ADVERTISEMENT

Problem With Offensive Scheme

MT01

All American
Aug 1, 2005
For almost all of Ricks 18 years here there has been a fundamental flaw with the offensive scheme. The same issue lurks beneath the surface Year after year. Yes, terrible OL play is part of the issue but there is something else and this last game really helps elucidate it. And would like some of you coach types to weigh in on this.

Yesterday both QBs completed 30 passes. Both offenses employ similar attributes schematically. But CSU got 66 more yards out of their 30 completions than we did. This in spite of CSU basically throwing a bunch of East/west WR screens and five yard out routes.

It doesn’t sound like much but how many times do we throw a sideways pass and only get a yard or two? CSU was consistently getting five yards on those types of plays. Which resulted in CSU having less yards to go on 3rd down. We weren’t terrible on 3rd down but CSU won that game on 55% third down conversion rate to our 41%. Why is that when we beat them in every other phase of the game is it so difficult to convert on third down? Because it’s easier to convert on 3rd and 2 or 3 than it is 3rd and 5 or 6. Especially when CSU knows they have built in five yard plays. This has always been a problem schematically for Ricks teams. When you rush for 150 yards and triple the opponents total you should never lose unless you turn it over four or five times. It just blows my mind how often we throw into the boundary when we don’t have the numbers or the DBs are are playing bump. Opponents can do this to us because they don’t respect our vertical passing game. If we’re going to throw 25 WR screens and jet sweeps we’ve got throw down the field more. As many screens as we throw we should run the fake screen to a streaking fake blocker at least five times a game to give our WRs a little more space to operate in space. We ran it once last week against Murray and it went for a TD. I think we only ran it once yesterday and it went incomplete because Nick didn’t have enough time. I thought the OL did a nice job run blocking but they have got to get better in protection. That’s coaching. Ah nevermind we know the problem there. All of this is connected though. It’s such minor things that would be the difference in probably at least two more scoring chances that get wasted. And these can’t be wasted anymore with the new clock rules. There are less possessions. Efficiency is far more important now than it was in years past with these new rules.

Another reason this occurred is because opposing offenses can do what CSU did to to us because we pretty much give that yardage away. I wanted to pull my hair out under four when CSU kept throwing the screen under four mins to play and our DBs were playing 10 yards off the line. Why they elected to run the ball on that last 3rd down I have no idea. If they want to potentially throw an incompletion 40 yards down the field and stop the clock then take your shot. But to keep giving them room to throw those sidleline passes blew my mind. They knew they couldn’t run it. We should have had a DB ready to jump one of those for a pick six. But we choose to compete instead of win. Sigh

For almost all of Ricks 18 years here there has been a fundamental flaw with the offensive scheme. The same issue lurks beneath the surface Year after year. Yes, terrible OL play is part of the issue but there is something else and this last game really helps elucidate it. And would like some of you coach types to weigh in on this.

Yesterday both QBs completed 30 passes. Both offenses employ similar attributes schematically. But CSU got 66 more yards out of their 30 completions than we did. This in spite of CSU basically throwing a bunch of East/west WR screens and five yard out routes.

It doesn’t sound like much but how many times do we throw a sideways pass and only get a yard or two? CSU was consistently getting five yards on those types of plays. Which resulted in CSU having less yards to go on 3rd down. We weren’t terrible on 3rd down but CSU won that game on 55% third down conversion rate to our 41%. Why is that when we beat them in every other phase of the game is it so difficult to convert on third down? Because it’s easier to convert on 3rd and 2 or 3 than it is 3rd and 5 or 6. Especially when CSU knows they have built in five yard plays. This has always been a problem schematically for Ricks teams. When you rush for 150 yards and triple the opponents total you should never lose unless you turn it over four or five times. It just blows my mind how often we throw into the boundary when we don’t have the numbers or the DBs are are playing bump. Opponents can do this to us because they don’t respect our vertical passing game. If we’re going to throw 25 WR screens and jet sweeps we’ve got throw down the field more. As many screens as we throw we should run the fake screen to a streaking fake blocker at least five times a game to give our WRs a little more space to operate in space. We ran it once last week against Murray and it went for a TD. I think we only ran it once yesterday and it went incomplete because Nick didn’t have enough time. I thought the OL did a nice job run blocking but they have got to get better in protection. That’s coaching. Ah nevermind we know the problem there. All of this is connected though. It’s such minor things that would be the difference in probably at least two more scoring chances that get wasted. And these can’t be wasted anymore with the new clock rules. There are less possessions. Efficiency is far more important now than it was in years past with these new rules.

Another reason this occurred is because opposing offenses can do what CSU did to to us because we pretty much give that yardage away. I wanted to pull my hair out under four when CSU kept throwing the screen under four mins to play and our DBs were playing 10 yards off the line. Why they elected to run the ball on that last 3rd down I have no idea. If they want to potentially throw an incompletion 40 yards down the field and stop the clock then take your shot. But to keep giving them room to throw those sidleline passes blew my mind. They knew they couldn’t run it. We should have had a DB ready to jump one of those for a pick six. But we choose to compete instead of win. Sigh
I've noticed the same thing too. MT's offense is too reliant on the jet sweep & WR screen game.

There are some potential reasons for this :
1) WR has traditionally been an area of strength : Get the ball to your skill guys as fast as possible & pray they make a man miss.

2) OL has been a weakness. If you can't protect the QB long enough to push the ball vertical, then you have to rely on Quicks / Screens & YAC.

3) I'd be curious why MT doesn't run more play action rollout with Y-Cross. It seems to me that Y-Cross with rollout (with a "gift" / hot backside vs blitz) could give you the time to push vertical, give QB the ability to run if the pass isn't there, & a hot vs blitz.

Not that it’s perfect but I think we have the best offensive coordinator we have had in a long time. The play calling seems much better than in prior years, however we have a weak OL that limits things.

Reactions: AustinLewis
Not that it’s perfect but I think we have the best offensive coordinator we have had in a long time. The play calling seems much better than in prior years, however we have a weak OL that limits things.
I don't mind the WR screen game. It has a place and the use of screen to set up the last TD vs Murray State (fake block & go) was an excellent use of the screen game to set up a shot play.

But, at some point, the passing game needs to go vertical. They need to force S to respect the deep ball. And they need to keep those CB playing a little softer (that should help those jet sweeps too).

And the OL needs to be able to protect long enough so you CAN go vertical.

But...that still leaves a question :

Is the fascination with the WR game something Stock likes (because we've seen it across coordinators) or is it something that every coordinator he hires likes / calls?

I don't mind the WR screen game. It has a place and the use of screen to set up the last TD vs Murray State (fake block & go) was an excellent use of the screen game to set up a shot play.

But, at some point, the passing game needs to go vertical. They need to force S to respect the deep ball. And they need to keep those CB playing a little softer (that should help those jet sweeps too).

Is the fascination with the WR game something Stock likes (because we've seen it across coordinators) or is it something that every coordinator he hires likes / calls?
IMO, there is too much "horizontal" to run & screen game. At some point, you need to put a vertical element in run / pass attack. Get those RB going downhill on inside zone or another OG-to-OG run concept. Get those WR pushing CBs vertical.

I've noticed all that and I fully believe it is because of our OL play. We are severely restricted.

It just amazes me that Stock didn't
A...fix it when his son was the one getting injured
B....fix it when his son became QB coach or that Brent didn't fuss like crazy
C..that the OC hasn't raised absolute holy cane over it
D...that the DC hasn't raise cane because it creates so many quick 3 and outs.

I mean the OL has been an issue for literally the last 10yrs.

I wanted to pull my hair out under four when CSU kept throwing the screen under four mins to play and our DBs were playing 10 yards off the line.

This needs to be discussed more. I like Shafer but what the actual F was that? I have watched college football for 25 years and I have never seen a team try to run the clock out throwing the ball every down. EVER. I was furious watching that happen and it quickly turned to disbelief. It's probably a good thing I don't go to these games because I would look like a fool yelling at these coaches and probably get tossed, and I'm too old for that.

Anyway......like you said, I have no idea why CSU even finally decided to run the ball because we were giving them 7-8 yards all day long on their quick game. Absolutely puzzling. They could have just ran out the clock with the WR screen.

It's a shame there is not some accountability when it comes to clear stupidity like that that even us "dumb message board people" can see. The DB coach should have been all over their @$$ to get up and press man. Garbage trash secondary. They were so scared of the CSU defenders they were afraid to man up. Our secondary was going to let them burn the final 5 minutes of the game too but CSU tried to match their stupidity by running the ball against our front 7. Both teams and players made some real head scratching moves out there. Which makes sense I guess, considering they are both 1-3 and great at getting beat.

Last edited:

In this game, CSU changed their D front by the 4th drive. Add that our OL is atrocious, even with hard running from our RBs & it’s an extension of the running game. I think it’s a necessity.

I don’t know how Mallory still has a job. I won’t call the player out by name, but we have a starter that has no business being on a FBS field. That said, our inconsistencies & technique breakdown is just killer. We fundamental breakdowns that cannot happen in a zone blocking scheme and we struggle to pick up a fifth man or get to the second level blocking.

I will add, Nick missed a few wide open reads. It seems they are only giving him simple if/then reads and not many full progression reads I would expect from a true air raid scheme. I counted 3 reads he just missed if he was going through true progressions. Then again, I would want to get rid of the ball quick given we struggle blocking.

You mention Y cross. I am dying to see mesh or smash drive in this game. We have abandoned attacking the middle of the field for most of the game.

For the most part, save execution, and not checking out of 3 plays, I actually liked the first scheme given our OL shortcomings. But instead of 2 QBs on the field at once and double reverses, how about just core air raid crossing concepts or freaking slot choice routes? We get cute instead of using air raid concepts that are tried and true to compliment screens, y stick, and hitches.

Stewart and CRS must have low confidence in Nicks ability to make those throws/reads or just zero belief the OL can hold blocks.

Long ramblings of a sometimes OC.

It seems like there's little to no time to go through a progression when the OL isn't even providing a speed bump to the opposing team's defenders.

Funny how the nation's worst college football offensive line is here in Murfreesboro, & only 30 minutes away in Nashville is the nation's worst professional football offensive line. Lucky us. Only a few weeks in & our local team's are already hamstringing me looking forward to the weekend.
I actually turned the channel & watched some of the WNBA playoffs instead. Good lord, what did I just say??😁

We have way too many technique / communication breakdowns on the OL. At times, it feels like I am breaking down a quality HS film. It’s odd, because it’s not the entire OL, but it’s a fundamental issue that limits playcalling and it’s something we see annually. Overwhelmingly, most of our drives stalled Saturday because of OL problems and not play calls. Obviously the gimmick 4th down call and double reverse are examples we can’t blame on the OL. However, a majority of our stalls were caused by OL mistakes.

It’s a constant theme with MT under CRS. Our failure in hiring after JRS resigned in 2011 and our unwillingness to move away from Mallory/ Polly is a major reason we struggle against teams with a pulse.

In this game, CSU changed their D front by the 4th drive. Add that our OL is atrocious, even with hard running from our RBs & it’s an extension of the running game. I think it’s a necessity.

I don’t know how Mallory still has a job. I won’t call the player out by name, but we have a starter that has no business being on a FBS field. That said, our inconsistencies & technique breakdown is just killer. We fundamental breakdowns that cannot happen in a zone blocking scheme and we struggle to pick up a fifth man or get to the second level blocking.

I will add, Nick missed a few wide open reads. It seems they are only giving him simple if/then reads and not many full progression reads I would expect from a true air raid scheme. I counted 3 reads he just missed if he was going through true progressions. Then again, I would want to get rid of the ball quick given we struggle blocking.

You mention Y cross. I am dying to see mesh or smash drive in this game. We have abandoned attacking the middle of the field for most of the game.

For the most part, save execution, and not checking out of 3 plays, I actually liked the first scheme given our OL shortcomings. But instead of 2 QBs on the field at once and double reverses, how about just core air raid crossing concepts or freaking slot choice routes? We get cute instead of using air raid concepts that are tried and true to compliment screens, y stick, and hitches.

Stewart and CRS must have low confidence in Nicks ability to make those throws/reads or just zero belief the OL can hold blocks.

Long ramblings of a sometimes OC.
I thought the same thing. We got cute and fumbled the ball resulting in a TD. Need some more short crossing routes to open things up.

This needs to be discussed more. I like Shafer but what the actual F was that? I have watched college football for 25 years and I have never seen a team try to run the clock out throwing the ball every down. EVER. I was furious watching that happen and it quickly turned to disbelief. It's probably a good thing I don't go to these games because I would look like a fool yelling at these coaches and probably get tossed, and I'm too old for that.

Anyway......like you said, I have no idea why CSU even finally decided to run the ball because we were giving them 7-8 yards all day long on their quick game. Absolutely puzzling. They could have just ran out the clock with the WR screen.

It's a shame there is not some accountability when it comes to clear stupidity like that that even us "dumb message board people" can see. The DB coach should have been all over their @$$ to get up and press man. Garbage trash secondary. They were so scared of the CSU defenders they were afraid to man up. Our secondary was going to let them burn the final 5 minutes of the game too but CSU tried to match their stupidity by running the ball against our front 7. Both teams and players made some real head scratching moves out there. Which makes sense I guess, considering they are both 1-3 and great at getting beat.
I was there watching our LBs and Safeties misread Horton and the TE all night. It was either a cross, short out or seam route and we are lining off the LOS by 8 yards with the LBs moving off mid coverage pre snap to either blitz or fake blitz. All that did was give the WR's room to get open and CSU's QB had a quick enough release to where the blitz was ineffective. Drop back a LB in mid field coverage and the QB has to read through a progression. Just made no sense.

On O, we have no identity and no consistent gameplan. We just look lost. We have talent. More than enough to win. We don't have good coaching. That's the issue.

I grew up a Dolphins fan but quit on the NFL a long time ago. I can't remember the last time I watched a regular season NFL game, but I saw the score and kind wanted to see how they pasted 70 on the Broncos. I figured it was a bunch of turnovers, blocked punts, etc, but I decided to watch the 15 minute highlights on the Tube.

My goodness that offense Miami is running with Tua is innovative. Most innovative thing I've seen in a long time. It actually looks like a college offense. We never bring anything like that to our schemes. It's literally the same thing every year. It's so easy for defenses to prepare for us.

We have some WR/TE dawgs & we do not utilize that vertical/slant over the middle enough. Not near enough for anything to work offensively. There are some real playmakers that aren’t afraid to go over the middle or go up & get it. Screens only work when the screener gets their block. Wake up & see the strengths in that WR room and use the heck out of it. We’ve seen glimpses of this. Why aren’t we exploiting it & riding it to wins? Scrap the playbook & wing it on the talent in that room.

Reactions: Hop45
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT