ADVERTISEMENT

Weeknight Football Attendance

ewglenn

Oct 6, 2021
Over on the CSNBBS website there has been a lot of upset CUSA fans about weeknight games. They are really worried about it affecting attendance. I’ll probably dig more into other years but I figured I’d share here what I found. I think these games will help us a lot based off history.

2010 (went 6-7)
Minnesota (Thur)- 25,908
Austin Peay (Sat)- 16,806
Troy (Tues)- 28,010
ULM (Sat)- 19,052
UNT (Sat)- 14,227
FAU (Sat)- 10,140

I picked 2008 because FAU wasn’t a rival or P5 for comparison.

2008 (went 5-7)
Troy (Thur)- 22,307
Maryland (Sat)- 22,605
FAU (Tues)- 25,766
ULM (Sat)- 16,150
UNT (Sat)- 14,307

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I hate the term suitcase school but it kinda is true. I remember being on campus my first 3 years the weekends were dead. Special hours for even the dining halls, those that were open.
Not to mention all the parties were on Thursdays so kids could recoup before heading home Friday. Not that I ever did that..honestly didn't even have my first drink till I was 20.

For us, this absolutely should increase attendance. I hope Lee and his team market the you know what out of it.

For an entertainment option, which is what we are - we're not just competing with the SEC on saturdays, but everything else that a fall weekend in a major metro area offers as well. It's just not a good idea.

I know it sucks for the guys who like to tailgate all day and such, but this is the first smart thing that's happened to MT football in a long while.

I tried searching for ratings of our own cable game last year, UTSA, but couldn't find it. Miami was on ACCN and I couldn't find it either.

Most MACtion games averaged around 200-300k. Doesn't seem like a lot but no doubt we don't hit that on ESPN+ on a Saturday afternoon with Penn State and OSU on ABC etc.

We also have the advantage over the MAC of being earlier in the season. We are on weeks 5-9 while MAC is 9-13 or so. Less chance for games with two really bad losing record teams.

2009 (10-3)
Memphis (Sat) 28,105
I tried searching for ratings of our own cable game last year, UTSA, but couldn't find it. Miami was on ACCN and I couldn't find it either.

Most MACtion games averaged around 200-300k. Doesn't seem like a lot but no doubt we don't hit that on ESPN+ on a Saturday afternoon with Penn State and OSU on ABC etc.

We also have the advantage over the MAC of being earlier in the season. We are on weeks 5-9 while MAC is 9-13 or so. Less chance for games with two really bad losing record teams.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
I see what you're saying, but using attendance numbers from 08-10 may not be the best reference point. That was the pinnacle of MT football and fan engagement, in my opinion. I would be surprised if we hit 15k on the weeknight games this upcoming season.

EDIT: Here's what I found for 2011-2022
2022 - UTSA 15,020 (Sept 30th/Fri, blackout game)
2021 - none
2020 - none
2019 - none
2018 - WKU 16,617 (Nov 2nd/Fri, salute to veterans/armed forces)
2017 - Marshall 13,415 (Oct 20th/Fri, blackout game)
2016 - none
2015 - none
2014 - none
2013 - Marshall 19,898 (Oct 24th/Thurs, 1st year in C-USA)
2012 - McNeese St 18,690 (Aug 30th/Thurs, home/season opener)
2011 - WKU 23,307 (Oct 6th/Thurs)

Last edited:
All of our recent midweek games have been on a Friday and poorly attended. I think the Tues/Wed/Thurs have a better opportunity for more people, especially students, so who knows, maybe we'll see some decent numbers for these games. The Friday games also compete with local high school games.
Yeah having so many local football games on Friday those always are low. I think Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are good gauges.

X3
I see what you're saying, but using attendance numbers from 08-10 may not be the best reference point. That was the pinnacle of MT football and fan engagement, in my opinion. I would be surprised if we hit 15k on the weeknight games this upcoming season.

EDIT: Here's what I found for 2011-2022
2022 - UTSA 15,020 (Sept 30th/Fri, blackout game)
2021 - none
2020 - none
2019 - none
2018 - WKU 16,617 (Nov 2nd/Fri, salute to veterans/armed forces)
2017 - Marshall 13,415 (Oct 20th/Fri, blackout game)
2016 - none
2015 - none
2014 - none
2013 - Marshall 19,898 (Oct 24th/Thurs, 1st year in C-USA)
2012 - McNeese St 18,690 (Aug 30th/Thurs, home/season opener)
2011 - WKU 23,307 (Oct 6th/Thurs)
This. We won’t have 5K on a Tues or Wed night actual butts in seats.

For an entertainment option, which is what we are - we're not just competing with the SEC on saturdays, but everything else that a fall weekend in a major metro area offers as well. It's just not a good idea.

I know it sucks for the guys who like to tailgate all day and such, but this is the first smart thing that's happened to MT football in a long while.
I've been saying this for years, Scheduling games when the SEC is playing is stupid. We will never pack it in with that strategy. Tuesdays - Thursdays however, gives students and local folks an option to pay attention to us while still being able to watch their SEC game on the weelend.

The SEC and students not living on campus does play a big factor in attendance imo. Will it fix all of our issues? No, but it should help attendance. Winning will ultimately help the most but we all know that’s not changing until after Rick hangs it up.

I’d imagine a good portion of attendees (might not be the majority) attend to have something to do with the family that’s reasonably priced. Or community related (night at the game with the church?). To get these folks, the competitors for their attention aren’t necessarily other CFB games; they’re other events.

Honestly, in my own personal situation, the wife isn’t a football fan at all. I get all day Sunday to watch NFL games, she knows that’s my “don’t disturb me” time, but it’s not fair to have that for Saturday too. Saturdays are usually for my honey do list, or spend time with her (don’t have kids), do errands, etc. If the “spend time with her” portion involves going to a football game, that sort of cheats the purpose. For myself, it’d be friendlier to my situation to attend a weeknight game vs something on Saturday.

Reactions: ewglenn
The reason MT doesn't have fans on Saturday game days is not because of the $ec...
The hell it ain't. Who wants to watch MT play nowhere st. when UT, BAMA, Miss st., UGA, FLA, etc is playing? Even when people come to the games, they end up watching SEC games in their suite. Yeah, we aren't always that great but to say the SEC ain't a factor is simply not true.

Reactions: DisgruntledAlum
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT