ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL ranking the 2022 season

blueraiderJT

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 15, 2006
So after thinking abou this season, I decided to rank this season up to all the others. Here goes....

1. 2009 season - 10 wins and bowl win
2. 2012 - 8-4 GaTech win, WKU win and #2 in the Belt
3. 2022 - 8-5 Miami #25 win with the bowl game win
4. 2018 - 8-6 East Champs
5. 2001 - 8-3 Vandy Win - Co SBC Champs
6. 2006 - 7-6 Co SBC champs
7. 2016 - 8-5 - Mizzou win
8. 2017 - 7-6 Bowl Win, Syracuse win
9. 2021 - 7-6 Bowl Win
10. 2013 - 8-5 - Marshall win

I would switch #4 and #5 but otherwise, much to the chagrin of the negatrons on this board, I would agree.

This was a good year, and one we can build on. You NEED years like this to get to higher summits.

I'd agree. Is it a great year, no. But it is positive momentum going in to multiple years with B2B bowl WINS for the first time EVER.

It absolutely is something to build on from a fan standpoint, a public perception standpoint, and on recruiting.

My worry is that rather than using this as momentum build to something greater, the school admin (mainly McPhee in my book) will see it as the peak.

These bowls will mean less in two years once the new playoff starts. Conference champs will matter even more. You could argue it is all that will matter. You'll have the 12 teams, and then I dare say two bowls will work themselves out for the remaining champs. The rest will just be noise. Forget playing alone on a Christmas Eve. The playoff games will start much earlier and is what will matter. We need to take these two wins and the next final 4team year to win again and maintain our name as a winner and set THE focus not on bowl eligibility after that but on championships. With a focus on strategic scheduling as well to aid in that.

I'd agree. Is it a great year, no. But it is positive momentum going in to multiple years with B2B bowl WINS for the first time EVER.

It absolutely is something to build on from a fan standpoint, a public perception standpoint, and on recruiting.

My worry is that rather than using this as momentum build to something greater, the school admin (mainly McPhee in my book) will see it as the peak.

These bowls will mean less in two years once the new playoff starts. Conference champs will matter even more. You could argue it is all that will matter. You'll have the 12 teams, and then I dare say two bowls will work themselves out for the remaining champs. The rest will just be noise. Forget playing alone on a Christmas Eve. The playoff games will start much earlier and is what will matter. We need to take these two wins and the next final 4team year to win again and maintain our name as a winner and set THE focus not on bowl eligibility after that but on championships. With a focus on strategic scheduling as well to aid in that.
This is part of the reason I want to stay at 10 teams. Conference championships mean more when more than one or two teams are in the running late. I think 2 divisions of 7 teams really loses a lot of the buzz for the title vs taking the top 2 from 10.

The good news is UAB, UTSA, North Texas, FAU and Charlotte are all gone next year to the AAC.

Bad news is WKU and LaTech are still here and Liberty is about to kick in the door.

Thank goodness for TSU, FIU, UTEP and 3-9 Colorado St.

Just for kicks, I looked it up. The 2012 GT team actually played for a conference title. Lol, they were also 7-7 that season but defeated USC in the bowl game

This is part of the reason I want to stay at 10 teams. Conference championships mean more when more than one or two teams are in the running late. I think 2 divisions of 7 teams really loses a lot of the buzz for the title vs taking the top 2 from 10.
I'd agree. To me it either is 10 with no divisions or go to 16 and use pods with a conference playoff format like I've posted before. Either way it stays at 8 conference games.

Divisions do nothing but make what Matt said about GT in '12 happen way more often. A hovering around .500 regular season playing for a championship. Shouldn't happen. Still can as it did for CUSA this year with UNT but is way more possible with divisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT