a conference with Tarleton State is going to be better. The stupidity runs strong among some people with connections… not good

Alan Farley posting on Facebook how it’s such a terrible thing to be interested in the MAC, don’t let WKU lead us in this direction, you’re judged by the company you keep, etc.

Right because being in a conference with Tarleton State is going to be better. The stupidity runs strong among some people with connections… not good
He’s right. We don’t belong in the MAC. The only problem is there may never be another choice for us after what McPhee and Massaro have done to our program.

And btw the MAC talk is anything but a done deal. I have mixed feelings because financially we’re going to be in a much stronger place three years from now if we stay in C-USA. There is a lot of money on the table that’s going to be left behind especially if the league stays slim and splits revenues with only eight schools particularly given the number of NCAA Tourney units the league still has. As I said in another post, stick it out for a few years, collect those millions and reposition ourselves during that time with new commitment to facilities and coaches.

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT