ADVERTISEMENT

Football Attendance

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
I was looking over attendance figures and thought I’d share. Interesting to look at.

2022- 14,364
2021- 15,017
2020- COVID
2019- 14,253
2018- 15,577
2017- 15,620
2016- 17,243
2015- 17,210
2014- 17,408
2013- 18,715
2012- 17,738
2011- 18,407
2010- 19,024
2009- 20,517
2008- 20,227
2007- 18,530
2006- 22,037
2005- 14,526
2004- not recorded
2003- 11,021

The trend is not good.
Those numbers are “reported” attendance. Anyone who has been to a mid-season home game the last few years knows what actual “butts in seats” look like. Senior Day crowds when eliminated from any chance at the conference title game after 5 weeks is pretty telling.
Hang another “bowl champion” banner.

Reactions: JohnDavidBlue
Those numbers are “reported” attendance. Anyone who has been to a mid-season home game the last few years knows what actual “butts in seats” look like. Senior Day crowds when eliminated from any chance at the conference title game after 5 weeks is pretty telling.
Hang another “bowl champion” banner.
That’s always been the case (based on my research). I dove into all the seasons and it is a trend but attendance has lost a couple of thousand for each game it seems.

It is worth pointing out that the 2006 season with 22,037 had a home game against #8 Louisville that was played in Nashville. That game had an attendance of 32,797. Removing that game the attendance would have been 19,347.

As the years have dragged by under the Stockstill regime, the difference between reported and actual attendance, has significantly increased. The longer Stockstill still coaches, the more the university has fudged those numbers. It strains credulity beyond the point of any faith in those reporting the numbers.

As the years have dragged by under the Stockstill regime, the difference between reported and actual attendance, has significantly increased. The longer Stockstill still coaches, the more the university has fudged those numbers. It strains credulity beyond the point of any faith in those reporting the numbers.
That's one of the biggest issues at this point. It's honestly embarrassing. There are plenty of schools that aren't very good but announce crowds that are actually near the butts-in-seats reality. I have a Rutgers season ticket and usually, surprisingly, we have great crowds (until it gets cold and they are already out of bowl contention lol). Meanwhile MT loves to talk up a storm about how many bowls the team has made but... no one cares. It's like that old saying If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

That's one of the biggest issues at this point. It's honestly embarrassing. There are plenty of schools that aren't very good but announce crowds that are actually near the butts-in-seats reality. I have a Rutgers season ticket and usually, surprisingly, we have great crowds (until it gets cold and they are already out of bowl contention lol). Meanwhile MT loves to talk up a storm about how many bowls the team has made but... no one cares. It's like that old saying If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
And it is gonna be worse once the new CFP starts. Which I am all for by the way. (Still think all conf champs should make it...but it's a start) But it will literally be conference championship or bust.

Those other bowls, no one is gonna care. And I wouldn't be surprised if they drastically change once the new CFP contract is signed for '26.

It's why I've said we need to win bowls for the publicity now, because that PR will be gone. Cause we all know a championship most likely won't happen with Stock. Miracles can happen but even in a year with 3 of the top 4 teams gone and two FCS jumps, we still aren't predicted to win. That speaks volumes.

It'll take new blood to get those numbers up.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
At one time I did a search for articles on the reason(s) for letting Donnelly and later McCollum go, but couldn't find them. IIRC, especially Boots, he was blamed for attendance/lack of support during the disastrous last 4 years of mccollum's coaching regime. This period of the last 7 or 8 years, have been progressively worse under stockstill and massaro than Boots and andymac could have been during an equal amount of time, and that falls on the clown in charge, mcphee.

Reactions: MTOleBlue and Hop45
At one time I did a search for articles on the reason(s) for letting Donnelly and later McCollum go, but couldn't find them. IIRC, especially Boots, he was blamed for attendance/lack of support during the disastrous last 4 years of mccollum's coaching regime. This period of the last 7 or 8 years, have been progressively worse under stockstill and massaro than Boots and andymac could have been during an equal amount of time, and that falls on the clown in charge, mcphee.
I really think that was a splash to clean house. Not have an AD from Walker's time. I truly 100000% believe McP doesn't see athletics as a priority. I don't mean over academics at all. But as we've said, athletics can be used to build academics.

IDK if McP doesn't see the importance or just doesn't care. I have my thoughts but I'll keep 'em to myself.

EDIT....there also is a part of me that says McP honestly felt a change would help to win and boost attendance. Now, in the school's eye, we are winning and attendance is the same, so why bother with another change. Thing is the landscape has drastically changed.

Stock leaving will help attendance a bit, but I really think there won't be a major increase in attendance, and especially donations, until McP is gone. Idk if Smith leaving the board soon will move that along or not.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I really think that was a splash to clean house. Not have an AD from Walker's time. I truly 100000% believe McP doesn't see athletics as a priority. I don't mean over academics at all. But as we've said, athletics can be used to build academics.

IDK if McP doesn't see the importance or just doesn't care. I have my thoughts but I'll keep 'em to myself.

EDIT....there also is a part of me that says McP honestly felt a change would help to win and boost attendance. Now, in the school's eye, we are winning and attendance is the same, so why bother with another change. Thing is the landscape has drastically changed.

Stock leaving will help attendance a bit, but I really think there won't be a major increase in attendance, and especially donations, until McP is gone. Idk if Smith leaving the board soon will move that along or not.
I totally agree that attendance will not improve till The Olympic Swimmer is gone...

I don't think a change will improve attendance much at all. Too many fans have found other things to do with their time and money at this point. I still go to a game or 2, but no longer have season tickets. If I had to drive more than the 2 miles to get to the stadium, I probably wouldn't make the effort. Our fan base is very apathetic at this point which, to me, is worse than being angry. Being mad means you still care.

I don't think a change will improve attendance much at all. Too many fans have found other things to do with their time and money at this point. I still go to a game or 2, but no longer have season tickets. If I had to drive more than the 2 miles to get to the stadium, I probably wouldn't make the effort. Our fan base is very apathetic at this point which, to me, is worse than being angry. Being mad means you still care.
It's definitely possible. I wouldn't be so sure of that if I didn't go to most Rutgers home football games... people have pride, they go to the games because they're fun and there's a lot to do (for example - RU Boardwalk, based on the Atlantic coast boardwalks of NJ fame). Granted, it's THE football university in New Jersey, but still. A program like JMU, for example, or App State... There's some stuff to do at MT but it's just a different vibe and one that honestly I'm not sure will change until there is an organizational change -- most notably with the HC.

Reactions: RaiderDeez
It's definitely possible. I wouldn't be so sure of that if I didn't go to most Rutgers home football games... people have pride, they go to the games because they're fun and there's a lot to do (for example - RU Boardwalk, based on the Atlantic coast boardwalks of NJ fame). Granted, it's THE football university in New Jersey, but still. A program like JMU, for example, or App State... There's some stuff to do at MT but it's just a different vibe and one that honestly I'm not sure will change until there is an organizational change -- most notably with the HC.
I believe the big difference with those schools is location. Small college towns produce passionate fans. Those that have high students totals living on campus and not much to do outside of campus do well generally. Those in large cities need to win a lot to get that result. The beauty of our situation is, if we were to win A LOT, our opportunity to grow the fan base is way more than someone like Jacksonville St (great attendance but not room to grow). UTSA 2021 is a great example of what can happen. Their first home game of the season they had 16,229 in attendance (even less the following week). By the time they hosted the conference championship game at 11-1 they had 41,148. I feel ours would do the same if we rattled off a season like that. I know we played for a championship back in 2018 but 8-4 rolling into a championship game doesn’t feel the same as 11-1. We just need to win.

I believe the big difference with those schools is location. Small college towns produce passionate fans. Those that have high students totals living on campus and not much to do outside of campus do well generally. Those in large cities need to win a lot to get that result. The beauty of our situation is, if we were to win A LOT, our opportunity to grow the fan base is way more than someone like Jacksonville St (great attendance but not room to grow). UTSA 2021 is a great example of what can happen. Their first home game of the season they had 16,229 in attendance (even less the following week). By the time they hosted the conference championship game at 11-1 they had 41,148. I feel ours would do the same if we rattled off a season like that. I know we played for a championship back in 2018 but 8-4 rolling into a championship game doesn’t feel the same as 11-1. We just need to win.
Totally agreed

Don't bet on Smith leaving the BoT yet. There is still a possibility he sticks around. IIRC, the BoT bylaws only allow 2 terms and he's on 2nd term (I think), but they did some weird stuff when they started BoT that may allow him to stay on a bit longer. Again, don't quote me on this. Going off memory. But sharing what I remember to the best of my memory.

Now, re: attendance. It doesn't take Einstein to recognize the reported numbers are going in the wrong direction. And I'm curious what - if any - ramifications these may have for staying FBS (there is - or was - a rule about attendance).

I have my opinions re: ticket decline. I'll share them. But it's probably beating a dead horse.

1) Stock : Stock is a good man. The players love him. But most fans don't. And they are speaking with their wallets.

2) Ticket prices : Last time I did a deep dive into MT ticket prices (compared to peer schools), MT was over-priced. It's been a bit, but IMO, MT needs an approach more in line with minor league baseball (for most seats). Family friendly. In line with other entertainment options (movie, trampoline parks, etc).

I've spoken with FAR to many MT fans who are "out" and will remain "out" until Stock is gone. Not saying I agree (or disagree). Just sharing what I have heard. So I'm not 100% sold a different approach to GA / upper deck tickets makes a huge difference.

But BuildBlueNow is MUCH needed and I'm glad to see that, to this point, it has been successful. Can't wait to see the EndZone facility and hope it helps with recruiting, fan experience, etc.

Now, it's time to turn attention to gettin the Murphy Center update taken care off so the IPF can be built.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
A third thought :

My guess is a declining attendance is why MT is playing more P5 $$$ games. Need to pay bills.

A third thought :

My guess is a declining attendance is why MT is playing more P5 $$$ games. Need to pay bills.
At some point, the P5s or what's left of them may increase their number of conference games, screwing G5s addicted to that particular revenue source. In fact it may be impacting any shot of MT hosting any more P5 programs after Duke here in 2025. The schools may not be willing to come here under any circumstance in the future, or, it may benefit MT more financially to take the road money because as attractive having a P5 team in Floyd, season tickets or ticket sales are not that much affected because stockstill's teams have rolled over and played dead historically against P5s here.

Not sure what the reason is but after 2026 there are no P5s scheduled, just a couple of Sun Belt games in the 2030s and one memphis here (2027).

Great thoughts as always Austin.

Stock may be a good man. But his integrity, for me, is nonexistent. When you stay well past your abilities to the detriment of the school, you’ve lost me.
That's the thing though. I agree at this point he has overstayed his welcome. He absolutely is what we needed to clean from the Andy Mac mess. And he got that cleaned up. If he left after '09 none of us would have a bad word to say about him.

But he didn't and the program has 10000% grown stagnant. Literally middle .500. He has never been more than 9 games over .500 at the end of a season. Currently only 6 games over. He is what he is. And I personally do not think he is capable of what this school needs. Multiple double digit win seasons, conf champs, rankings, consistent wins over P5.

But does HE really think he is hurting anything? When your bosses are giving you contracts with achievable benchmarks (way low mind you but still) and you are meeting said benchmarks, it's hard to say he isn't doing his job.

I'm not defending him. If I were AD he absolutely would be gone. But there is a large part of me that honestly thinks he, CM, McP, BoT don't see anything major wrong.

And that is most disheartening of it all.

That's the thing though. I agree at this point he has overstayed his welcome. He absolutely is what we needed to clean from the Andy Mac mess. And he got that cleaned up. If he left after '09 none of us would have a bad word to say about him.

But he didn't and the program has 10000% grown stagnant. Literally middle .500. He has never been more than 9 games over .500 at the end of a season. Currently only 6 games over. He is what he is. And I personally do not think he is capable of what this school needs. Multiple double digit win seasons, conf champs, rankings, consistent wins over P5.

But does HE really think he is hurting anything? When your bosses are giving you contracts with achievable benchmarks (way low mind you but still) and you are meeting said benchmarks, it's hard to say he isn't doing his job.

I'm not defending him. If I were AD he absolutely would be gone. But there is a large part of me that honestly thinks he, CM, McP, BoT don't see anything major wrong.

And that is most disheartening of it all.
According to what I’ve been told, it’s McPhee.

Well, McPhee outed himself when the BuildBlueNow campaign launched and he said “after being left out of this round of realignment, I know realize facilities are important.” (Or something like that)

I’m convinced based on comments & actions that McPhee sees MT athletics as a really expensive PE dept.

At the end of the day progress is happening. We’ve won two bowl games in a row, build blue now is moving forward and CUSA is finally making some good decisions. Rick, Chris and McPhee will be gone eventually. I just hope you old guys are still around to see it. Go Blue!

At the end of the day progress is happening. We’ve won two bowl games in a row, build blue now is moving forward and CUSA is finally making some good decisions. Rick, Chris and McPhee will be gone eventually. I just hope you old guys are still around to see it. Go Blue!
And that's what is so exciting.

Yes, 6-6 (+/- a game) every seasons has gotten stale. There's frustration (and reasonably so).

But BuildBlueNow is a step in the RIGHT direction. A much needed step in the right direction. I've been surprised (and pleased) with the financial support and can't wait to see the finished product.

And that's what is so exciting.

Yes, 6-6 (+/- a game) every seasons has gotten stale. There's frustration (and reasonably so).

But BuildBlueNow is a step in the RIGHT direction. A much needed step in the right direction. I've been surprised (and pleased) with the financial support and can't wait to see the finished product.
10000%

I'm beyond stoked and will be there when it all opens, my name in the book or plaque or whatever as a donor.

We need BuildBlue regardless of who is coach, AD, or Pres. Yes it should've happened years ago. But it is now and I'm gonna support it.

Reactions: AustinLewis
10000%

I'm beyond stoked and will be there when it all opens, my name in the book or plaque or whatever as a donor.

We need BuildBlue regardless of who is coach, AD, or Pres. Yes it should've happened years ago. But it is now and I'm gonna support it.
Exactly. BuildBlueNow WILL make a difference NOW.

But BuildBlueNow will be a HUGE selling point when Stock does hang up his whistle.

Gotta take the wins when, where, and how you can get them.

Complete candidness - my barometer of success is .... is the team at a point where I would take off an entire weekend to watch them in an opponents city multiple times a season for the pure joy of watching my team and supporting the players. That has been a loooooong time for me.

I am eager to pile in the ride to head to jacksonville state, wku, savannah...wherever.

But yes, gotta take the wins how you can get them.

I’m actually pretty happy to see Jacksonville St, Kennesaw St, and Liberty in the fold. They are all reasonable drives for our fans to make. They aren’t the most glamorous but neither was Charlotte.

I’m actually pretty happy to see Jacksonville St, Kennesaw St, and Liberty in the fold. They are all reasonable drives for our fans to make. They aren’t the most glamorous but neither was Charlotte.
I hated hated hated losing Marshall and Charlotte. Have family in both places and could make it in under 3hrs. Easy overnight or day trip. Plus they were opposite years so essentially guaranteed to see us every year.

Thanks realignment.

Lynchburg is about the same distance so most likely will hit there this year. Unless we are 2-5 which honestly I could see happening. Can see 5-2 also though.

I just want CUSA to stay regional as much as possible or our next move to be. But the AAC is almost national now. For non power schools that don't have a national or larger following, regional is important. Even in the Boro fans would rather see us play a team from Alabama they may recognize than Pennsylvania. But hey, what so I know being 6hrs away.

People down playing the addition of Kennesaw St clearly aren’t familiar with either the school or that side of the NW ATL ‘burbs. The school has exploded over the past 20 years, now the 2nd largest college in GA. Both the football & basketball stadium/gyms need to expand. Due to the growth there are a lot of new facilities on campus.
More importantly, it’s about 13 miles straight up I-75 from The Battery. If you’ve been to a Braves game you know there are a ton of restaurants & bars around Truist. Plus no shortage of hotels within a mile of The Battery. It would be an obvious choice to come down and make a full weekend of it.
Lived in The ‘Boro twice in my life. Still luv the town. Not sure how glamorous I think it is though. To me one of its biggest calling cards is its easy proximity to downtown Nashville.

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I hope KSU is able to capitalize on that growth from an athletic standpoint better than we did.

People down playing the addition of Kennesaw St clearly aren’t familiar with either the school or that side of the NW ATL ‘burbs. The school has exploded over the past 20 years, now the 2nd largest college in GA. Both the football & basketball stadium/gyms need to expand. Due to the growth there are a lot of new facilities on campus.
More importantly, it’s about 13 miles straight up I-75 from The Battery. If you’ve been to a Braves game you know there are a ton of restaurants & bars around Truist. Plus no shortage of hotels within a mile of The Battery. It would be an obvious choice to come down and make a full weekend of it.
Lived in The ‘Boro twice in my life. Still luv the town. Not sure how glamorous I think it is though. To me one of its biggest calling cards is its easy proximity to downtown Nashville.
Oh the Boro/MTSU isn’t glamorous either. At the end of the day I’m happy with all the additions. They are about as good as we could ask for.

I’ve become an old guy waiting to see it.

Exactly. BuildBlueNow WILL make a difference NOW.

But BuildBlueNow will be a HUGE selling point when Stock does hang up his whistle.

Gotta take the wins when, where, and how you can get them.
Build Blue will have two things happen. 1) It will be scaled back because there isn’t enough money to complete it and 2) it will already be behind its time by the time it’s done.

Build Blue will have two things happen. 1) It will be scaled back because there isn’t enough money to complete it and 2) it will already be behind its time by the time it’s done.
#2 is absolutely true. Upgrades shouldn't be a "finish, wait several years, decide they need upgraded, a few years of funding, then build".

It should be a non-stop exercise of seeking funding so upgrades happen as needed and not when the stairs to the upper deck are rusted etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT