ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day Experience at Floyd

DisgruntledAlum

True Blue
Nov 8, 2021
What game day experiences would you like to see added at Floyd?

Play same songs in between 1st and 2nd and 3rd & 4th quarters: like Sweet Caroline and how Bama plays Dixieland Delight and WVU plays Country Roads. songs the crowd can get into and sing along.

I'd love to see a true beer garden built in endzone. Where fans can go in and order food & beer and have a standing area with pub tables overlooking the field. TV's inside as well.

Reactions: SpaceRaider
I would like to see some new chants. Like one side of the stadium yells MT the other side yells SU. That’s an easy one that can be lead by the cheerleaders and cost no money. The wave would be fun to do (not sure we have enough fans though).

I’d like for the band to play a short song when the opposing team is having a critical play coming up. Clemson and South Carolina do it and it adds an intimidating factor to the game. I’d love to have something short that lets everyone know a big play is coming. See link below for Clemson’s song. I grew up a Clemson fan and I still get fired up hearing that when I watch their games. Again these cost absolutely nothing and adds to the fan experience.

Edited to add South Carolina’s:

Last edited:
Dress one of our track guys up in blue at halftime & call him "Lightning". Have a halftime race with a fan just like Atlanta does with The Freeze. Winner can get a $100 gift card just like they do with maybe an autographed team picture. Really cheap, but something for the fans to stick around for & help to keep fans in the seats for 2nd half. Maybe do it between 3rd & 4th quarters instead of halftime.

STH since we moved up until 2020. Reason I have not renewed was not wins/losses, it was the Game Day experience. It is Awful.
Tail gating in the Grove has dwindled to almost nothing. Raider walk has no interest from fans whatsoever ( where ‘err body at? )
Once inside the stadium it does not get much better. The fans that do come don’t seem to want to get into the game by participating. Just seems dead.
I’d like to see Yell Leaders in sections of the stands ( much like TAM ) to help lead Fans in cheers/chants and to educate the fans on what to do. Seems like a lot are lost or don’t care to participate. I’d love to see a Blue Raider on a White Horse bury a lightning bolt at mid field right before the team runs on the field. Always love that when FSU did it. Heck, even Riverdale HS did it for years.
Be great to see us do some of the things ewglenn mentioned above, but to pull that off we need a student section to show up and participate.
I’ve been to Clemson, OU, Georgia, VT, Arkansas in recent seasons and had so much fun with their game day experience and not having a dog in the hunt. I realize they are big schools with unlimited resources but Just look around and find something that works for our crowd. It really does need help
I went to Woodfin Funeral home the other day and a Blue Raider game broke out

Last edited:
More food options on the HH side along with merch booths. Just more of a cool "we want you to be here" vibe making it easy to connect. There is no reason to not have more retail options on all sides of the stadium.

Beating a dead horse here, but atmosphere is a function of the crowd. If the crowd isn't into it, then all the offerings are going to be a waste.

I'd like to add some better merchandising - I came from Knoxville for the UTSA game and was really disappointed in the offerings. It's tough to get everyone dressed in school garb when that stuff is hard to buy.

Best game day experience was when we had something to play for.

I’d add delivery of food to bleachers. It’s 2023. Why isn’t this a thing.

Regardless of yippe o ki yay third quarter shenanigans.

Merchandise at the stadium is a major major issue. That room is just too small and selection is horrible.

Food offerings could be better as well. I really think they should just bring in food trucks. Have a theme for each game.

A section ambassador would help, but again, need a crowd. Shrinking the capacity is the right call and I think it could be even more. The new video board will help as well.

I've said before, beer garden. That whole endzone should be it. Create a true atmosphere there.

Merchandise at the stadium is a major major issue. That room is just too small and selection is horrible.

Food offerings could be better as well. I really think they should just bring in food trucks. Have a theme for each game.

A section ambassador would help, but again, need a crowd. Shrinking the capacity is the right call and I think it could be even more. The new video board will help as well.

I've said before, beer garden. That whole endzone should be it. Create a true atmosphere there.
They did do better last year with the food trucks at the games. Slim and Huskeys was there as well as Kona Ice for the kids. I’d like to see some more options too. Might not be a bad idea to have one or two setup in Walnut Grove before the games. Someone like Singletree BBQ would probably be happy to come. Also, having a good vendor with hot dogs walking the stands would be nice for those of us that actually want to watch the game. Also, it might not be a bad idea to show updates of conference games on the video board. I know they occasionally do it on the ribbons but I’d like to see a highlight or two. Easy ways to get fans invested in conference play.

My wife suggested better food options, more giveaways and more mascot in the stands throughout the game.

You have to make a must see event, with pregame bands that people have heard off in the area, see where all these people are moving to the area from and try to schedule teams from that area. have education day so kids get in free mo. and dad and sell family food options. 4 dogs, 4 drinks and LG popcorn 20 bucks. look what thay have done at Mercedes Benz with all the food you get for 20. Do more themes and giveaways to keep students coming. and the #1 just win baby.

Reactions: MidTennMtneer
Hopefully someone will see al the ideas. I know some will cost more but were just brainstorming here.

I think we need more traditions created. Something we can expect at every game, besides a loss.

Take Bama's Dixieland Delight, they have their own words they sing, the cowbell at MS State, just something that creates some buzz.

You have to make a must see event, with pregame bands that people have heard off in the area, see where all these people are moving to the area from and try to schedule teams from that area. have education day so kids get in free mo. and dad and sell family food options. 4 dogs, 4 drinks and LG popcorn 20 bucks. look what thay have done at Mercedes Benz with all the food you get for 20. Do more themes and giveaways to keep students coming. and the #1 just win baby.
love the 20 dollar bundle idea…

BYU in 14 was awful. Troy in 12 and Marshall in 13 were pretty rough too.
Marshall in '13 was terrible. Easily teens wind chill. Half the crowd had left. My wife and youngest daughter were huddled under the blanket and everyone there was drinking hot chocolate.
On the last second TD I jumped with my wife & daughter not even moving. My wife has refused to go to games not at the start of the season since.

That was when MTSU Tees ran Lightning's. They sold out of gloves and blankets that night.

My 1st choice, MORE WINS... I DO NOT accept mediocrity...

2. ... less piped in music and more MTSU Band...

3. ... start new traditions and not what other schools do...
Use a mixture of Famous/Notable MTSU Supporters/Alumni & random choices to lead the team onto the field before the game... Make a big deal of it... Have a sign up and drawing to include more folk... Create an excitement not presently shown...

4. Create a candy line to be sold at games and eventually the mid-state and all of Tennessee...

5. Return to what was once a big thing... Install game day activities requiring campus organizations to attend and participate... Recognize the winner's and publish/advertise them widely...

6. Add a new mascot... While our current mascot is ok for kids, most adults I have spoken to DETEST our current one... Our moniker is a Blue Raider... Use this and expand it to do what no other school has done... Have several: Black, White, Hispanic, Oriental, Female all dressed in an outfit symbolizing a Blue Raider...

I have numerous other ideas if someone in the Athletic Department wants to talk...

Marshall in '13 was terrible. Easily teens wind chill. Half the crowd had left. My wife and youngest daughter were huddled under the blanket and everyone there was drinking hot chocolate.
On the last second TD I jumped with my wife & daughter not even moving. My wife has refused to go to games not at the start of the season since.

That was when MTSU Tees ran Lightning's. They sold out of gloves and blankets that night.
A friend and her daughter were sitting with me the whole game. Thankfully there were vendors in the stands selling hot chocolate. At least four times we bought hot chocolate. Whenever the games are cold we refer to those nights as 4 Hot Chocolate nights, even though we haven't seen those guys in years.

Holy cow. What year?😄

MBS has the cheapest concession price in the NFL. A hot dog and beer at MBS is 20% cheaper than at the next cheapest NFL stadium. Arthur Blank (Falcon’s owner) made a big deal about it being cheap when MBS replaced the Georgia Dome. It’s a nice trade off because ticket prices are not cheap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT