ADVERTISEMENT

Dixon and Johnson gone!!!

"Only" Johnson? Only the best player on the team....and we've got like 7 players on the roster now....

I'm not sure things could have gone any worse than they have thus far.....

Nothing but negatives since McDevitt was hired.

Yes, only Johnson and now we have the opportunity to possibly get better players to replace the ones that weren't going to contribute much.

Hoped that a big loss of current players could have been avoided. On the other hand, it's not entirely surprising to have huge turnover during HC change. Only one or two further points that have been somewhat disappointing. Kermit seeming care for MT program left me with some hope that the transition might have been somewhat smooth as it could be for a big change. Sadly, I've wondered if Kermit wasn't using the situation to help buttress his new roster. Speaking of Kermit's transition, it seems to me that his pending departure from MT likely contributed to the seemingly inexplicable losses at the end of the season that ruined the chances for the NCAA.

One other area that needs improvement in my opinion is our new CNM could really help smooth some of the rough patches if he were to be better communicating with the alums and fans who are invested in the program. If he has a vision for building a whole new team his way, it would have been nice for him to somehow get the word out. Running across half the team leaving on Twitter does not exactly go over well with dedicated and eager fans. Maybe he had some gatherings of fans and supporters that I do not know about. If not some sort of social gathering where he could speak to supporters, some open communication in local media would likely have gotten the word around.

All of these big changes do happen. Even if they don't happen much, it's still life. As much as I've enjoyed the huge run of MT basketball success, change was inevitable. Had Kermit stayed, even he admitted this upcoming season would have been a down year. In all likelihood, the next 2-3 years will give us a good idea as to CNM prospects for success at MT. If he's doing well, we'll likely be chuckling about the bumps in the early road. If he's failing and/or falling flat on his face, we'll all likely be complaining and fussing about everything anyways. In my view, CNM still has as good a chance as any to do good and big things at and for MT bball.

One fact keeps coming to mind: In the season that MT had possibly it's best or one of it's best seasons ever, MT played the team coached by CNM when playing UNC-A on a neutral floor. In a tournament that MT won while playing well with talented players, MT still had to battle all the way to pull out a win by a few points vs a CNM team that was from a conference that MT should have easily dominated. Working with far less resources, fan support, and recruiting base etc etc, a top Kermit team was barely better than a CNM team. With that in mind, it sure seems possible that CNM can build a heck of a successful team and program when he is in an improved position regarding conference, support, brand, fans etc.

Reactions: BlueAlpha and Hop45
I know to not put much stock into things that appear on Twitter. Anyone know anything about the departing players situation that explains it a little better? I'm not accepting this as fact or anything, but there is some talk of some breaking of some established rules by a number of players, not just one player. The other idea floating around out there is that the current players were looking at limited mins as CNM is bringing a number of his chosen players. Those type of situations seem feasible, but are not established as fact at this point. Curious if anyone has any further knowledge of any facts beyond just some rumors?

Interesting in Bachrach's article on this recent turnover (available both in the DNJ and The Tennessean) he still lists Crump as a signee even though there had been no official word (IIRC) and he is not listed as being on the roster.
Either Bachrach has some knowledgeable contacts he trusts or he isn't doing a good job of keeping up.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
Timing isn't ideal and the decision isn't popular but if you actually knew why some of these guys were gone you wouldn't question why.. if you subscribe to the thinking that playing time under CNM was a factor for guys transferring but also think CKD (if he hadn't left) was going to easily replace the guys who graduated with the 3 incoming recruits and another stud grad transfer then playing time would've already been a factor.. seems that 'reason' for transferring is flawed.. the plain fact is these players are gone for reasons you may never know and for behaviors/actions/violations that don't sound like new events.. take that how you will..

As mentioned CNM has competed with far less resources against one of the best teams MTSU ever fielded.. CNM and his staff have recruited 4 players in the last 5 years that are all starting/producing at P5 programs and 2 more will sit out this year for Baylor & Clemson.. I know you all are invested in the program and the news isn't great recently because you don't know the why's behind the actions but let the man work and have some faith.. CKD isn't walking back through that door and I've seen little to believe in CKD's ability to recruit/develop 4 year talent.. bringing in regular rotations of 4 year guys will be the key to sustained success for the MTSU program and injects the player leadership required to win tough games- sprinkle in grad transfers as the opportunities arise instead of direly needing a stud grad each year is more sustainable as well... there's a reason coaches like CNM have multi-year contracts.. give him time.

As for the "repeated" violations: Never, not once, did we hear that Davis didn't run a tight ship. All the players held out, not taken on trips, and leaving (especially early) in his tenure along with the consecutive graduations (of those who finished their eligibility) don't back up any of the implications that McDevitt is cleaning house of problems.

I will admit, that from what I know, UNC schools have somewhat higher entrance requirements therefore McDevitt may be accustomed to dealing with somewhat different student/athletes but that's not a reason for the purge.

I will agree with kingaling42 in that, primarily because of limited media coverage, we may never know the real reasons for the dismissals/defections.

Lack of knowledge doesn't mean the behavior/actions are new.. and it is not necessarily an implication of either CNM or CKD or necessarily the former staff for various things to come to light.. it is quite possible for someone to have known but not necessarily CKD.

Reactions: Hop45 and MTOleBlue
Timing isn't ideal and the decision isn't popular but if you actually knew why some of these guys were gone you wouldn't question why.. if you subscribe to the thinking that playing time under CNM was a factor for guys transferring but also think CKD (if he hadn't left) was going to easily replace the guys who graduated with the 3 incoming recruits and another stud grad transfer then playing time would've already been a factor.. seems that 'reason' for transferring is flawed.. the plain fact is these players are gone for reasons you may never know and for behaviors/actions/violations that don't sound like new events.. take that how you will..

As mentioned CNM has competed with far less resources against one of the best teams MTSU ever fielded.. CNM and his staff have recruited 4 players in the last 5 years that are all starting/producing at P5 programs and 2 more will sit out this year for Baylor & Clemson.. I know you all are invested in the program and the news isn't great recently because you don't know the why's behind the actions but let the man work and have some faith.. CKD isn't walking back through that door and I've seen little to believe in CKD's ability to recruit/develop 4 year talent.. bringing in regular rotations of 4 year guys will be the key to sustained success for the MTSU program and injects the player leadership required to win tough games- sprinkle in grad transfers as the opportunities arise instead of direly needing a stud grad each year is more sustainable as well... there's a reason coaches like CNM have multi-year contracts.. give him time.

I think I heard what you were trying to say. Myself, I didn't get the impression that you were suggesting that there was some sort of purge with the recently departed players. Personally, I think you pretty much answered my questions without getting into student/athletes' off the court behavior, personal life, and confidential type stuff. Either way, I really don't have much of a problem with CNM having a bunch of changes as he transitions in. Lots of changes pretty much come with the turf of a HC change at a program. My main beef about the recent departures of several of the players was that I think communication could have been handled better. You know, a general heads up that there were still some substantial changes unfolding this summer that the staff was working through.

Speaking of recruiting & developing 4 year talent, I think that has generally been a recurring theme heard amongst MT's fans' discussions regarding recruiting over the years. That is, a fair amount of the fans, myself included, have typically wanted more 4 year recruits brought in and developed. That was some of the disappointment with losing those early signees. Finally MT was landing some quality rated players out of HS instead of JUCO and transfers. So in that regard, I think it will likely be appreciated if MT can land and develop 4 year players.

What I'm gathering in the early going is that CNM focus in recruiting is on quality relationships. Resultantly, it takes some time to build those relationships. That is why I'm thinking it will take until next year at the earliest for CNM to start landing the type of recruits he wants to build the program with.

Communication likely would've occurred had the moves been a planned event..

CNM & staff's style has been in fostering relationships over time- aside from Crump and Kevaughn Ellis (who landed at FAU) I don't believe that there were any other C-USA caliber recruits that the former UNCA staff were in on for this year given their 2018 recruiting was pretty much done for the scholarships available at UNCA.. that doesn't mean that there aren't prospects it just means that the staff is having to reconnect with some guys that are late qualifiers or are still undecided.. plus with only 1 or 2 seniors on the MTSU roster now I imagine the staff will want to have some flexibility to offer 2019s but it will interesting to see how that plays out now.. one thing you will not see is the shotgun approach where CNM offers 20 kids for 3 spots- lots of coaches use that approach but I doubt you see it from the current staff as they tend to value their targets

kingaling42: If I understand you correctly you believe that McDevitt will be much more selective in recruiting than that to which we are accustomed. It would be nice to have a staff who doesn't offer (which in many cases just gives the prospect one more tweet he can make and one more notch in his belt) unless the staff believes there is genuine interest on both parties.

Looking forward to seeing how many of those who we are reported as offering sign, or even have MT in their final lists. Hopefully we will have a clear indication by the early signing period of the '20 class in the fall of '19 as to how successful McDevitt will be on the recruiting trail. Gonna be a long year and a half waiting to make any judgements.

kingaling42: If I understand you correctly you believe that McDevitt will be much more selective in recruiting than that to which we are accustomed. It would be nice to have a staff who doesn't offer (which in many cases just gives the prospect one more tweet he can make and one more notch in his belt) unless the staff believes there is genuine interest on both parties.

Looking forward to seeing how many of those who we are reported as offering sign, or even have MT in their final lists. Hopefully we will have a clear indication by the early signing period of the '20 class in the fall of '19 as to how successful McDevitt will be on the recruiting trail. Gonna be a long year and a half waiting to make any judgements.

It certainly is how the staff has been operating while limited at UNCA- I don't think that strategy will change for highly valued targets (high level recruits and valued bigs).. but the resources available to CNM/staff are now substantially better, the academic requirements are more lenient, the demographics are more favorable, and I imagine varying strategies will be used.. but the 18 offers to 2019 kids on verbal commits seems disingenuous and I think a lot of kids see through that stuff- granted the majority of that list is not updated with the coaching change. CNM/staff were also recruiting 2019 TJ Bickerstaff while at UNCA so that's the only common offer I see.

I'm inclined to think Scurry will get back at least 1.5 years and a longshot of a full 2 years of eligibility since he missed that half year due to medical negligence by an NCAA institution. If you get 1.5 years you sit him first semester in order to have him ready to play in conference play.

So for now the scholarship board is something like this, known walk-ons in blue, sitting out next year in red- feel free to correct me as I'm not as familiar as some of you may be:
2019: Hawthorne, Gamble
2020: Scurry, Green, Miller
2021: CJ Jones, Shelton-Szmidt, Sims
2022: Crump, Massenburg

5 scholarships available..

My buddy is a 2x grad of Missouri State and is an avid follower and attends numerous games per season there. He is pretty excited about Dixon coming in and their team/new coach (Ford from Tennessee State). He said to me that we swapped "two bench guys for a starter". He said that he was never impressed with either guy who is coming our way now (on tape anyways). Just his opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT