ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Defense wins championships

SpaceRaider

Blue Raider Legend
Gold Member
Jul 22, 2001
God's Country
and we have not had either for a long time.

A lot of frustration with everything. Here we are, we could possibly win 8 or 9 games, go to a bowl again, but I will feel like we are a 4 or 5 win team. Stockstill manages to produce a trifecta of calamity. Lose Homecoming. Lose to your Arch Rivals. Lose to the nearest FBS program. All three, two years in a row. Do we want to go for three years in a row? Does anyone really need an explanation on the lack of excitement surrounding this program. Ticket sales, butts in seat/

Raiders lose the homecoming game, again. Way to go, guys. I think a horror movie could be made on MT homecomings.

We continue to fail to seize the initiative when presented with the opportunity. You do not lose two games in a row to your arch rival where one you are run off the field and then lose by one point in double OT in a game where it should never have got to that point.

AND, you do not lose two games in a row, to the inept football program 30 minutes up the road, the first where you blow a ten point lead in the fourth quarter, and then spot them 20+ points with stupid errors.

What we need is another contract extension...

and we have not had either for a long time.

A lot of frustration with everything. Here we are, we could possibly win 8 or 9 games, go to a bowl again, but I will feel like we are a 4 or 5 win team. Stockstill manages to produce a trifecta of calamity. Lose Homecoming. Lose to your Arch Rivals. Lose to the nearest FBS program. All three, two years in a row. Do we want to go for three years in a row? Does anyone really need an explanation on the lack of excitement surrounding this program. Ticket sales, butts in seat/

Raiders lose the homecoming game, again. Way to go, guys. I think a horror movie could be made on MT homecomings.

We continue to fail to seize the initiative when presented with the opportunity. You do not lose two games in a row to your arch rival where one you are run off the field and then lose by one point in double OT in a game where it should never have got to that point.

AND, you do not lose two games in a row, to the inept football program 30 minutes up the road, the first where you blow a ten point lead in the fourth quarter, and then spot them 20+ points with stupid errors.

What we need is another contract extension...
You'll get it if he wins two more this season. Another year gets added.

So I heard this week from a former player that Massaro doesnt want former players getting free tickets because the program isnt making money. maybe he should take a look at the contracts of his football coaches and look at the product put on the field and that will give hi a good indication of why the program isn't making money

Reactions: MTOleBlue
I still don't get why we had to give Stock a new contract. It would have been better for everybody involved if we forced him to leave back in the day. I wonder, how close is he to being under .500 for his career now? I have to imagine he's getting closer each year. It's just so frustrating and this CRAP is the biggest reason why no one cares about MT football... and why should they, when we look like this and have these idiot coaches like Stockstill?? People want to see quality play, good players and smart coaches. We have maybe one of those three things.

I said it in the game thread - there's a disconnect between the AD and the fan base/marketplace.

The powers see a 6-6 season, with a bowl game loss, and consider it a success - and wonder why the fans aren't supporting the team and the donor base is dwindling.

The fan base, OTOH, is tired of being continually disappointed - over and over again, for the far better part of a decade. No one wants to invest their time and money in something that continually makes them feel bad, or sends them home frustrated.

I had to get away from all things MT for a while.

Ok...here goes....

First...the business side of the football program:

Where is the accountability? Where is it? Wiley stated in another thread that other programs would be grilled with this type of performance. Who is going to hold Stockstill acountable? Can you? Can you hold someone who has a contract well into the next decade accountable? You can't. Chris Massaro has made a flipping terrible move in this contract extension. As a supporter of this school, this is absolutely asinine. We are stuck with it. So, Chris Massaro should be accountable. The guy has really put the program in a position where it is stuck.

This play not to lose is method is how Rick Stockstill plays. The first time I saw this in a shoulda win game was vs Virginia in the late 2000s. Dwight Dasher was having a field day on their defense and on a 4th and 1...Stockstill punts the damn ball with seconds on the clock. Stockstill needs depends because that coach can crap the bed.

I thought the offense was clicking today. Yeah, there were a lot of missed opportunities but they looked good. Defense was not so much. They made the big plays when it counted but leave it up to your 800k/year coach to rip their efforts away from them. Richie James is a lot of fun to watch on the deep ball. Mathers is a bulldozer. Cutre on D make a HUGE int.

I don't have anywhere else to go. I am not going to support another school. Hell, I have fallen off the wagon at MT so bad, I haven't brought the entire family to tailgate in YEARS. I used to love Saturdays but there is no way in hell I can dole out the type of money it takes for a family of 6 for this. There is no no no no way. I suppose I will continue to fade like Marty McFly until this bozo's contract expires. The situation isn't good.

Good night.

Players played good enough to win. Coaches blew it. It now looks like it will be at least another year before MT has any real chance of stirring any real interest in fans and getting a few more to attend games.

Judging by many of the similar type seasons under coach stock for the last 10 years, attendance will likely gradually trend downwards from here to the end of the season.

Regardless of one fan's observations and expectations for the team, it continues to remain disappointing that not much of anything is changing to bring some hope and life to attendance. It seems today's loss was another blown opportunity to maybe keep a few extra fans attending the rest of the season instead of the usual attrition.

I'm going to stick to the defense being the biggest problem. I would have loved to have had some confidence after the questionable 4th and 1, that the defense could/would stop them. Sadly, I had none. A competent defense would have kept us out of the last drive nonsense to begin with. Bend-don't break needs to get tossed in the garbage. If you ask me, it ends up permeating the mentality of the program. And that's what we've gotten. A hair above 50/50.
The way I see it Brent has the possibility to come close to breaking CUSA records and for that alone, I will give CRS some leeway. Bringing in national attention cannot hurt the long-term outlook.
Try Nix needs to be on notice. Manny's D was smaller but faster and exponentially more aggressive.

Speaking of defensive failures. We score to go up 20-17 with 31(!) seconds to go in the first half and the defense manages to give up a game tying field goal before halftime. I thought that was a huge point in the game. After our touchdown, I thought we had a 60% chance to go up 27-17 since we got the ball to start the second half.

The game should have been won after we intercepted the ball. We should have been able to run out the clock. We come in every year from Dallas for a game or two. It's just painful to watch you"hopes" wane away.. we need to focus on developing a defense. If Western Michigan can break into the top 25.. MT should! Plain and simple..

Playing not to lose. It's been said by multiple posters.

But the fact is , RS gets away with this because he doesn't have to win.

Massaro and the AD have determined that 6 wins is the threshold for a successful season. Nothing more is needed.

I knew when I heard the talk about how "win or lose were still in the driver's seat " that we were screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT